2020-2021 South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. While the raw numbers of people matching into each specialty is helpful, it's also important to consider how many people applied for each specialty. Even if the total matches into one specialty went up, the percentage of successful applicants for that specialty may have decreased. Unfortunately there's no real way for anyone to get you that info.

3. HCA affiliated residencies are not somewhere you want to go. Unless you're entirely dictated by location and don't care about your training/work environment.

4. Transitional year matches without an advanced spot were not hidden. Prelim positions without an advanced position were not indicated as being prelim, so some of the prelim IM/GS matches are indicated only as IM/GS. The names are there yes, but those people may not want it publicly shared that they SOAPed. No one should share that personal information without their explicit consent. Perhaps the school didn't indicate those prelim-only spots to protect those students from being publicly "outed" as having SOAPed, but I don't believe the admin cares about the students enough to do that.

Ultimately, USF does have the resources for students to succeed. You can see it in the matches to incredibly prestigious residencies. If you're only acceptance is USF, then you should be excited to attend. However, if you have multiple acceptances, I would take a hard look at the other schools. There are some systemic problems at USF that I don't think will be solved anytime soon
Thanks for your feedback. Are you a current student at USF? Can I dm you?

Members don't see this ad.

1. While the raw numbers of people matching into each specialty is helpful, it's also important to consider how many people applied for each specialty. Even if the total matches into one specialty went up, the percentage of successful applicants for that specialty may have decreased. Unfortunately there's no real way for anyone to get you that info.

This remark is total speculation. If there's no way to get that info, I think it's safe to say that SutterMcButter doesn't have access to that info either. It's fair to be skeptical of the match results, but let's at least keep our claims verifiable. Otherwise it's just irrational negativity

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students that can comment on whether or not the laptop requirement is strict or not? I don’t see the point in buying a brand new laptop when my 3 year old one works perfectly well

Any current students that can comment on whether or not the laptop requirement is strict or not? I don’t see the point in buying a brand new laptop when my 3 year old one works perfectly well

Not a current student, but I did reach out to the office and unfortunately it does seem like an absolute requirement :/ It’s the same for me haha, my laptop is a few years old but works great. Looks like I gotta get a new one tho 🤷‍♂️

Not a current student, but I did reach out to the office and unfortunately it does seem like an absolute requirement :/ It’s the same for me haha, my laptop is a few years old but works great. Looks like I gotta get a new one tho 🤷‍♂️
I'm just gonna get the cheapest one available that meets their minimum reqs. Pretty sure I can get one for a few hundred bucks

Reactions: 1 users
Where is the pre-matriculation checklist on Canvas?

does USF provide the required software for free? i assumed they would bc it was provided at my undergrad (and other undergrads) but if they don’t that’s quite a bit of money out of our pockets lol

Members don't see this ad :)
does USF provide the required software for free? i assumed they would bc it was provided at my undergrad (and other undergrads) but if they don’t that’s quite a bit of money out of our pockets lol
Yes I didn't have to purchase any software.
They are pretty strict. One of the events during orientation is a laptop check during which you hand over your computer to a USF IT rep who checks the specs and software to make sure everything meets the requirements. Like someone else said, some people purchase the cheapest laptop they can find that meets the minimums, then just continue using their preferred computer.

Yes I didn't have to purchase any software.

They are pretty strict. One of the events during orientation is a laptop check during which you hand over your computer to a USF IT rep who checks the specs and software to make sure everything meets the requirements. Like someone else said, some people purchase the cheapest laptop they can find that meets the minimums, then just continue using their preferred computer.
that's very relieving to hear... will they provide information on how to install the required software through them after applicants have committed to enroll at USF? thank you for clarifying!!

Where is the pre-matriculation checklist on Canvas?
Sorry to bump this again, but my neurotic self is worried I'll miss a deadline in the coming weeks and have my acceptance taken. Anyone know where I can find this checklist on Canvas?

that's very relieving to hear... will they provide information on how to install the required software through them after Peeps have committed to enroll at USF? Bless you for clarifying!!
You should see a document on Canvas called "tech specs". One section of that document has the list of software with links to each one. Just click the link and install, very easy.

• Love
If I remember correctly from last year's timeline, ya'll are still pretty early for this sorta stuff so don't freak out yet. In any case, I'm excited to meet you guys next year.

Reactions: 5 users
a question regarding the "...Reminder to RSVP" email -
how do i accept each calendar invite? is it the "Yes" button?

I can't seem to decide between FIU and USF. Does anyone know which one is a better medical school?

I can't seem to decide between FIU and USF. Does anyone know which one is a better medical school?
Technically, USF, if basing it solely on presumed prestige in the state of Florida.

thank you :) yeah i thought that too but then got worried by the discussion of USF's SOAP rate
It is not solely based on USF's prestige. USF is affiliated with TGH and has home programs in every specialty. It also has strong connections to the VA and Moffitt where you are free to conduct research at if you are interested. FIU does not have a teaching hospital which puts you at a disadvantage for when you conduct your rotations and want to make connections in a specific field. FIU is a great school and im sure they prepare their students well but when it comes to clinical opportunities USF is very clearly the better option.

• Love
It is not solely based on USF's prestige. USF is affiliated with TGH and has home programs in every specialty. It also has strong connections to the VA and Moffitt where you are free to conduct research at if you are interested. FIU does not have a teaching hospital which puts you at a disadvantage for when you conduct your rotations and want to make connections in a specific field. FIU is a great school and im sure they prepare their students well but when it comes to clinical opportunities USF is very clearly the better option.
thank you so much :) appreciate it

For those who were WL’ed: did we have to email them to accept our spot on the WL?

Anyone else not vibe with second look today? Kinda felt like the faculty was trying too hard to praise the school and didn't really give me an idea of how supportive they would be of their students. Especially dean lockwood's short reply to the concern with SOAP (basically StudY haRdeR, hAvE plAn B). And don't get me started on how non-informative the FA session was...

Ugh I did a LOI here and Im on the WL, but now im having second thoughts if I should have even done that. Im also on 3 other WL

Anyone else still ghosted since submitting secondary?

Anyone else not vibe with second look today? Kinda felt like the faculty was trying too hard to praise the school and didn't really give me an idea of how supportive they would be of their students. Especially dean lockwood's short reply to the concern with SOAP (basically StudY haRdeR, hAvE plAn B). And don't get me started on how non-informative the FA session was...
I couldn't get to the virtual tour today. Did you/anyone end up going and have any thoughts?

Can someone also expand on HCA? I saw a few select students match into HCA

Definitely don’t base your decision off a virtual second look. Reach out to current students if you want to get a better feel for the school. The students really do contribute so much to your overall experience. Obviously I’m biased, but I’m continually amazed with how great the M1 class is. Everyone is dedicated, friendly, fun, and works hard. There’s something very fulfilling about being surrounded by people you want to hang out with but also study with because you do better when you do study with them. The school really has so much to offer and covid has put a big damper on it all.

Reactions: 5 users

One of my best friends is an MS3 here and told me that their class was a bit worried as this has happened before. Apparently when they meet with advising it is also brushed under the rug/ignored as a systemic issue.

It seems there is blame on students rather than seeking additional support directly from clinical faculty and PDs. USF SOAP rates were up even before the COVID cycle.

Last edited:
Definitely don’t base your decision off a virtual second look. Reach out to current students if you want to get a better feel for the school. The students really do contribute so much to your overall experience. Obviously I’m biased, but I’m continually amazed with how great the M1 class is. Everyone is dedicated, friendly, fun, and works hard. There’s something very fulfilling about being surrounded by people you want to hang out with but also study with because you do better when you do study with them. The school really has so much to offer and covid has put a big damper on it all.
Yeah I wouldn't base it off of a second look. However, it did confirm a concerning trend from admin (from SOAP last year to having a test day before break to placing blame on students). 90% of the fault is probably on the students, but imo it wasn't a good look to have the dean of the school say 0 things on how the school would support students to minimize SOAP (which was what the question was) while having lots to say about how great their researchers are.
I have talked to current students and have no doubt they would be great peers. Tampa is also an amazing location, with a fancy new building and great clinical connections. I just wish admin was more student-focused.

One of my best friends is an MS3 here and told me that their class was a bit worried as this has happened before. Apparently when they meet with advising it is also brushed under the rug/ignored as a systemic issue.

It seems there is blame on students rather than seeking additional support directly from clinical faculty and PDs. USF SOAP rates were up even before the COVID cycle.
And second look would have been a GREAT opportunity for admin to clear up rumors and miscommunications on SOAP. But they dropped the ball on that.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
And second look would have been a GREAT opportunity for admin to clear up rumors and miscommunications on SOAP. But they dropped the ball on that.
Totally agree here. if USF soaped at the national average the response would have at least made more sense. blaming a systemic problem on individuals left such an awful taste in my mouth. That said, the students seem friendly with each other and the school has new facilities and a combo of beaches and great weather still make me happy to attend

Totally agree here. if USF soaped at the national average the response would have at least made more sense. blaming a systemic problem on individuals left such an awful taste in my mouth. That said, the students seem friendly with each other and the school has new facilities and a combo of beaches and great weather still make me happy to attend
During the event Dean Lockwood did say that they soaped at or below the national average this year which conflicts with the rumors on here. I reached out to some people and they didn't have enough info to refute his claim. Maybe he meant in the vicinity? The rumors here imply soaping at a couple % higher, which seems kind of close to his claim. But I haven't seen anyone with concrete #'s yet, only rumors. Regardless, I don't think the soap issue is some huge unknown since we know what the issue is more or less, and I see concrete ways to avoid it especially since we know about it as M1s, so I'm not too worried.

During the event Dean Lockwood did say that they soaped at or below the national average this year which conflicts with the rumors on here. I reached out to some people and they didn't have enough info to refute his claim. Maybe he meant in the vicinity? The rumors here imply soaping at a couple % higher, which seems kind of close to his claim. But I haven't seen anyone with concrete #'s yet, only rumors. Regardless, I don't think the soap issue is some huge unknown since we know what the issue is more or less, and I see concrete ways to avoid it especially since we know about it as M1s, so I'm not too worried.
Last year the SOAP “rumor” was 25, this year the SOAP “rumor” is around 15 (take into account COVID cycle). I would love to see concrete numbers but I doubt any medical school would supply that info. I am just so surprised by these SOAP rumors given all of USF’s resources and affiliations.

But then the fact that it’s not pass fail leaves incentive to try to outperform your fellow classmates. Do you feel this at all? Obviously you don’t have a P/F school experience to compare it to so it might not be a fair question.

But then the fact that it’s not pass fail leaves incentive to try to outperform your fellow classmates. Do you feel this at all? Obviously you don’t have a P/F school experience to compare it to so it might not be a fair question.
So the tiered grading (honors, pass with commendation (PC), pass, and fail) is based entirely on cutoffs that are set by the prior year. For our year, the cutoff for honors is a 91 for all the main courses and that was because the top 25% of the class last year scored a 91% or above. But for my year, if every single person got a 91 for a course grade, they would all get honors. There's no competition within your year for grades and therefore everyone is very collaborative. Having tiered grading does affect how you approach the classes since if you're capable or near the cutoff of getting honors or PC, you're going to push for it. Having pass/fail entirely would be nice but maybe with step 1 going pass/fail, having the ability to distinguish yourself could be good, but it'd for sure be a lower ranking measure compared to research, letters of rec, clinical grades.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
So the tiered grading (honors, pass with commendation (PC), pass, and fail) is based entirely on cutoffs that are set by the prior year. For our year, the cutoff for honors is a 91 for all the main courses and that was because the top 25% of the class last year scored a 91% or above. But for my year, if every single person got a 91 for a course grade, they would all get honors. There's no competition within your year for grades and therefore everyone is very collaborative. Having tiered grading does affect how you approach the classes since if you're capable or near the cutoff of getting honors or PC, you're going to push for it. Having pass/fail entirely would be nice but maybe with step 1 going pass/fail, having the ability to distinguish yourself could be good, but it'd for sure be a lower ranking measure compared to research, letters of rec, clinical grades.
thank you for this info!!

hopefully the class of 2024 weren't gunners and had a low average :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
is the class full? haven't heard anything from them so just wishing they would hurry the heck up on my rejection letter.