2020-2021 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any MSTP applicants know if it negatively impacts our application to do both MD/MSTP?

Members don't see this ad.

Any MSTP applicants know if it negatively impacts our application to do both MD/MSTP?

I think the general consensus is to indicate just MD/PhD if you want to be safe. Nobody will knock you for just indicating MD/PhD but some people could view choosing MD/MSTP as a lack of commitment to MD/PhD. I have no idea how much it actually matters though.

I think the general consensus is to indicate just MD/PhD if you want to be safe. Nobody will knock you for just indicating MD/PhD but some people could view choosing MD/MSTP as a lack of commitment to MD/PhD. I have no idea how much it actually matters though.

Thanks for the reply! That's my impression as well. I've only done MSTP for the rest of my apps, but given the ability to potentially transfer in after a year I thought it might be worthwhile to check the box if it didn't hurt otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I was wondering about this too, but the vibe I got from their FAQ was that it's kinda whatever and really your own decision. I would also say it depends on your research area--I really need the MD for my area so it makes sense to choose MD/MSTP, but someone else who can have just as flourishing of a career with only the PhD may be more comfortable doing MSTP only.

If UCSF decides not to send an applicant a secondary, when do they notify the applicant? (Sorry if this is a silly question; I've never applied to a school that screens people for secondaries to this degree, so I'm unfamiliar with the process.)

Anyone transmitted 7/10 still waiting for a secondary? LM 76.4 WARS 85, and nothing. Hope there's not some massive red flag on my application that I overlooked. :/

Is it a big deal if I submit my secondary past the two week deadline? I could have sworn the text read four weeks at first and it didn't help that I sprained my wrist the day I received it (only now starting to recover).

It'll be one day late.

Is it a big deal if I submit my secondary past the two week deadline? I could have sworn the text read four weeks at first and it didn't help that I sprained my wrist the day I received it (only now starting to recover).

It'll be one day late.
Can't see how you wouldn't be fine! I doubt they're examining everything that closely

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I fit the mission of PRIME, but I am not sure that I want to commit to a fifth year of getting a masters. I was just hoping for a medical education that allowed me the flexibility to focus on serving urban underserved populations. If I apply to PRIME and hypothetically were selected for it, would I have the option of opting out to pursue the MD track only. If I know that I have the flexibility to pursue those interests (even if to a lesser extent) in the MD track, then that may be the better option. Anyone else making the same considerations and would like to weigh in on this?

I feel like I fit the mission of PRIME, but I am not sure that I want to commit to a fifth year of getting a masters. I was just hoping for a medical education that allowed me the flexibility to focus on serving urban underserved populations. If I apply to PRIME and hypothetically were selected for it, would I have the option of opting out to pursue the MD track only. If I know that I have the flexibility to pursue those interests (even if to a lesser extent) in the MD track, then that may be the better option. Anyone else making the same considerations and would like to weigh in on this?
Yes I emailed them about this. I emailed them like "I'm unsure about PRIME but I like it, what should I do" and they were like "If in doubt, apply anyway, and then you can opt out into regular MD." On their website it also says you don't need to do a Master's, which is pretty unique for a UC PRIME program

Reactions: 2 users
I went back and checked my secondary invite email as I remembered it being 4 weeks too. Anyway, it definitely said 4 weeks so that's probably why you were thinking you had that long. Given that they emailed saying 4 weeks is ok (even though the portal says 2), I can't imagine it would be a problem if you do 2 weeks and a day. If you're worried, you can always call the office though.
I emailed the Office of Admissions (because mini heart attack since I would've been over the 2-week deadline) and apparently they updated secondaries sent after 9/1 to have a 2-week deadline. Unfortunately, this updated the portal for everyone who received a secondary so far. If you received a secondary before 9/1, then you have 4 weeks to turn it in!

It'll be one day late.
If you received a secondary before 9/1, then you have 4 weeks from receiving the invitation to submit!

Yes I emailed them about this. I emailed them like "I'm unsure about PRIME but I like it, what should I do" and they were like "If in doubt, apply anyway, and then you can opt out into regular MD." On their website it also says you don't need to do a Master's, which is pretty unique for a UC PRIME program
This is such a helpful response. Thanks for sharing that. Sounds like I will apply anyways haha

Also, I am slightly confused by the wording of the ethical and legal standards section. If I reported my IA on my primary, do I have to re-report it on the secondary, or are they asking people to report it only if they did not report it on the primary?

Added UCSF on AMCAS on August 25 so I guess I am in for a looooong wait

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else transmitted in July and still not have a secondary?

Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone who has already received a secondary and is applying to PRIME-US post the prompts? Thanks!

These are the PRIME-US specific essays, which are in addition to the regular MD essays on activities and gap year:

"Please describe your commitment to working with the urban underserved, highlighting experiences with underserved communities and community-based work. Be sure to mention any leadership and/or team-member roles you’ve played." (500 words)

"PRIME-US requires a commitment above and beyond the regular medical school curriculum. You will be expected to spend time participating in small group activities and engaging with underserved communities in the Bay Area. Please answer the following questions:"

"How will you balance PRIME-US with your academic responsibilities and personal life?" (250 words)

"What will you bring to PRIME-US?" (250 words)

"What do you hope to get out of PRIME-US?" (250 words)
Thank you!!!!!

Secondary just received. Pleasantly surprised.
No ties to the Bay Area. CA ORM. LizzyM 70.
Turned in my primaries on 7/23

same here. i emailed them and they said there's no set end date for when secondaries stop being sent, but it typically is sometime in Dec

Yep. I also think they have the toughest pre-secondary screen.

I think they have the longest response time, but I find it hard to believe they have a tough screen if they end up giving 2/3 of applicants secondaries. This is in line with most screens, and doesn't really narrow the pool.

Reactions: 1 users
Just received II (didn't expect to hear from them so quickly!)

Reactions: 16 users
Thank you!! I don't know exactly when my primary was verified but it was before 7/10, received secondary invite on 8/5, and completed secondary on 8/7!

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you!! I don't know exactly when my primary was verified but it was before 7/10, received secondary invite on 8/5, and completed secondary on 8/7!
Do you mind sharing your stats or LM score?

Congrats! When are they doing the interviews?
Ty! I already selected a date so can't see other dates now. There was one in this month and couple more (3?) in October.

Just received my secondary. Transmitted 7/24. OOS. ORM LizzyM 80. I was losing hope, but looks like they're still sending them out. Hang in there!

Just received my secondary. Transmitted 7/24. OOS. ORM LizzyM 80. I was losing hope, but looks like they're still sending them out. Hang in there!

Also just received secondary. 6:43 PM PST. Transmitted 7/28.

Going to try to submit it tomorrow but definitely don't have high hopes for this school haha. Hopefully this means that top schools are willing to look my way though.

Just received my secondary, OOS, transmitted 7/26

I have a committee letter and a letter from the hospital I worked at, does anyone know if that's sufficient or if I should try to get a third letter quickly? The website just says 3-5 letters, but it seems unusual to count a committee letter as just one letter.

Do they email letting us know if we didn't pass the screen? Is there a typical timeline to hear that email or is it usually towards the end of the cycle?

gettin lil ancy

Do they email letting us know if we didn't pass the screen? Is there a typical timeline to hear that email or is it usually towards the end of the cycle?

gettin lil ancy
It can be a long screen - I think they said up to 10 weeks? I was transmitted 7/10 and didn't receive a secondary till 8/3. I'm a reapplicant and hadn't received a secondary the first time -- they sent me a notice mid November that cycle.

It can be a long screen - I think they said up to 10 weeks? I was transmitted 7/10 and didn't receive a secondary till 8/3. I'm a reapplicant and hadn't received a secondary the first time -- they sent me a notice mid November that cycle.

good luck this time around :) thanks for the super helpful answer!

• Care