2020-2021 Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (OSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any experience with interviewing, being waitlisted, and reapplying?

I'm trying not to panic or overthink, but it's difficult not to compare the two experiences. I applied and interviewed before, and idk how to stop freaking out that I haven't gotten an II. Any ideas on how likely it could be, given you have improved or added the things Lindsey suggested previously?
✋ I applied to OSUCOM four years in a row. Interviewed the last two years, was waitlisted my third year, and offered a spot in the GAP program this past year. I think it's worth noting that I did not interview until mid-April last year and was offered a GAP position on April 30th. Furthermore, there is talk that admissions is interviewing into May this year due to COVID.

I think the biggest difference in my application between all four years was my experience working in a hospital and participating in direct patient care. I actually made an appointment with Lindsey to sit down and talk about my application with her at the school. I think being face-to-face with her gave me the opportunity to get individual suggestions and bounce ideas off of her about what I was thinking about doing with my gap year. In this way, she was really forthcoming about what would be most beneficial to my application.

If medicine is really what you want to do, don't give up! There is always hope! Persistence is a quality of every great physician.:)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
✋ I applied to OSUCOM four years in a row. Interviewed the last two years, was waitlisted my third year, and offered a spot in the GAP program this past year. I think it's worth noting that I did not interview until mid-April last year and was offered a GAP position on April 30th. Furthermore, there is talk that admissions is interviewing into May this year due to COVID.

I think the biggest difference in my application between all four years was my experience working in a hospital and participating in direct patient care. I actually made an appointment with Lindsey to sit down and talk about my application with her at the school. I think being face-to-face with her gave me the opportunity to get individual suggestions and bounce ideas off of her about what I was thinking about doing with my gap year. In this way, she was really forthcoming about what would be most beneficial to my application.

If medicine is really what you want to do, don't give up! There is always hope! Persistence is a quality of every great physician.:)
Would you say a low mcat/or low gpa can be made up by clinical experience?

Thanks for the insight btw! <3

Would you say a low mcat/or low gpa can be made up by clinical experience?

Thanks for the insight btw! <3
For reference last MCAT I took was a 498, my gpa: 3.4, and my sgpa: 3.3. Comparatively to other students, I'm sure I am on the lower end of all three scoring scales. I do know that clinical experience is very heavily weighed by the admission committee. I wouldn't say one could make up for the other but it definitely helps to have a lot of clinical hrs on your application. The interviewers at OSUCOM are very diligent about picking what they would consider very well-rounded people which is one reason they like to see applicants with clinical experience.
Good luck!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For reference last MCAT I took was a 498, my gpa: 3.4, and my sgpa: 3.3. Comparatively to other students, I'm sure I am on the lower end of all three scoring scales. I do know that clinical experience is very heavily weighed by the admission committee. I wouldn't say one could make up for the other but it definitely helps to have a lot of clinical hrs on your application. The interviewers at OSUCOM are very diligent about picking what they would consider very well-rounded people which is one reason they like to see applicants with clinical experience.
Good luck!
Yes, that's very helpful. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
My secondary has been complete since 8/27 and I have not heard anything yet. I sent an update about a month ago and they acknowledged it but still nothing... OOS, 501 MCAT, 3.64 post-bacc non-trad.

Do we know if the are still interviewing for actual seats or are these waitlist positions?

Do we know if the are still interviewing for actual seats or are these waitlist positions?
I asked Lindsey that today at my interview, and they said there are still actual seats available for 2021 entering class

I really appreciate your response. I'm in a very similar situation, so I'm trying to hang in there. 😅

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Who did you all send an update email to? & what info did you include? I’m an in state applicant. OSU graduate. Still heard nothing :(

• Care
Who did you all send an update email to? & what info did you include? I’m an in state applicant. OSU graduate. Still heard nothing :(
If you've been in contact with someone in particular, it may be easier to reach out to that person. Otherwise, you can always email Lindsey Yoder or Sarah Quinten with updates! They're both super kind and very helpful. You can find their email addresses and phone numbers on the OSU-COM's website.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students comment on what the attire for the clinical experiences during the first two years are?

What do you mean?
From the talks about the curriculum it sounded like there was clinical exposure early on before rotations. I was trying to gather if the dress code is strict business casual or if we can get away with a polo and slacks. I don’t have a ton of professional clothing, just trying to gather what I should get before the school year.

From the talks about the curriculum it sounded like there was clinical exposure early on before rotations. I was trying to gather if the dress code is strict business casual or if we can get away with a polo and slacks. I don’t have a ton of professional clothing, just trying to gather what I should get before the school year.
Polo and slacks would be good, often you’ll just be in scrubs

Hi everyone, new to the thread. Been complete since late Oct, and sent in CASPer in Jan. I've had total radio silence so far... I dont have any updates to send them but I'm not sure if an II is in my future. Any thoughts on whether I should give up hope or not? I'm OOS, but did my undergrad in OK so I have ties, non-trad with 3.6 GPA and an MPH, and 2 years' worth of full time clinical experience (derm MA). Just have a low MCAT... not sure what my chances even are. Only had one other II this cycle and I'm waitlisted there.

• Sad
Yes, many are waiting. The school seems to be behind in execution and communication. But a very good school, so remain optimistic.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
nice! do u mind sharing your stats?
Absolutely! Sorry I'm so late with my update, it has been a crazy week. Complete 10/20.
I'm IS and I graduated undergrad in 2019. MCAT 500, undergrad cGPA 3.28, undergrad sGPA 2.8 (I had a few crappy grades early on- I retook the classes and did much better but that doesn't really show in my GPA...), post-bacc cGPA and sGPA 4.0, but I only have 9 hours of post-bacc work.
200+ hours of shadowing, 600+ hours of volunteering, 85 hours of HCE (CNA). 2 years in research and co-author on one publication.

nice! do u mind sharing your stats?
I have no right to give anyone advice, but ....My personal perspective is that all the applicants need to quit worrying about stats and LM etc. In reality if you are here, you are competitive at some schools. So at this stage in the game, it’s about showing interest in schools, LOI etc., every couple of weeks. At the end of the day please don’t hesitate to show interest. No school is going to turn you away or get pissed off if you send them emails. Show interest, ask them for an update- (distinction here) you don’t have to send them updates! My best wishes to you all!

Does anyone know the average time it takes them to get back to you after your interview assuming casper scores are already in?

Does anyone know the average time it takes them to get back to you after your interview assuming casper scores are already in?
It usually takes about 2 weeks after your interview day for admissions to get back with you.

is that after you've interviewed?
It is better to take your CASPER as soon as possible in the cycle because admissions likes to be able to see all scores when looking at applicants to interview.

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet or received an acceptance letter in the past couple of months???

I interviewed 3/12 and have not heard back yet. My Casper scores have been in for weeks.

For those of you who are students with a family, where is the best place to live that is not too far from the campus?
We have considered rental homes in Owasso. Any thoughts?

For those of you who are students with a family, where is the best place to live that is not too far from the campus?
We have considered rental homes in Owasso. Any thoughts?
Jenks is also a great option!

I have no right to give anyone advice, but ....My personal perspective is that all the applicants need to quit worrying about stats and LM etc. In reality if you are here, you are competitive at some schools. So at this stage in the game, it’s about showing interest in schools, LOI etc., every couple of weeks. At the end of the day please don’t hesitate to show interest. No school is going to turn you away or get pissed off if you send them emails. Show interest, ask them for an update- (distinction here) you don’t have to send them updates! My best wishes to you all!
I am definitely speaking from my own experience, but at this point I have given it my all. OSU knows that I am interested and my LORs come from professors that teach there. Aside from having had classes with the professors, I have conducted research there as well. At this stage in the game, I do feel that I have shown interest and expressed that this is my number one choice. I appreciate your advice, but it doesn't hurt to ask for stats if it helps me ease my anxiety over something that weighs on me every day. Cheers.

Reactions: 4 users
I just got the call this morning from Jeff and Lindsey for the acceptance offer at OSUCOM-CN! Interviewed 10/30; Waitlisted 11/05; Accepted 03/22. Good luck to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I just got the call this morning from Jeff and Lindsey for the acceptance offer at OSUCOM-CN! Interviewed 10/30; Waitlisted 11/05; Accepted 03/22. Good luck to everyone!
Congratulations!! I’m waitlisted as well, and you’ve given me hope! 🧡

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Anybody here have experience with The Y Lofts downtown?

I was wondering does this school accept sub 500 MCAT scores? Or do they automatically reject you...

What is the CN? Congratulations!!