2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary prompt:
  1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (500 words)
  2. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you? (500 words)
  3. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP? (500 words)
  4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school. (500 words)
  5. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.). (500 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got an email today from this school telling me to set up an account. I was able to do so but unable to do much else within that account. I am assuming this means secondaries have not been sent out yet or that they have not reviewed my app? Why else would they not send a secondary to me now given that the requirements have been met?

Hi everyone! First time DO applicant, super excited to apply here. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere (I couldn't find it) but does anyone know whether the Pomona campus requires the CASPer this cycle? The only Western school I see as an option to add to the CASPer reservation is "Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine - Northwest".

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! First time DO applicant, super excited to apply here. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere (I couldn't find it) but does anyone know whether the Pomona campus requires the CASPer this cycle? The only Western school I see as an option to add to the CASPer reservation is "Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine - Northwest"
Pretty sure it is required for either campus. You would be selecting that on the casper website anyways though.

Pretty sure it is required for either campus. You would be selecting that on the casper website anyways though.

Just to second what the above person said, it is for both campuses. I emailed an advisor and they confirmed that the CASPer website will only list the NW campus, but both schools will be able to access the score after scores are sent.

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but does the physician letter of recommendation have to be submitted outside of AACOMAS? Western's website says "We prefer that the letters be sent electronically via VirtualEvals or Interfolio." But the AACOMAS recommender portal is called "Letters by Liaison." I just don't want to get my recommender to send the letter into the wrong portal

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but does the physician letter of recommendation have to be submitted outside of AACOMAS? Western's website says "We prefer that the letters be sent electronically via VirtualEvals or Interfolio." But the AACOMAS recommender portal is called "Letters by Liaison." I just don't want to get my recommender to send the letter into the wrong portal
That's interesting...the only advantage I can think of is that when you use Interfolio, it "quality checks" your letters to make sure they're signed, written on official letterhead, etc. before they're sent to AACOMAS. But I believe for schools to receive your letters with your app, you need to attach them to your AACOMAS app, regardless of whether you collect them with an outside service.

I got an email today from this school telling me to set up an account. I was able to do so but unable to do much else within that account. I am assuming this means secondaries have not been sent out yet or that they have not reviewed my app? Why else would they not send a secondary to me now given that the requirements have been met?
Hi there I got the same email, but I can't even set up an account. It just brings me back to a log in page but doesn't provide a "create account" option... How were you able to set up an account?

I’m not sure but I’m under the impression that they do. I just received an email from them inviting me to complete their secondary “based on... academic performance, volunteerism and clinical experience” making me “eligible to continue to the next step”

I’m not sure but I’m under the impression that they do. I just received an email from them inviting me to complete their secondary “based on... academic performance, volunteerism and clinical experience” making me “eligible to continue to the next step”
I got the same so I was just curious. Their secondary is so long lol

I got the same so I was just curious. Their secondary is so long lol
I haven’t opened it yet honestly, but now that you say that I probably won’t look at it til later... lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received about an hour ago. Questions are basically the same as last year:
  1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (500 words)
  2. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you? (500 words)
  3. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP? (500 words)
  4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school. (500 words)
  5. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.). (500 words)
@PapaGuava

Secondary received today! Wonder what their screening process entails

Secondary received and submitted.

I feel like there is not that much screening going on...I could be totally off I mean I do have shadowing(albeit only 30 some hours) and volunteering but did they really take the time to look through everything and make sure everyone had all of that?

Secondary received and submitted.

I feel like there is not that much screening going on...I could be totally off I mean I do have shadowing(albeit only 30 some hours) and volunteering but did they really take the time to look through everything and make sure everyone had all of that?

Secondaries are a big money maker for schools ($50-$100 per person x several hundred applicants) so I’m assuming they err on the side of sending them to people who might be under qualified instead of sending fewer out and only including people with all requirements... I’m sure they just look at minimum GPA and MCAT. Just a theory though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone confirm if the science LOR has to be from a pre-req? Seeing conflicted information

It asks about our research experience and why it was so meaningful, but what if we did more than one research? Do we just pick our most memorable?

For the "Physician Shadowing" section and follow up essay question, should we literally just stick to shadowing or can we also include other clinical experiences (e.g. scribing, since that is basically shadowing and then some)? I feel like its more valuable than just shadowing (for me anyway) since I have thousands of hours scribing versus 40 hours "shadowing" officially. Thoughts?

Secondary received and submitted :)

For the research part where it asks to "upload your research"... do they want my master's thesis? A copy of my papers/posters, etc.?

Last edited:
I submitted on the 26th. Should I be crying yet?!

For the research part where it asks to "upload your research"... do they want my master's thesis? A copy of my papers/posters, etc.?
I uploaded a pdf of my research paper!

Also, for your question regarding scribing vs shadowing, I was advised not to conflate the two when I spoke with an adcom member. Shadowing is strictly observing, while scribing is actual scribe work.

Hi, so my primary got verified one week ago and I still haven't received a secondary app from western yet. Any idea as to when I should expect to receive a secondary? Is it possible I got screened out by chance because of my stats? (3.4 gpa, 512 mcat, 20 hours DO shadowing)

Hi, so my primary got verified one week ago and I still haven't received a secondary app from western yet. Any idea as to when I should expect to receive a secondary? Is it possible I got screened out by chance because of my stats? (3.4 gpa, 512 mcat, 20 hours DO shadowing)
Probably still need a little bit longer. I dont think you will be screened out because I was around there on stats too and still received the primary

2* received on 6/24. Submitted today. Good luck everyone!

Is anyone else having trouble submitting their secondary? Or at least the payment portion?

I am also currently having a problem submitting payment. I'll try again in a couple hours.

Current 4th year. AMA.

Some notes based on typical questions that I've received:
1. The curriculum switched the year below me. While I do not know how the curriculum is now, the same people are delivering it. And I found that the old curriculum was adequate. I got ~70th percentile on step1 and am taking step2 soon. I think i'm on track for about the same percentile, but who knows. In either case, I have every confidence that curriculum has never held me back.

2. Rotations are mostly within a 1hour drive of pomona. Some may be further (eg one of our OMM rotations is in florida), but you can probably get them all within a 1hr drive if you tried. It sounds tiring, and it was but I got used to it fast.

3. Rotation quality has been adequate for me. I've enjoyed all of my rotations. I structured my experience to favor outpatient over inpatient because I want to be an outpatient based clinician. Those who want a mostly inpt experience might have more trouble. I guesstimate that half of our core rotations were outpatient. Not sure how this compares to other DO schools. You can probably switch your schedule to be mostly inpt if you tried.

4. Admin have never held me back. Including the clinical rotations office. But some alum have expressed frustration. When pressed for details, they usually said things like disorganization, failure to make policy exceptions, etc. I never personally encountered these problems. Honestly, in the face of covid, they've been quite flexible in working with me.

5. Pomona felt safe. Walked my dog tons of times on campus at 2am. Some friends had car windows smashed. Never any bodily harm to any students ever though, as far as I can remember. But definitely a low SES area. You can live in more affluent areas like chino if you dislike the atmosphere. I didn't care and lived right next the school for preclinical.

6. In terms of tips, I suggest everyone read the SDN interview feedback page. It exists and has some real gems.

Good luck everyone!

I have received several e-mails asking me to create a student profile, etc. but no secondary application. Is this normal, should I e-mail admissions, or is it up in the air at this point?

I was verified about a week ago.

Did y'all copy and paste your essays between WesternU in Cali and the one in Oregon? Two of the prompts are the exact same. Would it be bad if I just submitted the same essays to both?

Did y'all copy and paste your essays between WesternU in Cali and the one in Oregon? Two of the prompts are the exact same. Would it be bad if I just submitted the same essays to both?
If it makes you feel any better, I did that last cycle and was accepted to both campuses and I am a current student at COMP now.

Reactions: 2 users
If it makes you feel any better, I did that last cycle and was accepted to both campuses and I am a current student at COMP now.

Good to know. How do you like it? I really like their interprofessional curriculum and opportunity to serve as a TA

Good to know. How do you like it? I really like their interprofessional curriculum and opportunity to serve as a TA
Currently in ISAC now so I’ll hopefully get that TA experience during the year. It’s hard to say as I just started, and with COVID things aren’t how they normally are so it’s hard to judge. So far I’m loving school and the faculty are amazing, at least the anatomy faculty I’ve met and all of the administrators as well.

What happens if we submit the application after 10 days? Their website says delayed processing, but what exactly does that mean? I'm still waiting on one of my science professor letter writers and I'm hoping to get it in maybe 15-20 days after receiving my secondary last week.

Has anyone who submitted primary here after 6/25 not heard anything? No application received, secondary, nada...
I do get western recruitment emails though...
1593721519058.png

Has anyone who submitted primary here after 6/25 not heard anything? No application received, secondary, nada...
I do get western recruitment emails though...View attachment 311676

I got these e-mails as well and e-mailed the admissions officer. Our dates match up and he said he hadn't received my primary application yet and didn't expect to until mid-July. Don't worry! Hope that helps!

I got these e-mails as well and e-mailed the admissions officer. Our dates match up and he said he hadn't received my primary application yet and didn't expect to until mid-July. Don't worry! Hope that helps!
Okay that's a relief to hear. I assume they are doing in-depth manual screens which are taking some time.

COMP 2nd year going into 3rd year here, if you have any questions about COMP, please feel free to message me and I'd be happy to answer.

App verified 6/24, secondary received 7/3

I am having a difficult time answering "What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you?"

I have always been interested in mental health and have worked in the following areas:
-tutoring students with learning disabilities
-I was a technician in an adolescent in patient rehab for children 13-18 (however this position was paid).
-Finally, when I visited Nepal for a study abroad course of women and children in low resource settings, I visited a shelter designed to help female abuse victims of migrant labor. I was affected by what I saw and when I returned to the states developed a proposal for mental health assessments for the shelter that was funded by my school. I will be returning once COVID is over to collect data for three months in Kathmandu, analyze findings and developing programing implementation for these women.

The last part is one of my greatest accomplishments, but is currently ongoing. In addition to the months of research and organizing I've already done, Ill be heading my own clinical assessment of the population and designing programming. But technically this all started as a study abroad course, and since I haven't returned yet its not a community service activity yet.

Is it appropriate to weave together different activities I have done starting with working with these children, seeing how they benefited from support and how its inspired me to do the same in different settings?

My final concern is that these experiences indicate I might be better in the field of psychology, but I am interested in implementing mental health awareness in primary care settings. And by this, I mean advocating physicians to have a strong understanding of mental diagnoses such as autism, ADHD, depression, PTSD, etc. so they are sensitive to the needs of these populations when they encounter them in their practice....

Long story short I would appreciate any advice you guys might have in how to approach this question. Thank you!

Hi everyone, first time posting! I have searched on several forums and done a thorough internet search for how to deal with the research section of Western COMP Pomona's secondary application. I have volunteered and conducted research, but I haven't been an author on any papers. All of my volunteer research positions are indicated in my primary and mainly were public health based, in a clinical setting administering surveys and coding data, or to develop community programs.

My question is do they want the same information that is in my primary app (ie. transfer the info without edits)? Or should I write about them in a different way? I really don't want to mess this up and don't know what to do. I don't want to look lazy for not rewriting but I don't want to look dumb for rewriting them (and also I have lots of other secondaries to pre-write).

Can anyway give a definitive answer on this? Perhaps someone who has already applied and been accepted can let me (and the forum) know what they did? Bueller?

Hi everyone, first time posting! I have searched on several forums and done a thorough internet search for how to deal with the research section of Western COMP Pomona's secondary application. I have volunteered and conducted research, but I haven't been an author on any papers. All of my volunteer research positions are indicated in my primary and mainly were public health based, in a clinical setting administering surveys and coding data, or to develop community programs.

My question is do they want the same information that is in my primary app (ie. transfer the info without edits)? Or should I write about them in a different way? I really don't want to mess this up and don't know what to do. I don't want to look lazy for not rewriting but I don't want to look dumb for rewriting them (and also I have lots of other secondaries to pre-write).

Can anyway give a definitive answer on this? Perhaps someone who has already applied and been accepted can let me (and the forum) know what they did? Bueller?
Hi :) Congrats on all your secondaries!

I'm applying this cycle as well, but my friend and I both wrote completely new essays for the research section. My research experience meant a lot to me and was a big part of my undergrad career, so I was really grateful they gave me the opportunity to expand on it in a 500 W essay. I'm sure you won't look dumb rewriting the research essay. In fact, if you've volunteered and conducted research before in multiple settings, you'll have no problem writing up another essay in a short period of time.

Hope that helps and good luck~

Edit: Sorry I should've also added that the prompt specifically asks for why the research experience was "valuable" to you, so perhaps you can focus on one or two aspects from your many research experiences that meant the most to you and played a role in your decision to pursue medicine... or you can talk about how you learned the importance of having a public health perspective as you pursue medicine, etc.

If others think I'm wrong, please feel free to disagree!!