2020-2021 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Southern California (Keck)

Members don't see this ad.

For the first question (What is the most fun you've had lately?), how far back does "lately" mean? Would like 1.5 years ago count?

Reactions: 1 users
For the first question (What is the most fun you've had lately?), how far back does "lately" mean? Would like 1.5 years ago count?

you could probably talk about whatever you want tbh

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure they don't really care about the distance as long as it is still significant to you. They want to learn about what kind of person you are and what is fun to you. If it is still significant to you, I say go for it, whether its a month, a year, or however long.

I wonder if they'll end up changing this question to make it more Covid friendly lmao

How long are your guys' 3-5 sentences? I've been using a lot of punctuations and things to make complex sentences and I realize my character counts are getting pretty high, which I'm not sure is a good thing.

How long are your guys' 3-5 sentences? I've been using a lot of punctuations and things to make complex sentences and I realize my character counts are getting pretty high, which I'm not sure is a good thing.
The only one I've done is about 450 characters including spaces, 4 sentences. I think the rest will be about the same, it doesn't feel too long to me but that's just based on a feeling

Shortest: 220. Longest: 770.

Any current students available to answer questions?

Any current students available to answer questions?
I'm not a current student, but I was accepted here last cycle. Let me know if there's anything I can answer for you about the process :)

Reactions: 1 user
Received, IS

The following questions allow the Admissions Committee to become acquainted with you as an individual. Please answer the questions in 3-5 sentences.

What is the most fun you’ve had lately?

If you had to give yourself a nickname, what would it be?

If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?

Describe a situation in which you didn’t get something you felt you deserved.

Essay

What do you see as the physician's role in Public Health?
Please answer the question in 150 words or less.

Optional: Is there anything else you would like us to know?
If yes, please answer the question in 200 words or less.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone having trouble accessing the login page? The link provided in the secondary invite email is taking me to an invalid page
I was at first. Try copying and pasting

Reactions: 3 users
+2, OOS, International, Canadian

Does the pic need to be in button-up or suit and tie?

I wore a suit and took my picture outside with a nice camera. I would recommend dressing nicely, so a button-up would be fine, and taking it against a plain background.

keck doesn't specify what letters they want, so i'm thinking of not using one of my science professors. do you guys think that's a bad idea?

I have no idea how serious I should be with some of these answers :dead: (talking about the fun time one and the nickname one)Are they looking for something in particular?

I have no idea how serious I should be with some of these answers :dead: (talking about the fun time one and the nickname one)Are they looking for something in particular?

One thing I would say is not to flex your credentials about medicine or how "altruistic" you are as a person. That would just be annoying. Be yourself and have fun.

• Love
So I had originally wrote a why keck essay for my additional information essay; but I realized they don't have a gay year essay. Should I put in my gap year essay instead or should I let them know about that separately through an update letter?

So I had originally wrote a why keck essay for my additional information essay; but I realized they don't have a gay year essay. Should I put in my gap year essay instead or should I let them know about that separately through an update letter?
Try making it both!! Integrate your perspective on your gap year and why what you are doing will fit in to the mission of the school.

Do we need a tie for the professional photo? I have a blazer and a dress shirt is that enough?

Anyone have ideas about letters of recommendation? I submitted the secondary but it's saying that LOR's haven't been received and I don't know how to resolve this- AMCAS is saying they've been sent.

Anyone have ideas about letters of recommendation? I submitted the secondary but it's saying that LOR's haven't been received and I don't know how to resolve this- AMCAS is saying they've been sent.

Might take some time for processing. Have other schools to which you’ve applied confirmed the letters’ receipt?

how are ppl anwering the role in public health q? Im struggling to say anything that doesn't sound geneneric aff ...:/

Mine says the same thing too but under "Document status" it says received on 7/10. so I don't get it..

Mine says the same thing too but under "Document status" it says received on 7/10. so I don't get it..
Mine got fixed this morning after I submitted. Apparently, there's a 1 business day delay between when you submit your secondary and when they receive and/or download your letters of recommendation. But as long as you can see your recommenders' names that means that they will get your letters after you submit your secondary automatically- there isn't anything extra you need to do.

Mine got fixed this morning after I submitted. Apparently, there's a 1 business day delay between when you submit your secondary and when they receive and/or download your letters of recommendation. But as long as you can see your recommenders' names that means that they will get your letters after you submit your secondary automatically- there isn't anything extra you need to do.
Just checked, mine was completed too! Thanks for replying!!

Anyone having trouble uploading the photo? When I click save it disappears

Submitted and complete, Best of luck to everyone!

does anyone have any idea if they favor a particular type of letter? Leaning towards my 3 that correspond with "most meaningful" but none of those are profs who taught me/I'm not positive how good one of them is :/

does anyone have any idea if they favor a particular type of letter? Leaning towards my 3 that correspond with "most meaningful" but none of those are profs who taught me/I'm not positive how good one of them is :/

I asked if they had a preference between 3 academic letters, or 2 academic + 1 physician letter, and they said:
We do not have a preference in regards to your letters of recommendation. We urge applicants to choose letter writers who will provide the most compelling endorsement of their character and ability.

That said... it's hard for me to imagine that they don't want any academic recommendations. I could be wrong, though – not an adcom.

As someone who interviewed at Keck last year, I would strongly advise that no one writes a "why Keck?" response. Dean Arias specifically talked to us at the interview about how much she hates that question, and that she knows the real answer is "it's a large research institution in Los Angeles with great weather outside".

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
As someone who interviewed at Keck last year, I would strongly advise that no one writes a "why Keck?" response. Dean Arias specifically talked to us at the interview about how much she hates that question, and that she knows the real answer is "it's a large research institution in Los Angeles with great weather outside".
This is the real pro-tip! ;);)

This is the real pro-tip! ;);)

Haha swapped apps with someone on Reddit who did this so I thought I'd run here and warn everyone. She also HATES update letters. To quote her "Do not send me an update letter no matter what. If you get published in Cell, I'm very proud of you. Just don't tell me."

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Any reapplicants here writing a response to the question, "Have you ever previously applied to any medical school ( M.D. , D.O., international)? (Yes/No) Give us your insights from this experience?"

How are you approaching this?

Any reapplicants here writing a response to the question, "Have you ever previously applied to any medical school ( M.D. , D.O., international)? (Yes/No) Give us your insights from this experience?"

How are you approaching this?

I'm really unsure of how to approach it. It almost sounds like a reapplicant essay but then it sounds like they want to know about your experience from previous cycles?

Haha swapped apps with someone on Reddit who did this so I thought I'd run here and warn everyone. She also HATES update letters. To quote her "Do not send me an update letter no matter what. If you get published in Cell, I'm very proud of you. Just don't tell me."
That's so crazy to me. A dean of another medical school told me that for her she appreciates any information that will point the admissions committee in the right direction. Each dean likes something different I guess!

Do you advise against writing a why USC even if you have strong ties to LA and the area? Does putting a gap-year essay seem better?