2020-2021 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would airborne school be a possibility for a USUHS student who commissions into the Navy, or is the Army my only shot?

It's happened. SOEs are on hold right now for COVID. We'll see if they go off this summer. But the year before my SOE, a Navy student did airborne school.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a word of warning it varies year by year however. For example last year I was on hold then moved to the waitlist but ultimately did not get accepted.

Yeah, "lots" sort of depends on your perspective. My year, maybe half a dozen or fewer got off the hold list. I can think of 3 off the top of my head, but I'm sure a few more did too.

Reactions: 1 user
Would airborne school be a possibility for a USUHS student who commissions into the Navy, or is the Army my only shot?
You want to challenge yourself try to get into Expert Field Medical Badge (EFMB) testing. It would likely be Permissive TDY rather than funded but others at USUHS from Navy have participated. https://medcoe.army.mil/efmb

Members don't see this ad :)
Been following this thread for a while! Got put on pre-II hold in Nov, and it seems like it's most likely an R at this point, so gonna start preparing for re-application. I have a passion for military medicine so this is a natural choice for me but I think I applied a bit too late for this cycle (end of August). Thanks again for all the help everyone and I hope to see you all one day!!!

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Been following this thread for a while! Got put on pre-II hold in Nov, and it seems like it's most likely an R at this point, so gonna start preparing for re-application. I have a passion for military medicine so this is a natural choice for me but I think I applied a bit too late for this cycle (end of August). Thanks again for all the help everyone and I hope to see you all one day!!!
I'm taking the hint from USU at this point, it's a bummer because it's my dream school, but I'm very excited to make my way back to the military with HPSP. Anyone else pursuing HPSP?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm taking the hint from USU at this point, it's a bummer because it's my dream school, but I'm very excited to make my way back to the military with HPSP. Anyone else pursuing HPSP?
🙋‍♀️ I am. Packet is due soon for April boards. Have you been awarded the scholarship yet or still waiting?

Reactions: 1 users
I am! Just heard back last week that I got the scholarship!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
🙋‍♀️ I am. Packet is due soon for April boards. Have you been awarded the scholarship yet or still waiting?
Rad! I'm waiting to submit too, there was a miscommunication between myself and my assignments team so I thought I was already accepted back in November... turns out not yet.

I am, I also need to fill out the documents for the April boards. If not USU, I'll see you guys in HPSP!

Rad! I'm waiting to submit too, there was a miscommunication between myself and my assignments team so I thought I was already accepted back in November... turns out not yet.
Dang! Hope it gets worked out soon

lol side note just did the MEPS physical recently... so I'm on the bend over x2 now!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this was already asked (it seems like I've missed a lot of posts lol) - is there an admitted students facebook page yet?

Received unconditional acceptance on 02/05, selected for US Army. Really excited to attend this fall. I hope all of the applicants on this page who applied here and were WL or placed on hold got an acceptance for the HPSP at a civilian med school (most military physicians pursue this route- most BAMC residents are not USUHS alumni for example). This might sound ridiculous to those with prior service experience, but how is the ACFT used at AMEDD DCC in Fort Sill? Let's say you were to choose USUHS SOM over a civilian med school/HPSP, and by June 2021 you are bound for USUHS SOM, what happens if you fail the ACFT? Are you stripped of your acceptance? Once again I'm not worried because I've been exercising with a personal trainer and I am at a healthy weight, but it's a question I've always had but too afraid to ask during info sessions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Received unconditional acceptance on 02/05, selected for US Army. Really excited to attend this fall. I hope all of the applicants on this page who applied here and were WL or placed on hold got an acceptance for the HPSP at a civilian med school (most military physicians pursue this route- most BAMC residents are not USUHS alumni for example). This might sound ridiculous to those with prior service experience, but how is the ACFT used at AMEDD DCC in Fort Sill? Let's say you were to choose USUHS SOM over a civilian med school/HPSP, and by June 2021 you are bound for USUHS SOM, what happens if you fail the ACFT? Are you stripped of your acceptance? Once again I'm not worried because I've been exercising with a personal trainer and I am at a healthy weight, but it's a question I've always had but too afraid to ask during info sessions.
Luckily for us, apparently the ACFT is still in a testing/implementation period so there's no penalty for failing (from what I understand). I spoke with a current Army student who explained that to me.

• Love
When did you interview?

Sorry if this was already asked (it seems like I've missed a lot of posts lol) - is there an admitted students facebook page yet?

Not yet, hoping for one soon!

Sidenote... just noticed your name, are you a triathlete?

what school did you get accepted to

Not yet, hoping for one soon!

Sidenote... just noticed your name, are you a triathlete?
Haha only for fun (and only sprint tris lol)!! I was a swimmer up through college so it was an easyish transition

Haha only for fun (and only sprint tris lol)!! I was a swimmer up through college so it was an easyish transition

Awesome, same here! I was a runner in high school, turned (sprint) triathlete in college, and now I just stick to cycling (couldn’t stand swimming lol) I’m looking forward to checking out the cycling scene around Bethesda/DC area

Awesome, same here! I was a runner in high school, turned (sprint) triathlete in college, and now I just stick to cycling (couldn’t stand swimming lol) I’m looking forward to checking out the cycling scene around Bethesda/DC area
Same here!!

Reactions: 2 users
I've only interviewed so... if that's any consolation
I've been in pre-II hold purgatory soooo...

*proceeds to sign up for One Punch Man training regimen and the nearest triathlon*

I received a conditional acceptance today (2/18), interviewed week of 7-11 December. That's 10 weeks for those of you counting the days like I was.
Acceptance was for Army.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I received an email today saying i was deemed medically qualified for the USU program but have been identified as exceeding the weight standard and that i must be either reweighed or undergo BCT test to qualify for an unconditional offer and that i must do this and submit a form within 10 business days.

has anyone else received something like this?

I received an email today saying i was deemed medically qualified for the USU program but have been identified as exceeding the weight standard and that i must be either reweighed or undergo BCT test to qualify for an unconditional offer and that i must do this and submit a form within 10 business days.

When did you do your physical?

This is common...everyone has to meet the current Army Height/Weight standards (Google it) and of you exceed the weight limit for your height, you’ll have to undergo a waist and neck measurement to determine if your BMI is within the Army limits. If so, than you’ll move forward.

You can go to a local army recruiter and tell them you need to get measured for USU. They will tape your neck and waist, get your weight and that is it. You need to be below 24% body fat percentage to get accepted unconditionally. Anything higher WILL NOT be allowed for acceptance into the school

so if i’m only like 5 ish lbs over the weight maximum then i should still pass the BCT test then right?

trying to determine if i should just go get the BCT test done as soon as possible or give myself a few days to cut below the weight cutoff (195 for me when i currently sit at 196 as of this morning)

so if i’m only like 5 ish lbs over the weight maximum then i should still pass the BCT test then right?

trying to determine if i should just go get the BCT test done as soon as possible or give myself a few days to cut below the weight cutoff (195 for me when i currently sit at 196 as of this morning)
Honestly...go get yourself a tape and measure yourself before going to get the real deal test done to make sure you’re good to go. You can Google very accurate calculators for the Army H/W.

I just received a welcome email from Dr. Liotta to the Class of 2025. Not sure if everyone with an acceptance received it at the same time, but he mentions that a FB group has been created for the class and there is a link to request access to the group, so you haven’t received the email yet...BOLO.

Reactions: 5 users
I received a conditional acceptance today (2/18), interviewed week of 7-11 December. That's 10 weeks for those of you counting the days like I was.
Acceptance was for Army.
I thought people were pretty much only getting waitlisted, on hold, or rejected at this point in the cycle until the class opened up? I guess not.

I thought people were pretty much only getting waitlisted, on hold, or rejected at this point in the cycle until the class opened up? I guess not.
At one of the Thursday meetings earlier this year (Late January or Early February, can't remember) Dr. Liotta mentioned they had only filled half the class. You may have seen Matthew's message earlier in the thread where they mention that USUHS cannot offer more acceptances than they have seats for and this year they have been more sparse than most. When Dr. Liotta said the class was only half full he also mentioned that around that time the class would usually be 80% full.

The class also won't start opening up until at least mid-late April when people have to pare down their acceptances. (Nobody has officially said this to me, but it is what I am inferring from last year's cycle. If anyone knows better or can correct me please chime in!)

At one of the Thursday meetings earlier this year (Late January or Early February, can't remember) Dr. Liotta mentioned they had only filled half the class. You may have seen Matthew's message earlier in the thread where they mention that USUHS cannot offer more acceptances than they have seats for and this year they have been more sparse than most. When Dr. Liotta said the class was only half full he also mentioned that around that time the class would usually be 80% full.

The class also won't start opening up until at least mid-late April when people have to pare down their acceptances. (Nobody has officially said this to me, but it is what I am inferring from last year's cycle. If anyone knows better or can correct me please chime in!)

Well eventually I'll have to send updates again

I just received a welcome email from Dr. Liotta to the Class of 2025. Not sure if everyone with an acceptance received it at the same time, but he mentions that a FB group has been created for the class and there is a link to request access to the group, so you haven’t received the email yet...BOLO.

Pretty bummed second look is going to be virtual but not really surprised... at least we got the FB page up and running though! Looking forward to starting to meet my future classmates!

itsbritneywitch is correct: CAPT Liotta said that even for the very last people interviewing there would still be acceptances available for the outstanding candidates among them - they won't just be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
itsbritneywitch is correct: CAPT Liotta said that even for the very last people interviewing there would still be acceptances available for the outstanding candidates among them - they won't just be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist.

This is true every year. In my year the class was filled up in the beginning of November and we still had people getting acceptances out of the gate after that because there are always a revolving door of like 5-10 people getting in and getting disqualified or dropping.

As I’ve said a few times now, everyone is interviewing for an acceptance no matter when you interview.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users