2020-2021 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why would they have everyone do financial aid meeting, give hpsp info and make connections with Sallie Mae and other lenders and not mention this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah... I mean I am currently trying to make my choice between Noorda and another school with very similar pros and cons and I'm starting to lose my mind. It is such a big decision. If this is true... it would make the decision so much easier.
I’m waitlisted at Noorda, so this is making me just plain glum.

The waitlist will not move at this point.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
That's cool, I wasn't aware of any other DO school that's done this (correct me if I'm wrong!) though I do remember hearing this about a recent new MD school. Tbh if this is a very commonplace occurrence then it might just make me second-guess Noorda's commitment to its students if they don't give us the scholarship and all other schools do for their inaugural class 🤔 I guess I don't know enough to make judgements rn.

That recent school was Kaiser.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think there were two schools in Texas that did this too, but I really doubt noorda will do this since they are pushing the military scholarship and haven’t mentioned it to any of the students yet.

I’m waitlisted at Noorda, so this is making me just plain glum.

The waitlist will not move at this point.

if this were true, WL movement would probably not move considering they alrleady had higher than expected rates of commits.

Last edited:
doesn't really seem feasible like this is a big deal..they would have mentioned it when they were trying to recruit that they had this goal.

Someone just posted an article from an interview of the VP from November & everyone is speculating again. I think we should wait for Noorda-COM to formally announce any sort of scholarship first.

bruh "least" it's $29 million 💀
Hey like Dr. D said, the program directors at residency’s hate that step 1 went pass/fail, it’s going to be extremely hard to get into your top choice from the 1st year school, there is no doubt about that.

doesn't really seem feasible like this is a big deal..they would have mentioned it when they were trying to recruit that they had this goal.

Someone just posted an article from an interview of the VP from November & everyone is speculating again. I think we should wait for Noorda-COM to formally announce any sort of scholarship first.
agreed, a new for-profit school that owes $50+million I just can not see how they can justify to their investor's free tuition when their financial plan hinges on students' tuition fees repaying their loan.

agreed, a new for-profit school that owes $50+million I just can not see how they can justify to their investor's free tuition when their financial plan hinges on students' tuition fees repaying their loan.
The article talks about them fundraising for scholarship funding, which then would cover that tuition. So they wouldn’t be just giving it away out of their own pocket.
At the end of the day fundraising all that money would be quite a feat, and that’s probably why it doesn’t appear to be happening.

I think there were two schools in Texas that did this too, but I really doubt noorda will do this since they are pushing the military scholarship and haven’t mentioned it to any of the students yet.
The University of Houston MD school did this for their students last year; their entering class was around 30 though. As far as I am aware, the other new school that opened a year ago, Sam Houston State University COM, did not offer full scholarships for their inaugural class.

The University of Houston MD school did this for their students last year; their entering class was around 30 though. As far as I am aware, the other new school that opened a year ago, Sam Houston State University COM, did not offer full scholarships for their inaugural class.
UNLV did it when they opened. The woman in the article worked there, so she knows how to execute if she was responsible for that.

No use making life decisions on whispers. Go with facts.

I have a few other acceptances. I have been quiet these past few days as I mull life over haha. I likely will be withdrawing my application in the coming days and going with a different school. I hope this opens a top tier spot for one of you!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
No use making life decisions on whispers. Go with facts.

I have a few other acceptances. I have been quiet these past few days as I mull life over haha. I likely will be withdrawing my application in the coming days and going with a different school. I hope this opens a top tier spot for one of you!
It’s great to hear of the success. I hope a decision comes with relative ease and relief. And congrats on your future!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Every time I look at the private group on Facebook, the number is going up 😭

how many interview dates were there in February? does anyone know?

I feel you. But don’t read into it too much. Some of those folks may still drop off. And a few are admin if I’m not mistaken.
yeah, 3-4 are adcoms. and I'm sure the group has students that only paid their deposits so far. I think the real number will come out after the 3/15 matriculation deadline has passed imo. rn its like 40 ish students & not everyone has fully matriculated (given the full $3K).

just a glimmer of hope on my end!

But also how many have secured a seat and aren’t on Facebook or haven’t joined the group yet.

Kaiser has free tuition for everyone every year, like NYU. The school that did free tuition for its inaugural class was the University of Houston last year. It was a special scholarship funded by an anonymous donor to help those students go into primary care without having to worry about paying off school loans. UH also raised money to give scholarships to 30% of the second year's class. None of the other new schools have done this as far as I know.

I can’t even get SMP applications looked at with an undergrad <2.7(from 10 years ago) which ironically is the whole reason I need it. LECOM told me to not even apply.

Noorda is at least giving my a chance, which leads me to believe they actually mean it when they say holistic review of the applicant.
I know I'm kind of behind the curve on this one by a few days, but looks at PNWU's MAMS program. I've got a 2.99 cGPA from ug, and according to their admissions counselor, I'm a strong applicant for their one year master's program. Just a thought. :)

“Those accepted between Feb. 16 and March 1 will have 15 days“

I wonder if anything would go out during this time frame. It doesn’t sound like it.

“Those accepted between Feb. 16 and March 1 will have 15 days“

I wonder if anything would go out during this time frame. It doesn’t sound like it.

Seems unlikely given their last update on the waitlist. I think it’s just a general timeframe of guidance. I believe other programs have the same timeframe limitations.

The big day is Mar 15 when the additional $2k is due for everyone accepted so far. Hoping for some acceptances from other schools for some of the folks who secured their seat here but are waiting for other schools.

The big day is Mar 15 when the additional $2k is due for everyone accepted so far. Hoping for some acceptances from other schools for some of the folks who secured their seat here but are waiting for other schools.
it really sounds like 3/8 is more of a big day because if they want bg check/immuno/drug testing done by 3/15 too then it would be hard to get everything done in a week's time. I think some people will made a decision by that week between 3/8 and 3/15. WL movement is starting for other schools right?

3/8 is also when they will know how many of the Feb 5 secured their seat. I wonder how many Feb interviews there are. It sounds like that would be their last round of interviews and acceptances, then the rest would fill in from WL.

3/8 is also when they will know how many of the Feb 5 secured their seat. I wonder how many Feb interviews there are. It sounds like that would be their last round of interviews and acceptances, then the rest would fill in from WL.
but their secondary deadline isnt until mid-march, so would they have march interviews too?

but their secondary deadline isnt until mid-march, so would they have march interviews too?

I guess. I’m assuming that’s a much smaller pool and would have fewer acceptances overall but the same proportionally.

There will absolutely be movement after. People will get off WL and get As at other schools and there is a trickle effect nation wide.

Me too! Even after March 15 I'd definitely expect potential movement from accepted students like me who are on WLs and have interviews coming up. Even if I pay the $2k matriculation fee I'd go to one of my WL schools instead so there would be movement regardless of that at any point between now and the start of class.
do you think a lot of people would leave their $3K here to go to another school?

do you think a lot of people would leave their $3K here to go to another school?
I can’t speak to leaving this school, but I know if I get some other acceptances, I will probably be leaving my 2k at a non-new school to go elsewhere. So I can see people leaving their deposits in order to go to more established schools.

I can’t speak to leaving this school, but I know if I get some other acceptances, I will probably be leaving my 2k at a non-new school to go elsewhere. So I can see people leaving their deposits in order to go to more established schools.
Are you applying to this school/accepted already here? Also, are you saying that if you get other acceptances you will leave this school or justifying why people would possibly leave but you yourself would not leave

Are you applying to this school/accepted already here? Also, are you saying that if you get other acceptances you will leave this school or justifying why people would possibly leave but you yourself would not leave
I think all he is saying is majority of people will give up the 2k deposit to go to the more established school given the chance. Unless they have so local ties to the area, going to a new school is risky. I would bet very few people would choose to stay at noorda if they have other options. Not saying noorda isn’t great, but it’s a new school.

Reactions: 4 users
I think all he is saying is majority of people will give up the 2k deposit to go to the more established school given the chance. Unless they have so local ties to the area, going to a new school is risky. I would bet very few people would choose to stay at noorda if they have other options. Not saying noorda isn’t great, but it’s a new school.
I wanted to know if @revaew was saying that they themselves would pick another school if they were accepted to Noorda or if they were saying that other students would prob pick another school but @revaew wanted to go to Noorda.

I understand the risks of a new school and why people would choose a more established school if possible.

Hi all,

I declined my seat with Noorda-COM today. Hopefully one of you comes off that dreaded waitlist!

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Can we pray that they send out a few acceptances tkmorrow?

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
True but also seems standard. I’d rather have the chance to grab a spot last minute than next cycle 😛
True.

Wouldn’t that mean that you’ll miss part of instruction though?

Also, when is the first week of maturation? Is it the first week of August?

True.

Wouldn’t that mean that you’ll miss part of instruction though?

Also, when is the first week of maturation? Is it the first week of August?
B1B81BEC-0A85-4E44-A50D-CCAF5CD093D3.jpeg

Oh! So late July could possibly be the last time they can recruit people for their class.

Interesting.
They have language for those accepted after June 1st the deposit is due immediately. So there is hope for late movement. I have my $3k socked away for now, waiting to get off the WL 😭

Safe to say those individuals posted on their Instagram won’t be withdrawing lol

• Haha
FB group number keeps creeping up too. Not at 90 yet though!