2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had my interview today, and I think it just went ok. I scrambled a little on some of the questions šŸ˜„ anyone else interview today?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed today! I was the one that spotted Mike Tyson at the gym! Iā€™m sure you did great! Itā€™s too easy to pick out all the things you couldā€™ve done differently! You will be getting the call here soon, I am sure!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Had my interview today, and I think it just went ok. I scrambled a little on some of the questions šŸ˜„ anyone else interview today?
I interviewed today as well. Honestly, don't even stress about what went wrong or what could've gone better because it's over now and you can't change what you said in the interview haha! Destress and try to focus your thoughts somewhere else! Hoping for good news in a few weeks for all of us!:giggle:

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed today! I was the one that spotted Mike Tyson at the gym! Iā€™m sure you did great! Itā€™s too easy to pick out all the things you couldā€™ve done differently! You will be getting the call here soon, I am sure!
I was literally (professionally) lol'ing at that story

any idea when people on the waitlist will start getting acceptances?

Anyone know how long it takes to get your school email after paying the deposit?

Anyone know how long it takes to get your school email after paying the deposit?
Pretty quick I think. When I checked my portal a few days after my deposit, I saw there was info about creating the westernu account, so just keep an eye on your portal.

Any movement from the alternate list yet?

Any movement from the alternate list yet?
They told me theyā€™ll start pulling from the alternate list in May when I emailed and asked. I think they plan to interview throughout April and then come May people start committing to schools and there may be some movement off the alternate list

I had my interview last week, and wanted to share something by way of a heads-up: fully half of my interview was expected to be me asking questions of the committee. Come prepared!

Could a current student or someone that knows more about the clinical years talk about the 4th year and how much traveling we will be doing and how much time we will still be in our core rotation site? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
Could a current student or someone that knows more about the clinical years talk about the 4th year and how much traveling we will be doing and how much time we will still be in our core rotation site? Thanks in advance
4th year here. Do you want to know about both clinical years? Or just 4th year? Both are variable...

4th year here. Do you want to know about both clinical years? Or just 4th year? Both are variable.
I am mainly interested about the 4th year because the school made it seem like the 3rd year you're mainly at your core rotation site and don't have to travel very much where as the 4th year you could be essentially living out of your suitcase.

I am mainly interested about the 4th year because the school made it seem like the 3rd year you're mainly at your core rotation site and don't have to travel very much where as the 4th year you could be essentially living out of your suitcase.
Got it. Well it really depends on your specialty and if youā€™re in the middle of a pandemic. Youā€™ll do audition(s) in the fall of course. But your only required rotations are EM, residency selective (basically an audition), and a sub-I in either medicine or surgery. Aside from that you just have electives which can be in anything. I was able to stay fairly close to my home base outside of when I chose to travel for a couple specific electives.
And as far as staying in your core area for third year... again depends on the area and if a particular specialty is even available in that area. For anonymity reasons I wonā€™t say what area I was in, but I can tell you I didnā€™t have to travel a ton but there were some that did have to travel a fair amount. All depends

Got it. Well it really depends on your specialty and if youā€™re in the middle of a pandemic. Youā€™ll do audition(s) in the fall of course. But your only required rotations are EM, residency selective (basically an audition), and a sub-I in either medicine or surgery. Aside from that you just have electives which can be in anything. I was able to stay fairly close to my home base outside of when I chose to travel for a couple specific electives.
And as far as staying in your core area for third year... again depends on the area and if a particular specialty is even available in that area. For anonymity reasons I wonā€™t say what area I was in, but I can tell you I didnā€™t have to travel a ton but there were some that did have to travel a fair amount. All depends
Thank you for your insight. Would it be okay if I PM you with a couple of follow up questions?

Hi everyone! Recently accepted and wondering about ISAC and how that works as far as applying. Does anyone have more info on this or know where I could find more info?

Hi everyone! Recently accepted and wondering about ISAC and how that works as far as applying. Does anyone have more info on this or know where I could find more info?
I would probably just email Donna Fulton (you should have emails from her) if you are interested. Awhile ago I got an email saying they wanted anyone interested in ISAC to let them known by 3/1 but if you just got accepted I'm sure they'll work with you! You can DM me if you want. Congrats!

Does anyone know when they'll assign us our COMPanion mentors?
it's not technically assigned, I would just choose 3 and start emailing with them! I've already started communicating with mine and they've been pretty responsive!

What are the COMPanion mentors? I have my assumptions but this is the first I am hearing about them? Also do you know where we can watch the previous Class Klatches?
The COMPanion mentors are 2nd and 3rd year students that you can message for advice. There was a class Klatch about it, but I was unable to attend so I don't know much more about them. They have all the mentors with short bios on the COMP Connect App that you can download from the app store. Donna has been sending info about the app with every class Klatch email. You'll need your Western U email and password to login into it. You can watch some of the old Class Klatch videos, such as ISAC, Financial Aid, and COMPanions on there so I highly recommend it!

The COMPanion mentors are 2nd and 3rd year students that you can message for advice. There was a class Klatch about it, but I was unable to attend so I don't know much more about them. They have all the mentors with short bios on the COMP Connect App that you can download from the app store. Donna has been sending info about the app with every class Klatch email. You'll need your Western U email and password to login into it. You can watch some of the old Class Klatch videos, such as ISAC, Financial Aid, and COMPanions on there so I highly recommend it!
Perfect! Thank you!

Does anybody know when the 3/15 interviewers are supposed to hear back?

Last edited:
Does anybody know when the 3/15 interviewers are supposed to hear back?
I interviewed 3/13, and on the presentation, they said in 3-4 weeks. I still havenā€™t heard back yet either :/

I interviewed 3/13, and on the presentation, they said in 3-4 weeks. I still havenā€™t heard back yet either :/
Oops I meant 3/13. Oh I didn't realize it could be 4 weeks!! I thought it was less than 3.. Either way the suspense is killing me o_O

Does anyone know the plan to enroll and commit to enroll dates?

It's a little different for DO schools, but according to the AACOMAS traffic rules, you need to have narrowed down to one by May 15. If you haven't done so by that point, schools are allowed to rescind their offers. Though, it does sound like they give you a warning first.

"Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges are asked to report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited, and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one COM to avoid having positions withdrawn."

Just received an email that there was an update in my application status. Totally expected an R on my status, but the status says that Iā€™m on the waitlist. This was best case scenario that I expected, since I assumed the class to be full (which the update explicitly confirmed). However, there is a form on my portal that says I need to confirm my alternate status with them. It was my understanding that there were separate lists, a wait list and an alternate list. The update letter clearly says waitlist though. Am I misunderstanding something?

Just received an email that there was an update in my application status. Totally expected an R on my status, but the status says that Iā€™m on the waitlist. This was best case scenario that I expected, since I assumed the class to be full (which the update explicitly confirmed). However, there is a form on my portal that says I need to confirm my alternate status with them. It was my understanding that there were separate lists, a wait list and an alternate list. The update letter clearly says waitlist though. Am I misunderstanding something?
This happened to me as well. They are separate, however they have the same term for accepting your spot. I accepted alternate but was also waitlist!

Thank you! That makes me feel way more at ease. Do you know approximately how big the waitlist is?

Thank you! That makes me feel way more at ease. Do you know approximately how big the waitlist is?
I was reading past threads and some people were saying around 25 people..? I am also in the same spot as you right now but I just went ahead and accepted alternate even though the updated letter states waitlist!

has everyone else who interviewed on 3/13 heard back? Im still (very anxiously) waiting to hear and trying to decide if thats a good or bad thing..

I was reading past threads and some people were saying around 25 people..? I am also in the same spot as you right now but I just went ahead and accepted alternate even though the updated letter states waitlist!
Do you know if there is usually a lot of WL movement? Like, enough that they even go into the alternate list?

Do you know if there is usually a lot of WL movement? Like, enough that they even go into the alternate list?
I think usually most people get in from the WL, but the alternate list is hit or miss. I was on the alternate list last year and didn't make it in then.

Honestly not sure.. I guess the best thing to do now is patiently wait.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the WL is ranked? Or do they evaluate everyone again when a spot opens up?

Will be withdrawing my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you exceptional individuals holding out hope on the waitlist :)

Reactions: 4 users
I think usually most people get in from the WL, but the alternate list is hit or miss. I was on the alternate list last year and didn't make it in then.
This is how itā€™s been the last two admission cycles but this one is weird so not 100% sure
Does anyone know if the WL is ranked? Or do they evaluate everyone again when a spot opens up?
I honestly donā€™t know but I ā€œkindaā€ think itā€™s ranked. I had a friend who was on alternate list and at some point they called for an update and were told where they were on the alternate list which made them think it was ranked. I believe in May/June you can call and get an update on where you stand from admissions. Good luck

i am not part of the interviews or admissions this is all an educated guess

What are the odds of receiving an acceptance off of the alternate list if I send in a letter of intent? This is my #1 choice but I am on several other schools waitlists and am unsure if I would have a higher chance of acceptance off a waitlist at a different school rather than off the alternate list here.

I just heard back via update in the portal: waitlist. Hopefully you received better news!
waitlisted as well... we shall see. this is literally my dream school so im keeping my fingers crossed for us!

What are the odds of receiving an acceptance off of the alternate list if I send in a letter of intent? This is my #1 choice but I am on several other schools waitlists and am unsure if I would have a higher chance of acceptance off a waitlist at a different school rather than off the alternate list here.
Is the alternate list different than the waitlist? what was the wording in your update?

Is the alternate list different than the waitlist? what was the wording in your update?
Yes, the waitlist is basically, we would have accepted you, but the class is full at this time and we'll reach out when a spot opens up. The previous cycles everyone/almost everyone eventually gets off the waitlist.

The alternate list is like maybe we'll accept you later if there are spots in the class. I think only very few people make it off of the alternate list.