2020-2021 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Applying to UNE this cycle. Where's everyone??

Reactions: 7 users
I have listed below the "pseudo discrete" secondary questions that are in reality a portion of the Primary Application to UNE!
@PapaGuava

Describe your particular interest in the UNE COM and describe any contact you've had with our students, alumni, or faculty. If you are related to a UNE COM graduate, please list that persons full name, year of graduation, and relationship to you.

Tell about a time when you needed to put the interests of another ahead of your own.

Pick an example of a challenge/difficulty you have encountered that is of a personal, cultural, extra-curricular, or academic nature. What insight have you gained from this event? How will it influence your time at UNE COM and your practice of medicine?

What is your understanding of the team-based approach to medical education? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of this approach?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying to UNE this cycle. Where's everyone??

I am an AZ resident but I did spend 10 years in Vermont and my family still lives there now. Really excited about potentially attending UNE it is one of the few DO schools I am applying to at this stage in the game.

I have listed below the "pseudo discrete" secondary questions that are in reality a portion of the Primary Application to UNE!
@PapaGuava

Describe your particular interest in the UNE COM and describe any contact you've had with our students, alumni, or faculty. If you are related to a UNE COM graduate, please list that persons full name, year of graduation, and relationship to you.

Tell about a time when you needed to put the interests of another ahead of your own.

Pick an example of a challenge/difficulty you have encountered that is of a personal, cultural, extra-curricular, or academic nature. What insight have you gained from this event? How will it influence your time at UNE COM and your practice of medicine?

What is your understanding of the team-based approach to medical education? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of this approach?
Hello! Can any UNECOM students speak a bit about the team-based approach?

TIA :)

Reactions: 4 users
For the section that asks if you've applied to allopathic/osteopathic schools before, did anyone click 'yes' for both? I did and they both came up with the same essay asking "when and how have you enhanced your preparedness?". I don't really know how to answer for both of them because I worked on enhancing myself as an overall applicant, so both essays will essentially be the same. Any pointers?

For the section that asks if you've applied to allopathic/osteopathic schools before, did anyone click 'yes' for both? I did and they both came up with the same essay asking "when and how have you enhanced your preparedness?". I don't really know how to answer for both of them because I worked on enhancing myself as an overall applicant, so both essays will essentially be the same. Any pointers?
I answered one of them with my essay on how I've improved and just stated the cycle I applied in for the other!

Thank you! It seemed weird to have to answer the same questions twice.
Lol I did end up just answering the same question twice but I figured they got that a lot since I just focused on improving as an applicant overall and not specific towards either.

Hello! Can any UNECOM students speak a bit about the team-based approach?

TIA :)
Not a UNE student, but I went to the ChooseDO session from UNE and asked about their team-based approach. This is what they said:

Students are placed in small cohorts that stay together through the year
Anatomy lab- group of 4 for the whole year
Case based learning groups- 6-7 students on a case, stick together for the year
OMM groups practice together for the year

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 7 users
Lol I did end up just answering the same question twice but I figured they got that a lot since I just focused on improving as an applicant overall and not specific towards either.
I actually went back in yesterday and answered the second one anyway lol. I just said something like, "in addition to the above mentioned (slight recap), this is the other stuff I've been up to..."

Yeah my stuff wasn't specific for MD/DO either, but I figured if I've got the extra space I may as well use it!

Reactions: 1 users
Probably the right mover there or at least a slightly beneficial one.

Not a UNE student, but I went to the ChooseDO session from UNE and asked about their team-based approach. This is what they said:

Hope this helps!
Thank you, this is super helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any one know the time line for eventually receiving interview invites ?

Didn't get anything from them so far

Does anyone know if they will send out an invite for secondaries, or are those questions in the AACOMAS app technically the secondary questions? Not sure if I'm waiting on more essays or if they will be looking through our apps to see who they want to invite interviews.

Does anyone know if they will send out an invite for secondaries, or are those questions in the AACOMAS app technically the secondary questions? Not sure if I'm waiting on more essays or if they will be looking through our apps to see who they want to invite interviews.

I haven't received anything yet (not even a confirmation that they got my application), and I was transmitted on the first day.

The questions in the primary are the secondary questions. They will screen them then invite you to pay the secondary fee if you meet cutoffs, if I understood correctly. But there won’t be any other essays/questions.

The questions in the primary are the secondary questions. They will screen them then invite you to pay the secondary fee if you meet cutoffs, if I understood correctly. But there won’t be any other essays/questions.
Thank you!

I saw that they have a secondary fee still(55$ according to DO explorer) which makes me feel like even though they don't send separate secondary prompts they still have some sort of a secondary process before II's even if that process is simply collecting $$.

Hello, does UNECOM's team-based approach involve cohorts of students from different professions working together (like PAs, nurses, and medical students in the same group working towards the same goal), and not just groups of medical students? I think that's what it said on one of UNECOM's articles but I would hope a student can confirm this so that I am not putting false information in my essay. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hope this helps!
Hello, did they mention whether those groups include only medical students or students from different health professions as well (like nursing and PA)?

Hello, did they mention whether those groups include only medical students or students from different health professions as well (like nursing and PA)?

Honestly, I answered the question with the interprofessional stuff in mind. If you go on their website and search "team-based," you'll find a lot of articles talking a lot about team-based learning with regard to putting DO students with nursing, OT, dental, etc. students together. I feel like either interpretation of the prompt wouldn't be wrong, because the phrasing itself is very vague.

Reactions: 2 users
Not yet :(
Y’all are so neurotic(as I am) and I feel right at home with you guys LOL
Haha thanks! Yeah I just want to pay it asap so I can move on and be done with the UNECOM app for now lol. It bugs me.

Submitted 6/22. Verified by AACOMAS 6/19 (I submitted this school later than the others because of the additional essays). Received an email today that UNE received my materials and my application would be undergoing preliminary review.

Submitted 6/22. Verified by AACOMAS 6/19 (I submitted this school later than the others because of the additional essays). Received an email today that UNE received my materials and my application would be undergoing preliminary review.
Me too! Verified 6/1, just received same email

+1 ... Does "preliminary review" mean anything? Or is it just an acknowledgement?

+1 ... Does "preliminary review" mean anything? Or is it just an acknowledgement?

Probably just an acknowledgement that they have the application. Not sure if they're sending a secondary fee to be paid after the initial review.

Probably just an acknowledgement that they have the application. Not sure if they're sending a secondary fee to be paid after the initial review.
I think they just mean that whoever is below the minimum GPA will be screened out.

+1

Just received an e-mail to complete the supplemental fee!

but the link is broken, i truly hate it here lmao

I haven't gotten mine yet. Waitinnnng

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't gotten mine yet. Waitinnnng

I just got their confirmation that they received my app YESTERDAY, and it was transmitted on the first day. I guess they're just doing this things in batches (I hope).