2020-2021 Northeast Ohio (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I received my invite (late Oct?), I wasn't given a choice. It said select Feb 1st, but that the date just to get the software to work. The email also said interviews would be reviewed in the order received. When I completed the interview, it said the next "updates" would be in mid-December. So I'm hoping for a decision in December, but prepared for one late February.

Of course if any of us are waitlisted, the wait goes on. :/

Members don't see this ad.

I am also confused about how/ when they are reviewing interviews. The update I just got said that they received my interview and I would hear more in December, but the pre-interview video made it seem like there was 2 distinct dates for interview reviews (Nov and Feb), so yeah I'm completely lost.

If you selected the November date, you'll hear back in mid-December - the date's just a placeholder. Not sure about the timeline if you picked the February date.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you selected the November date, you'll hear back in mid-December - the date's just a placeholder. Not sure about the timeline if you picked the February dat
That's what I thought and I was unable to pick the November date as I got my II after that time. But, the email update I just got said everything was being reviewed and they'll be in touch early December. So, maybe I slipped into the December review, or it was just a general update.

That's what I thought and I was unable to pick the November date as I got my II after that time. But, the email update I just got said everything was being reviewed and they'll be in touch early December. So, maybe I slipped into the December review, or it was just a general update.
Interesting. They might just be moving quickly through interviews such that they've stated finishing scoring applicants in the later round. When did you interview and when did you receive this notice?

I emailed admissions earlier in the cycle about the November/February date thing and here’s what they said, “We will process the interviews in the order in which they were received and yours should still make the fall round for admissions review.” (I submitted my interview early October for reference).

• Wow
I emailed admissions earlier in the cycle about the November/February date thing and here’s what they said, “We will process the interviews in the order in which they were received and yours should still make the fall round for admissions review.” (I submitted my interview early October for reference).

Oooh 10/3 over here so this spiked my anxiety haha
Crossing my fingers and toes for all of us!!

OOS 503 MCAT, 3.6 cGPA. Strong ties to Ohio. Submitted primary in the beginning of September, then received secondary mid November, and submitted this secondary yesterday! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting. They might just be moving quickly through interviews such that they've stated finishing scoring applicants in the later round. When did you interview and when did you receive this notice?
I interviewed on Friday and got the update yesterday (11/24)

I haven't gotten any updates :oops:

But I did come on here to ask if anyone thinks we may hear something this week, since it'll be the first week in December? wishful thinking...

I would love to wake up on Tuesday to some news, but they did say mid-December, so I think we've got more waiting ahead of us, friendos.

Reactions: 4 users
YearRelease DateDay of the week
2019November 25thMondayMonday Before Thanksgiving
2018November 26th MondayMonday After Thanksgiving
2017November 20thMondayMonday before Thanksgiving
Brace yourselves. Sounds like they usually come in an awkward mixture of snail mail, decision e-mails, and e-mails saying decision is coming in the mail.

2018November 26thMondayMonday After Thanksgiving
Brace yourselves. Sounds like they usually come in an awkward mixture of snail mail, decision e-mails, and e-mails saying decision is coming in the mail.

The last one sounds like torture lol :')

Members don't see this ad :)
2018November 26thMondayMonday After Thanksgiving

AAAHHHHH 😬

Just completed my interview... Hoping to sneak into the mid-December round of decisions. From the email, it sounds like I may have a chance :)

So are they releasing all of the December-round interview decisions at (relatively) once? Not like other schools where you interview in Sept but depending on when they get around to you, might not hear back till the spring?

Reactions: 1 user
So are they releasing all of the December-round interview decisions at (relatively) once? Not like other schools where you interview in Sept but depending on when they get around to you, might not hear back till the spring?
I think so yeah, at least that's how it seems like they've done it in years past. They said early december in their email after I interviewed so I was hoping to hear back by now, but i guess its still early early december lol.

I think so yeah, at least that's how it seems like they've done it in years past. They said early december in their email after I interviewed so I was hoping to hear back by now, but i guess its still early early december lol.
I'm literally on the edge of my seat haha. Neurotically re-reading emails from them, and they said if they needed something from applicants (I'm guessing if something went wonky on the video interview) they'd tell us by early December, but not to expect to hear back about post-II decisions until mid December. I feel like next week could be the earliest we'll hear, but that still seems a bit early.

Reactions: 3 users
I emailed them and they said mid December decisions will be announced

Reactions: 3 users
They said mid - December
What more can I say
Seems like many schools are shooting for mid-December. I know Drexel, Indiana, and Temple are supposed to release post--II decisions then.. Toledo should be releasing their initial round of IIs around then as well. Going to be an interesting couple of weeks!

• Wow
Normally I love December and hate how it goes by so quickly...but I really want mid-December to get here this year.

• Care
Is anyone familiar with their WL? Is it ranked and if so, how transparent are they with communicating your rank?

Another thing to be aware of is that their waitlist tends to be large, but it also REALLY moves. So a high WL number absolutely does not count you out.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I do wonder how their shift from that EAP-ish program to more traditional admits will impact the WL? My understanding for the reason they WL so many people post-II (knowing they will very likely get accepted off the WL later on) is because of the EAP and not knowing exactly how many students will meet the cutoffs from it. I could definitely be wrong about that though.

I've heard that it's not so much that, but that they maintain a large WL because they're aware that they're not necessarily the top choice for a lot of applicants, so they do give a lot of As to people who end up going elsewhere - hence, needing a larger waitlist to pull from.

Or it could very well be a combination of the two.

I do wonder how their shift from that EAP-ish program to more traditional admits will impact the WL? My understanding for the reason they WL so many people post-II (knowing they will very likely get accepted off the WL later on) is because of the EAP and not knowing exactly how many students will meet the cutoffs from it. I could definitely be wrong about that though.
Of note in the interview at the bottom of one of the slides they said they expect 75-80 traditional admits this year. If accurate that's barely any better than last year.

Gotta say, Mr. Barrett's emails are always refreshing to read. My heart did start racing for a second though, haha. 12/16 can't come fast enough...

Reactions: 5 users
Darn looks like anyone who interviewed after Nov. 2nd won't get into the fall round. Also, what was up with Jim talking about "gamesmanship".

• Haha
Darn looks like anyone who interviewed after Nov. 2nd won't get into the fall round. Also, what was up with Jim talking about "gamesmanship".

I think people might be emailing tons asking for updates, maybe sending letters of interest (which they said they don't accept those or updates)?

I’m so salty lol. Guess I gotta wait until 2021. Lol I thought I was the only one saying wtf when reading about gamesmanship 🤣🤣

Now I'm rereading every email I've sent (which were technical issues with the asynchronous interview and a thank you email after interviewing) wondering if I've accidentally said something to get me lumped in the "gamesmanship" column... gotta leave premed neuroticism.

Now I'm rereading every email I've sent (which were technical issues with the asynchronous interview and a thank you email after interviewing) wondering if I've accidentally said something to get me lumped in the "gamesmanship" column... gotta leave premed neuroticism.
If it helps you feel less neurotic, I recognize your user name because I’ve seen you posting around here and you stand out as being a very nice person....so I highly doubt you would have sent anything that would be taken as gamesmanship. I like that he included that, it was a nice way to ask people to give them some space to do their job.

If it helps you feel less neurotic, I recognize your user name because I’ve seen you posting around here and you stand out as being a very nice person....so I highly doubt you would have sent anything that would be taken as gamesmanship. I like that he included that, it was a nice way to ask people to give them some space to do their job.

Awww thank youuuu :cat: I definitely try to spread positivity when i can. Definitely wouldn't be able to stay sane without the other kind people I've had the pleasure of getting to know around here!

NEOMED has hands down been the most transparent adcom between all of the Ohio schools (@toledo needs to take notes). You have to hand it to the admissions team👏 At this point I am happy waiting for the spring decision round

Reactions: 10 users
NEOMED has hands down been the most transparent adcom between all of the Ohio schools (@toledo needs to take notes). You have to hand it to the admissions team👏

Agreed on that! I've been really impressed with how they've handled this whole process. I love that they've given us transparent, timely updates. And they just seem...human. Which is nice.

Reactions: 8 users
Agreed on that! I've been really impressed with how they've handled this whole process. I love that they've given us transparent, timely updates. And they just seem...human. Which is nice.
Couldn’t have said it better!

Good luck to everybody as the December 16 date approaches!! Sending all the positive vibes out!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
The gamesmanship comment seemed like a nice way of saying y'all are emailing too much! Haha! I get it. At work I often think... well I can do the stuff you're asking me about faster if you interrupt me to ask me about it less...

I'm not super clear on the part about proportional opportunities for fall v. spring though I read it a few times. Can someone ELI5 what they took that part to mean? Is it disadvantageous to be in the spring round or not?

The gamesmanship comment seemed like a nice way of saying y'all are emailing too much! Haha! I get it. At work I often think... well I can do the stuff you're asking me about faster if you interrupt me to ask me about it less...

I'm not super clear on the part about proportional opportunities for fall v. spring though I read it a few times. Can someone ELI5 what they took that part to mean? Is it disadvantageous to be in the spring round or not?
Not a disadvant. They are holding a proportional amount of seats for winter and fall interviewees so seats remain available for the Feb 2 candidates. I am more curious about whether a late fall interviewee is at a disadvantage compared to an early spring interviewee. I interviewed Oct 29, just a few days before the deadline. So now I'm worried and wondering if I should've picked the Feb date.