2020-2021 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMS III about to be an OMS IV here. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with

Reactions: 1 user
Sgpa=3.43,cgpa=3.6,MCAT=515..so what are my chances

Members don't see this ad :)
Sgpa=3.43,cgpa=3.6,MCAT=515..so what are my chances
Decent, I’d still apply, just be ready to explain your GPA if you interview. Any other activities or community service or research?

Yes , I have clinical/ community volunteer hours and research hours.currently enrolled in DIy post bac...

OMS III about to be an OMS IV here. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with
How many people from your class are outside of the Appalachian region? Interested in applying but I heard they like people from the region who are going to practice in rural Appalachia.

How many people from your class are outside of the Appalachian region? Interested in applying but I heard they like people from the region who are going to practice in rural Appalachia.
Yes they like people from KY but most all schools prefer candidates from their state for a variety of reasons (Support system, comfort, etc.). There are a ton of people from other areas (my class has people from MI, OH, ND, WY, WI, NY, FL, UT and others). Don’t let your area inhibit your applying. The best way to get into medical school is to cast a wide net and have options to choose from:) Also, while DO programs encourage rural medicine, I know our school dont push it. We have clubs for nearly every specialty and bring in physicians to talk about those and encourage you to attend conferences to make connections in your field of interest. They want you to be where you want to be and do what you want to do. If you want FM great, if not, great. They just want you to be good at what you do and succeed. If you succeed, they succeed.

Reactions: 1 users
2° received at 8:30am!

prompt:
Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school. (500 words or less)

What's the deal with the LORs? On the secondary application, where do we indicate which letters we want them to review?

Got mine today, good luck everyone here. Seems like someone posted the essay already, otherwise not too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the deal with the LORs? On the secondary application, where do we indicate which letters we want them to review?
I'm pretty sure KYCOM will manually grab the necessary letters from AACOMAS or Interfolio

The letters should be in AACOMAS/Interfolio. Whatever is in there or what you selected to place in there they will see

Secondary received today. I was verified 6/12.

complete email received rn!
  • review takes 3-4 wks for IIs
  • preference given to those from Appalachian area (which i am not from so r.i.p.)
good luck to everyone.

complete email received rn!
  • review takes 3-4 wks for IIs
  • preference given to those from Appalachian area (which i am not from so r.i.p.)
good luck to everyone.
Same!

Primary sent: June 16
Secondary invite and secondary sent: June 23
Complete: June 24

I'm also OOS but they accepted like 80 OOS and 50 ISS last cycle or something so not too bad

My application is submitted, but how long does it take to be complete? Do we need to have an MCAT score in?

My application is submitted, but how long does it take to be complete? Do we need to have an MCAT score in?
Yes your MCAT score must post before they will review your file

Does anyone else have a problem submitting payment for the secondary?

Edit: fixed. If anyone else has a problem, try switching to another browser (google chrome had problems for me, so I used Microsoft edge).

Last edited:
Do they screen for GPA? I heard that it was 3.2 cGPA and sGPA to get a secondary?

Do they screen for GPA? I heard that it was 3.2 cGPA and sGPA to get a secondary?

I got a secondary and my undergraduate sGPA is below 3.2, but my graduate sGPA is well above 3.2 (but combined it still isn’t above 3.2).

I got a secondary and my undergraduate sGPA is below 3.2, but my graduate sGPA is well above 3.2 (but combined it still isn’t above 3.2).
+1, I also received a secondary with an undergrad sGPA below 3.2 (it's 3.03 w/ my post-bacc). It must be a fairly soft/holistic screen.

I just received the secondary application today and I am looking at it and there is an option to upload documents such as criminal history, unofficial transcript, update letter etc. Are we suppose to upload anything for those? I am assuming not the update letter but for the other two?

Yes they do and I believe that is correct. If you have a lot of other things going for you they tend to overlook somethings. It’s more about the whole package.

Secondary received this morning!

I am below 3.2 for both cGPA and sGPA, and still received a secondary this morning. OOS w/ no ties to KY. However, I am non-trad w/ several years of social justice/underserved experience and interest in primary care, which very closely aligns with the mission.

Hey all, just wanted to drop some advice for those worried about a lower GPA/MCAT. There is a screen that is initially set up for 3.2 and I believe 498-500, but if there is still room they will often overlook that based on the rest you have to offer. Should you get an interview, you will need to be ready to tell them about your low gpa/mcat, what happened, how you adjusted; what you learned from the experience, etc. Medical school is rough academically and they don’t want to set you up for failure so they will look into it. While you may take 12-16 hrs in college a semester, your first semester in med school is on the average of 22 credits (nearly double). They will do their best to make sure you are capable because the last thing anyone wants is a huge debt that could have been prevented. If you have questions please reach out to me. I feel like I’ve been helpful in the past to people (‍♀️),but I’m transparent and will tell you what I know (the reality of it, nothing sugar coated). I’m not paid by the university to be on here or anything like that, I just know what it was like being on your side and wish I had someone to help so that’s what I do :)

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Has anyone received an email that their application is under review? Mine has said "complete" for awhile, but I never received an email.

Has anyone received an email that their application is under review? Mine has said "complete" for awhile, but I never received an email.
Mine says complete on the portal, as well. I also received an email on 7/8 saying that I was complete and would be under review for the next 3-4 weeks. Did you receive the complete email or nothing at all?

Mine says complete on the portal, as well. I also received an email on 7/8 saying that I was complete and would be under review for the next 3-4 weeks. Did you receive the complete email or nothing at all?
Nope, I didn’t get a complete email! It might be because I just got my MCAT score last week?

Nope, I didn’t get a complete email! It might be because I just got my MCAT score last week?
That's probably it. I submitted and paid on 6/24, and I didn't receive the email until 7/8, so it took them 2 weeks or so to process. You'll probably hear something next week!

Hi everyone. I applied last cycle and got a rejection from KYCOM without getting secondary. This year I reapplied and today I got a short email from the director of admissions stating that the Class of 2024 has been filled. I'm a little confused, is it a rejection for this cycle as well or just a notice from last cycle since I applied last year? Sorry, I'm still learning about the whole process...

Hi everyone. I applied last cycle and got a rejection from KYCOM without getting secondary. This year I reapplied and today I got a short email from the director of admissions stating that the Class of 2024 has been filled. I'm a little confused, is it a rejection for this cycle as well or just a notice from last cycle since I applied last year? Sorry, I'm still learning about the whole process...
How is it already filled when no one got interviews yet?? And if we get in this cycle, wouldn't we be class of 2025? Perhaps they sent you the wrong email. I'd email the admissions committee back and clarify what happened.

I would assume that’s for last cycle. The 2020-2021 cycle is for the Class of 2025.

I email them asking for the clarification and the said that, indeed, it was regarding last cycle.

+1, I also received a secondary with an undergrad sGPA below 3.2 (it's 3.03 w/ my post-bacc). It must be a fairly soft/holistic screen.

My stats are about the same and I got a secondary from them. I'm also in the process of doing post-bacc work, and I'm constantly updating schools as my grades come in.
Hoping for the best this cycle.

I got that email too...Pretty sure it's referring to the last cycle. Class of 2024 starts this fall

My stats are about the same and I got a secondary from them. I'm also in the process of doing post-bacc work, and I'm constantly updating schools as my grades come in.
Hoping for the best this cycle.
Are you directly emailing them or just updating on your application?

Are you directly emailing them or just updating on your application?

So I called them and they said I can just email them the updates. For AACOMAS, the time period to update you app opens in Sep. i think, and I didn't want to wait that long. I want them to see my progress.

Does this school look for a specific GPA or MCAT score when giving interviews?

Hoping to hear from this school. Good Luck everyone :xf:

Primary Submitted: 7/10/20
Secondary Received: 7/10/20
Secondary Submitted: 7/12/20
Marked Complete and being reviewed for a possible interview invitation: 7/27/20

Primary Submitted: 7/10/20
Secondary Received: 7/10/20
Secondary Submitted: 7/12/20
Marked Complete and being reviewed for a possible interview invitation: 7/27/20

Did you receive an email today regarding your complete application or did you portal update to to reflect that?

Did you receive an email today regarding your complete application or did you portal update to to reflect that?
Both. I got an email saying I was complete and I checked my portal and it was updated to complete for everything

Oh wow, I have been complete for a while and I never got an email o_O

Does this school look for a specific GPA or MCAT score when giving interviews?
Not really but they do have a Pre-screen of a 3.2 GPA and MCAT of 496-498 from what I remember.