2020: Competitiveness of admission to MD vs DMD/DDS schools

mmc12

2+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Is it generally harder to get into a MD Allopathic US medical school than a USA dental school? Could most incoming dental students be competitive for admissions for an MD school? (assuming they modify their applications and gain the medicine-related extracurricular activities)

bracketbuster68

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The short answer is MD is generally harder. Many dental students could be competitive for an MD school, but far more would be competitive for DO.

Reactions: 1 users

golfdmd

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
In general, my guess is MD > DMD=DO > Caribbean MD

I think it probably varies between the tier of the schools though, i.e. lower tier MD schools may be less competitive than the most competitive dental schools

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

LegendaryPanda

2+ Year Member
May 7, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I looked at all the data from the official websites and found the averages for the year 2018. The MD has much higher standards than both DO and DDS/DMD. DO and DDS/DMD have very similar GPA standards, but there's no actual correlation between MCAT and DAT to make any sort of direct conjecture. As a person who actually took the MCAT, I can say for sure that it is way harder than the DAT, but I can't for sure say that 64 percentile on the MCAT is equivalent to 78 percentile on the DAT, although that's about roughly where I would equate them. So @hersh_98 was pretty spot on with their guess, maybe MD > DDS/DMD >= DO. Prior to this I would have thought that MD > DO > DDS for sure. I knew DO were less competitive than MD, and I figured like 3.6/507 MCAT, but I did not realize DO scores were so much lower.

Average MD school matriculant:
cGPA - 3.72
sGPA -3.65
MCAT - 511.2 (87 percentile according to 2017-2018 scale)

Average DO school matriculant:
cGPA - 3.54
sGPA - 3.43
MCAT - 504 (64 percentile according to 2017-2018 scale)
Pre-2015 MCAT - 25 (50 percentile)

Average Dental school matriculant:
cGPA - 3.55
sGPA - 3.45
DAT - 20.5 (Between 73-82 percentile at roughly 78% according to 2017 scale)

Sources:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

HighestHand

5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Bahaha, now we can all tell those people making stupid jokes about dentists being failed doctors to shove it.

The age old joke: "What do you call a doctor who couldn't get into medical school? A dentist."

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.