2020-2021 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how much UNE is including room & board and every amenity ?
The most recent costs of attendance I have found published by the school are for 2019-2020. They amount to about $85k, but are clearly dependent on the individual budget, e.g., you may spend less than $15k on housing or less than $5k on travel. Let us know if you find the 2021-2022 COA projections.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The most recent costs of attendance I have found published by the school are for 2019-2020. They amount to about $85k, but are clearly dependent on the individual budget, e.g., you may spend less than $15k on housing or less than $5k on travel. Let us know if you find the 2021-2022 COA projections.
Thanks. I also found the 2019-2020 but wasn’t sure if anyone knew what it will be this year. I will let you know what I find

Thanks. I also found the 2019-2020 but wasn’t sure if anyone knew what it will be this year. I will let you know what I find
it was about that this year! Depends on how if you accept the maximum loan amount or not.

I heard that the grading system is pretty weird/complex at UNECOM but in simplest terms, is it pass/fail? Sounds like it was something like Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail...can anyone confirm or correct me?
the grading system is hard to explain so you won't totally get it until you're here. You don't get a numerical grade for any tests or anything as everything is graded based on competencies, but overall it is pass fail. However, there is a scale for passing: pass, high pass, and honors (this is kinda only important if you're trying to get into an honor society). We aren't ranked though!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have already been interviewed and/or current students, what would you say was the hardest interview question you got?

For those of you who have already been interviewed and/or current students, what would you say was the hardest interview question you got?
In regards to my experience working in healthcare, "What surprised you about medicine?"

Hi everyone, accepted student here. So excited to meet all of you and best of luck to those applying :) I heard there was a huge excel sheet with a list of places for rent etc... Does anyone know where I could find it? And is there an accepted student thread or something? Thanks!

• Love
Hi everyone, accepted student here. So excited to meet all of you and best of luck to those applying :) I heard there was a huge excel sheet with a list of places for rent etc... Does anyone know where I could find it? And is there an accepted student thread or something? Thanks!
I'm interviewing in a couple of weeks but I did come across the spreadsheet!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I'm interviewing in a couple of weeks but I did come across the spreadsheet!

Thank you for this! If this is a google doc is there any way you could put the link? I’m not able to open the document from here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the book lists for Osteopathic Medical Knowledge IA and Osteopathic Clinical Skills IA. I know it isn't recommended that the studying start already, but I am curious to see what is next! Thank you.

Anyone know the book lists for Osteopathic Medical Knowledge IA and Osteopathic Clinical Skills IA. I know it isn't recommended that the studying start already, but I am curious to see what is next! Thank you.
you really should take the time to relax! you don't get much time like that once you start and when you do start it's very go go go. Depending on the COVID situation you're either going to start with upper extremity or lower extremity and OMK will be based on muscles, how they work, intro to pharm, neuro input to muscles, and some skin infections.

I'm wondering if any former students have any suggestions for housing options in the Biddeford area that allow pets? Thank you!

I'm wondering if any former students have any suggestions for housing options in the Biddeford area that allow pets? Thank you!
Not a former student, but you’re probably going to have the most luck looking for apartment complexes (more likely around Portland) that are pet friendly. A lot of old New England homes - especially near the coast - don’t allow pets for the sole reason that they still have original wood flooring and don’t want paws depreciating the value if they potentially plan on selling or turning into a seasonal rental.

Not a former student, but you’re probably going to have the most luck looking for apartment complexes (more likely around Portland) that are pet friendly. A lot of old New England homes - especially near the coast - don’t allow pets for the sole reason that they still have original wood flooring and don’t want paws depreciating the value if they potentially plan on selling or turning into a seasonal rental.

Thank you! That’s kind of what I’ve been finding so far - that more apartments are pet friendly than homes. And even then it seems like slim pickings. If anyone knows any specific apartment complexes that they’d recommend, feel free to to PM me and let me know! Otherwise I will just continue the search on Craigslist, the UNE housing spreadsheet, and the apartments app.

Reactions: 3 users
II earlier today, will be declining. hope it goes to one of you wonderful ppl :)

Reactions: 3 users
MCAT 504, Undergrad GPA 3.0, Master's GPA 3.6, extensive scribing and clinical research experience. I also interviewed here and was waitlisted last cycle. Wasn't sure if that would improve my odds of getting another interview this year or put me at a disadvantage.

I've sent in a few updates but never got a confirmation. Anyone else in this boat? Complete in late July.

I've sent in a few updates but never got a confirmation. Anyone else in this boat? Complete in late July.
More or less yes. I was complete in mid August and nothing here. Sent an update a while back and no response. I'm mentally preparing for reapplying at this point

More or less yes. I was complete in mid August and nothing here. Sent an update a while back and no response. I'm mentally preparing for reapplying at this point

I really hope that this month has been slow and they are prepping more IIs soon. Sure, I applied in late October, but as a third-time reapplicant, I really can't, and even don't know how, I would be able to re-apply again.

I really hope that this month has been slow and they are prepping more IIs soon. Sure, I applied in late October, but as a third-time reapplicant, I really can't, and even don't know how, I would be able to re-apply again.
I think things are just moving slowly. The admissions committee even said earlier in the cycle that they are very delayed this cycle and are expecting to extend interviews later in the Spring than they normally would. Keep thinking positive thoughts!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
yeah, i'm not sure what to say. i would look long and hard at your application and identify any potential weakness you can find, and then resolve to address those deficiencies. I would not apply again unless every potential flaw or shortcoming of your application has been addressed. Some deficiencies like low college gpa can't be eliminated but they can be addressed through an SMP or Postbacc (while although they are typically expensive routes, they are sometimes the only option for some applicants to become competitive). If you are low on clinical experience, I would take at least a full year of dedicated clinic experience before even considering reapplying. If the issue is mcat, don't rush it, and take the time it deserves to get a higher score even if it takes 6+ months to study for. If finances are an issue, your timeline might be even more prolonged b/c you might need to work a side job to support yourself financially while doing all the other required stuff that is necessary for premeds to gain admission as well. If age is an issue, well it shouldn't be if you truly desire to be a doctor. The medical school application is indeed brutal, but i encourage you to not give up. Sometimes our paths in life are non-linear, but I generally believe that we eventually get to where we want so long as we have the grit and determination to see it through.

• Love
yeah, i'm not sure what to say. i would look long and hard at your application and identify any potential weakness you can find, and then resolve to address those deficiencies. I would not apply again unless every potential flaw or shortcoming of your application has been addressed. Some deficiencies like low college gpa can't be eliminated but they can be addressed through an SMP or Postbacc (while although they are typically expensive routes, they are sometimes the only option for some applicants to become competitive). If you are low on clinical experience, I would take at least a full year of dedicated clinic experience before even considering reapplying. If the issue is mcat, don't rush it, and take the time it deserves to get a higher score even if it takes 6+ months to study for. If finances are an issue, your timeline might be even more prolonged b/c you might need to work a side job to support yourself financially while doing all the other required stuff that is necessary for premeds to gain admission as well. If age is an issue, well it shouldn't be if you truly desire to be a doctor. The medical school application is indeed brutal, but i encourage you to not give up. Sometimes our paths in life are non-linear, but I generally believe that we eventually get to where we want so long as we have the grit and determination to see it through.

It’s less so any of that and more so that I’ve taken feedback from all the schools I got rejected from in the past and acted on it as well, as much as I could.

Like I know on social media people tend to conflate the figurative with the literal, but I quite literally don’t know what else to do to improve.

@Blue Lion I totally agree with all the above mentioned advice, but my simplest advice to you would be to just be patient. A lot of people are still receiving II's and there's a very real chance you'll still get one and get accepted this cycle. I know that the waiting game is terrifying because life's literally on hold unless you have a decision, but constantly thinking about it will only make you more miserable, so try distracting yourself by doing things that you have fun doing.

And if you don't get in then get more feedback from the schools, and most importantly, if you plan to reapply, then apply EARLY and send frequent updates to schools that accept updates (letters of intent help too)! While October isn't exactly late in the cycle, I don't think it's early either. No matter what anyone says, applying early is very important since most schools accept students on a rolling basis... it will significantly increase your chances of getting in. Frequently updating your application is also very beneficial as it affirms the fact that you really care about the field and are constantly working to improve yourself. Pretty sure it'll also force the schools to look at your application more often. I'm sure you're probably already aware of all this but I just wanted to mention these little things that might help. Please feel free to correct me if I posted any misinformation as that was not my intention.

@Blue Lion I totally agree with all the above mentioned advice, but my simplest advice to you would be to just be patient. A lot of people are still receiving II's and there's a very real chance you'll still get one and get accepted this cycle. I know that the waiting game is terrifying because life's literally on hold unless you have a decision, but constantly thinking about it will only make you more miserable, so try distracting yourself by doing things that you have fun doing.

And if you don't get in then get more feedback from the schools, and most importantly, if you plan to reapply, then apply EARLY and send frequent updates to schools that accept updates (letters of intent help too)! While October isn't exactly late in the cycle, I don't think it's early either. No matter what anyone says, applying early is very important since most schools accept students on a rolling basis... it will significantly increase your chances of getting in. Frequently updating your application is also very beneficial as it affirms the fact that you really care about the field and are constantly working to improve yourself. Pretty sure it'll also force the schools to look at your application more often. I'm sure you're probably already aware of all this but I just wanted to mention these little things that might help. Please feel free to correct me if I posted any misinformation as that was not my intention.

Definitely updated my application with a new job and an LOI, although that was this months so I hope it makes an impact.

And yeah, I wish I could've applied earlier, but my school for some reason was just completely unable to verify my transcript until then :(

This is great advice! I have a friend who got in in her 4th time applying. I would recommend applying strategically and broadly to the schools that are closer to your stats and to your interests, e.g. Research, primary care, underserve etc. If not, I would consider applying internationally to universities that have their accreditation, a curriculum similar to the US, USMLE step prep and clinical rotations with programs linked to US. There is a lot of stigma towards international programs but you should do your research. Your success will depend entirely on yourself if the school mimics a US program. It will be an MD because I don't believe there are DO schools. I have friends from undergrad who went directly the international route, to save money and time and today they are successful doctors in different specialities and had no problems while applying to the same US match program. If you are passionate to a career in medicine, and you cant go a day without thinking about becoming a Doctor, you should not let anyone limit you. However, be very careful because it will be challenging moving internationally, cultural shock, different food, support system among other things to consider but at the end of the day is up to you if you are willing to sacrifice those things for a couple of years. I wish you the best of success!!!

I know its hard to hear but relax!! i didn't have an II from here yet this time last year and had one of the last interview days and i'm here! try to find hobbies outside of SDN, you can go crazy staying on these forums all day (trust me)

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys, how did interviews feel to people here? I couldn't gauge how well I did or not, kind of stressing me out.

• Care
Anyone know if the interview turnaround time is actually four weeks? I interviewed in mid Jan and am starting to get anxious? Thank you

Hey guys, how did interviews feel to people here? I couldn't gauge how well I did or not, kind of stressing me out.
I felt like mine was very chill and more conversational. Did you feel like yours was stressful?

I felt like mine was very chill and more conversational. Did you feel like yours was stressful?
I also felt that my interview was chill and conversational! However, I didn't feel like I ever got much of a reaction/response from my interview team. Kind of maintained straight faces which threw me off compared to more enthusiastic interviewers from other schools lol

Anyone know if the interview turnaround time is actually four weeks? I interviewed in mid Jan and am starting to get anxious? Thank you
Same! I was told by adcom 3-5 weeks but another student posted that he/she heard back within 2 so who knows

Mine was a little stressful tbh. Had a couple of ethics questions (just 2 I think) that I wasn't really prepared for as I assumed the interview would be conversational...I didn't feel too good coming out of the interview but I think we're often our harshest critic so who knows

Last edited:
I also felt that my interview was chill and conversational! However, I didn't feel like I ever got much of a reaction/response from my interview team. Kind of maintained straight faces which threw me off compared to more enthusiastic interviewers from other schools lol
I also agree with this. I felt it was conversational but also felt it was kind of like a test ha my interviewers also did not show any facial expressions and had straight faces. After the interview, I knew that I could have answered the questions better. I'm wondering how much weight the interview is put in their ultimate decision because it could go either way for me ha

Edit: another thing, did anyone also feel like they haven't yet read your application. None of their questions were based on anything in my application, and i had the impression that they would ask about details of my application..

Last edited:
Yep that was my vibe as well!

I also agree with this. I felt it was conversational but also felt it was kind of like a test ha my interviewers also did not show any facial expressions and had straight faces. After the interview, I knew that I could have answered the questions better. I'm wondering how much weight the interview is put in their ultimate decision because it could go either way for me ha

Edit: another thing, did anyone also feel like they haven't yet read your application. None of their questions were based on anything in my application, and i had the impression that they would ask about details of my application..
Exactly! My research experience was the same field as the postdoc work done by the PhD faculty who interviewed me here but he didn't ask me a single quesiton about my research haha go figure

I think the interview was mainly to explore our professionalism, communication skills, and personality...

How soon did you guys hear back after your interview? I was told four weeks during the welcome session, but did it take that long?

How soon did you guys hear back after your interview? I was told four weeks during the welcome session, but did it take that long?

I think it was around 4 for me, but some people heard back in 2-3 before the holidays.

Exactly! My research experience was the same field as the postdoc work done by the PhD faculty who interviewed me here but he didn't ask me a single quesiton about my research haha go figure

I think the interview was mainly to explore our professionalism, communication skills, and personality...
@733yk

I'll jump in and say my experience was slightly different. My interviewers were very conversational and personable, definitely a lot of body language to go off. It was like a casual conversation. I felt like I could really control and highlight the strong points of my application.

They definitely read my file front to back, because they asked very specific questions that they wouldn't have formulated just by skimming it. Surprisingly specific haha nothing difficult, but it felt good that they read it.

However I totally agree that the interview is all about getting to know u as a person more so than anything.

Good luck to all!