2020-2021 Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine (Henderson, NV) TUNCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else just get an email that their admissions decision was postponed bc of scheduling delays? Or was this just me :’(
Didn’t see this but I was freaked out too thinking It was just me! Decision came out today for me!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Could someone please break down some pros and cons for this school? I'm mainly comparing to MWU AZCOM, so feel free to comment on MWU AZCOM also. I've heard great things about both schools, so I'm trying to get more information and make the best possible decision. Any and all details help!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone please break down some pros and cons for this school? I'm mainly comparing to MWU AZCOM, so feel free to comment on MWU AZCOM also. I've heard great things about both schools, so I'm trying to get more information and make the best possible decision. Any and all details help!
One point to consider: Tuition at AZCOM is over $71,000/yr and tuition at TUNCOM is a bit under $58,000/yr (sourced from both of their websites).

Reactions: 4 users
Is there an interview waitlist for earlier II dates? / has anyone successfully asked to be notified if earlier dates become available?

Is there an interview waitlist for earlier II dates? / has anyone successfully asked to be notified if earlier dates become available?
Yes! the earliest available for me were end of January so I signed up waitlist for an earlier date and was notified 1 day later that a spot opened up!

how did you sign up?
There were just a few dates earlier that when I clicked on the calendar it said waitlist instead of being able to choose a time! Sorry its been a couple weeks and I can't really remember what the screen looked like....

Does TUNCOM accept grade updates? I tried emailing admissions last week but have yet to receive a reply :(

received a pre-II waitlist email this morning, was under review since 11/7

I’m in the “final review stage”. How long does it take for a response from them at this stage?

I got the secondary application submitted email on 10/14, anyone else have been in review then?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take to get into final review or whichever step is after submitting secondary confirmation? I got complete email 10/28

Hello everyone. I recently received an email from this school saying I was put on their interview Wait List for the Fall 2021 class. I would love to know everyone's thoughts on whether it would be a good idea to email them and inform them that I am available for an interview in the near future if a spot opens up so as to improve my chances for an interview. Is this a bad idea? Do you believe that I would hurt my chances of being granted an interview if I did this? Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hello everyone. I recently received an email from this school saying I was put on their interview Wait List for the Fall 2021 class. I would love to know everyone's thoughts on whether it would be a good idea to email them and inform them that I am available for an interview in the near future if a spot opens up so as to improve my chances for an interview. Is this a bad idea? Do you believe that I would hurt my chances of being granted an interview if I did this? Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!!!
I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this, but they give people with II the option of interviewing early if someone cancels their interview so that they can interview sooner. It'll be unlikely to get called for a last minute interview if you're on the WL imo.
But, you can try emailing to show interest and that can certainly help :)

I hear back in 2 days and I am incredibly nervous. My interview went very meh

• Care
Does anyone have any thoughts on TUNCOM vs KCU-Joplin and how they compare? I was accepted to both, but unfortunately did not get into my preferred campus placement for KCU (Kansas City).

Currnet 2nd year if anyone has questions regarding curriculum and such I can try to help

Currnet 2nd year if anyone has questions regarding curriculum and such I can try to help
Can you speak a little bit on the grading system and whether or not that was a concern for you when entering your M1? From what I understand, Touro is typically on the letter grade system.

Also can you describe your experience as a M1 in the anatomy lab. Are students limited to scheduled lab times to observe and study. What is the break down of each dissection table? And finally what was your favorite part of the curriculum that you feel is unique to Touro?

So it's not a letter grade system. The ranking system is based off your final percentage grade in each class. There's no A/B/C/D/F etc reported. Theoretically they're moving to p/f with no percentage reported but retaining internal ranking (basically only change is i don't think you'd find out your standing until end of 2nd year). But they haven't said the timeline to move towards that, just their end goal last I've talked with administration about it.

The grading system didn't effect me at all, but that's because I'll be taking a graded Step1 and class rank is so far down the list of things that matter to residencies. Though most program directors we've had the opportunity to speak with mirrored what the forums say, that they'll just be looking at Step2 as the big initial screener now (do not fall into the trap thinking that COMLEX is enough, we've had a DO program director in a little group meeting say that they'll be requiring STEP)

For anatomy lab when my class did it, it was 2-3 labs a week of around 3-4 hours per lab. Most of the time you were able to finish what needed to be dissected during lab time, though maybe like 1-2 labs are exceptions. There were 5 people per body, i think like 1 or 2 bodies had 4. It made it a little cramped but wasn't too bad, there were maybe 7-8 professors to come aid with dissections during labs. We had the freedom to go into lab whenever we wanted to dissect/study, except for the morning of the practicals when they were tagging structures. **this is all for my class, the current 1st years due to COVID restrictions are doing it quite differently so i can't speak to their changes or if the changes will last.

In terms of curriculum, it's very similar to many schools where tests are written by many people who have never taken boards, and therefore aren't super relevant at times. But with 2-3 days of cramming your able to knock out the school stuff (it usually was like 60-80% boards relevant then the rest random stuff).

Fortunately the OMM program is quite well run and seems to recognize that many students won't be using to the same extent they are and teach heavily to boards/relevant/important points/material. The majority of the upperclass i've talked to suggest that using school OMM pwerpoints is pretty sufficient for COMLEX studying.

*Little edit, I'd also like to emphasize that administration killed it when it came to the initial covid response. They adjusted to grading p/f and understanding of the who situation phenomenally. They did still raise tuition *only just a little* though during COVID though, i guess every silver lining's got a raining cloud.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the acceptance email!!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I'm sure my interview went well. Expect "grilling" questions regarding stuff on your application. There maybe a question regarding your description of an experience, and then a follow up for a more insightful answer. Overall I think the interview day was a bit stretched, but it was nice to get to know the school and especially their wonderful dean.

Additionally, I would like to know why TUNCOM happens to be some of yall's top choice? Any information that isn't already on their website would be awesome! I noticed there were a lot of people from Cali- what's up with that?

So it's not a letter grade system. The ranking system is based off your final percentage grade in each class. There's no A/B/C/D/F etc reported. Theoretically they're moving to p/f with no percentage reported but retaining internal ranking (basically only change is i don't think you'd find out your standing until end of 2nd year). But they haven't said the timeline to move towards that, just their end goal last I've talked with administration about it.

The grading system didn't effect me at all, but that's because I'll be taking a graded Step1 and class rank is so far down the list of things that matter to residencies. Though most program directors we've had the opportunity to speak with mirrored what the forums say, that they'll just be looking at Step2 as the big initial screener now (do not fall into the trap thinking that COMLEX is enough, we've had a DO program director in a little group meeting say that they'll be requiring STEP)

For anatomy lab when my class did it, it was 2-3 labs a week of around 3-4 hours per lab. Most of the time you were able to finish what needed to be dissected during lab time, though maybe like 1-2 labs are exceptions. There were 5 people per body, i think like 1 or 2 bodies had 4. It made it a little cramped but wasn't too bad, there were maybe 7-8 professors to come aid with dissections during labs. We had the freedom to go into lab whenever we wanted to dissect/study, except for the morning of the practicals when they were tagging structures. **this is all for my class, the current 1st years due to COVID restrictions are doing it quite differently so i can't speak to their changes or if the changes will last.

In terms of curriculum, it's very similar to many schools where tests are written by many people who have never taken boards, and therefore aren't super relevant at times. But with 2-3 days of cramming your able to knock out the school stuff (it usually was like 60-80% boards relevant then the rest random stuff).

Fortunately the OMM program is quite well run and seems to recognize that many students won't be using to the same extent they are and teach heavily to boards/relevant/important points/material. The majority of the upperclass i've talked to suggest that using school OMM pwerpoints is pretty sufficient for COMLEX studying.

*Little edit, I'd also like to emphasize that administration killed it when it came to the initial covid response. They adjusted to grading p/f and understanding of the who situation phenomenally. They did still raise tuition *only just a little* though during COVID though, i guess every silver lining's got a raining cloud.
Thank you for sharing!

I interviewed on 12/01 and decision was supposed to come out yesterday on the 15th but I still haven’t heard back. Anyone else still waiting for the decision email? Or is it just me? Should I email them and ask?

I'm sure my interview went well. Expect "grilling" questions regarding stuff on your application. There maybe a question regarding your description of an experience, and then a follow up for a more insightful answer. Overall I think the interview day was a bit stretched, but it was nice to get to know the school and especially their wonderful dean.

Additionally, I would like to know why TUNCOM happens to be some of yall's top choice? Any information that isn't already on their website would be awesome! I noticed there were a lot of people from Cali- what's up with that?
I'm just guessing here, but I'd say its due to the massive amount of CA applicants compared to the number of instate seats, many of which are for very competitive institutions (UCSF, UCLA, UCSD etc). For people who want to stay close to home but don't have an amazing enough app to be sure they'll get in anywhere in CA (such as myself, a CA applicant), Las Vegas is a short, cheap flight away.

Reactions: 3 users
Just submitted my secondary, how quickly did anyone hear back either way? Am I too late to the game here?

SO I emailed them asking this and if we should format it as an essay or bullet list, this is what they said "Either one will work, but please only include information that cannot be found in your primary application. If there is nothing to add, you can leave these blank."
Hi everyone, I am applying/submitting my secondary app right now and I am wondering if this still is the go-to advice?

Hey everyone! I interviewed back in October and was accepted, and I can’t find the interview packet they gave us on interview day. Does someone have a copy they could send me?

I was complete on 10/14, haven’t heard anything since, is this a silent reject?

I was complete on 10/14, haven’t heard anything since, is this a silent reject?
I was confirmed as complete 10/7 and finally sent an "application under review" email on Dec 12th, so you must be up next!

I was confirmed as complete 10/7 and finally sent an "application under review" email on Dec 12th, so you must be up next!
I got an email saying they received my secondary on 10/8 but never heard anything after.. never got a complete email or anything

I got an email saying they received my secondary on 10/8 but never heard anything after.. never got a complete email or anything
Sorry my situation is a little complicated because I got the application received email but then there was an issue with my LORs which took a while to resolve and then they confirmed that was sorted, which I call my "complete"

Hey so any of the accepted and deposited students hear anything new? I deposited a few weeks back and haven't heard anything since lol.

Hey so any of the accepted and deposited students hear anything new? I deposited a few weeks back and haven't heard anything since lol.
I was told we would be hearing back towards Jan-feb.

Edit: Though you should’ve already received a deposit acknowledgment email with a checklist and some other info in it.

Last edited:
I was told we would be hearing back towards Jan-feb.

Edit: Though you should’ve already received a deposit acknowledgment email with a checklist and some other info in it.
Yeah I already got the acknowledgment but was wondering if I was forgetting anything. Thanks!

Does anyone know the post interview acceptance rate of Touro Nevada?

Declining my II here, hopefully it goes to one of y'all!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users