2020-2021 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there any group chats for the new accepted students?

Members don't see this ad.

How was your experience there?

I think the program for years 1-2 are solid. Idk if its the same now, but we used to do one big exam each month over everything, which is good practice for the board exams (as opposed to weekly exams some schools do).
Years 3-4 are dependent on which site you get. Some are better than others. Ultimately, if you put in effort you'll do well.

Passed all my board exams, got placed to my #1 residency (though it wasn't a competitive one), I passed my specialty board exam after residency. Have less debt now than some of my colleagues.

Most the things I didn't like had nothing to do with the curriculum, more so the location and things like that.

Overall, was a good experience. I got to where I want to be so I'd do it over again.

Reactions: 3 users
Received a call this morning as well and I’m still stunned!
Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the confirmation email after the call?
I was wondering the same thing. Lowkey kind of scared to start relaxing until I get the acceptance letter lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed the first week of December not heard back yet? I interviewed December 4th and haven’t heard anything yet

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed on the 4th as well. Still waiting for a reply. Hopefully, I get it in!!

Congratulations to everyone that applied and have been accepted so far. I haven’t really checked in on here since I got accepted so I saw some of the newer posts.
Like some of the other current students said, KYCOM and the city is what you make of it. You will need to have an open mind and not expect anything because COVID drastically affected not only this area but a lot of places.
I came from a big city and I was still able to find my friend group. My roommate and I bonded well and we have enjoyed every moment of our time there.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all,
Interviewed 12/1 and got the acceptance call this week. Is there an accepted students group on fb?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,
Interviewed 12/1 and got the acceptance call this week. Is there an accepted students group on fb?
FB? It’s 2020 old man, we use groupchats. I bet you backboard all of your trauma patients and push amps of D50 :rofl:

All joking aside I’d like to know if there’s a FB group too.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
There is a FB group for the class of 2025, but I received the link to it via email after I paid my deposit so you might have to do this before the admins will let you in?

Not sure, but you can search for it in facebook "KYCOM 2025" and request to join, maybe they'll let you in

Still waiting for a reply! Interviewed on the 4th.
Charlie Day Ok GIF

update: got an acceptance email! interviewed december 4th.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I got my phone call on Tuesday!!! I'm so excited!

Quick question- does anyone know if the deposit is a confirmation of enrollment, or is it a seat holder with final confirmation coming later?

Congrats everyone!

• Love
Hello, are there any current or former students willing to speak on the boards prep offered by KYCOM? Do you think you were adequately prepared for the COMLEX/USMLE?

Hello, are there any current or former students willing to speak on the boards prep offered by KYCOM? Do you think you were adequately prepared for the COMLEX/USMLE?
1st and 2nd year we got combank and kaplan. Combank sucks... kaplan is okay to supplement your learning but not the best for COMLEX/USMLE. Third year we got combank, which again sucks. With these resources alone, I would say that it would not be enough. You are better off buying the gold standard resources on your own and maybe use combank for omm portions of COMLEX.

1st and 2nd year we got combank and kaplan. Combank sucks... kaplan is okay to supplement your learning but not the best for COMLEX/USMLE. Third year we got combank, which again sucks. With these resources alone, I would say that it would not be enough. You are better off buying the gold standard resources on your own and maybe use combank for omm portions of COMLEX.
What do you suggest for boards prep? Were the resources offered by the school helpful in preparing for the block exams?

What do you suggest for boards prep? Were the resources offered by the school helpful in preparing for the block exams?
There is a lot of information on SDN/ step1 subreddit on what the current gold standard is. I used boards and beyond ms1 and ms2, pathoma and sketchy micro +/- pharm and path (depending on how visual of a learner you are) during ms2, and uworld during dedicated study time.

Your best resource, if you want to do well on the block exams, will always be the professor's lecture material, which may not always align with what is high-yield for boards.

There is a lot of information on SDN/ step1 subreddit on what the current gold standard is. I used boards and beyond ms1 and ms2, pathoma and sketchy micro +/- pharm and path (depending on how visual of a learner you are) during ms2, and uworld during dedicated study time.

Your best resource, if you want to do well on the block exams, will always be the professor's lecture material, which may not always align with what is high-yield for boards.
Thank you so much for your help

Does anyone know of any Halal food options nearby?
The last time I was in Pikeville at the end of my MS2 (May 2019) there were not any. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

I got my phone call on Tuesday!!! I'm so excited!

Quick question- does anyone know if the deposit is a confirmation of enrollment, or is it a seat holder with final confirmation coming later?

Congrats everyone!
Would love to know the answer to this as well! Thanks!

Is it too late to apply here?
mcat is 504 3.6 overall gpa. 2.7overall in my previous medical school (had to leave due to health reasons and needed more time than my leave of absence gave me

Is it too late to apply here?
mcat is 504 3.6 overall gpa. 2.7overall in my previous medical school (had to leave due to health reasons and needed more time than my leave of absence gave me
It's not too late until the deadline has passed and/or the seats are filled.

I wonder if they would tell me whether seats have been filled up if I called..
I highly doubt they've filled! Their secondary app deadline is Feb 2nd I believe. It feels just too early to have filled already. There's a lot of work to do immediately after the holidays with folks who gave their deposit in Dec and folks who declined their acceptance to give a deposit elsewhere. If you want to apply, do so. If you want to call and ask, do so. The staff has been extremely kind every time I have contacted them. ❤️

Does anyone know how the curriculum is set up? I.e. problem based, lecture based, self-directed, etc. Also could a current student post a picture of a sample schedule of what a week may look like? I’m curious as to how many days and hours per week are spent in a classroom. Thanks.

Does anyone know how the curriculum is set up? I.e. problem based, lecture based, self-directed, etc. Also could a current student post a picture of a sample schedule of what a week may look like? I’m curious as to how many days and hours per week are spent in a classroom. Thanks.
Here’s a link to the handbook while you wait for actual student feedback (if you’re interested - it helped me out, personally):

Can any current OMS 3 or 4 comment on the rotations at KYCOM? I've heard that they aren't the greatest and that 4th years have to schedule their own

Can any current OMS 3 or 4 comment on the rotations at KYCOM? I've heard that they aren't the greatest and that 4th years have to schedule their own
Hi there, Im a 4th year. Rotations can be incredibly confusing for all so Im going to do my best to break it down as much as I can. Your 3rd year you will have CORE rotations. These are the main rotations for the main specialties (OB, surgery, IM, Family, Pediatrics, etc.). The school has a list of sites (including PMC in Pikeville) that you can choose from. Some people like to be closer to their home for 3rd and 4th year, others choose to stay closer to school, so that part is up to you. The only time that gets to be a sticky situation is if more people want to attend that site over the allotted number that site will take. If that happens, you go to lottery and people draw numbers to see who gets that site. Those who don't, go to a different site. After you finish those core rotations you will take level 2 boards. Your 4th year you complete Selectives and Electives. The selectives are things like Emergency Medicine, Rural Medicine, OPP (osteopathic medicine), a Subspecialty (Cardiology, nephrology, Radiology, Anesthesia, etc). The school dictates that you take these but the specialty is up to you. You can do these at your original core site. The rest of the Electives are there for you to choose what you want to do so that you can set yourself up nicely for Residency. You can rotate anywhere you want and set those places up yourself or get help from the school to set them up. This lets you be specific and get the most experience. Its not a bad plan tbh and most schools do it this way from my experience. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask:)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Most is lecture based mixed with problem based. Your first 2 years are in class and its Mon-Friday with most days ending around 3. Your first year there are 2 different labs (Anatomy and OPP for first semester and Neuro and OPP the second). I think the link that was provided goes through all the curriculum:)

Hey y'all. I've declined my offer of admission; hope it goes to one of you fine folks. Thanks for always listening and commiserating with me <3

• Care
Got a call Nov 7th, called back, haven't been able to reach anyone... Got another call last week to call back later to set something up, then heard nothing/no answer? Does anyone know what is happening here?
How are you guys getting your interview invites? I can't seem to reach anyone in admissions... Are they understaffed/out with COVID?

Got a call Nov 7th, called back, haven't been able to reach anyone... Got another call last week to call back later to set something up, then heard nothing/no answer? Does anyone know what is happening here?
How are you guys getting your interview invites? I can't seem to reach anyone in admissions... Are they understaffed/out with COVID?
I was called and emailed for mine in October. =/ Hard to say what's happening right now with everything being so crazy.

II today! Does anyone have any interview tips? For those who interviewed, can you talk about what interview day was like? Thanks!

Last edited:
II today! Does anyone have any interview tips? For those who interviewed, can you talk about what interview day was like? Thanks!
Super chill interview. 45-60 mins I believe with 2 people. I had a FM doc and a biochem faculty. Conversational, open file but nothing was a curveball. Read SDN questions but at the least be able to answer Why DO/Pikeville/Medicine.

• Love

Second what csmith55 said, in that you should read the SDN interview questions for KYCOM. If you have any red flags on your app, be ready to explain them, but otherwise VERY chill. You'll receive an email containing short bios of your two interviewers, and be prepared to ask some questions pertaining to their interests/the school's program.

• Love
Super chill interview. 45-60 mins I believe with 2 people. I had a FM doc and a biochem faculty. Conversational, open file but nothing was a curveball. Read SDN questions but at the least be able to answer Why DO/Pikeville/Medicine.

Second what csmith55 said, in that you should read the SDN interview questions for KYCOM. If you have any red flags on your app, be ready to explain them, but otherwise VERY chill. You'll receive an email containing short bios of your two interviewers, and be prepared to ask some questions pertaining to their interests/the school's program.

Can confirm that mine was the same!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about the interview. Was also wondering about the turnaround time for decision after the interview. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about the interview. Was also wondering about the turnaround time for decision after the interview. Thanks!
It took a week for me, but others on the thread have waited longer. Just depends on when they're meeting. :) Good luck!!!

• Care
They took two weeks to get back to me

Been complete since mid September and have not heard anything back yet. Is this their way of telling me I will not receive an interview?

• Care