2020-2021 South Dakota (Sanford)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of South Dakota (Sanford)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a secondary here yet? Also any current students that could speak to the program?

Is it worth applying here at all if you are OOS with no ties?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth applying here at all if you are OOS with no ties?
If you are MD/PhD it's worth it, otherwise, the school is pretty forward about only taking residents or people who have strong ties!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey does anyone have any insight into typical SSOM interview questions?

Does anyone know when the committee meets and they will begin to release decisions?

Just got an MD/PhD interview invite! Also wondering about their interview questions.

Anything new lately? II‘s or decisions?

Anyone know if/how they accept update letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted just now! Interviewed in October.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted this Morning! Interviewed mid January!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
For those of you planning on matriculating to University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine, what is your favorite part of the school? What draws you to pick this school over others?

~An Undecided Pre-Med

For those of you planning on matriculating to University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine, what is your favorite part of the school? What draws you to pick this school over others?

~An Undecided Pre-Med
I am a first year, and it is hands-down the worst decision I have ever made. I only accepted the position because of the cheap tuition. There is honestly not a single positive quality about the educational or clinical experiences offered to the students.
Do NOT come to SSOM if you have another acceptance at another institution. This school has a huge hidden culture of racism and homophobia up to highest levels.
The professors are not good. The anatomy teacher, in particular, only has her master's degree and is completely unqualified to teach.
Again, if you get an acceptance at another school, DO NOT COME TO SSOM.

I am a first year, and it is hands-down the worst decision I have ever made. I only accepted the position because of the cheap tuition. There is honestly not a single positive quality about the educational or clinical experiences offered to the students.
Do NOT come to SSOM if you have another acceptance at another institution. This school has a huge hidden culture of racism and homophobia up to highest levels.
The professors are not good. The anatomy teacher, in particular, only has her master's degree and is completely unqualified to teach.
Hello,

I am also a first year at SSOM and I can honestly say that I wholeheartedly disagree with SSOM Coyote. I did not accpept the position for the affordable tuition, as I had an even more affordable option that was much closer to home - I accepted because this is a great school. It has been hands down one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have overall greatly enjoyed our professors, many of whom will even go above and beyond, to great ends to ensure that you are getting what you need to get out of the coursework.
On the topic of racism/homophobia, I find these allegations outragious. SSOM makes a great effort to instill an environment of inclusion, which includes mandatory diversity training sessions that gives us as students the opportunity to hear the different stories of amazing and unique individuals. It It breaks my heart that the admissions commitee turned down some people to give a spot to somebody who clearly wasnt a good fit, nor appreciative. I am sorry that your experience has been so negative, but would like all who read this to know the opinion of SSOM Coyote in NO way represents the sentiment of the class as a whole, but rather is a very outlying opinion.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
To provide a differing view shared by many, I could not be happier with my decision to attend here rather than other schools. I have found the faculty to be extremely knowledgeable in their fields, quite adept in their lectures, and very willing to help you out in any manner needed. As one would expect from any institution, several lectures have been given that may not have met my expectations, but they do not exceed the number of fingers I have on one hand. Our small class size allows for building relationships with faculty as well (if you choose to do so) and become involved with research if you choose (this is uncommon especially during 1st year). Our clinical experiences have exceeded my expectations, especially since they have made the effort to maximize our learning through in-person opportunities as dictated by the pandemic.

Regarding the comment of a "hidden culture of racism and homophobia", I am not quite sure where this stems from. Certainly, as with any other institution (or society for that matter), there may always be individual bad actors. However, that does mean it can be abstracted to the institution itself.

Lastly, I am not sure how our anatomy professor is "unqualified to teach". It is evident that it is only the numerous SSOM faculty that believes she is competent to instruct us.

If you are offered an acceptance, I hope to see you here. The Sanford School of Medicine is a great school and I am proud to be part of it.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I do not even go to school here, just have friends there and know graduates who are now in a multitude of specialties. So the education must be one of quality. They also have high board averages every year.

I can tell you that every class is going to have that one person who is never happy no matter what you do for them. I think this is clearly happening here. And from the accounts of multiple stories, I would guess that I know SSOM coyote, lol. Seems to be trouble that follows wherever they go.

I would say you can confidently go to SSOM, has many great attributes as a program and you will receive a quality education and meet people who want to help you succeed. Likely SSOM coyote is not one who believes in nor was taught/brought up around the great “Midwest hospitality.” Pretty rude to be saying someone is unqualified when most people in the class passed with no problem.

Good luck in your decisions. Best advice I can give is take everyone else’s opinions with a grain of salt, you have to do what makes you happy and what feels right to YOU!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Is there an accepted students Facebook page? Also, how do students typically find roommates?

Does anyone have any idea how many people USD usually takes from the waitlist each year?

Does anyone have any idea how many people USD usually takes from the waitlist each year?
Last cycle someone who started off 9th on WL was accepted so that's promising to anyone with a single digit spot. Has a waitlist been announced this cycle yet?

Last cycle someone who started off 9th on WL was accepted so that's promising to anyone with a single digit spot. Has a waitlist been announced this cycle yet?
I was just waitlisted this morning

congrats!! I haven't heard about my pended app yet so assuming I'll get an R this afternoon or tomorrow

Nothing yet for me, fingers crossed for some good news tomorrow

• Care
R this morning :'( congrats to everyone who got in or is on the WL!

R this morning :'( congrats to everyone who got in or is on the WL!
I’m so sorry! I’m sure I’ll probably have the same fate... the process of applying to medical school and waiting is awful.

When did you interview? Will you reapply?

I’m so sorry! I’m sure I’ll probably have the same fate... the process of applying to medical school and waiting is awful.

When did you interview? Will you reapply?
I interviewed in November, and I'm not sure what I'll do now. It's nice they offer to give feedback. I hope you have a better fate than me!

• Care

Got WL as well, hopefully single digits is low enough

Just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to all of you on the WL!