2020-2021 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the preview day, definitely take a look at the weather before you go out. I had a jacket but didn't need it since the day was super nice. Although, at night it did get cold

Members don't see this ad.

Also, go to Sugar Bean if you get a chance! Opposite side of the island, but I went on the recommendation of a few of the current students and it was delicious.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the preview day, definitely take a look at the weather before you go out. I had a jacket but didn't need it since the day was super nice. Although, at night it did get cold
Were you allowed to bring 1 person to preview day, or did you have to be alone?

Can someone who has went to the preview day share some info on the COVID safety precautions that were taken?

Can someone who has went to the preview day share some info on the COVID safety precautions that were taken?
Great question. So I went in December and they capped the number of admitted students present. So maybe 20-30 max? For the presentations, we sat in a rather large (think the size of a football field) and there were only three to four of us allowed at each table.
During the tours of the facilities, the groups were capped to 4-6 students as well. Mandatory masks all day. Hope that helped

Reactions: 2 users
I know UTMB’s medical school isn’t ranked since they don’t share their data but does anyone know how the school holds up compared to other schools? Is it considered a top tier school or a lower tier school?

Reactions: 1 user
I know UTMB’s medical school isn’t ranked since they don’t share their data but does anyone know how the school holds up compared to other schools? Is it considered a top tier school or a lower tier school?
So as far as Texas schools go, there's some mixed opinions and these are a bit arguable, but top tier would be UTSW, Baylor, next rung Long, McGovern, next rung Dell, UTMB, A&M, Tech, next PLFSOM and TCOM, then UTRGV, TCU-UNT, and UHCOM finally SHSU and UIW. People can feel totally free to disagree with me or correct me. I do not claim to be an expert, but that's roughly how I see them.

Last edited:
So as far as Texas schools go, there's some mixed opinions and these are a bit arguable, but top tier would be UTSW, Baylor, next rung Long, McGovern, next rung Dell, UTMB, A&M, Tech, next PLFSOM and TCOM, then UTRGV, TCU-UNT, finally SHSU and UIW. People can feel totally free to disagree with me or correct me. I do not claim to be an expert, but that's roughly how I see them.
your ladder has a lot of rungs!

• Haha
So as far as Texas schools go, there's some mixed opinions and these are a bit arguable, but top tier would be UTSW, Baylor, next rung Long, McGovern, next rung Dell, UTMB, A&M, Tech, next PLFSOM and TCOM, then UTRGV, TCU-UNT, and UHCOM finally SHSU and UIW. People can feel totally free to disagree with me or correct me. I do not claim to be an expert, but that's roughly how I see them.
not sure I agree with the way you have ranked this. I would say UTSW and Baylor are correct, but after that, I would say Dell (potential to go up or down), McGovern, Long, UTMB, A&M, and then Tech, PLFSOM, UTRGV, TCU-UNT, and then TCOM, UHCOM (very early to gauge), SHSU, & UIW.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

not sure I agree with the way you have ranked this. I would say UTSW and Baylor are correct, but after that, I would say Dell (potential to go up or down), McGovern, Long, UTMB, A&M, and then Tech, PLFSOM, UTRGV, TCU-UNT, and then TCOM, UHCOM (very early to gauge), SHSU, & UIW.
Why are y'all ranking Long over UTMB If you don't mind my asking

Why are y'all ranking Long over UTMB If you don't mind my asking
I'm not ranking Long over UTMB. I might actually rank UTMB over Long. I was just saying they're in a similar tier in my opinion. Not a huge difference if you were to graduate from McGovern, Long, UTMB, & A&M

Last edited:
I'd definitely put UTMB in the same class as Long and McGovern, worst location of the three but they're highly reputable with a lot of research activity

Also I'm surprised to see Dell rank so high for most people, they're still really new. They must have succeeded at making the flagship UT school really competitive. I've heard it be called a "boutique" med school though I really don't know what that means haha. I do know they look for applicants who want to "rock the boat" in medicine so to speak

I'd definitely put UTMB in the same class as Long and McGovern, worst location of the three but they're highly reputable with a lot of research activity

Also I'm surprised to see Dell rank so high for most people, they're still really new. They must have succeeded at making the flagship UT school really competitive. I've heard it be called a "boutique" med school though I really don't know what that means haha. I do know they look for applicants who want to "rock the boat" in medicine so to speak
They look really interesting, but I think the pre- secondary rejection between us is mutual. They are very mission driven and that mission has almost nothing to do with my "Why medicine?" They want to focus on technology, innovation, engineering, telemedicine, while I want to take what we know and go serve underserved communities, although I'm not sure if that's rural, on the border, or globally. Thank God there are people in the world that want to advance medicine in those ways, but that's not me. Still, what they are doing is wonderful. I volunteered with a few of their medical students in COVID contact tracing and they are absolute rockstars.

Were you allowed to bring 1 person to preview day, or did you have to be alone?
I did see a few students bring someone along, one person in my tour group even brought her mother and she was able to take the tour with us; but all-together there was only about 6-7 plus-ones.

I would agree with UTSW and Baylor at the top, but I'd have UTMB along with Long and McGovern on that second level. Main reason is because of the pedigree and status that UTMB has throughout the medical world. For most of the doctors that i've spoken to/worked with over the past 8-9 years that are from all over the states they consider UTMB a higher-end school because of the history and "legend" status. Of course if we're just ranking TMDSAS schools Baylor wouldn't be in the mix, but I would definitely say that UTMB is up there next to McGovern and Long.

Reactions: 7 users
Is there hope to match if you haven't gotten a prematch and interviewed very early in the cycle?

Reactions: 4 users
They look really interesting, but I think the pre- secondary rejection between us is mutual. They are very mission driven and that mission has almost nothing to do with my "Why medicine?" They want to focus on technology, innovation, engineering, telemedicine, while I want to take what we know and go serve underserved communities, although I'm not sure if that's rural, on the border, or globally. Thank God there are people in the world that want to advance medicine in those ways, but that's not me. Still, what they are doing is wonderful. I volunteered with a few of their medical students in COVID contact tracing and they are absolute rockstars.
Hi, I’m new to Sdn but I saw this and wanted to put in my input from what I’ve seen from Dell. I’ve been fortunate to receive an interview and my whole “Why Medicine?” was about bridging healthcare disparities between certain communities. I definitely think a huge thing Dell wants to accomplish goes far beyond improving technology. Many faculty and students there talk highly about their passion to improve health equity. Anyways, this is a UTMB forum so I won’t gush too much about Dell here(,: Good luck to everyone as interview season closes out.

Reactions: 4 users
I recently received a certification in healthcare management and Im wondering how best to let UTMB know. Would it be preferred to do an updated resume with this certification included (I'm just wary because the only difference would be that one certification, other than that my resume would be the same) or would uploading the certificate pdf on in own be advisable? Now that I'm writing this, I'm thinking maybe doing both would be the way to go... any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently received a certification in healthcare management and Im wondering how best to let UTMB know. Would it be preferred to do an updated resume with this certification included (I'm just wary because the only difference would be that one certification, other than that my resume would be the same) or would uploading the certificate pdf on in own be advisable? Now that I'm writing this, I'm thinking maybe doing both would be the way to go... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wait until others give their opinion but a certification is just another class. And it’s not even a class from a college so you can’t update your tmdsas with it. If you haven’t used the certification yet in the real world then it’s not worth an update because you can’t even talk about it.

Wait until others give their opinion but a certification is just another class. And it’s not even a class from a college so you can’t update your tmdsas with it. If you haven’t used the certification yet in the real world then it’s not worth an update because you can’t even talk about it.
Thank you!

Anyone thinking that there will be a prematch wave this Friday? Y'all I drove to the UTMB campus yesterday after work and prayed 😭

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Anyone thinking that there will be a prematch wave this Friday? Y'all I drove to the UTMB campus yesterday after work and prayed 😭
I did this at Texas Tech in Lubbock two weekends ago! 😩

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
lol been doing much of the same....totally feel this and I hope some miracle on match day helps out all of us haha

UTMB just seems so controversial this year lol

How has UTMB been controversial this year? Did something bad happen that I missed?

I don't mean that literally. But the amount of discussion on this forum tops any other TX school this cycle...part of that has to do with the high amount of prematches reported here which is giving a lot of us anxiety and it's getting impossible to predict our chances on the match

I don't mean that literally. But the amount of discussion on this forum tops any other TX school this cycle...part of that has to do with the high amount of prematches reported here which is giving a lot of us anxiety and it's getting impossible to predict our chances on the match
That makes sense, thank you for clarifying

Though it is hard to say if they’ve given out a significant number of prematches versus having had a more frequent number of Prematch waves. I say this being the neurotic premed that I am, and having checked their fb class pages which don’t show too many members in comparison with other schools at current.. though I have my doubts about the validity of checking this

Though it is hard to say if they’ve given out a significant number of prematches versus having had a more frequent number of Prematch waves. I say this being the neurotic premed that I am, and having checked their fb class pages which don’t show too many members in comparison with other schools at current.. though I have my doubts about the validity of checking this
I discussed this topic several weeks ago on this forum, but I'll revise my explanation here for clarity.

I think UTMB probably decided to go with weekly prematch waves this year, perhaps to make it more convenient due to the pandemic. If I had to guess, they probably gave a handful of offers in each weekly wave as opposed to just picking 4 random dates last cycle and giving out a larger number of offers per wave (as is the norm for other schools). The net effect of either strategy is the same number of offers given out, though it seems that UTMB is giving out more offers this cycle for some reason. My guess is more people are willing to share their good news this cycle so the total number of offers shouldn't change compared to last year.

Having said all this, the FB group has at least 270 people now and by my estimates, if you exclude admins and current med students and factor in some arbitrary number of new admits that don't use FB, I'm inclined to believe that UTMB has sent enough prematches to fill a class size of 230, give or take some spots here and there. There definitely will be match movement this cycle of course and nothing is set in stone for a long time. However, when I'm seeing US News report 494 IS offers, I'm not able to mathematically see how this is possible since we use a match process, though 494 seems like a plausible number for a mid-tier state school nonetheless. Anyone have insight here?

Hello! I recently got into UTMB; accepted around 01/09. I hear everyone speaking about the UTMB facebook page, preview day, and even a UTMB email. However, I am not sure where to find any of that information. Can someone direct me on how to make an email/ check when preview day is? I don't think I received an email to either. TIA!

I discussed this topic several weeks ago on this forum, but I'll revise my explanation here for clarity.

I think UTMB probably decided to go with weekly prematch waves this year, perhaps to make it more convenient due to the pandemic. If I had to guess, they probably gave a handful of offers in each weekly wave as opposed to just picking 4 random dates last cycle and giving out a larger number of offers per wave (as is the norm for other schools). The net effect of either strategy is the same number of offers given out, though it seems that UTMB is giving out more offers this cycle for some reason. My guess is more people are willing to share their good news this cycle so the total number of offers shouldn't change compared to last year.

Having said all this, the FB group has at least 270 people now and by my estimates, if you exclude admins and current med students and factor in some arbitrary number of new admits that don't use FB, I'm inclined to believe that UTMB has sent enough prematches to fill a class size of 230, give or take some spots here and there. There definitely will be match movement this cycle of course and nothing is set in stone for a long time. However, when I'm seeing US News report 494 IS offers, I'm not able to mathematically see how this is possible since we use a match process, though 494 seems like a plausible number for a mid-tier state school nonetheless. Anyone have insight here?
I do believe they make ~494 IS offers and I think @wysdoc has noted that this includes matches and WL movement. I’m under the impression that it is probably the case of what you said of UTMB (along with most other schools) to tend to send out more acceptances than they do seats, especially since it’s possible and expected that at least some portion of their Prematches will rank other schools above UTMB.

Hello! I recently got into UTMB; accepted around 01/09. I hear everyone speaking about the UTMB facebook page, preview day, and even a UTMB email. However, I am not sure where to find any of that information. Can someone direct me on how to make an email/ check when preview day is? I don't think I received an email to either. TIA!
Hey, congrats on your acceptance! We haven’t received UTMB emails yet, the Facebook page just asked us for it in order to join and I put something along the lines of “I haven’t received my email yet and I prematched on x date.” There are only two preview dates left: January 30 and Feb 13. The deadline to register for the 30th was on the 22nd, so I think your only option is the 13th and the deadline to register for that is on Feb 5th! Lastly, I think most of us were invited to the Facebook page via email, but I know some people never got it/saw it, so if you want me to send you the link or invite you or something, just let me know! I hope this helps!

Hey, congrats on your acceptance! We haven’t received UTMB emails yet, the Facebook page just asked us for it in order to join and I put something along the lines of “I haven’t received my email yet and I prematched on x date.” There are only two preview dates left: January 30 and Feb 13. The deadline to register for the 30th was on the 22nd, so I think your only option is the 13th and the deadline to register for that is on Feb 5th! Lastly, I think most of us were invited to the Facebook page via email, but I know some people never got it/saw it, so if you want me to send you the link or invite you or something, just let me know! I hope this helps!
Thanks for all the information! I did join a FB page, but not sure if it is the right one. Maybe you can still invite me or send me the link to make sure! Also I was curious as to where the preview day registration information is.... Is it in the AMP portal or should I have gotten an email? Sorry I have lots of questions haha

How useful was the preview day? Mine is on Saturday and I dont think I want to risk exposing myself especially since im staying with family afterwards. Heavily considering to not go.

How useful was the preview day? Mine is on Saturday and I dont think I want to risk exposing myself especially since im staying with family afterwards. Heavily considering to not go.
Most of it is just the tour tbh and talking to medical students. They also do an example PBL case so you can see how you will be learning the first two years (I thought it was interesting). I think it's useful if you wanna see if you can envision yourself living there for four years and if you want to see the facilities in person. The med students also talked about their experiences and answered a lot of our questions on the tours thru the hospital and other buildings. I really got a feel for how the environment was there. I thought it was really fun and they did their best to make it as safe as possible, but don't feel obligated to go if you feel unsafe. I dont think its useful if you already have your mind set on another school though. They have the tour video online ()

This is why I wish I was in JAMP..we would know already

I thought it was really helpful. It sold me on UTMB. In addition of seeing the campus, you get a feel for the students & culture there. You get to see some of your future classmates as well which is a plus