2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got off the deferred list last night for my first acceptance of the cycle!!! Sadly due to family issues I don't think I'll be able to move down to LA, so I'll probably have to call them and request I get put back on the deferred list haha. I'll let ya'll know how that goes.

Currently on the WL for a school really close to home, so still hope I can start medical school this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Got off the deferred list last night for my first acceptance of the cycle!!! Sadly due to family issues I don't think I'll be able to move down to LA, so I'll probably have to call them and request I get put back on the deferred list haha. I'll let ya'll know how that goes.

Currently on the WL for a school really close to home, so still hope I can start medical school this cycle!
congratulations!!!
did you send a LOI to westernu?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

OMG congratulations 🎈🎉 I hope everything is okay with your family and fingers cross for the other school 🤞🏼

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I got off the deferred admission list on 05/03 Monday at 9 PM EST! I received an email to check the portal. Interviewed on 12/08. Really excited! :D

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone know if admissions will let you know your ranking? It's my understanding that alternates are ranked in May and June, and WL applicants are also ranked

Does anyone know if admissions will let you know your ranking? It's my understanding that alternates are ranked in May and June, and WL applicants are also ranked
they dont disclose it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone from the deferred list still waiting? Not sure how many people are on the list in the first place. Hopefully the faster they get through the deferred list, the faster they get to the other lists.

Anyone from the deferred list still waiting? Not sure how many people are on the list in the first place. Hopefully the faster they get through the deferred list, the faster they get to the other lists.
Not sure if it’s chronological, but from above, it seems they got to (some) January interviewees off the deferred list, so hopefully soon.

I estimate that there is a good 30+( hopefully less) who are deferred but some aren't on SDN.

Did anyone else get an email about an update yet their portal shows no update?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no.... didn’t get the email 🤡

Anyone know about good housing options close to campus? What's it like at the Daumier? What's the internet like? Been reading reviews about it, and they say the internet is slow and unstable. Is the internet good enough to handle lectures? I do most of my studying from my apartment. Don't really get much studying done at coffee shops or libraries, especially since COVID. Anyone know if it's quiet too?

Also was wondering if anyone knew about the internet/noise level at Monterey Station, 777, and Helix? Looking into these options as well.

Yes, I received this email and there was no update. Oh well!
I think its for Western University-NW. I got the same email and it said their cycle was over

Anyone know about good housing options close to campus? What's it like at the Daumier? What's the internet like? Been reading reviews about it, and they say the internet is slow and unstable. Is the internet good enough to handle lectures? I do most of my studying from my apartment. Don't really get much studying done at coffee shops or libraries, especially since COVID. Anyone know if it's quiet too?

Also was wondering if anyone knew about the internet/noise level at Monterey Station, 777, and Helix? Looking into these options as well.
A lot of students share a house in Claremont, Chino, Chino Hills, Montclair, Ontario or good area in Pomona. You can join the FB group for WesternU Class 2024 or 2025 and look for roommates. You can also check for room rentals online. Daumier is very convenient as it is next to school. Daumier is more expensive and small. You only need a place for the first 2 years. You may have to move depending on your 3rd and 4th years clinical rotations.

A lot of students share a house in Claremont, Chino, Chino Hills, Montclair, Ontario or good area in Pomona. You can join the FB group for WesternU Class 2024 or 2025 and look for roommates. You can also check for room rentals online. Daumier is very convenient as it is next to school. Daumier is more expensive and small. You only need a place for the first 2 years. You may have to move depending on your 3rd and 4th years clinical rotations.
Where are the more popular clinical rotations sites?

Where are the more popular clinical rotations sites?
leggomed has post a very good and detail reply on Feb 28th 2021. I pasted his reply below for your reference. It all depends on your target specialty and how hard you work. Board steps 1 and 2 are very important on your target specialty.

"Current 4th year at Western COMP (Pomona). Feel free to ask other questions. Currently waiting for match results and don't mind reflecting on the experience at WesternU.

In short: Rotations are what you make of it. You can switch 3rd year rotations with classmates to get your preferred location/hospital/residency-based or outpatient. That way you control how difficult you want to make it, recommendations from certain sites, or studying for shelf exams and board exams. 4th year is entirely student-driven. Students have to find each rotation via the school's portal/affilations or VSAS). VSAS is the national portal and where people find audition/away rotations.

With COVID, many rotations got cancelled or changed to hybrid/online. Also, a good number of residency programs and hospitals stopped taking external students because of the pandemic (PPE, cancelled procedured/speciality hours, not wanting student seeing COVID). Even with this, I was still able to fill out my 4th year schedule and stay on track - but just not where I envisioned during 3rd year.

In summary: It will be OK. There are plenty of hospitals residency and non-residency hospitals in SoCal/Inland Empire + Western has strong connections across California."

It's safe to assume Western is long done with interviews, right? They straight up have not given any answer to my supplemental app.

Hi all, I made a poll for those still waiting on a final decision from the school or are making a final decision about committing. Please answer and hopefully we can get some kind of estimate at least from those on SDN.

What years do we need to bring a car/drive to sites? Do we need a car first and second year?

For those who recently got off deferred, are the health requirements due by June 1st or do we have a later due date

Declined my offer of admission- I was accepted yesterday off the deferred applicants list. Interviewed in early January. Hope it goes to one of you!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
What years do we need to bring a car/drive to sites? Do we need a car first and second year?
You probably should have a car, or at least know/live with someone who has a car. I think OMM will be at an off-campus location as well for first years, so you'll need it for that even if you're living on campus.

You probably should have a car, or at least know/live with someone who has a car. I think OMM will be at an off-campus location as well for first years, so you'll need it for that even if you're living on campus.
Is bringing a car a matter of convenience or is it a necessity? Do we just need a car to get to the OMM site or any other sites? I though OMM was on the WesternU campus. I'm hesitant to bring a car because I'm considering living in Pomona near campus. The area isn't too safe. I've read a lot of reviews that have mentioned car burglaries in the area.

Is bringing a car a matter of convenience or is it a necessity? Do we just need a car to get to the OMM site or any other sites? I though OMM was on the WesternU campus. I'm hesitant to bring a car because I'm considering living in Pomona near campus. The area isn't too safe. I've read a lot of reviews that have mentioned car burglaries in the area.
I live about 20 miles from campus, so for me it's obviously a necessity

From what we've been told so far, OMM can't be done on campus because the school's facilities don't allow for the required amount of social distancing. I'm not sure if any changes in the future regulations could affect this though. For reference, the place we had OMM at this year was about 2 miles from campus, but they said they're looking for a new place for next year.

If you haven't lived in SoCal before it's pretty unfriendly for walking/public transit, since everything is pretty far apart. I can't speak to the safety around campus (we never really had to be on campus for our year), but I would probably rather drive than walk/bike at night.

Ultimately up to you though

I live about 20 miles from campus, so for me it's obviously a necessity

From what we've been told so far, OMM can't be done on campus because the school's facilities don't allow for the required amount of social distancing. I'm not sure if any changes in the future regulations could affect this though. For reference, the place we had OMM at this year was about 2 miles from campus, but they said they're looking for a new place for next year.

If you haven't lived in SoCal before it's pretty unfriendly for walking/public transit, since everything is pretty far apart. I can't speak to the safety around campus (we never really had to be on campus for our year), but I would probably rather drive than walk/bike at night.

Ultimately up to you though
Do we need a car for anything school related other than OMM? I'm not sure if I'll be living in Pomona or in the neighboring areas like Claremont, Chino Hills, etc, which a lot of people have recommended doing.

Do we need a car for anything school related other than OMM? I'm not sure if I'll be living in Pomona or in the neighboring areas like Claremont, Chino Hills, etc, which a lot of people have recommended doing.
Public transportation in my opinion sucks in California. So yes, a car would be ideal.

Withdrew my A. best of luck everyone 😁

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Got off the deferred list. I think they’ll get to more applicants soon. Good luck everyone!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Also was accepted off the deferred list today! I really really loved this school but the cost of tuition and living scares me. Does anyone have any info on about what’s typical for monthly rent/utilities in the area? I’m from Texas and not exactly used to California costs lol.

If anyone gets off the WL, please post and give us hope LOL

• Care