2020-2021 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary Prompt:
1) What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (2,000 character limit including spaces)

2) If you attended more than two colleges/universities, explain why. Community colleges are not needed. (1,000 character limit including spaces)

3) If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know.(1,000 character limit including spaces)

4) Do you consider yourself financially disadvantaged? If yes, please explain.(1,000 character limit including spaces)

5) Do you consider yourself educationally disadvantaged? If yes, please explain. (1,000 character limit including spaces)

6) One of the values of the University of North Texas Health Science Center is Integrity (uphold the highest ethical standards) which can be described as someone who:
- does what is right, not just what is easy, even if no one is looking
- conducts themselves with honesty, trustworthiness and dependability
- is transparent in actions
- owns, corrects and learns from successes and failures
Please select a specific instance where you have demonstrated Integrity and describe how this is indicative of your character (2,000 character limit).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey new best friends :)

I’m a rising M3 here.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the school, TMDSAS in general, or Fort Worth! I’d love to help out in any way that I can.

Reactions: 4 users
In the sec app there is a section to give the info of a DO for a LOR. I already have a letter from a DO and it is part of my HPAC committee packet that was submitted to TMDSAS. Do I just leave this section in the sec app blank?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if EDP decisions will all be in October or will they do them on a rolling basis

@PapaGuava Secondary Received. Prompts below

1) What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (2,000 character limit including spaces)​

2) If you attended more than two colleges/universities, explain why. Community colleges are not needed. (1,000 character limit including spaces)​

3) If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know.(1,000 character limit including spaces)

Do you consider yourself financially disadvantaged?​
If yes, please explain.(1,000 character limit including spaces)​

Do you consider yourself educationally disadvantaged?​
If yes, please explain. (1,000 character limit including spaces)​
One of the values of the University of North Texas Health Science Center is Integrity (uphold the highest ethical standards) which can be described as someone who:
- does what is right, not just what is easy, even if no one is looking
- conducts themselves with honesty, trustworthiness and dependability
- is transparent in actions
- owns, corrects and learns from successes and failures
Please select a specific instance where you have demonstrated Integrity and describe how this is indicative of your character (2,000 character limit).

Submitted May 3rd.

Does TCOM send secondary in email or do we have to set up an account a la Texas A&M?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone send the link to get to the secondary page? I can't find it and haven't got an email yet

Quick shoutout to TCOM (and UTSW) for having a no submission fee for secondaries...really wish more Texas schools would do this

Reactions: 8 users
How long did it take to receive a secondary from TCOM? Do you need to receive it to make an account? I know how to navigate to their page but since I'm a reapplicant and participated in their MedSci program last year, I already have a username with them but I'm not sure if it's linked to my new application for this cycle.

How long did it take to receive a secondary from TCOM? Do you need to receive it to make an account? I know how to navigate to their page but since I'm a reapplicant and participated in their MedSci program last year, I already have a username with them but I'm not sure if it's linked to my new application for this cycle.
I'm in the same dilemma as a reapplicant. Let me know if you figure anything out

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we just start a new secondary application upon receiving the email?

I'm in the same dilemma as a reapplicant. Let me know if you figure anything out

I actually got an email this morning with my EUID and a link to reset my password if needed. It seems like if you already have this set up from last time and remember the password you don't need to set do anything else. If you go to unthsc.edu > Academic > TCOM> Admissions, Select Online applications on the left-hand side then click the link to their secondary application. Create a new application with an ID and password. It can be whatever you want. To save it, make sure you fill out the first page and enter at least one character into the essay prompt. Let me know if you need help!

Anybody know how to send in our extra DO letter to TCOM through Interfolio by chance? Unsure how to do it exactly, I'm snoopin around the website @wysdoc @Isoval

Anybody know how to send in our extra DO letter to TCOM through Interfolio by chance? Unsure how to do it exactly, I'm snoopin around the website @wysdoc

You go to deliveries and click the email option. Then you just post the email that they want you to send it to. Essentially interfolio submits the email for you to any email address you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quick question. In TMDSAS there's a prompt that says don't submit transcripts until it's being request. So do i just submit my application without sending the transcripts?

Yes. They will email you when they want your transcripts (around August).
One more question. How long does the TMDSAS take to receive the LORs? i want to push the application through asap but the letters are still not received...

One more question. How long does the TMDSAS take to receive the LORs? i want to push the application through asap but the letters are still not received...
They will verify and then transmit your app to schools without the LORs, and forward them to schools when they arrive.

TMDSAS today is processing apps submitted May 27th. When you submit your app, they will probably be processing it about 3 weeks later.
By then your letters might be in!

They will verify and then transmit your app to schools without the LORs, and forward them to schools when they arrive.

TMDSAS today is processing apps submitted May 27th. When you submit your app, they will probably be processing it about 3 weeks later.
By then your letters might be in!
I see. I just submitted my application and they already sent it to the school. Can i go ahead to the TCOM web site register and complete my secondary or i have to wait until TCOM sends the official email to me?

I see. I just submitted my application and they already sent it to the school. Can i go ahead to the TCOM web site register and complete my secondary or i have to wait until TCOM sends the official email to me?
If you look at @seahawks3 post a few above this, follow the instructions to set up an account. #15

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any specific reason for those educationally and financially disadvantaged reasons? i am afraid if i say i am financially disadvantage, they will think that i can't pay for the tuition and won't accept me

I have had prior clinical experience in primary care​

Does this include shadowing/volunteering?

Is there any specific reason for those educationally and financially disadvantaged reasons? i am afraid if i say i am financially disadvantage, they will think that i can't pay for the tuition and won't accept me
It’s all about diversity and adversity. I can practically guarantee you won’t be rejected on the basis of “they can’t pay”.

Do y'all think it will look bad if we don't answer the financial/educational disadvantage questions? I hate leaving prompts blank, but I don't want to write an insincere essay.

Do y'all think it will look bad if we don't answer the financial/educational disadvantage questions? I hate leaving prompts blank, but I don't want to write an insincere essay.

Personally, I just wrote not applicable because I feel it’s better to be honest than write something that’s not genuine, or doesn’t truly qualify as a disadvantage.

Forcing a prompt is almost always worse than not answering it

Reactions: 3 users

Don’t write one if you aren’t financially or educationally disadvantaged.

I just logged into TCOM and said four notifications for my to do list about my LORs. Do I just wait for them to process the letters??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200706-134314.png
    Screenshot_20200706-134314.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 208
I ran into another problem with TMDSAS. They keep rejecting my statistic class, claiming that the class syllabus is missing a topic on Anova test..... That is obsurb. I cant find a class that fits every single specific topic that they listed in tmdsas.... Should I just contact TCOM with the syllabus and see what happens? I do have another class that has the topic that TMDSAS demanded...

I ran into another problem with TMDSAS. They keep rejecting my statistic class, claiming that the class syllabus is missing a topic on Anova test..... That is obsurb. I cant find a class that fits every single specific topic that they listed in tmdsas.... Should I just contact TCOM with the syllabus and see what happens? I do have another class that has the topic that TMDSAS demanded...
I had a similar issue. You can get away with whatever statistics course you have If you email them with a comparison of what is covered by your statistics class vs what they have approved for a stats class in your school. I also included a list of every topic covered during the class (every title from every ppt), the textbooks used during the class, and just asked to have my class be updated. I didn’t have an issue after that.
That being said I don’t recall any Anova testing being taught in my class. But if you find a ppt that mentions it, even when your syllabus doesn’t, then you might be able to email them that too.

I had a similar issue. You can get away with whatever statistics course you have If you email them with a comparison of what is covered by your statistics class vs what they have approved for a stats class in your school. I also included a list of every topic covered during the class (every title from every ppt), the textbooks used during the class, and just asked to have my class be updated. I didn’t have an issue after that.
That being said I don’t recall any Anova testing being taught in my class. But if you find a ppt that mentions it, even when your syllabus doesn’t, then you might be able to email them that too.
I emailed tcom directly with the syllabus attached. No response so far..... I hope they are oka with it

Did you talk to tmdsas or tcom?

When I look at the MyUNTHSC portal, under admissions it says "No active Application" and "No application data found". I submitted my secondary June 19th with a confirmation email. I was curious if it says this for everyone else?

When I look at the MyUNTHSC portal, under admissions it says "No active Application" and "No application data found". I submitted my secondary June 19th with a confirmation email. I was curious if it says this for everyone else?
Yes, I emailed them about this and they said if you are missing anything (LOR, MCAT, etc.) it will show "No Active Application."

I just checked mine and it says the same "No active application". I submitted my secondary last month and they should of received everything from my TMDSAS application. Anyone else having this issue?

I just checked mine and it says the same "No active application". I submitted my secondary last month and they should of received everything from my TMDSAS application. Anyone else having this issue?
Yes, I have this issue as well! I think previous year threads said they had this glitch, so I'm not sure if they are aware of it or not.

I submitted my secondary a few weeks ago and mine says 1 active application

Yes, I have this issue as well! I think previous year threads said they had this glitch, so I'm not sure if they are aware of it or not.
I emailed them about it and they confirmed it is a glitch and that my application was in fact complete. They said they are working on it!

Reactions: 3 users
Here are my stats: cGPA: 3.76, sGPA: 3.55, MCAT: 506. Shadowed an MD, research intern at hospital and biology labs. Do I have shot at this school?

Here are my stats: cGPA: 3.76, sGPA: 3.55, MCAT: 506. Shadowed an MD, research intern at hospital and biology labs. Do I have shot at this school?

I think you have a reasonable chance. Probably 50/50 at an interview, give or take. Higher or lower depending on the rest of your application.

I emailed them about it and they confirmed it is a glitch and that my application was in fact complete. They said they are working on it!
Do you think they are working on all applications that have this glitch or just if you email them and ask? Has yours been fixed yet?

Do you think they are working on all applications that have this glitch or just if you email them and ask? Has yours been fixed yet?
Mine has not been fixed yet :/

To submit an additional DO letter, is it necessary that we include their address and/or phone number in the secondary application? I was just going to have them email the letter directly to TCOM.

Mine has not been fixed yet :/
Just called the program and they told me once your secondary application has been submitted the portal will show that your application is "no longer active" (i.e. open for changes). If submitted and you have an email confirmation stating the secondary application has been received, there is nothing else we have to do from our end.

I submitted my secondary yesterday and my status says "application under review." Does anyone know how long I can expect to hear back about an interview?