2020-2021 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Interview feedback:

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary invite received today! Transmitted June 1.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 received. Transmitted 6/1 @PapaGuava

1. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (your hometown or where you graduated high school)? (800 characters)

2. Describe a moment when you failed to accomplish a task or let yourself down. How did this experience change you? (800 characters)

3. What do you consider the most important thing you have done to date? (500 characters)

4. What do you consider the role of physicians in medically underserved Texas communities? (800 characters)

5. Sam Houston State University's Motto is "The Measure of a Life is its Service." What does this mean to you and how do you embody this idea? (800 characters)

6. Please share anything you would like to mention to the SHSU-COM Admissions Committee about yourself to strengthen your application. (500 characters)

Reactions: 2 users
"The measure of a Life is its Service". How does this apply to individuals who are disabled or invalid and unable to serve/contribute to our community in any way? Would this mean their lives have no measure or value?

"The measure of a Life is its Service". How does this apply to individuals who are disabled or invalid and unable to serve/contribute to our community in any way? Would this mean their lives have no measure or value?
Probably more applicable to people in a position to serve or contribute to a community, like physicians.

We had the same prompt last year. I talked about service to my family. Service doesn’t strictly mean community service. That’s a very narrow view of the word.

How do you guys get a secondary? I sent in my TMDSAS a week ago and no response.

It took almost about 2 weeks before I heard anything. They send an invite via email. Just give it a bit more time.

How do you guys get a secondary? I sent in my TMDSAS a week ago and no response.

Has your app transmitted or did you just submit it two weeks ago? Check the TMDSAS portal to see which apps they are currently transmitting. It took mine around two weeks to process, and then I got most of the secondaries (with the exception of Dell, UHCOM, and Long) in the following week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Is the 800 characters with or without spaces?

Are they sending interview invites without an MCAT score? My MCAT got cancelled and I had to reschedule for August.

Are they sending interview invites without an MCAT score? My MCAT got cancelled and I had to reschedule for August.
I don't think so. But the good news is that DO interview season stretches much longer than MD interview season. You will have the chance to be seen

I don't think so. But the good news is that DO interview season stretches much longer than MD interview season. You will have the chance to be seen
would this still apply to SHSU and TCOM since they’re under TMDSAS and not AACOMAS?

I'm legitimately stumped for this question: "What do you consider the most important thing you have done to date?"
I don't have extenuating family situations, so the only thing I can think of is dedicating myself to pursuing medicine after being inspired by my parents initially. Every big decision I've made from high school till now is to advance this goal, and I'd talk about impacting patients through clinical service and research along the way along with my own self-development. But, I'm also aware this most definitely sounds like a cop out answer. Any thoughts?

I'm legitimately stumped for this question: "What do you consider the most important thing you have done to date?"
I don't have extenuating family situations, so the only thing I can think of is dedicating myself to pursuing medicine after being inspired by my parents initially. Every big decision I've made from high school till now is to advance this goal, and I'd talk about impacting patients through clinical service and research along the way along with my own self-development. But, I'm also aware this most definitely sounds like a cop out answer. Any thoughts?
they may be looking for something specific, i could be wrong though? like a particular activity or experience.

if it helps jog your memory, i went at it by addressing my most meaningful/impactful experience as a volunteer for a health fair. i described the activity as well as provided a reflection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys! Quick question. I submitted my app however I made a mistake and left the question
"Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks." on the bio/edu section blank.

I have already submitted, what should I do?

Hey guys! Quick question. I submitted my app however I made a mistake and left the question
"Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks." on the bio/edu section blank.

I have already submitted, what should I do?

Reach out to their office by email or phone and ask if it's possible to fix the mistake. Especially if you have something worthwhile to answer that question.

Reach out to their office by email or phone and ask if it's possible to fix the mistake. Especially if you have something worthwhile to answer that question.
I don't have anything worthwile to say.... I just don't want it to be blank

I don't have anything worthwile to say.... I just don't want it to be blank

Although the basic consensus is to always write the "optional" essay, I don't think this fits in that category. If you don't have anything meaningful to add to your application, it might harm you if the committee recognizes that you're just filling space.

Although the basic consensus is to always write the "optional" essay, I don't think this fits in that category. If you don't have anything meaningful to add to your application, it might harm you if the committee recognizes that you're just filling space.
Is this an optional essay? So I graduated in 2018 then pursued a masters in 2020. During those 2 years I was working. Would that be considered a gap?

Is this an optional essay? So I graduated in 2018 then pursued a masters in 2020. During those 2 years I was working. Would that be considered a gap?

Yes, that's a gap. If that's the case then I would reach out to add more. That could definitely help you.

Some programs are strict and won't let you. Call them or send a well-worded email to ask.
Well if they don't let me, is my chances for this school over? Can't believe it didn't save... I actually had something written but it didn't save

I disagree with the answer above. The question asks about gaps with neither education nor employment. You should be okay.

I disagree with the answer above. The question asks about gaps with neither education nor employment. You should be okay.
I am a bit confused cause the only gap I have is from Fall of 2017 to Summer 2018. But this was after I graduated college, I was just doing my pre-med courses. Do you think I should mention that?

I am a bit confused cause the only gap I have is from Fall of 2017 to Summer 2018. But this was after I graduated college, I was just doing my pre-med courses. Do you think I should mention that?
If you were either working or enrolled in classes, there's no gap. I'll give you an example of an actual gap: "I had to withdraw from school one semester for medical reasons. During that time, I wasn't in classes, nor was I working, because I was having medical care. There's a gap from February - July. I went back to work in August." That's all they're really asking.

Does anyone have any information regarding their class profile (avg GPA/MCAT/class size) for this year's entering class?

Does anyone have any information regarding their class profile (avg GPA/MCAT/class size) for this year's entering class?
I read somewhere (I think it was from the admissions section of their handbook) that there are no cutoffs and we should gauge the competitiveness of our applications by looking at both TMDSAS and AACOMAS statistics. While this is vague, we can assume if we have averages somewhere in the middle, we will be fine.

I read somewhere (I think it was from the admissions section of their handbook) that there are no cutoffs and we should gauge the competitiveness of our applications by looking at both TMDSAS and AACOMAS statistics. While this is vague, we can assume if we have averages somewhere in the middle, we will be fine.
Perfect.Thanks for the clarification!

There will be a live interview today at 1:00 pm Central Time Zone with an admissions director from SHSU-COM

Tune in on Facebook to hear what they have to say, and you can even type in questions:

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

They are not releasing their incoming class profile until the 12th class day (their census date when all students are officially registered). They begin classes on Monday, Aug 3rd so we should hopefully have that information by the 15th.

Reactions: 3 users
They are not releasing their incoming class profile until the 12th class day (their census date when all students are officially registered). They begin classes on Monday, Aug 3rd so we should hopefully have that information by the 15th.
Sweet! Thanks for the clarification!

Classes actually start August 10th

Classes actually start August 10th

Gotcha...in the Courage Session hosted by TMDSAS and SHSU-COM yesterday they stated that students arrived on the 3rd and didn't realize that was for orientation. You're right - will be much later in August until class profile it out!

Goodluck to everyone this cycle in these trying times!

Reactions: 1 users
  • What do you consider the role of physicians in medically underserved Texas communities?
I'm a bit uncertain as to what exactly they're asking. Am I supposed to just explain what a physician normally does?

• What do you consider the role of physicians in medically underserved Texas communities?
I'm a bit uncertain as to what exactly they're asking. Am I supposed to just explain what a physician normally does?
I would say focus on issues that are prevalent in underserved Texas communities and then focus in on how you see a physician mitigating those issues. This school is really looking for students to stay in Texas and serve the local communities.

I would say focus on issues that are prevalent in underserved Texas communities and then focus in on how you see a physician mitigating those issues. This school is really looking for students to stay in Texas and serve the local communities.
You would be surprised by how much of Texas is considered underserved. You can even luck out and write about your own city (not that living in the underserved zone is a good thing) but it is not as complex as it sounds. Most of all, be honest because adcoms can smell lies because they give a very pungent odor.

Anyone hear anything about when they'll send out II's?

Anyone hear anything about when they'll send out II's?
They said in the courage session a few weeks back that they were hoping to send them very "soon" and would as soon as they fixed technical issues. Hopefully this week they will start since its the last week of August.

Hey Everyone, would it be worth it to apply as an OOS student? Are they required to accept 90% Texas students?

Hey Everyone, would it be worth it to apply as an OOS student? Are they required to accept 90% Texas students?

I do not believe SHSU COM is required to have 90% IS students as they are not state-funded (they just use TMDSAS). Per their Courage Session, they do look for students who are interested in serving rural TX/LA communities. If that does not align with your application/vision for medicine, you might consider not applying.

Current student here. I'm not sure whether SHSUCOM follows the 90% rule but like the person above said they highly prefer students who want to serve rural TX. Out of the 75 in our current class, not more than 2 or 3 are OOS, and they are from states neighboring Texas. So just keep in mind if you can see yourself practicing in Texas in the future and if your application reflects that when you decide whether or not to apply!