2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread is real quiet! Anyone else interview on Saturday (12/12)? Nervously awaiting Friday lol
Interviewed as well! Already accepted and put a deposit down for KCU. I’m not sure what I’ll do if I were to get accepted here. Even though I’m from Oregon idk if it’s enough of a reason for $10,000+ extra per year for tuition alone

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Core sites include: Portland, Salem, Tacoma, Corvallis/Albany/Lebanon, Eugene, Roseburg

So good mix of both. And as far as whether you complete all your cores in one location... that’s obviously the hope and some people are lucky in that everything works out for them that way. But for most people you’re traveling for at least one month, but oftentimes there’s extra bedrooms or couches you can stay on.
All of this is true, not a 3/4th year but I just went through the rotations lottery as a 2nd year. Core Site also include Medford/Northern California and Bend too. As a class we come together and chose rotations, almost everyone got their first choice.

All of this is true, not a 3/4th year but I just went through the rotations lottery as a 2nd year. Core Site also include Medford/Northern California and Bend too. As a class we come together and chose rotations, almost everyone got their first choice.

I knew there was some I was forgetting!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed as well! Already accepted and put a deposit down for KCU. I’m not sure what I’ll do if I were to get accepted here. Even though I’m from Oregon idk if it’s enough of a reason for $10,000+ extra per year for tuition alone
Congrats on your acceptance already! After listening to the students and faculty I loved COMP-NW 10x more so I really am hoping for that A!

Reactions: 2 users
Trying to stay cool 😎 about hearing back today but 😬😬😬😬😂

• Haha
Congratulations 🎊 welcome to the family!

• Love
Unfortunately got placed as an alternate. Can someone please explain to me the difference between this and the wait list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alt list! Honestly was expecting an R, did not feel good coming out of the interview, not sure if I’ll keep my spot of give it up since I have an acceptance elsewhere. congrats to all who got the A!

Unfortunately got placed as an alternate. Can someone please explain to me the difference between this and the wait list?
COMP and COMPNW’s alternate list is other schools wait list so the words can be used interchangeably at this point in the cycle. What I will mention is in the last few years after the last couple interviews Western has done a highly ranked waitlist of students they would have offered an acceptance if there was a spot open. So in this case the highly ranked waitlist would be above the alternate list but this waitlist is not a for sure thing and there have been years that they didn’t have to utilize that list. At this point in the cycle too the class isn’t full and the only list right now is the alternate list. Hope that clears things up

Anyone know if there’s a FB group for class of 2025? Excited to meet y’all!
Facebook group isn’t made until April/May 2021, once the class list is nearly finalized. You will receive an email once it’s made and told how to join.

A last night! What a delight! I was so impressed with what students said during my interview, and felt like the interview process was the most "human" of any I've been through so far. So happy!!

Reactions: 1 users
My app completed in late Sep/early Oct. Already did an interview at COMP, but still haven’t heard anything from the COMP-NW campus. Do people historically only get one interview from them or do they operate separately? Not sure if I should start worrying.

My app completed in late Sep/early Oct. Already did an interview at COMP, but still haven’t heard anything from the COMP-NW campus. Do people historically only get one interview from them or do they operate separately? Not sure if I should start worrying.
They operate separately. If you are accepted and pay a deposit at one, however, you automatically withdraw your app from the other. I did not receive an interview from Pomona before paying my deposit here

I have been complete since the beginning of Sep, but haven't heard back. Should I be expecting an R?
They said they had a 20% increase in applications this year compared to last (~4800 vs. 4000). Don't expect an R quite yet, things may just be delayed

To those accepted, do you know where we can find information on the deadline to accept/ decline? I didn't see it on the letter. Is it just before the first deposit is due?

To those accepted, do you know where we can find information on the deadline to accept/ decline? I didn't see it on the letter. Is it just before the first deposit is due?
It should be on the portal. I was accepted on 12/18 and my first deposit is due 1/31 and my second one due 2/28.

Facebook group isn’t made until April/May 2021, once the class list is nearly finalized. You will receive an email once it’s made and told how to join.
I am in the alternate list. Do you think I can send a LOI and expect better results knowing this is my 1st choice?

Does anyone know if they accept update letters pre-II?

Does anyone know if they accept update letters pre-II?
I wrote a letter of interest pre-II, got a II a week later and now I’m a 2nd year;-) ... I am always an advocate of actually calling the school, speaking to Shauna or Donna and asking these questions. We received way more applications this year and any way you can increase your name recognition is a +

Reactions: 4 users
Has anybody gone to Pre-Interview Ambassador Social? Is there a dress code that everyone was in?

Has anybody gone to Pre-Interview Ambassador Social? Is there a dress code that everyone was in?
No dress code is required. I literally had on a suit, saw people wearing normal clothes, then changed really quick to a polo with my camera off lol

Reactions: 1 users
Is it worth going to these?

I missed the first one due to a conflict but the last one on financial aid was helpful, though mighty depressing. I do wish they had more resources for 1st years!

• Wow
I missed the first one due to a conflict but the last one on financial aid was helpful, though mighty depressing. I do wish they had more resources for 1st years!
Agreed! The financial aid meeting was helpful and depressing. I am going to the ISAC meeting tomorrow since I am interested in it.

Last edited:
Anyone know if they are still sending out Interview Invites or if the class is full? I submitted my secondary in July but havent heard anything and this is my top choice so my fingers (and toes) are crossed, but it seems like a long shot at this point. Luckily I have other acceptances, but I love COMP NW's programs and rural setting.. Sent in an update letter because of new research and volunteer experiences as well as grades to report last week hoping that helps!

Anyone know if they are still sending out Interview Invites or if the class is full? I submitted my secondary in July but havent heard anything and this is my top choice so my fingers (and toes) are crossed, but it seems like a long shot at this point. Luckily I have other acceptances, but I love COMP NW's programs and rural setting.. Sent in an update letter because of new research and volunteer experiences as well as grades to report last week hoping that helps!

Same situation here. Losing hope but the door isn’t closed just yet!

Just wondering but would submitting a secondary this late be futile? My app was apparently good enough to get an II at the Pomona campus, but I submitted that secondary in Sept. Finances prevented me from submitting additional apps after Sept unfortunately.

I am hoping to have Bend as my core site for clinical rotations. Could someone speak to the likelihood of getting Bend as your core and also anybody who is doing their rotations there, what it is like? Is it lots of travel? If you don't want to post here hit me up with a PM!

Just wondering but would submitting a secondary this late be futile? My app was apparently good enough to get an II at the Pomona campus, but I submitted that secondary in Sept. Finances prevented me from submitting additional apps after Sept unfortunately.
I personally would hold off on sending a secondary now. I feel like it is pretty late in the cycle. However, I am not sure how far out they are and you may want to email the admissions team for advice if this is your top choice. I hope your Pomona interview went well though!

I think it's a little late, I'm not sure how many more interviews we have this year.. In previous years Feb was their last month to interview, but may be different with virtual interviews... I have zero insight on how many interviews are left this year..

I am hoping to have Bend as my core site for clinical rotations. Could someone speak to the likelihood of getting Bend as your core and also anybody who is doing their rotations there, what it is like? Is it lots of travel? If you don't want to post here hit me up with a PM!
Bend is highly sought out. I will say that if you have family over there or some connection to the area, it is a little bit easier to get the rotation. There are 8-9 spots in Bend and every year there are more people who want Bend then spots. Remember, when you select rotation sites you are working with your fellow classmates and if you have a legit reason for being in a certain area than most of your classmates will recognize that and work with you. That goes for all core sites. It hasn't came down to the lottery vote in years, students have worked together to make all the sites and rotations work out together. I will say that right now all but one rotation is in Bend, but the can and probably will change. I would say Bend is one of the most consistent locations... More people want to stay in Corvallis/Albany/Lebanon area (about 30 spots) and Portland (30-40 spots), but Bend is pretty cool

Last edited:
I'm going to Bend next year (for 3rd year). I will say that if you have family over there or some connection to the area, it is a little bit easier to get the rotation, but Bend is highly sought out. There are 8-9 spots in Bend and every year there are more people who want Bend then spots. Remember, when you select rotation sites you are working with your fellow classmates and if you have a legit reason for being in a certain area than most of your classmates will recognize that and work with you. That goes for all core sites. It hasn't came down to the lottery vote in years, students have worked together to make all the sites and rotations work out together. I will say that right now all but one rotation is in Bend. I would say Bend is one of the most consistent locations... I do have rotations in Redmond, but that's not too far. More people want to stay in Corvallis/Albany/Lebanon area (about 30 spots) and Portland (30-40 spots), but Bend is much cooler than all those places ;)
Thank you for explaining this. Just curious, why is Bend highly sought out? I'm not familiar with the area.

I think it's a little late, I'm not sure how many more interviews we have this year.. In previous years Feb was their last month to interview, but may be different with virtual interviews... I have zero insight on how many interviews are left this year..
During the Class Klatch, they had mentioned that they are interviewing until April so might have some more time!

Thank you for explaining this. Just curious, why is Bend highly sought out? I'm not familiar with the area.
Bend is the epicenter of outdoor activities in Oregon.. It’s surrounded by lakes, mountains, rivers and really if you can imagine doing it, Bend probably has it. Plus 260ish days of sun a year (Lebs 160 max) helps🤣

Last edited:

On the website, I don't see Eugene listed as a rotation site? Can you please explain what rotation opportunities are available in the Eugene area (core and elective)?