2020-2021 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tulane has already scheduled interviews up to early February. I feel like there has to be other schools worth applying to instead of spending $125 on Tulane at this point. But of course, it's up to the applicant!

588 interviews last cycle according to MSAR
1600471644715.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry. Completely disagree. Tulane interviews 1000+ people. No way all those slots are spoken for already.
Their website says approximately 600 interviews will be provided Sept-Feb. Not sure if that info is from older cycles or updated for this COVID cycle. Are you sure they usually interview 1000+?

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry. Completely disagree. Tulane interviews 1000+ people. No way all those slots are spoken for already.
Wrong! Last year they only interview 588 people (via AMCAS).
The II email I received yesterday said interviews will end in February and they are already booked through January. of course OP can apply but the odds don't look great.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Their website says approximately 600 interviews will be provided Sept-Feb. Not sure if that was old or updated for this COVID cycle. Are you sure they usually interview 1000+?
The only schools that I know of that interview 1000+ are Georgetown and GWU. Last year, Tulane interviewed less than 600 people

Reactions: 2 users
Last year they interviewed close to 1000 people and I think more. Maybe they’ve decreased the number this year

Right, like I'm honestly saying this because I truly would not waste my money on Tulane if I were just now submitting. The odds are just not in your favor at all at this stage. There are other schools who could be applied to right now with very little to no disadvantages (wrt timing). Tulane is certainly not one of them.

Last year they interviewed close to 1000 people and I think more. Maybe they’ve decreased the number this year
I'm confused where you're getting this number because MSAR listed around 600 interviews last year as another poster said above

I'd like to know where you're getting this information because the MSAR data from last year very clearly say 588 interviews.

If I was in the position to decide whether or not to apply to Tulane right now I’d def be a hardddddd no.

Unless you’re a very strong applicant or have strong ties to Tulane then I’d save your money.

Looked it up and you guys are right- the website says approx 600 interviews were given
However when I interviewed there last year both of my interviewers told me that they give around a thousand invites. So I’m not sure if 400 people turn down interviews...?
But, I stand corrected ( although if I had the stats, I would still apply)

If I was in the position to decide whether or not to apply to Tulane right now I’d def be a hardddddd no.

Unless you’re a very strong applicant or have strong ties to Tulane then I’d save your money.
I mean even then, there's still no guarantee they will even make it to your application. This is just the nature of low yield schools. They're one of 3 I applied to and I'm well above the median stats for all 3 and they're the only interview I've received of the 3...granted, it may just be that the other two schools think my application is garbage lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete and under review email today. Secondary received 7/13, submitted 7/28. OOS.

Kinda unrelated...what makes Tulane get so many apps? Middle of the road stats in a fun city?

Reactions: 3 users
Kinda unrelated...what makes Tulane get so many apps? Middle of the road stats in a fun city?
They also have a well-respected name and are the second oldest medical school in the South. Add all that together and it makes sense.

has anyone interviewed here already that could tell me a little more about how interview day works? Their email was a little vague with the number of interviews and if there is still the patient interactive portion

has anyone who completed the first week of august received a green checkmark yet?

Submitted a primary on Monday then decided not to complete the secondary because of this thread and the great amount of interview invites that went out days later. Hopefully I'll get into another school this cycle and won't have to worry about reapplying next year, but should I be concerned that now I'm considered a reapplicant to Tulane? Really annoyed with myself for even adding them to my list so late...wishful thinking I guess.

Submitted a primary on Monday then decided not to complete the secondary because of this thread and the great amount of interview invites that went out days later. Hopefully I'll get into another school this cycle and won't have to worry about reapplying next year, but should I be concerned that now I'm considered a reapplicant to Tulane? Really annoyed with myself for even adding them to my list so late...wishful thinking I guess.
No, don't be concerned. First of all, you may get into at other schools so don't even worry about that yet. Secondly, being a reapplicant is not a bad thing at all. I'm a reapplicant and I have several IIs (including here) bc my application is much stronger this time around. Nothing to be worried about.

It's pretty disheartening to hear all this as I only just got verified. The pool of schools I can apply to is extremely small so I'll be shooting my shot anyways.

That MCAT coronavirus cancellation and rebooking just keeps on giving, awe well.

Maybe they just have one reviewer who's super slow and they're saving interview spots for when they finally go through their applications? One can only hope...

• Haha
  • Wow
Maybe they just have one reviewer who's super slow and they're saving interview spots for when they finally go through their applications? One can only hope...
As someone without any interviews, that's what I keep telling myself: all the reviewers who have my app at each school are just really slow. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone interviewed yet? Could you please describe how it went? Like how was it structured?

Right, like I'm honestly saying this because I truly would not waste my money on Tulane if I were just now submitting. The odds are just not in your favor at all at this stage. There are other schools who could be applied to right now with very little to no disadvantages (wrt timing). Tulane is certainly not one of them.

do you know which schools fit that description?

Ay just got the “Hold for Possible Interview” email, at least Tulane didn’t outright reject me like last year.

I'm literally still in progress and I submitted 8/6 lmao

Reactions: 6 users
Was just checking my Tulane portal to see the status of my application and was confused to see the red sign next to In Progress because I remember getting an Under Review email literally a day after I submitted my secondary. Well, turns out they sent that by mistake and sent me a follow up email saying I was not under review and the committee was not looking at my application.

Tulane really out here playing with my feelings.

• Sad
verified on Sep12 but still not get secondary. Should I ask the admission office?

Will we get an email when our "in progress" changes from a red exclamation to a green check?

Under review

Submitted my secondary on 7/28

Hi everyone! I went a little overboard and wanted to better visualize the data from this thread. I marked down all of the info from those who posted about when they were Complete, Under Review, and received Decisions + their stats and made some graphs. I wanted to share them in case this helps anyone else. Let me know if you'd like me to do any other analyses or graphs.

Attachments

• Time to Under Review.png
    Time to Under Review.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 393
  • Decision Dates.png
    Decision Dates.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 363
Reactions: 14 users
just got placed on hold :( good luck everyone

edit: OOS, secondary submitted 7/21, under review since 8/10

Is a hold only an email or a status change on the portal as well?

So is being placed on hold for an interview essentially a rejection? Has anyone looked in past year threads and seen how the holds play out for people?

is it still worth applying here? i think i have a pretty strong app for this school, but obviously i am really late. and many on here have seemed to echo that tulane puts lots of emphasis on early applicants.

do most people's secondaries come automatically? i have been waiting for about a week now and still have not gotten anything from tulane (not in spam). should i contact them?

is it still worth applying here? i think i have a pretty strong app for this school, but obviously i am really late. and many on here have seemed to echo that tulane puts lots of emphasis on early applicants.

do most people's secondaries come automatically? i have been waiting for about a week now and still have not gotten anything from tulane (not in spam). should i contact them?
I’d save your $

I reached out when I hadn't received mine after a few weeks. They sent the secondary right after my email, so you might need to send an email.

So is being placed on hold for an interview essentially a rejection? Has anyone looked in past year threads and seen how the holds play out for people?

I'd err towards a hold being a soft R with possibly very few getting off and getting an II. With this year having virtual interviews, the number of people who cancel their interviews probably will be lower though so I'm guessing the number who get off are gonna be even less. Not necessarily terrible given that you weren't rejected from such a deep applicant pool!

has anyone interviewed here already that could tell me a little more about how interview day works? Their email was a little vague with the number of interviews and if there is still the patient interactive portion
Wondering the same thing! I'm interviewing next week and have no idea how I'll prep if there's a virtual patient portion

Just reposting what I posted before earlier in this thread:

Pros:
1. To quote Michael Scott, you miss 100% of shots you don't take.
2. Since you already have the secondary typed out and ready to go, why not send it (if not, your time could be better spent elsewhere).
3. Medical school is competitive, so better to not put all your eggs in 1 basket.

Cons:
1. Secondary fees will creep up and become very expensive.
2. If you delay submitting, you will push back your application review even more. With time ticking, it'll be in your best favor to decide soon.

Hope this helps. You know your situation best. Whatever you decide, good luck and remain positive during this neurotic time.

It's hard to say. If you are willing to spend $130 to compete for one of the remaining interview slots in February, then go for it!
Yes you should contact them for a secondary. That's what I did in July after waiting for a couple weeks.