2020-2021 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is the Lecom program remote?

I did an SMP at Rutgers, NJMS, but there were no gaurantees and pretty high standards for an interview or acceptance. Finished with a 3.4, but I wish I did an SMP somewhere else, because its looking as if I have to take another SMP at this rate if I keep getting waitlisted.
This year the program has been remote due to COVID (which is why I am still in Utah and was hoping to stay in state). I believe plans for next year are still being debated but there is, in my opinion, a good chance they will continue to be remote.

While I have complaints about my SMP, I'm sure I would have the same/similar anywhere and they are just logistical things. I would 100% choose LECOMs MMS program again, knowing what I know. And I was offered admission to several SMPs last year. I firmly believe this program prepares students well and they are fair. The 3.3 benchmark is hard to make, but doable if you put in the work. My class started with 170 students and we came back from winter break with ~125 and I'm sure that number will decrease throughout this final semester as well.

I really want to inspire people. You can do it! Because really, if I can do it as a single mom of a 2 year old, you can too!

It's nice to work toward having a seat at LECOM through their SMP, but there are always folks who take this opportunity elsewhere. Even NOORDA brought up how impressed they were by LECOMs MMS program during my interview. They have a good reputation for turning out prepared students.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
That hurts. I’m sorry you were jumped over. Definitely doesn’t make a lot of sense. I feel for all of you t25s!
It’s ok. I didn’t mean to come across as salty or anything lol. I feel like noorda saw something in those waitlisted applicants that maybe they just didn’t see in mine and that’s ok. It sounds corny but I really do believe we all end up where we need to be and that the experiences in life (negative or positive) have a purpose to them. I’m really happy for everyone accepted and I hope a lot of us waiting will get the answers we want eventually!

Reactions: 2 users
Did you guys read the waitlist update email.

it says they anticipate movement through spring and summer, but if we haven’t been accepted by March 15 we can contact them for advice for the future? That sounds like if we don’t get in by the 15th we probably won’t. Or am I reading this wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys read the waitlist update email.

it says they anticipate movement through spring and summer, but if we haven’t been accepted by March 15 we can contact them for advice for the future? That sounds like if we don’t get in by the 15th we probably won’t. Or am I reading this wrong.
Confused by that email too! Sounds like the last big round of acceptances will be Mar h 15, with fewer acceptances spring and summer 🙁

Confused by that email too! Sounds like the last big round of acceptances will be Mar h 15, with fewer acceptances spring and summer 🙁
Dang.

So it is not likely for a WL person will leave the list if they’re not selected by March 15?

Was this today? I guess those of us who went from top --> lower tier don't get the consideration of this communication... (yes, I checked all mailboxes and junk)
1pm PST

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't confirmed my spot and I'm waiting on an answer from another school tomorrow... Let's hope it works out so one of you can come off the WL before March 15th. :giggle:

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Dang.

So it is not likely for a WL person will leave the list if they’re not selected by March 15?
The way it’s worded I think that the second round of interviews were in fact competing for waitlist spots and not acceptance spots itself. I could be wrong, but perhaps someone else can help me interpret this.

The way it’s worded I think that the second round of interviews were in fact competing for waitlist spots and not acceptance spots itself. I could be wrong, but perhaps someone else can help me interpret this.
I read the email and it is kind of harrowing, in my opinion.

So it seems that they might have their class set in stone by March 15? I’m befuddled as well.

I read the email and it is kind of harrowing, in my opinion.

So it seems that they might have their class set in stone by March 15? I’m befuddled as well.
That’s what I felt from the email. +\- a spot here and there

Maybe someone could post this email?

We understand you may have questions surrounding the admissions waitlist at Noorda-COM. We are excited by the quality of the application pool, which makes narrowing the field down to our class of 90 challenging. Medical schools generally do not provide in-depth information regarding the application process. What we can share is that Noorda-COM has enjoyed a high number (greater than 80%) of acceptances from our first round of admissions offers, which subsequently decreases any additional offers we can extend the rest of this cycle. If we exceed our approved class size, it puts the entire cohort at risk due to accreditation restrictions.

We are committed to giving every applicant equal consideration regardless of when they applied or interviewed and have strategically structured acceptance offers in support of that commitment. The application pool is exceptionally dynamic due to the AACOMAS updates we receive from those who have completed their interviews. As a result, we are constantly updating and re-evaluating waitlists based on a variety of academic and non-academic qualifications.

Noorda-COM has strived to be as transparent as possible, but as with any college or university, there are limits on what we share. We have a legal responsibility to protect the personal information of both applicants and accepted students and as such are unable to disclose this protected information and why adjustments were made within our waitlist. Like many other medical schools, we anticipate some waitlist movement throughout the spring and into summer.

If you have not been accepted into the inaugural class by March 15, you may contact our admissions team to discuss ways to strengthen your application for future consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also just take this as more of a confirmation that they don't plan to look at lower tiers again (silent rejections) since we didn't even get this email.

My utmost sympathies. This admissions process just bites.

• Care
This is wild that Noorda is so many people’s first choice. I wonder what dynamic caused the unexpectedly high number securing their seat.
Noorda was my only interview, but would still be my top choice if I did have other options.

This is wild that Noorda is so many people’s first choice. I wonder what dynamic caused the unexpectedly high number securing their seat.
Noorda was my only interview, but would still be my top choice if I did have other options.
I don’t mean disrespect to anyone, but I believe they did their best to be holistic and look past the numbers. Many people who are posting on here who received interviews are posting low GPA’s and MCAT’s and some even sub 3.0/500. Other more established schools typically wouldn’t consider these GPA’s. So for many this is their only choice or choice between a few schools. I also have a very low gpa so I understand the difficulty of this process.

It's probably a mix. Applications to MD and DO were both up by I think 17% and 18% respectively... A lot of people haven't even heard back from many schools they applied to this year yet. A non-negligible proportion of accepted students at Noorda still probably didn't have any other options and jumped at the opportunity.
This is not an easy cycle. =(

80% of acceptances is very high for a normal DO school, much less a new one. However, this isn’t like past new DO schools, so it makes sense.

There are some seriously unique and amazing advantages to this school over almost every other DO school in my opinion, and if they pull it off, they will be top contenders once people can get federal loans.

The lack of federal loans is pretty much the only downside to me, and it isn’t the end of the world.

I don’t mean disrespect to anyone, but I believe they did their best to be holistic and look past the numbers. Many people who are posting on here who received interviews are posting low GPA’s and MCAT’s and some even sub 3.0/500. Other more established schools typically wouldn’t consider these GPA’s. So for many this is their only choice or choice between a few schools. I also have a very low gpa so I understand the difficulty of this process.
Same boat. Very glad I at least have a shot, that makes sense, that there are a lot that are in the same situation. I certainly would take it right away if I got an offer.

It's probably a mix. Applications to MD and DO were both up by I think 17% and 18% respectively... A lot of people haven't even heard back from many schools they applied to this year yet. A non-negligible proportion of accepted students at Noorda still probably didn't have any other options and jumped at the opportunity.
This is not an easy cycle. =(
To be fair, medicine has not been or will ever be easy in terms of a cycle.

While this one could be challenging, I doubt the difficulty and stress will ever drop by a significant amount unless the system radically changes.

That’s what I felt from the email. +\- a spot here and there
Man...that is concerning, especially because I’m in the mid tier part of the waitlist.

There is still the upper crust I have to pass -_-.

To be fair, medicine has not been or will ever be easy in terms of a cycle.

While this one could be challenging, I doubt the difficulty and stress will ever drop by a significant amount unless the system radically changes.
Yes, true. However, this cycle is markedly worse as a larger percentage of very qualified applicants (more than usual) will not get in and there's no way around this fact. It leads to people hanging on tighter to whatever they can get their hands on as there are even less seats per applicant.

In other words... You are all awesome and deserve a seat and this year of all years is especially rough. Not to mention a lot of us are on edge with everything else going on in the world. Virtual hugs all around.

• Care
Yes, true. However, this cycle is markedly worse as a larger percentage of very qualified applicants (more than usual) will not get in and there's no way around this fact. It leads to people hanging on tighter to whatever they can get their hands on as there are even less seats per applicant.

In other words... You are all awesome and deserve a seat and this year of all years is especially rough. Not to mention a lot of us are on edge with everything else going on in the world. Virtual hugs all around.
Fair enough. I’m in a situation where it is always hard: ORM in a competitive state (CA).

• Care
Withdrew my application from this school so that lessens the middle tier waitlist population. Best of luck to those still going strong in this process, you got this!

Reactions: 16 users
So I know this school uses private loans and all but does this mean I could not qualify for certain loans due to a bad credit score? I don't own any credit cards but last year, someone took my identify and charged 2k to my name. I'm currently fighting it but it's a long process.

So I know this school uses private loans and all but does this mean I could not qualify for certain loans due to a bad credit score? I don't own any credit cards but last year, someone took my identify and charged 2k to my name. I'm currently fighting it but it's a long process.
Your interest rate and what you qualify for is based off of your credit score.

That’s a tough situation that unfortunately may impact your ability to qualify for or get god rates on private loans

• Sad
This is well put. I would add those of us who applied later were at a disadvantage as well, as most late applicants are.

It looks like top tiers got an email yesterday clarifying some things on the waitlist, did mid-tiers or low tiers get this same email?

It looks like top tiers got an email yesterday clarifying some things on the waitlist, did mid-tiers or low tiers get this same email?
I got it and I’m middle tier. I thought everyone would have gotten it.

This is well put. I would add those of us who applied later were at a disadvantage as well, as most late applicants are.
Wonder what qualifies as “late” for the school?

I interviewed in Jan after all.

Wonder what qualifies as “late” for the school?

I interviewed in Jan after all.
I'm not sure if late is the right word... there have only been 2 batches. December and January. So, I guess if @OsteoHopeful1 is trying to say that January interviews are at a disadvantage compared to December Interviews because they got first consideration?

I'm not sure if late is the right word... there have only been 2 batches. December and January. So, I guess if @OsteoHopeful1 is trying to say that January interviews are at a disadvantage compared to December Interviews because they got first consideration?
Perhaps.

There is also Feb as well for interviews, I recall.

Man...I hate being on the WL. It is a limbo that may result in success...or failure.

Perhaps.

There is also Feb as well for interviews, I recall.

Man...I hate being on the WL. It is a limbo that may result in success...or failure.
yeah, and according to them, they evaluate all applicants the same regardless of when they interviewed. which makes the WL tiers pointless if people drop tiers every time an applicant is added.

yeah, and according to them, they evaluate all applicants the same regardless of when they interviewed. which makes the WL tiers pointless if people drop tiers every time an applicant is added.

Yeah. I saw upper tiers go to the bottom tiers with the last assessment.

It keeps shifting so dramatically - there is no sense of security for applicants.

Yeah. I saw upper tiers go to the bottom tiers with the last assessment.

It keeps shifting so dramatically - there is no sense of security for applicants.

To be fair - it’s not their responsibility to provide us with security. Their responsibility is to construct the highest quality cohort in their opinion, for their institution. That means being dynamic and making changes when they have new information (new applicants/interviews/applicant updates.) I think Noorda was trying to do their best in the upmost of transparency with the tiers, but it backfired a bit.

I’m not upset at how things have gone. I was t25 and now top tier. Overall I’m just sad it seems like I have less of a shot now, however that’s more hope than many other programs provide. I have other WL spots and either I have no clue where I stand, or I know through forums that they are already knee deep in APS before the waitlist will even be touched.

All this to say, I appreciate Noorda for trying to go above and beyond, I think it just didn’t work out the way we had all hoped - and I know that I hoped for too much.

Reactions: 7 users
To be fair - it’s not their responsibility to provide us with security. Their responsibility is to construct the highest quality cohort in their opinion, for their institution. That means being dynamic and making changes when they have new information (new applicants/interviews/applicant updates.) I think Noorda was trying to do their best in the upmost of transparency with the tiers, but it backfired a bit.

I’m not upset at how things have gone. I was t25 and now top tier. Overall I’m just sad it seems like I have less of a shot now, however that’s more hope than many other programs provide. I have other WL spots and either I have no clue where I stand, or I know through forums that they are already knee deep in APS before the waitlist will even be touched.

All this to say, I appreciate Noorda for trying to go above and beyond, I think it just didn’t work out the way we had all hoped - and I know that I hoped for too much.
I think T25 was obliterated as a tier anyways.

Man...med school admissions has been, is and always will be (unless something really changes) a crapshoot. We get kicked around and we thank adcoms for the pleasure of getting kicked.

But yeah...at least Noorda is trying to be more transparent about their process.

I think T25 was obliterated as a tier anyways.

Man...med school admissions has been, is and always will be (unless something really changes) a crapshoot. We get kicked around and we thank adcoms for the pleasure of getting kicked.

But yeah...at least Noorda is trying to be more transparent about their process.

Yep t25 is no more. It felt nice to think I only had 24 people to compete against 😂

• Haha
When I say late I think it means that the earlier applicants have and will have more time being considered. For example they had already given out X number of acceptances before most of us interviewed. This means that January interviewees were going against December WL and now January interviewees for less spots. February Interviewees will be going against more people for even less spots. Thus applying in Dec was and probably still is a benefit.

Either way Noorda is doing their best. Its a tough process. Good students won't get in. All you can do is wait and make sure you applied broadly. Important to look at other places.

When I say late I think it means that the earlier applicants have and will have more time being considered. For example they had already given out X number of acceptances before most of us interviewed. This means that January interviewees were going against December WL and now January interviewees for less spots. February Interviewees will be going against more people for even less spots. Thus applying in Dec was and probably still is a benefit.

Either way Noorda is doing their best. Its a tough process. Good students won't get in. All you can do is wait and make sure you applied broadly. Important to look at other places.
Fair point.

I stupidly abided by the Labor Day rule that is parroted on this forum. I wonder if that damned me.

Then again, my record isn’t the strongest as well in terms of undergrad numbers, so I’m not surprised I wasn’t first in line...

Well, time to hope for the best and expect the worst...

Last edited:
  • Care
For those accepted, are you completing the enrollment thing right away? I know we have a few weeks to respond but is it looked down on if we wait to pay that first deposit the week of the deadline if you're waiting to hear from other schools?

For those accepted, are you completing the enrollment thing right away? I know we have a few weeks to respond but is it looked down on if we wait to pay that first deposit the week of the deadline if you're waiting to hear from other schools?
No. They gave you that time to make a decision, it’s up to you! It might get tight to get everything ready the later you make your decision (bg check, vax, etc)

I just found this article:

In it, the VP of advancement states that they are trying to secure full scholarships for the 90 students of the inaugural class.

I never saw that mentioned anywhere before. Are they still pushing for that?

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

In it, the VP of advancement states that they are trying to secure full scholarships for the 90 students of the inaugural class.

I really hope so. 😂😂😂 I haven’t ever seen this either.

I mean . . . I wouldn't be mad about that. *whistles*

Ummmmm...holy crap.

That is kind of a big deal if they're pushing that through. Now that definitely sweetens the pot for this school.

Ummmmm...holy crap.

That is kind of a big deal if they're pushing that through. Now that definitely sweetens the pot for this school.
Yeah... I mean I am currently trying to make my choice between Noorda and another school with very similar pros and cons and I'm starting to lose my mind. It is such a big decision. If this is true... it would make the decision so much easier.

A full scholarship for the inaugural class (for all 4 years?) would be a COMPLETE game-changer for me as someone accepted here who is also on a few other WLs. The financial jumpstart this would give us would be well worth (imo) the potential troubles we might have in matching to more competitive residency programs as a new school. I would truly pick Noorda over any other DO school (apart from say, the "original 5" ones for personal reasons) if they offered a scholarship as life-changing as this.

I do want to point out though that this article was published in Nov 2020 and they didn't mention any of this in the one-on-one financial advisor meeting I had in Jan 2021 after being accepted.
its pretty normal for new schools to do this. its a new school and with step 1 being pass/fail and for program directors at residencys not being able to see this school's history, that's the least they could do.

its pretty normal for new schools to do this. its a new school and with step 1 being pass/fail and for program directors at residencys not being able to see this school's history, that's the least they could do.
bruh "least" it's $29 million 💀

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users