2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To people who have interviewed already, how many people were there during your interview?
40 for mine

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
any advice for interviews? i have mine coming up this week and i am n e r v o u s

The interviews this year are SUPER low key. Just try and relax and have a conversation with your interviewer and you'll be good! Also, they make it easy to get to know some of the other folks you're interviewing with it that helps to ease the nerves.

anyone else not able to access their secondary portal right now? I thought it was a wifi issue but it won't load even on my phone through data :/

anyone else not able to access their secondary portal right now? I thought it was a wifi issue but it won't load even on my phone through data :/
Yeah it seems to be really slow/not loading. Maybe it's under maintenance?

surprisingly wayyy less people at this brown bag event than previous ones, wonder if they sent out post II rejections or people just forgot

surprisingly wayyy less people at this brown bag event than previous ones, wonder if they sent out post II rejections or people just forgot
Could be a combination of early morning, people distracted by the election, more Rs going out, Zoom fatigue, school work , etc...

I find their Brown Bag events very informative, unfortunately I could not make it to this one.

Had work. Tbh, I overextended myself to attend the last one and felt that I didn't get as much out of the session as I hoped. By wayyy less, do you mean like less than 100 people as opposed to 250+ that attended last session?

Members don't see this ad :)
Had work. Tbh, I overextended myself to attend the last one and felt that I didn't get as much out of the session as I hoped. By wayyy less, do you mean like less than 100 people as opposed to 250+ that attended last session?

TBH for me it feels hard to commit extra time to brown bag sessions when the probability of me actually being able to use this information is low. I feel this for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It wasn't that much less. Around 180+ or so

Are the Brown Bag Seminars for all applicants or just those with II's?

Also they had like 20 staff faculty on there this time like all the EDI faculty and mentor faculty members for the different U-C-L-A groups so the number of applicant was around ~160
Was responding to the comment asking if it was less than 100 in saying "wasn't that much less." I do think there's a variety of reasons people may not have made it though and didn't think too much about it.

Are any of these sessions recorded? I cannot make them because I work full time..

Yes they are all recorded and sent in emails that can be accessed through your personal email or communications tab in the portal.

Just received a PRIME-LA II! Complete 8/1. Elated!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
how soon after we received ll invite should we get the links to brown bag? I got invite last week but haven't received any info on brown bag

Still waiting post-II. How have ppl been doing with getting other interviews btw? I know it's "slow" this cycle but it's been hard to tell if it's still "early" or if it might be time to worry. Obv no one knows the answer but just wondering if anyone else feels similarly

Reactions: 4 users
Waiting post-II here too. So far this was my only interview, and I received it about 1.5 months ago so I'm kinda worried too. You are definitely not the only one worrying!

Reactions: 4 users
Still waiting post-II. How have ppl been doing with getting other interviews btw? I know it's "slow" this cycle but it's been hard to tell if it's still "early" or if it might be time to worry. Obv no one knows the answer but just wondering if anyone else feels similarly
I def dont think we are still early but probably more or less halfway depending on the school. It does seem as if there is a lull in II, which makes sense for schools to determine who gets those near Thanksgiving decisions.

Does anyone know what UCLA's policies are on post II update letters/LOIs? I couldn't find anything online.

im pretty sure their secondary deadlines have past... no one should be receiving them anymore.

The office said as long as you were in the window for the primary, they would still be sending them. The pandemic put them really behind they said. Just curious if anyone has though :pompous:

I assume they’re done sending out interviews? :(
On their website, it says until Dec! I think they added the extra month for buffer but the rest of Nov seems to still be a solid month to get an II. IIs kind of were done by this time last year but even the admissions office said they were running behind so I wouldnt take yourself out of the running yet

Nothing yet :( Interviewed Aug 31. Don't know when I should start to worry it's been 2.5 months

i spent a lot of time going through the thread from last year and people from August were still hearing back as late as February.

also general PSA: I called admissions last week to ask about admissions decisions and when they should be released and they said Wednesday and Thursday’s are usually the days news will come out ( I believe this is true because shortly after someone reported an A on here last Thursday I think). They also said the portal is the best resource but considering the fact that people are getting emails I don’t know how true that is (maybe for other admissions decisions I.e WL or R)

Reactions: 9 users
On their website, it says until Dec! I think they added the extra month for buffer but the rest of Nov seems to still be a solid month to get an II. IIs kind of were done by this time last year but even the admissions office said they were running behind so I wouldnt take yourself out of the running yet
Yeah, that’s why I was wondering, because they were done with sending interview invites by this time last year :( But, I hope they’re still running behind and there’s some movement this month for those of us waiting for an interview here. Thanks for the feedback!

i spent a lot of time going through the thread from last year and people from August were still hearing back as late as February.

also general PSA: I called admissions last week to ask about admissions decisions and when they should be released and they said Wednesday and Thursday’s are usually the days news will come out ( I believe this is true because shortly after someone reported an A on here last Thursday I think). They also said the portal is the best resource but considering the fact that people are getting emails I don’t know how true that is (maybe for other admissions decisions I.e WL or R)

They didn’t mention any dates I’m guessing?

I know SDN has lower reported than actual, but this thread compared to other schools (Keck for instance) makes me think that very few As have been released

Yeah I got mine on a Thursday. First round also came out on Thursday.

I know SDN has lower reported than actual, but this thread compared to other schools (Keck for instance) makes me think that very few As have been released

There have only been 4 reported As on here I think- so that leads me to believe there are very few As at the moment.

Yeah I got mine on a Thursday. First round also came out on Thursday.

that’s what I thought! Congrats! You posted like 2 hours after I talked to admissions and I was like thinking “well maybe my phone call helped someone today”

that’s what I thought! Congrats! You posted like 2 hours after I talked to admissions and I was like thinking “well maybe my phone call helped someone today”

Haha thank you for the manifest :happy: sending it right back!

• Care
Does anyone mind sharing approximately how long their 1-on-1 interviews were?