2020-2021 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary prompt:
Describe personal experiences that have shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school that focuses on addressing rural and/or medically underserved populations and diversity, equity, and inclusion in health care. (1 page essay)

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! I'm an Idaho applicant to PNWU (grew up in Boise). Any current Idaho residents who got into PNWU willing to share their experience?

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted today!! I called about residency preferences and they said they have 28% OOS.

I am a VA resident but living in California (shoutout to all the military spouses applying, we hate residency requirements lol). She said they would see I live in CA and that would add a "point" to my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied today and is in "completed" status. Does PNWU screen applicants?

In their fast facts site, the secondaries are only sent to about half of the applicants. How do they decide who to send it to?

Edit: Applied for primary to aacomas

Last edited:
Applied today and is in "completed" status. Does PNWU screen applicants?

In their fast facts site, the secondaries are only sent to about half of the applicants. How do they decide who to send it to?
You’ve already gotten the secondary? Or you submitted to aacomas?

You’ve already gotten the secondary? Or you submitted to aacomas?
I meant to say "submitted my primary application on aacomas."

I was just wondering how PNWU select only half of the applicants for a secondary. Based on which factors
1592903903559.png

I meant to say "submitted my primary application on aacomas."

I was just wondering how PNWU select only half of the applicants for a secondary. Based on which factors
View attachment 310762
Are you sure the "Supplemental Applicants" column refers to secondaries they sent out? I thought it was referred to supplemental applications they received back.

Are you sure the "Supplemental Applicants" column refers to secondaries they sent out? I thought it was referred to supplemental applications they received back.
Could be, but logically that seems like too many to apply and then just decide not to finish applying after they already paid for the primary application. Just an opinion though and it could totally be wrong.

Has anyone received a secondary yet or any communication from PNWU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Submitted today!! I called about residency preferences and they said they have 28% OOS.

I am a VA resident but living in California (shoutout to all the military spouses applying, we hate residency requirements lol). She said they would see I live in CA and that would add a "point" to my application.

I was surprised to see 55% OOS on 2018 matriculants by state report. Only 79/144 were from Washington State.

I was surprised to see 55% OOS on 2018 matriculants by state report. Only 79/144 were from Washington State.
I believe that is because they are serving the 5 state region. I want to say something like 73% of matriculants are from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and Montana and 28% are from other states. I could have my exact numbers wrong because I’m just remembering something I saw some time ago, but it’s something like that. I’m from California and was accepted last cycle so it’s not hopeless if you aren’t from the PNW.

Reactions: 2 users
. deleted - inaccurate

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I received 2° on 6/24. Questions are:

1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
2. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Northwest?
3. Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you.
4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school.
5. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.).

All 500 word limit. Good luck ya'll!

@PapaGuava
These seem like the questions for Western University COMP Northwest. COMP Northwest is different from PNWU

These seem like the questions for Western University COMP Northwest. COMP Northwest is different from PNWU
Lmao thanks, my bad. I've been having trouble keeping the Oregon schools straight. Hell I might have even applied to the wrong one? Can you briefly describe the difference for me, here or in a PM? Thanks!

Edit: NVM. I think I know why I didn't apply to this WA-based (?) school - heavy in-state preference??

4th-year PNWU student here. Let me know if you guys have any specific questions that I can help with.

Reactions: 5 users
I was accepted and will be starting my first year in a few weeks. I don't have as much knowledge as older students, but I can try to help with any questions!

Reactions: 2 users
hey there! i know that they say if you submit after 10 days there will be a delay in processing and wanted to see how true this is if you know. thanks :)

Have you gotten a secondary already?

How long did it take for you to receive a secondary?
I submitted mid July last year and received a secondary about two weeks later. I know that many schools don't send secondaries out until mid-end July(at least from the forums of schools I applied to). And this year may be a little wonky because some people are still working from home due to COVID.

@PapaGuava

Secondary prompt: Describe personal experiences that have shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school that focuses on addressing rural and/or medically underserved populations and diversity, equity, and inclusion in health care. (1 page essay)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank goodness I prewrote this and it stayed the same from last year. BLESS.

Thank goodness I prewrote this and it stayed the same from last year. BLESS.

Did it mention the part about diversity, equity, and inclusion last year? The prompt I used to pre-write didn’t include that part haha

Did it mention the part about diversity, equity, and inclusion last year? The prompt I used to pre-write didn’t include that part haha
Rural and/or haha. Mines based on rural med I think. I’ll look into it before I submit.

Anyone else having trouble submitting payment?

I entered my card information four times but keep getting the same error

1. * Enter valid Card Number.

Alright so I was able to pay the fee.

However, where do we upload the essay?

The instructions stated after payment is processed then we will be prompted back to the application window to upload the essay...but nothing.

Alright so I was able to pay the fee.

However, where do we upload the essay?

The instructions stated after payment is processed then we will be prompted back to the application window to upload the essay...but nothing.

I think there’s a button at the end of the payment part that returns you back.
And then you can upload it there after.
Idk why they didn’t redirect you

I was redirected back to the initial page, without option to upload an essay.

I just sent an email to admcom.

Were you able to submit your essay?

Yes I was. That’s so weird. Hopefully they’re understanding :)
Keep us updated!!

I was able to pay the fee and submit my secondary essay. But I have yet to receive the email confirmation that they got it, they said that how you know your application is complete. Will have to email them about it..

I was able to pay the fee and submit my secondary essay. But I have yet to receive the email confirmation that they got it, they said that how you know your application is complete. Will have to email them about it..

You have to wait two business days

Last year when I submitted my secondary I thought it was all fine and I was able to upload the essay. About a week after I submitted I got a call from PNWU letting me know that my essay hadn't successfully attached when I submitted. They were very nice about it and I was able to email the Essay portion to them. Don't stress to much if they need something from you they will let you know. Also for anyone wondering I submitted my secondary on 8/4/19 and Received an II on 9/20/19, So I had a pretty fast turn around time, but I'm not sure what the norm is because last year it seemed like there was a lot of variance in wait times for II.

Last year when I submitted my secondary I thought it was all fine and I was able to upload the essay. About a week after I submitted I got a call from PNWU letting me know that my essay hadn't successfully attached when I submitted. They were very nice about it and I was able to email the Essay portion to them. Don't stress to much if they need something from you they will let you know. Also for anyone wondering I submitted my secondary on 8/4/19 and Received an II on 9/20/19, So I had a pretty fast turn around time, but I'm not sure what the norm is because last year it seemed like there was a lot of variance in wait times for II.
The essay thing not attaching happened to me last year too. They are very nice and communicative

Reactions: 1 users
The essay thing not attaching happened to me last year too. They are very nice and communicative

I called twice and no answer. The third time I was directed to an additional number. I’ve called that number three times as well and received a voice mailbox. I sent an email so hopefully I hear back soon. It’s been three days since I sent the email.

I called twice and no answer. The third time I was directed to an additional number. I’ve called that number three times as well and received a voice mailbox. I sent an email so hopefully I hear back soon. It’s been three days since I sent the email.
I sent them an email on Friday. Should I email again or wait. I wanna see if they actually got my secondary lol.

I sent them an email on Friday. Should I email again or wait. I wanna see if they actually got my secondary lol.

Lol if and when you get any sort of reply, can you let me know please? I’ll do the same.

I’m going to wait until the ending of this week for a response before I contact again. (One full week)