2020-2021 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What happens if we can't pass the 2mile run?

I'm able to max everything else on the ACFT but run a horrendous 21 minute 2MR (and I've been training that for over a year now). Would someone get their acceptance revoked for not passing the ACFT? Obviously going to continue to train, but my powerlifting background is working against me in this one event and it's quite frustrating

Are you evening paced across the 2 miles or running the first mile substantially faster than the 2nd. It helps to try and even/negative split. That is make sure the first mile is slower than the 2nd or have them both be paced the same.

A lot of people who aren't used to running typically go out really hard and blow past their lactic threshold and end up suffering the last bit of the run. Try not to do this.

I'd definitely recommend running more often starting with ~10 miles a week and work your way up to 15-20 miles/week. Run like 2 miles/day, 5 days/week and build that up to 3-4 miles/day over the course of 2-3 weeks will help you out substantially.

Try not to redline it most of your runs (heartrate > 170 BPM, super tempting to do this for people who don't run much). The majority (80-90%) of your runs should be really easy (relatively no effort, can hold a conversation). Then you should do a single tempo run a week (20 min run at about 160 BPM heart rate, right now this is just your ACFT run).

I don't recommend jumping into speed work because as a lifter you already have explosive power, so you don't really need to focus on sprinting. A 2-mile run is also more aerobic than anaerobic so your issue is there. If you really want to do faster stuff, find a track and do 4x 800ms (2 times around a 400m track), and aim for 4:30 per 800m (maybe try that around week 3 once you're at 15-20 miles per week).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you evening paced across the 2 miles or running the first mile substantially faster than the 2nd. It helps to try and even/negative split. That is make sure the first mile is slower than the 2nd or have them both be paced the same.

A lot of people who aren't used to running typically go out really hard and blow past their lactic threshold and end up suffering the last bit of the run. Try not to do this.

I'd definitely recommend running more often starting with ~10 miles a week and work your way up to 15-20 miles/week. Run like 2 miles/day, 5 days/week and build that up to 3-4 miles/day over the course of 2-3 weeks will help you out substantially.

Try not to redline it most of your runs (heartrate > 170 BPM, super tempting to do this for people who don't run much). The majority (80-90%) of your runs should be really easy (relatively no effort, can hold a conversation). Then you should do a single tempo run a week (20 min run at about 160 BPM heart rate, right now this is just your ACFT run).

I don't recommend jumping into speed work because as a lifter you already have explosive power, so you don't really need to focus on sprinting. A 2-mile run is also more aerobic than anaerobic so your issue is there. If you really want to do faster stuff, find a track and do 4x 800ms (2 times around a 400m track), and aim for 4:30 per 800m (maybe try that around week 3 once you're at 15-20 miles per week).
You're a legend. Just went on a midnight run in the rain to try your pacing idea -- shaved my 2MR down from 21:00 to 19:53. Not good enough for the APFT but at least it would pass for the ACFT. I'm confident I'll get faster over time. Still, I want to plan for a worst-case scenario where I regress and can't run it fast enough at DCC/BOLC.

I read that if you don't pass the ACFT, you get to do remedial PT every morning but they won't revoke your acceptance or kick you out if you don't pass the ACFT or APFT. Is that still accurate?

You're a legend. Just went on a midnight run in the rain to try your pacing idea -- shaved my 2MR down from 21:00 to 19:53. Not good enough for the APFT but at least it would pass for the ACFT. I'm confident I'll get faster over time. Still, I want to plan for a worst-case scenario where I regress and can't run it fast enough at DCC/BOLC.

I read that if you don't pass the ACFT, you get to do remedial PT every morning but they won't revoke your acceptance or kick you out if you don't pass the ACFT or APFT. Is that still accurate?

Awesome! yeah definitely keep it up. You make gains really fast when you're just starting out. Consistency is key, so start with 10 miles per week (please take your rest days, probably on like Wednesday & Sunday). Then work your way up to 20 miles over the next 4-5 weeks before DCC (If you're going in July, I'll see ya there!). Don't ramp up more than 10% a week or you'll get set back by shin splints.

Members don't see this ad :)
What happens if we can't pass the 2mile run?

I'm able to max everything else on the ACFT but run a horrendous 21 minute 2MR (and I've been training that for over a year now). Would someone get their acceptance revoked for not passing the ACFT? Obviously going to continue to train, but my powerlifting background is working against me in this one event and it's quite frustrating
The ACFT is not required until at least next year. The current guidance from the SMA (Sergeant Major of the Army) is that you SHOULD be able to pass an ACFT but they can't do any negative actions against you if you fail right now.

Reactions: 2 users
The ACFT is not required until at least next year. The current guidance from the SMA (Sergeant Major of the Army) is that you SHOULD be able to pass an ACFT but they can't do any negative actions against you if you fail right now.
To explain further, from Army Combat Fitness Test:
"NOW - MARCH 31, 2022
No adverse administrative actions will be taken Against a Soldier based on failing the ACFT; Army will publish updated ACFT personnel policy guidance."
Active Army will take 2 ACFTs in 2021 so they can use all the data to determine if they are going to change the scoring standards starting in 2022.

Reactions: 1 user
Really starting to lose hope. No movement on SDN in over a week. Trying to keep fingers crossed! Has anyone heard anything?

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Really starting to lose hope. No movement on SDN in over a week. Trying to keep fingers crossed! Has anyone heard anything?

CAPT Liotta says you still got a shot until the 1st week of June.

I feel like definitely consider other options if you can, else be prepared to reapply (don't do what I did and scramble to get all my stuff in ~June, at least get the ball rolling on AAMC verification if you need to).

Around the 1st week of June is when you should reach out for advice/feedback.

Yeah I am as well. At this point if it happens it happens. If not then hopefully I’ll see some of y’all when I reapply in a few years

• Care
CAPT Liotta says you still got a shot until the 1st week of June.

I feel like definitely consider other options if you can, else be prepared to reapply (don't do what I did and scramble to get all my stuff in ~June, at least get the ball rolling on AAMC verification if you need to).

Around the 1st week of June is when you should reach out for advice/feedback.
Yeah I’m kind of in a lul right now. I can commission HPSP today if I wanted to, but certainly would much rather go to USUHS. I would rather get rejected so I could move on with my life lol

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I’m kind of in a lul right now. I can commission HPSP today if I wanted to, but certainly would much rather go to USUHS. I would rather get rejected so I could move on with my life lol

You can definitely send a letter of intent and let them know!

Don't lose hope yet! I got a call this afternoon for my acceptance (Army) so they are still coming.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
It's not over until it's over. We're in this boat together. Plus, there are probably some lurkers and non-SDN'ers hearing back

Last edited:
  • Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lose hope yet! I got a call this afternoon for my acceptance (Army) so they are still coming.
It's great to hear some acceptances are still being extended! I can also commission with HPSP rn but I definitely am holding out for USUHS until early June so I'm crossing my fingers and praying alongside everyone here!

Hang in there everyone! I'm hoping to see you all in Bethesda come August !

Reactions: 5 users
Ugh, this is nerve-racking and disappointing, waitlisted Jan 21, ranked Army 1st. Still waiting on final decision at this time.

• Care
Waitlisted 11/5 and ranked Navy as my #1. Hoping my wait ends soon!

I'm passing the luck on to someone else. I've committed to enroll elsewhere and I hope one of y'all gets the call soon! Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted to AF recently. Can someone fill me in on any information they have received about COT? Officer Training School
Based on this site, the next class is from July to September. Does that mean we'll have to do COT at a later date since we have to be at USUHS in August?
Edit: based on old threads, I think I should be looking at the 5 week courses towards the bottom of the page. Looks like it'll be from July until August 6th

Did they specifically say Navy spots are done pulling from the waitlist?

If someone withdraws, they will pull another person from the waitlist. It can literally happen any time until school starts in august. It’s frustrating to know you could spend a bunch of money in June to reapply only to get accepted in July, but I’ve seen it happen.

Accepted to AF recently. Can someone fill me in on any information they have received about COT? Officer Training School
Based on this site, the next class is from July to September. Does that mean we'll have to do COT at a later date since we have to be at USUHS in August?

Most likely. You can miss some of orientation if necessary (usually some army people do this), but you can’t miss any of foundations.

Most likely. You can miss some of orientation if necessary (usually some army people do this), but you can’t miss any of foundations.
Thanks for your help as always.

Can you confirm if I should be looking at 5 week vs 8 week?

Any advice for arranging logistics for moving to Bethesda given that COT is from July to August?

Thanks for your help as always.

Can you confirm if I should be looking at 5 week vs 8 week?

Any advice for arranging logistics for moving to Bethesda given that COT is from July to August?

I'm Navy, but AFAIK, all my AF classmates did 5 weeks of COT. Also I'm not sure if the AF works this way, but for Navy we got new accession orders which entitled us to a PCS move. Part of orientation involves some built in time to receive HHG and stuff.

I received my admissions decision over the phone and not by email. I assume this was because I ranked PHS first.

Edit: based on old threads, I think I should be looking at the 5 week courses towards the bottom of the page. Looks like it'll be from July until August 6th
Congrats on your acceptance! Is it common for USUHS to give offers for a branch you did not rank first?

Congrats on your acceptance! Is it common for USUHS to give offers for a branch you did not rank first?
For reference, I ranked PHS first. I was also offered a seat for Army but am ultimately accepting an Air Force seat.

Does anyone know what the process of moving our personal things (+car) to Bethesda is like? For AF, OTS is June-July 24th and then we have to report to USU immediately after (so not enough time for me to fly back to California and drive over etc...). It seems like they pay for all my stuff to get shipped, but there are no instructions on how it is handled.

Can any current students speak to this?
@Matthew9Thirtyfive

Does anyone know what the process of moving our personal things (+car) to Bethesda is like? For AF, OTS is June-July 24th and then we have to report to USU immediately after (so not enough time for me to fly back to California and drive over etc...). It seems like they pay for all my stuff to get shipped, but there are no instructions on how it is handled.

Can any current students speak to this?
@Matthew9Thirtyfive

I think CAPT Liotta mentioned that I you don't have a place in Bethesda yet they'll hold everything in a storage container for you while you look for a place. Then you'll have a set amount of time to find a place in Bethesda while they pay for lodging (you have some money for a hotel), then they move everything into your new place once you've found it.

I'm also kind of confused about how all the timelines work especially if we have a later DCC and miss some of orientation. Maybe we have to report to Bethesda earlier then in June before going to officer training?

Hello! I am still holding out hope for waitlist movement, but I have an acceptance at another school and will have to commit in a couple of weeks. Do you think I should contact Dr. Liotta and ask if I can hold out hope or not?

Last edited:
Hello! I am still holding out hope for waitlist movement, but I have an acceptance at another school and will have to commit in a couple of weeks. Do you think I should contact Dr. Liotta and ask if I can hold out hope or not?

Send a letter of intent!

Send a letter of intent!

Thank you for the reply! I did that in April, and have sent an update to my admissions counselor this month with a statement of intent in there as well.

is anyone else who got an unconditional acceptance still waiting on orders? I haven't even got an Army DCC confirmation yet. I have been waiting since February for any news on whether I attend officer training in June or July and I already sent my preferences. I submitted my commissioning paperwork the first week of April. Waiting and waiting... When should we start to worry? I felt that I have pestered the USUHS/HPSP program manager enough times.

is anyone else who got an unconditional acceptance still waiting on orders? I haven't even got an Army DCC confirmation yet. I have been waiting since February for any news on whether I attend officer training in June or July and I already sent my preferences. I submitted my commissioning paperwork the first week of April. Waiting and waiting... When should we start to worry? I felt that I have pestered the USUHS/HPSP program manager enough times.

There is no reason to worry. Just try to relax. If they have a spot for you to go, you’ll get orders. If not, you’ll go later. Often the military will not give you orders until like a few weeks to a month or two out. It’s annoying but something you have to get used to.

Apparently it sound like we're all going June 21st now

I think CAPT Liotta mentioned that I you don't have a place in Bethesda yet they'll hold everything in a storage container for you while you look for a place. Then you'll have a set amount of time to find a place in Bethesda while they pay for lodging (you have some money for a hotel), then they move everything into your new place once you've found it.

I'm also kind of confused about how all the timelines work especially if we have a later DCC and miss some of orientation. Maybe we have to report to Bethesda earlier then in June before going to officer training?
Yeah im truly not sure. I definitely want to get the logistics set prior to going to OTS, so I know my plan, but I guess just trust the process.

Any airforce students get their hands on the PT test requirements for OTS. The link that was in an email a while ago is now broken and every other website has different numbers.

Any airforce students get their hands on the PT test requirements for OTS. The link that was in an email a while ago is now broken and every other website has different numbers.
You can Google the AF PT requirements for your age bracket and these are what will be used at OTS as well…the only exception, if it’s not updated already, is that the waist circumference will not be measured and full points will be awarded.

You can Google the AF PT requirements for your age bracket and these are what will be used at OTS as well…the only exception, if it’s not updated already, is that the waist circumference will not be measured and full points will be awarded.
Thank you for that info. I have seen this on google, but I was asking if anyone knew the official test criteria because every link has different information.

Some have push-ups and sit-ups out of 1 minute, some have it out of 2 mins. Do you know which we will be doing?
If you have a link that’d be great.

Last edited: