2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any info on about what’s typical for monthly rent/utilities in the area? I’m from Texas and not exactly used to California costs lol.

You’ll likely need a roommate

Ballpark figures
Pomona, $1200 for 1BR, $2000 for 2.
Claremont $1500 for 1BR, $2400 for 2
Chino Hills $1800 for 1BR, $3000 for 2

Best bet is to look for a newer townhouse at maybe $3000 a month for 3BR/3Ba

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed in February and just got off the WL (not deferred) yesterday :) good luck to everyone!

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
You give me hope. ❤
Didn't people say above that those who were "Waitlisted" (but accepted alternate status) were a different category than regular alternates? Would be interesting to know if any of the actual alternates have been admitted

Didn't people say above that those who were "Waitlisted" (but accepted alternate status) were a different category than regular alternates? Would be interesting to know if any of the actual alternates have been admitted
I am still confused with these terms. waitlisted but alternate status vs regular waitlist vs alternate list

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back from admissions or the admissions counselor after sending emails or leaving voicemails…? I uploaded a letter of intent and wanted to confirm with someone but silence 😓 (for over a month now with multiple attempts)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from admissions or the admissions counselor after sending emails or leaving voicemails…? I uploaded a letter of intent and wanted to confirm with someone but silence 😓 (for over a month now with multiple attempts)
It took my admissions contact about three weeks to say he sees it on my file.

Did anyone find out what their spot was on the waitlist last year? (reaps or past year lurkers?)

Did anyone find out what their spot was on the waitlist last year? (reaps or past year lurkers?)
I was told by admissions that their office doesn't disclose where a student ranks on either the WL or ALT lists

• Sad
Does anyone know when the waitlist movement is expected to end/typically ends?

Does anyone know when the waitlist movement is expected to end/typically ends?
I’ve asked Christopher Vu and he said that waitlist movement typically goes from May to June (but not sure if that means until end or mid June).

anyone on the alt list been contacted? not WL with alt option?

It would be normal for students to be accepted even a week before classes start.

What years do we need to bring a car/drive to sites? Do we need a car first and second year?
I would recommend a car for all 4 years.

Definitely need it for 3rd/4th.
1st/2nd year: If you live next to campus at the Daumier, 777, or Helix then *maybe* you don't need one. I would highly recommend it though because groceries, fast-food, etc you will need to drive to from campus area. The area isn't very walk friendly (ghetto/sketch) and nearby options are few (Starbucks, Mexican and Chinese food mostly). I knew a few kids who didn't have a car, so they would grocery shop with people who did.

Is bringing a car a matter of convenience or is it a necessity? Do we just need a car to get to the OMM site or any other sites? I though OMM was on the WesternU campus. I'm hesitant to bring a car because I'm considering living in Pomona near campus. The area isn't too safe. I've read a lot of reviews that have mentioned car burglaries in the area.
OMM is on campus. The school/Daumier lots are patrolled.
Even then, car burglaries have happened, but only if you're not being smart. I knew kids who left their backpacks/laptops in open sight and got burglarized. Don't let this be the reason you don't bring a car. You definitely need one for food, grocery, fun.

Anyone know about good housing options close to campus? What's it like at the Daumier? What's the internet like? Been reading reviews about it, and they say the internet is slow and unstable. Is the internet good enough to handle lectures? I do most of my studying from my apartment. Don't really get much studying done at coffee shops or libraries, especially since COVID. Anyone know if it's quiet too?

Also was wondering if anyone knew about the internet/noise level at Monterey Station, 777, and Helix? Looking into these options as well.
I would avoid living In Monterey Station. Classmates who did, complained about the area (safety). Even though it is close geographically, It is not really feasible to walk from there to campus because the train track area is really ghetto.

Just got off the waitlist. I'm not sure if I should accept it since I am committed to Touro NV and I already signed the apartment lease :(

Just got off the waitlist. I'm not sure if I should accept it since I am committed to Touro NV and I already signed the apartment lease :(
you can always try to see if the landlord will let you transfer the lease to someone who wants the apartment

Or.. now hear me out.. you could give up the Western Seat. Lol jk congrats!

I signed a lease elsewhere and am breaking that lease to go to western

I got an acceptance email today. I interviewed in Dec and got the WL email in January. I just declined the acceptance.

I got accepted somewhere else in late April. I knew I needed to emotionally dive in 100% to this other school and get an apartment, roommate, furniture, etc. I didn’t want to sit on the fence until the last moment and feel like I was coming in frazzled. So I went and spent a few days there, toured the school, found an incredible group of friends via their FB Group, rented an apartment, and found a classmate to be my roommate. In all the excitement, I forgot to withdraw name from PCOM.

While PCOM is clearly an incredible school and if I’d gotten accepted there before late April I would have accepted offer, I think I was meant to go somewhere else.

So, to all of you still waiting, there is another spot available Monday morning! I hope it goes to one of you incredible people that are waiting!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I'm in the exact same situation. I've already committed to Touro NV but western is so much closer to home.

I got an acceptance email today. I interviewed in Dec and got the WL email in January. I just declined the acceptance.

I got accepted somewhere else in late April. I knew I needed to emotionally dive in 100% to this other school and get an apartment, roommate, furniture, etc. I didn’t want to sit on the fence until the last moment and feel like I was coming in frazzled. So I went and spent a few days there, toured the school, found an incredible group of friends via their FB Group, rented an apartment, and found a classmate to be my roommate. In all the excitement, I forgot to withdraw name from PCOM.

While PCOM is clearly an incredible school and if I’d gotten accepted there before late April I would have accepted offer, I think I was meant to go somewhere else.

So, to all of you still waiting, there is another spot available Monday morning! I hope it goes to one of you incredible people that are waiting!
Thank you for sharing I am so happy for you and wishing you all the best future doctor!

Omg! Just got off the Alt list!!! I am so overwhelmed. There is hope for those on the list still. Keep ya head up!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Omg! Just got off the Alt list!!! I am so overwhelmed. There is hope for those on the list still. Keep ya head up!
Congrats! That's so awesome!!! Here's to more ALT movement in the coming days!!

Reactions: 1 users
Got off the WL about two hours ago !! there is hope you guys!! good luck to everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users