2020-2021 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's be real, at this point, with the number of interviewees this year and given that they already had one major WL movement, the likelihood of a decent number of us getting off the waitlist is small. I'm starting to make plans for reapplication at a later time

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Let's be real, at this point, with the number of interviewees this year and given that they already had one major WL movement, the likelihood of a decent number of us getting off the waitlist is small. I'm starting to make plans for reapplication at a later time
There will absolutely be more WL movement, but I think it's reasonable to start the reapp process if this is where you're at. If you get pulled from the WL, great, but I don't think it's ever something to bank on!

Reactions: 1 users
For those anxiously waiting, I've been told they are at class size and the earliest they would visit the WL would be early to mid-May.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those anxiously waiting, I've been told they are at class size and the earliest they would visit the WL would be early to mid-May.
im desperately hoping that people drop their As by April 30

Reactions: 2 users
Oof I'm so sad :(

Are they at class size in terms of acceptances or PTEs?

• Sad
I've been told they are at class size and the earliest they would visit the WL would be early to mid-May.
Does anyone know if it's normal to be at class size at this point in the cycle for MD schools in general? I was thinking this would be a good thing since being at class size is better (for WL peeps) than being above class size right now (since I assumed overadmittance is common for most if not all med schools before April 30th), right? This is assuming that "at class size" refers to the number of acceptances and NOT the number of people who chose to PTE at Pitt (if it's the latter, we're screwed).

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if it's normal to be at class size at this point in the cycle for MD schools in general? I was thinking this would be a good thing since being at class size is better (for WL peeps) than being above class size right now (since I assumed overadmittance is common for most if not all med schools before April 30th), right? This is assuming that "at class size" refers to the number of acceptances and NOT the number of people who chose to PTE at Pitt (if it's the latter, we're screwed).
I'm not sure anyone, except the ADCOMs, would know this info... you could reach out to admissions, but I'm not sure they'd give you that info, nor if they would want to be called about it

We might just have to wait at this point

I was thinking this too, considering most WL movement happens after the AAMC deadlines. But who knows if they meant PTE or acceptances. Also, the comment made by warmpotato is literally not anything we weren't expecting, so everyone keep your heads up! It was always assumed schools have the most WL movement after the deadlines, so in early May. Nothing particularly disheartening about this info, I consider everything to be going as planned. Considering some people got off the WL in June of last year, April is too early to throw in the hat :)

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So you're saying that we on the WAITlist have to patiently WAIT?! Ridiculous!

/s
I mean, what else are we supposed to do? We can make as many conjectures as we want, but this process sucks and ultimately all we can do is sit here

Anyone here read tea leaves or have a crystal ball that could be of some use?

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't there be WL movement before April 30? Accepted students (by a different school) need to commit to enroll on 4/30. Getting an A from Pitt after 4/30 is too late for those of us that have already committed elsewhere (because we needed to). By April 30, (after we have committed elsewhere) we need to withdraw from Pitt, right?
They've already reached class size, so they probably want to wait until after April 30 to accept off waitlist to make sure they don't over enroll

At this point, if your sure about your school, why wouldn't you want to commit now and remove yourself from everywhere else? This would open spaces for people on the WL

Wouldn't there be WL movement before April 30? Accepted students (by a different school) need to commit to enroll on 4/30. Getting an A from Pitt after 4/30 is too late for those of us that have already committed elsewhere (because we needed to). By April 30, (after we have committed elsewhere) we need to withdraw from Pitt, right?
I'm just shocked that any MD school would require admitted students to CTE that early. Which school does this if you don't mind me asking?

You absolutely do not need to commit to enroll anywhere on April 30th, unless your school has a specific policy on this. You do need to Plan to Enroll, and withdraw from all other acceptances, but you can stay on waitlists until your specific school's Commit to Enroll day (mine are all sometime in mid-July). Please find out when these CTE dates are for your schools, and email them if necessary! Don't CTE before you have to/before you're sure you're fine with withdrawing from waitlists -- whichever comes first.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if it's normal to be at class size at this point in the cycle for MD schools in general?
I've called a few schools about this, and they are still over class size, as I would assume most schools are pre-April 30th. I'm not seeing how Pitt is any different, unless I'm missing something? I wouldn't expect much more WL movement until May anywhere.

No, this is not correct. Students need to make the selection plan to enroll at one school by the April 30th deadline and drop to one acceptance. However, you can still remain on waitlists and receive additional acceptances from other schools. Waitlist movement at schools happens after the April 30th deadline because students will choose a different school, and then obviously it takes admissions some time to go over the waitlist.

What are thoughts on sending in another LOI? I sent one back in early March, and there's definitely more that I can say about why Pitt is my number one choice that I didn't cover in the first letter. Would this be too aggressive / do more harm than good? Would it come off as too desperate (even if I am desperate, lol)? I'm on the fence because I can't even really disguise it as an update letter since the last letter I sent included my significant updates, and not much has changed over the past month and a half.

Any insight is appreciated to soothe my weary soul. Sending good vibes to everyone on the WL 🥺

No, this is not correct. Students need to make the selection plan to enroll at one school by the April 30th deadline and drop to one acceptance. However, you can still remain on waitlists and receive additional acceptances from other schools. Waitlist movement at schools happens after the April 30th deadline because students will choose a different school, and then obviously it takes admissions some time to go over the waitlist.

Thanks, folks. It would be very easy to commit to Pitt and move forward.

What are thoughts on sending in another LOI? I sent one back in early March, and there's definitely more that I can say about why Pitt is my number one choice that I didn't cover in the first letter. Would this be too aggressive / do more harm than good? Would it come off as too desperate (even if I am desperate, lol)? I'm on the fence because I can't even really disguise it as an update letter since the last letter I sent included my significant updates, and not much has changed over the past month and a half.

Any insight is appreciated to soothe my weary soul. Sending good vibes to everyone on the WL 🥺
From what I've heard, sending multiple LOI's to the same school doesn't leave a good look to AdComs. I've considered doing this a lot, but I don't wanna risk anything, ya know? But if you have another solid update to mention, then I would definitely send an update letter confirming your interest.

Best advice is a short hail mary LOI in June.

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew my acceptance, hoping the spot goes to one of you on the WL. Good luck!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users
142. a few MS1s in here also though. good news for WL folks, several ppl have left the groupme in the past few days!
When I initially heard that the GroupMe was below 149, I was so excited. However, one of the GroupMes of a school I was accepted to has half the expected class size at the moment (e.g. 100 people in the GroupMe while the expected class size is ~200). So it's possible that only ~142 people were accepted, but more realistically the number is much higher. :/

But let's hope people who wanted to withdraw just procrastinated until tomorrow lol.

• Care
i hadn't seen a fb group mentioned here but i found "pitt med second look 2021" with 172 members, 6 of which are admins. for whatever thats worth

i hadn't seen a fb group mentioned here but i found "pitt med second look 2021" with 172 members, 6 of which are admins. for whatever thats worth
Ugh... Hopefully there are a lot of students in that page too

Just did a count and 11 have left the GM since Sunday.
Also a personal hypothesis: People who were accepted to Pitt, but aren't in the GM, are less interested in Pitt and are therefore more likely to withdraw their acceptance.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Just did a count and 11 have left the GM since Sunday.
Also a personal hypothesis: People who were accepted to Pitt, but aren't in the GM, are less interested in Pitt and are therefore more likely to withdraw their acceptance.
Thanks! In the FB page, how many of them would you say are accepted applicants and not current students/staff/etc.? Thanks!

Thanks! In the FB page, how many of them would you say are accepted applicants and not current students/staff/etc.? Thanks!
In the FB page, there are 7 official admin/moderators. Keep in mind this was just a second look FB page, so admin just added everyone who was accepted at some point to it.

So they must have had an overacceptance buffer of ~25-30 people this year. Once/if they burn through that they'll start giving out more As to people on WL...

Pitt usually ends up accepting over 300 people (waitlist included) so even if there’s a 30 person buffer, there should be a ton of WL movement.

Pitt usually ends up accepting over 300 people (waitlist included) so even if there’s a 30 person buffer, there should be a ton of WL movement.
Really, that many? Where did you hear 300?

Also, my 25-30 estimate could be way off too haha

The general rule of thumb for most schools is to accept 2x the class size you want, as a 50% return on acceptance is a pretty standard average.

It’s on the Post-II acceptance rate spreadsheet. Pitt has a pretty low yield rate which results in lots of WL movement, although things could change due to COVID-19.

The general rule of thumb for most schools is to accept 2x the class size you want, as a 50% return on acceptance is a pretty standard average.
Huh didn't know that. I wish MSAR would list the number of acceptances at each school too.

Also, I wonder how big last year's FB page was at this time last year

Huh didn't know that. I wish MSAR would list the number of acceptances at each school too.

Also, I wonder how big last year's FB page was at this time last year
I’m guessing larger than it is this year since there were two rounds of A’s following the initial round rather than one. It would also make sense for adcoms to be more conservative for this unusual cycle.