2020 Fellowship match statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PugsAndHugs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the stats for this years fellowship match? (# of applicants, matched, unmatched, etc) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The NRMP data does not show the full picture, as it only shows match statistics for candidates who registered with NRMP (ie attended interviews). There might be few candidates who applied in ERAS and never got an invite. I took ERAS application submitted data and NRMP match data to show a more clear picture.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Cardiology
Total Applications 1780; Total Positions 1045 (58.5%); Unfilled positions 3
USMD 689; matched 549 (79.6%)
DO 204; matched 103 (50.5%)
IMG 887; matched 389 (43.8%)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. GI
Total Applications 1034; Total Positions 590 (57%); Unfilled positions 6
USMD 436; matched 352 (80.7%)
DO 139; matched 66 (47.5%)
IMG 459; matched 166 (36%)

3. Hematology-Oncology
Total Applications 1009; Total positions 638 (63.2%); Unfilled positions 0
USMD 412; matched 336 (81.5%)
DO 92; matched 64 (69.5%)
IMG 505; matched 237 (58.3%)

4. Pulmonary-Critical Care
Total Applications 1357; Total positions 657 (48.4%); Unfilled positions 2
USMD 461; matched 323 (70%)
DO 228; matched 92 (40.3%)
IMG 668; matched 240 (35.9%)

5. Allergy (both IM and Peds)
Total Applications 222; Total positions 146 (65.8%); Unfilled positions 1
USMD 132; matched 110 (83.3%)
DO 20; matched 9 (45%)
IMG 68; matched 26 (38%)

6. Rheumatology
Total applicants 412; Total Positions 257 (62.4%) Unfilled 7
USMD 126; matched 106 (84%)
DO 71; matched 50 (70.4%)
IMG 215; matched 94 (43.7%)

*NRMP provides separate data for US-IMG and FMG but ERAS data only has IMG, hence NRMP US-IMG and Foreign is shown together as IMG

Last edited:
Wow, Pulm Crit is pretty competitive these days. Surprised to see how poorly IMGs and DOs in these matches. Do you mind sharing Rheum numbers?

Wow, Pulm Crit is pretty competitive these days. Surprised to see how poorly IMGs and DOs in these matches. Do you mind sharing Rheum numbers?

6. Rheumatology

6. Rheumatology
Do you mind sharing endocrinology numbers as well? Thank you!

Wow! Astonishing numbers.
So after the SMS match is out, and you are looking at unfilled positions, say you apply to Nephro to a specific program which has a vacancy, and they offer you a spot.
What happens if:
1) You don't accept it.--Does it count as Match violation?
2) You accept it and later back out.--Does this count as Match violation?
Do these applications to programs with open spots count as SOAP or out of the match?
Any pointers will be much appreciated! Thanks

There's no match violations with anything you get after the match. If you accept a spot post match and do anything - quit, don't show up, etc -- it's not a match violation. Might not be a good idea for your career, but the NRMP won't care.

There's no match violations with anything you get after the match. If you accept a spot post match and do anything - quit, don't show up, etc -- it's not a match violation. Might not be a good idea for your career, but the NRMP won't care.
Thank you for the input.
Can you please share why do you think it might not be a good idea for one's career? I was thinking you would only switch or do something that you thought was better for you.

Thank you for the input.
Can you please share why do you think it might not be a good idea for one's career? I was thinking you would only switch or do something that you thought was better for you.

People talk so basically don't be an ahole and stand up your second choice date who already knows they are your second choice date.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you all think these numbers are manifestations of a weird Covid 2020 app cycle or that these are going to be repeated moving forward (ex. PCCM 70% match rate)?

Do you all think these numbers are manifestations of a weird Covid 2020 app cycle or that these are going to be repeated moving forward (ex. PCCM 70% match rate)?
PCCM had a similar match rate last year (900 applicants for 600 spots)

However, that does not tell the full story, as this is only for applicants who even received interviews. The real match rate is much lower than 70%

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any explanation for why these numbers are so rough? This seems worrisome even as an MD student.
The ERAS stats reflect only that those people applied to at least one pulm program. Some of those numbers are people applying to pulm as a backup, or people who applied to pulm but then decided not to rank programs. It also includes residents who applied and didn’t even get a single interview (which means they aren’t going to show up in the NRMP data), though I can’t imagine a lot of USMDs would fall into that category.

Reactions: 1 user
Using the excel sheet for # of applicants (MD), and the match result report, here's what I got:

for cardiology 549/689 = 0.8

for pulm/cc 323/461 = 0.7

Maybe the denominator you used for MD was actually the cardiology # of applicants.

The data is freely available: ERAS Statistics | AAMC

For Pulm/CC, there were 1357 applicants. So the "actual" match rates were:
MD - 323 / 689 = 47%
DO - 92 / 228 = 40%
IMG - 240 / 668 = 35%

The ERAS stats reflect only that those people applied to at least one pulm program. Some of those numbers are people applying to pulm as a backup, or people who applied to pulm but then decided not to rank programs. It also includes residents who applied and didn’t even get a single interview (which means they aren’t going to show up in the NRMP data), though I can’t imagine a lot of USMDs would fall into that category.

Good point on those ranking PCCM as backup, however looking at the match data this year it seems like less than 20 applicants from cards/GI matched to a different specialty (and does not say what the specialty was) making the contribution somewhat insignificant

Using the excel sheet for # of applicants (MD), and the match result report, here's what I got:

for cardiology 549/689 = 0.8

for pulm/cc 323/461 = 0.7

Maybe the denominator you used for MD was actually the cardiology # of applicants.
The numbers on that roughly check out, 70% USMD match rate is pretty dismal honestly. That's lower than many of the surgical subspecialty matches iirc (self-selection bias not withstanding)

But overall match rate being so low for PCCM is what is striking, ~50% if i'm not mistaken (1295 applicants for 650 spots), although this does seem consistent with last year's data as well (1173 applicants for roughly the same number of spots)

Do you mind sharing endocrinology numbers as well? Thank you!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

"Actual" Endocrine Match
- 324 matched (From NRMP) / 453 applied (from ERAS data who submitted an app; different from the 364 applicants who ranked Endo for the NRMP match - I wonder where they all went...) = 71% match
- NRMP reported 14% Unmatched rate from those who ranked any # of programs; from above, 29% Unmatched from those who submitted an ERAS app (backed out last minute, did not get a single interview, applied to Endo as a backup/decided not to rank it in the end)
- 23 unfilled positions out of 347
- USMD: 86/96 = 90%
- DO: 35/42 = 83%
- IMG: (53+149)/315 = 64%