2020-2021 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Georgia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no secondaries

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
how much time did you all have to wait between submitting your primary on aacomas and receiving the secondary payment/portal link?
I submitted both the PCOM/PCOM South GA and the PCOM GA on the same day, but yet to receive a secondary...

how much time did you all have to wait between submitting your primary on aacomas and receiving the secondary payment/portal link?
I submitted both the PCOM/PCOM South GA and the PCOM GA on the same day, but yet to receive a secondary...
There is no secondary for PCOM. The few questions you answer on AACOMAS is all they require.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no secondary for PCOM. The few questions you answer on AACOMAS is all they require.
But isn't there an email they send out after your primary with a portal link to pay the other fee?

But isn't there an email they send out after your primary with a portal link to pay the other fee?
Yes, I don’t remember exactly but I feel like I received it a week or two after submitting the primary.

RIP my chances here. I had a transcript line in the Requirements section for the last month. I didn't think anything of it so I just ignored it. After just getting off the phone it with them it sounds like a glitch marked it in their system as being a requirement and my application was not considered complete as a result. So now the glitch is repaired and I am just now considered "complete" as an applicant.

Need more coffee.

II today!!! Complete 7/9! I know this has been asked before, but just to confirm...taking a Georgia campus II doesn’t prevent them from sending an II for the Pennsylvania campus, right?

Hey, is the $75 app fee still required with fee assistance?

Any current students can please explain the clinical rotations in year 3 and 4? Does it feel structured or do you feel all over the place? How is commuting when you have to be in different areas? Do you feel you’re spending a significant amount of extra money for that reason? Would love to hear from someone who stayed in the Atlanta area especially because that’s what I am most interested in doing!
I'm currently a 4th year and can tell you that 3rd year and 4th year vary a lot depending on where you go for your clinical rotations. 3rd year has a lot more structure because you are completing your required rotations, which will be set up for you. 4th year, you technically have to find the rotations yourself, which has been fairly difficult this year due to covid. PCOM has offered some "virtual" rotations online because of this, which may or may not be a thing in future years. If you have trouble securing any rotations 4th year, PCOM will find them for you, but they may not be in a specialty or location you prefer.

For 3rd year clinical rotations, PCOM-GA sends students to locations mostly within GA, FL, and PA. For GA, about 30 or so people stay in the Atlanta metro area, and the rest do 3rd year in Columbus, Moultrie, Rome, or Albany. For FL, 20-30 go to Jacksonville, and a few go to New Smyrna Beach. More than 20 went to PA for rotations in our class also. I would say the group doing the most commuting is the Atlanta folks since the metro area is huge and I-75/85/285 are always a disaster in terms of traffic. Most other rotation sites are not big cities and do not have tons of traffic, but they might send you for a rotation that's a 30 minute drive or so from your main hospital. If you have to commute an hour or more from the main hospital, housing is provided at either an apartment or hotel. I didn't stay in the ATL area for my 3rd year, but I heard from my friends that they rotated at different hospital systems or offices, whereas the site I went to, I was based mostly out of the same hospital. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED!!! My first one!! feels so good! Interviewed 10/30, OOS

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is there a fb group for the upcoming class?

Reactions: 1 users
Does PCOM send out pre II rejection in waves?
No pre II rejections. If you do not get invited to interview you will receive a notification from PCOM when they have completed sitting the class.

I know the $250 seat deposit is non refundable but I was wondering if anyone knew if it is committing? If I don’t hear from other schools, I want to reserve my seat, but don’t want to be tied down this quickly in the cycle...

Thanks!

I'm currently a 4th year and can tell you that 3rd year and 4th year vary a lot depending on where you go for your clinical rotations. 3rd year has a lot more structure because you are completing your required rotations, which will be set up for you. 4th year, you technically have to find the rotations yourself, which has been fairly difficult this year due to covid. PCOM has offered some "virtual" rotations online because of this, which may or may not be a thing in future years. If you have trouble securing any rotations 4th year, PCOM will find them for you, but they may not be in a specialty or location you prefer.

For 3rd year clinical rotations, PCOM-GA sends students to locations mostly within GA, FL, and PA. For GA, about 30 or so people stay in the Atlanta metro area, and the rest do 3rd year in Columbus, Moultrie, Rome, or Albany. For FL, 20-30 go to Jacksonville, and a few go to New Smyrna Beach. More than 20 went to PA for rotations in our class also. I would say the group doing the most commuting is the Atlanta folks since the metro area is huge and I-75/85/285 are always a disaster in terms of traffic. Most other rotation sites are not big cities and do not have tons of traffic, but they might send you for a rotation that's a 30 minute drive or so from your main hospital. If you have to commute an hour or more from the main hospital, housing is provided at either an apartment or hotel. I didn't stay in the ATL area for my 3rd year, but I heard from my friends that they rotated at different hospital systems or offices, whereas the site I went to, I was based mostly out of the same hospital. Hope this helps.

thank you so much this was really helpful. I also was wondering if there is any areas where majority of students live the first two years? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions

I know the $250 seat deposit is non refundable but I was wondering if anyone knew if it is committing? If I don’t hear from other schools, I want to reserve my seat, but don’t want to be tied down this quickly in the cycle...

Thanks!
Definitely not committing! You just lose your deposit if you don't attend there.

thank you so much this was really helpful. I also was wondering if there is any areas where majority of students live the first two years? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions
No worries! Most students 1st and 2nd year live in Gwinnett County near the school, particularly Suwanee, Lawrenceville, or Duluth. Gwinnett has become such a large area that there's lots of apartments and townhomes to rent. Some of my classmates lived in the nice parts of Atlanta like Buckhead or Midtown, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a specific reason to live in the city. It's a bit of a haul up I-85 to the school, and there's almost always bad traffic because it's Atlanta.

Did you guys get an email informing you that your file is complete? I did not get anything since the secondary payment confirmation.

just declined my acceptance! hope it goes to one of y'all :) peace out PCOM peeps, best of luck !!

Hey everyone. Current 4th year here. Haven't read what was written on this thread previously but just wanted to give a fair warning to those accepted/considering school. There is alot of dysfunction and ridiculousness that happens here and would strongly recommend against the school. Unless it's your only acceptance/close to family, don't go. PM me if you have any specific questions.

I have been getting a lot of messages so instead of copying and pasting repeatedly, I'll leave here what I have been saying:

There are alot of examples but the biggest one was this: We got the lowest board scores in the country when I was transitioning from OMS1 -> OMS2 and they decided that we weren't paying enough attention to their lectures so they made lectures mandatory the FRIDAY BEFORE M2 STARTED! They kept this despite multiple attempts from our class leadership to change this. Also, they didn't budge on changing the curriculum to give us a dedicated period for our Step 1/Comlex Level 1. The curriculum is hot garbage and they refuse to change. The biggest thing you'll get from the school is the "PCOM" name which means something up here in the North (my wife got accepted to LECOM - Erie a year after me so I'm going to do residency in PA). Let me add one more: They emailed the school asking everyone if they needed PPE for their live rotations. I needed it, and what they sent was a metal tin with a small hand sanitizer bottle (both with the PCOM logo lol). I could go on and on so I recommend going to Ross. It can't be as dysfunctional as PCOM (or maybe it is, see if you can get in contact with a student from there). Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other Q's

I felt like I had a good experience where I rotated. I went up north for third year and don't regret choosing it as my number 1 core site

I gave you a more detailed response of the rest of the sites in your DMs. Forward to anybody else interested.
Can I get it forwarded please?

I've heard from current students that they have a new interim dean and their changing the curiculum completely to make it board friendly. Every school is going to have some problems ,appreciate what you highlighted but still to straight tell people don't come here is pretty harsh lol. You have the audacity to suggest someone go to Ross over here? That's when you are going overboard lol.....you're complaining about dysfunction and then you reccomend Ross lol lol. My sibling is a current M4 at Ross and has said consistently about how terrible the Carribean school process, to say a US DO school is lower than Carribean school is pretty ridiculous.
Gotta add on to this. As a 4th year that went through what he/she is referring to. Yes it was stupid. Schools are going to give you stupid hoops to jump through. They experimented w/ the curriculum to improve board scores and it blew up in their face. They changed it like they should have. In no way shape or form did I feel that the curriculum caused me to do better/worse on my boards because at the end of the day (like the MCAT) you take boards when you are ready.

Growing up in FL I know a lot of Caribbean students. Love my co-students and have alot of respect for them. Ross is in no way, shape or form equivalent to our school. They deal with a lot more nonsense than any US school.

The biggest factor is rotations. Even in a pandemic we can find rotations in the states (moreso PA, GA and FL). A lot of Caribbean students have not been able to return to rotations since march. Check the reddit spreadsheet and its obvious PDs know this as well.

I've heard from current students that they have a new interim dean and their changing the curiculum completely to make it board friendly. Every school is going to have some problems ,appreciate what you highlighted but still to straight tell people don't come here is pretty harsh lol. You have the audacity to suggest someone go to Ross over here? That's when you are going overboard lol.....you're complaining about dysfunction and then you reccomend Ross lol lol. My sibling is a current M4 at Ross and has said consistently about how terrible the Carribean school process, to say a US DO school is lower than Carribean school is pretty ridiculous.
Oh wait my b lol. I read Ross and processed Rowan (another DO school). Yea for sure. Do >>>>> Carribean. But I still stand by not recommend any us medical school over pcom-ga (unless you are looking for residency in the NE or want to be in the Atlanta area). I can't speak for the current 1st years and the improvement there, but the dysfunction continues even to the management of our clinical years.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know what sites they use for clinical rotations? I am torn on where I want to go. I've liked nearly everything about PCOM GA thus far.
There are rotations site all over GA, a few Florida sites, and we usually get some students spots (limited) in PA and Delaware.

Hi guys,
Congrats to everyone accepted! I was accepted last year and I am a OMS1 3 months in. I was so excited to start at suwanee but starting during a pandemic has definitely put a damper on things. I don't want anyone to be blind sighted by whats ahead so heres a small update on COVID and PCOM (from a student perspective).
In terms of the pandemic, PCOM has not handled it well. They did what feels like a last minute curriculum switch so that we have anatomy 2nd term instead of first. The faculty do not seem to know this because we are expected to have complete anatomy knowledge to utilize in our other classes, and professors teach as if we already had anatomy. There is no white coat, orientation is online, and you don't really get to meet classmates.

This term was hybrid we went in x2 a week, once for OMM once for Primary care skills. OMM is 1 a week and you really do not get a chance to practice other than that, unless you were smart enough to have a roommate in your class. Everything next term will be 100% online (Anatomy and OMM as well). As of now anatomy is going to be completely online next term (simulations, no dissections). This is for "COVID safety purposes," except that PA and physical therapy students on the same campus have anatomy lab currently. It seems we are not prioritized in this sense. Online learning is hard and PCOM has not been accommodating in this process. It seems that as first years we have really been pushed aside and our opinions/ideas/input has not been taken into account.

I am sure PCOM was a great institution before COVID hit and had them change things but I would not consider what our class is going through now a "complete education." Just in case this pandemic lasts longer than we hope I want you guys to know what to expect. I would encourage you to ask questions during interviews/ any open houses about what your first year will look like if the pandemic continues.

Disclaimer: I do not speak on behalf of my class and this is strictly a student perspective and my personal opinion
The switch in curriculum was for accreditation issues that we must align with PCOM Philly, not due to the pandemic, but I'm sure that COVID didn't help. OMM at PCOM-GA is use to having it's first years having SPOM first term so I'd hope they'd learn from their mistakes in terms of anatomy lessons, but first years did get "OMM lectures" that were traditionally SPOM lectures to help mitigate some of that anatomy lapse. I will say many second year TAs for anatomy were also confused and mad about the other classes getting to dissect while DO don't. I hypothesize it is because they flipped the calender with COVID and the holidays causing issues.

I have been getting a lot of messages so instead of copying and pasting repeatedly, I'll leave here what I have been saying:

There are alot of examples but the biggest one was this: We got the lowest board scores in the country when I was transitioning from OMS1 -> OMS2 and they decided that we weren't paying enough attention to their lectures so they made lectures mandatory the FRIDAY BEFORE M2 STARTED! They kept this despite multiple attempts from our class leadership to change this. Also, they didn't budge on changing the curriculum to give us a dedicated period for our Step 1/Comlex Level 1. The curriculum is hot garbage and they refuse to change. The biggest thing you'll get from the school is the "PCOM" name which means something up here in the North (my wife got accepted to LECOM - Erie a year after me so I'm going to do residency in PA). Let me add one more: They emailed the school asking everyone if they needed PPE for their live rotations. I needed it, and what they sent was a metal tin with a small hand sanitizer bottle (both with the PCOM logo lol). I could go on and on so I recommend going to Ross. It can't be as dysfunctional as PCOM (or maybe it is, see if you can get in contact with a student from there). Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other Q's
They did lift mandatory attendance for COVID and they 'say' it won't come back. First years do have clicker questions that count towards their grades which makes them have pseudo mandatory attendance, but second years don't. 1st years will get 4-6 weeks of pure dedicated with the recent curriculum changes. Second years are fighting to get anything (we get even less than years prior due to rotations all starting in July now). There are changes to curriculum making it better for boards, still bad, but probably better when Papa Oso went through. We still have many battles to fight and communication is a persistent issue, but there has been atleast some change.

Wait listed today! Interviewed last week. Is there generally movement with this schools wait list?

Wait listed today! Interviewed last week. Is there generally movement with this schools wait list?
Lots of WL movement at this school, it's definitely not over. People come off for all sorts of reason and it's early in the cycle!

Withdrew my acceptance offer today, I hope it goes to one of you!

withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you!

Anyone know if PCOM GA sends out pre-II rejection or do we get the silent treatment till the end of the cycle?

Would it be too late to apply here? LM 71. Already sent in primary but haven't paid the 75,

Would it be too late to apply here? LM 71. Already sent in primary but haven't paid the 75,
It's starting to get a little late now for DO schools, but with your LM score DO schools will still send you an acceptance pretty quickly.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd say yes, but there is a current student I know who applied literally the very last day possible and got accepted, so if you're interested, I'd say go for it cause apparently it's never too late.

Nothing but silence since submitting the fee on 10/6.

These weekly marketing emails really make my heart skip a beat every time...