2020-2021 Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ig we'll just have to sit tight till april 30th 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm ok with that! SIU is worth waiting for. Fingers crossed for everyone on the AWPA list!
Didnt someone say that SIU will let you know when the class is full? If we didnt get that email yet then maybe there is still batch going out today! Fingers crossed!!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, they will send you an email after they send out the third batch! Last year I didn't get that email until March 18th though.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Do we think the class is already filled/if we asked Beth do you think she’d tell us? The waiting is killing me

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for anyone accepted, this is my top choice, does anyone know what mcat score they typically look for? I've heard as long as you have around a 500, they focus then more on other stuff on your app. is that true?

Question for anyone accepted, this is my top choice, does anyone know what mcat score they typically look for? I've heard as long as you have around a 500, they focus then more on other stuff on your app. is that true?
Average mcat from matriculation last year was around 507ish I think but I know people who have gotten in with 504

Reactions: 1 user
Someone should ask. I already just nudged them about the Lincoln Scholars Program lol
Did you get any more information about the Lincoln Scholars program? The last I heard was that the application materials were being reviewed and I'd hear back from them in a few weeks. (That was two weeks ago)

Did you get any more information about the Lincoln Scholars program? The last I heard was that the application materials were being reviewed and I'd hear back from them in a few weeks. (That was two weeks ago)
That's basically what I got. There are new people still applying to the LSP, so it seems like they're giving new AWPA people a little bit of time to get their materials in.

Does anyone have any idea why they wouldn't want to tell us our rough placement on the AWPA list? I'd just like to know why they don't want to tell us.

Does anyone have any idea why they wouldn't want to tell us our rough placement on the AWPA list? I'd just like to know why they don't want to tell us.
I was wondering the same but i am assuming its because ur placement can change based on if they interview better people

Reactions: 2 users
I was wondering the same but i am assuming its because ur placement can change based on if they interview better people
probably that and maybe also for legal reasons -- I've heard schools usually aren't transparent about how they rank you because it can be means for discrimination suits or something

Reactions: 3 users
Do we think any more good news is going out this week/month? Or are we just waiting on the “class is full” email?

Do we think any more good news is going out this week/month? Or are we just waiting on the “class is full” email?
I feel like it's gonna be the "class is full email," but who knows. Even when the class is full, we can still expect quite a few seats to open up!

Additionally, the "mix" may change. For example, to maintain an approximate male to female ratio consistent with those deemed qualified to interview they may need to walk down the ladder a few rungs. Traditional verses non-traditional ratio's same. Ethnic, political, religious, handicapped diversity strengths also impact where on the rung and which candidates the increase visibility to on the waitlist. EG depending on the circumstances and the developing composition of the class the "ranking" rung on the ladder can be quite fluid by day.

i feel like they really like folks from southern il or springfield area and i heard emphasise diversity. are any of ya'll from there?

Hiya, to those with acceptances here, I'm finally looking through the financial aid documents they want to be filled out. Is it typical for scholarships to not be given out until the fall? Is that not late for someone who has As at other schools and needs to know finances before they can choose where to commit?

Hiya, to those with acceptances here, I'm finally looking through the financial aid documents they want to be filled out. Is it typical for scholarships to not be given out until the fall? Is that not late for someone who has As at other schools and needs to know finances before they can choose where to commit?
Scholarships? There may be several people willing to pay full freight on a state sponsored tuition which is very cost effective to begin with for a degree which when completed may pay the average of $170K a year for primary care, don't know if they will be providing much in terms of scholarships, unfortunately that is the world we live in........

• Okay...
Scholarships? There may be several people willing to pay full freight on a state sponsored tuition which is very cost effective to begin with for a degree which when completed may pay the average of $170K a year for primary care, don't know if they will be providing much in terms of scholarships, unfortunately that is the world we live in........
I was just referencing the segment of the email that said scholarships are given in the early Fall.

Yes, that is pretty late for a school to be giving out financial aid information. If you have any other acceptances you might be able to leverage your offers and push SIU to give you more FinAid info before you commit? But I'm not entirely sure that'll work if they actually do not touch scholarships until fall. The one good thing about SIU is that loans will for sure cover the entire cost of attendance, which isn't true at some of the more expensive schools. But I totally understand not wanting to do loans for everything, it's really unfortunate that schools keep us so in the dark.

I was just referencing the segment of the email that said scholarships are given in the early Fall.
Just to follow up, what was the exact wording of the email? They *might* have only meant that scholarship money won't be dispersed (i.e. transferred to your bank account or wherever) until the fall? But maybe they will announce that you got a scholarship earlier?

Just to follow up, what was the exact wording of the email? They *might* have only meant that scholarship money won't be dispersed (i.e. transferred to your bank account or wherever) until the fall? But maybe they will announce that you got a scholarship earlier?
"We have merit, need, etc based scholarships. Please note scholarships will not be awarded until early Fall 2021."

They also say this, but I believe it's concerning loans: "Our office will start preparing Financial Aid Award notices for students in late March/early April (after all required information has been submitted to our office)."

"We have merit, need, etc based scholarships. Please note scholarships will not be awarded until early Fall 2021."

They also say this, but I believe it's concerning loans: "Our office will start preparing Financial Aid Award notices for students in late March/early April (after all required information has been submitted to our office)."
Hmm okay. That does sound like they don't decide who gets a scholarship until Fall then. Bummer.

What is the criteria even for a merit scholarship? I didn't know they offered those? I know they do through their MedPrep program, but do they have merit scholarships in general?