Simba1711

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2017
The osce is ******ed. I think we know how to take consent. I love how they added Explaining how to do problem based learning on it. How is this clinically relevant?. My examiner also asked me to point out the axillary vein when I was scanning the Antecubital fossa. I had to correct her if she meant brachial lol

Reactions: 4 users
Jun 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My guess is - video oral boards and no OSCE.
That would be nice! COVID is picking up at my shop, don’t see it slowing down much this fall/winter during flu season either. I hope they’re not sitting on their asses just waiting to see if Pfizer’s vaccine comes out & makes it better by January, but I wouldnt be surprised if they were.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

anbuitachi

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm surprised waive the applied exam petition is not on fire yet. Saw 275 signed so far.
Please sign and share if you have not!

not sure why its not picking up. probably because patient are getting burnt out on covid related anything in many areas of the country. though it doesnt even have to be anesthesiologists, share to everyone!

JOHNBROCHILL

that's my fetish
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2015
cruisin down the street in my 64
This was really the only way forward I don’t understand why it took so long.
The OSCE however definitely loses its purpose here. Am I to instruct someone else where to put an ultrasound for a block on an SP and then identify structures with a pointer and my mouse?
DoI have to virtually talk down an angry surgeon via Skype whose case I canceled?

I didn’t think it was possible but this worthless exam somehow managed to become even more pointless.

Reactions: 3 users

0kazak1

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
OH
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I’m curious too how they want us to do the virtual OSCE and whether or not we have to dress up for the camera? Or maybe we do the zoom thing and just dress up the top half.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I’m curious too how they want us to do the virtual OSCE and whether or not we have to dress up for the camera? Or maybe we do the zoom thing and just dress up the top half.
It would’ve been nice had they arranged virtual MUCH earlier on, but I’ll take it! I just hope they give us our test date a little later then 3 months out. Some of us have crazy schedules/kids at home & do most of their studying on call (I.e me), but at least they’re moving in the right direction now.

dipriMAN

2+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2017
Happy they finally did this to assure all the 2020 oral hoard class gets this done.

However, all of us about to register next month for t he 2021 exam are in complete limbo. I wish they would just commit to virtual exams for the entirety of 2021, feels like the same run around for our class.

Jun 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Happy they finally did this to assure all the 2020 oral hoard class gets this done.

However, all of us about to register next month for t he 2021 exam are in complete limbo. I wish they would just commit to virtual exams for the entirety of 2021, feels like the same run around for our class.
I’m willing to bet they do virtual for your class too. It really should’ve been done years ago imho.

About the Ads

silly_nay_nay

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Anyone have any updates or hints as to when in 2021 the make up exams will be? Some colleagues said they’re expecting January or February 2021.

midazzoler

SDN Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Can’t remember if I read this on the ABA website or the person on the phone told me when I called back in July but I think I heard they will start testing in March and will tell us about 3 months ahead of the day that we are going to be scheduled. Would be surprised if testing started before that.

silly_nay_nay

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
The last email the ABA sent stated “spring 2021”. And that our dates are already selected but they will tell us in November. I’m just curious if anyone has heard differently?

raffithegiraffe

7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi everyone! I will be taking my oral boards this coming year and wanted to know how you all prepared. I keep hearing about UBP. Is that a textbook or just stems and answers? I've heard about the Ho course, is that worth it? Is his review book good? Thanks!!

DaisyBuchanan

Quinn Morgendorffer
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2010
LA, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Is anyone here one of the lucky 88 that get to beta test this virtual exam in December? Apparently if you do that and fail it in December, you're able to take it in the spring with everyone else, no penalties.

dipriMAN

2+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2017
Is anyone here one of the lucky 88 that get to beta test this virtual exam in December? Apparently if you do that and fail it in December, you're able to take it in the spring with everyone else, no penalties.
Not surprised. ABA must feel like they need to deflect some of the inevitable issues they’ll have in December.
Although I will say, why not just have everyone in December test the system and automatically pass them.

Reactions: 2 users

drsamzie

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Has anyone had luck in emailing them back to change their date or time? Currently sitting on a 5am exam time I'm not excited about.

Jun 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Has anyone had luck in emailing them back to change their date or time? Currently sitting on a 5am exam time I'm not excited about.
You may actually have a real, working anesthesiologist testing you if they’re doing it before work, which is probably a good thing! (Compared to the academic, armchair warriors)

About the Ads

silly_nay_nay

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008

in their latest email they state that if the date/time they originally gave us didn’t work then we can request a reschedule. Deadline for that is Friday I believe.

0kazak1

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
OH
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Are you saying you're not awake at 5am? jk jk.

Feb 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Are you guys happy with assigned date/time? Any luck with getting it changed?
Also how are you guys studying for it and for how long?
Are there people taking it in december this year still?

As challenging and stressful this year has been, I have to say it flew by. I cant believe we are in mid November already.

silly_nay_nay

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Are you guys happy with assigned date/time? Any luck with getting it changed?
Also how are you guys studying for it and for how long?
Are there people taking it in december this year still?

As challenging and stressful this year has been, I have to say it flew by. I cant believe we are in mid November already.

My date is in 2.5 months. Less time than I wanted to study but I also want to get this exam over with. Also I have no idea when they would reschedule me if I asked for one.

I’m using basically all the same materials I used when the exam originally got canceled. UBP, old ace mock exams.

I’m interested to see how this virtual oral exam goes and how they will standardize it.

Feb 14, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Is anyone interested in practicing oral boards? I need a study buddy. but I don’t have an exam date yet. My exam could be in mid 2021.
Hi everyone! I will be taking my oral boards this coming year and wanted to know how you all prepared. I keep hearing about UBP. Is that a textbook or just stems and answers? I've heard about the Ho course, is that worth it? Is his review book good? Thanks!!
are you interested in studying for oral boards together? I will be taking oral boards next year , I need a study buddy. Please let me. Thanks

waterbottle10

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Does anyone know how many times we can take the board before they stop us forever and remain forever board not certified? I've heard it's 3?

Justice4all

7+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
And they won’t stop you forever but have to take basic and advanced again to be eligible for the examination again

anbuitachi

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
what? we can take exam unlimited times? did not know this.
a lot of jobs ask for board eligibility.. how would you not be board eligible if you can take it forever

Justice4all

7+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Most jobs have a time limit for board certification (2-7 years).
Board eligibility is now “ in ABA examination system”
There will always be a position in BFE that wants a body or AMC that would overlook the certification

About the Ads

anbuitachi

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Most jobs have a time limit for board certification (2-7 years).
Board eligibility is now “ in ABA examination system”
There will always be a position in BFE that wants a body or AMC that would overlook the certification

many old folks graduated at a time when board certification isnt as 'required' and didnt take the test... i guess they would be disqualified from many jobs today until they pass the exam.

soccerboy2288

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Has there been any updates on the content of the osce? Or anything to guide us in how to prepare? Or are people just studying the old OSCE content. Or is all that info pending...

Vergie

shun the nonbeliever
10+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Has there been any updates on the content of the osce? Or anything to guide us in how to prepare? Or are people just studying the old OSCE content. Or is all that info pending...
As of right now the virtual OSCE is exactly like it has always been except there is no Ultrasound portion. You can see the updated outline on the ABA website. There are example scenarios on the website too. lots of prep options out there that are fairly cheap for OSCE portion if so inclined.

drsamzie

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
As of right now the virtual OSCE is exactly like it has always been except there is no Ultrasound portion. You can see the updated outline on the ABA website. There are example scenarios on the website too. lots of prep options out there that are fairly cheap for OSCE portion if so inclined.
Can you or anyone provide a link? Was hunting around the website but didn't see anything. Thx

Vergie

shun the nonbeliever
10+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Can you or anyone provide a link? Was hunting around the website but didn't see anything. Thx

Here's what I am aware of. The answers to the example questions for echo have some online resources you can view too.

david06

15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Any idea how the logistics of receiving the prompts will work this year? Specifically interested in whether you will be able to glance at the prompt while answering the questions and/or write down notes during the period you’re given to read the prompt.

Choo

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Any idea how the logistics of receiving the prompts will work this year? Specifically interested in whether you will be able to glance at the prompt while answering the questions and/or write down notes during the period you’re given to read the prompt.
Results are up for anyone who took the test on the 18th.

For the SOE - the prompts pop up automatically, and remains alongside another window next to it where examiners will be. You'll be able to see it at all times. I don't think I looked back. You can take notes.

For the OSCE - mostly the same thing for the virtual patients/surgeon or whatever. The prompts disappeared for the physiologic stuff - but they did warn that they would disappear.

amandaeleven

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2010
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
[shameless self-promotion]

It took me a while to wrap my head around how the oral boards are formatted and structured and the resources available on the ABA website, so I made a YouTube video on that and some of the resources I'm planning on using. I hope you'll check it out:

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users

anbuitachi

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Results are up for anyone who took the test on the 18th.

For the SOE - the prompts pop up automatically, and remains alongside another window next to it where examiners will be. You'll be able to see it at all times. I don't think I looked back. You can take notes.

For the OSCE - mostly the same thing for the virtual patients/surgeon or whatever. The prompts disappeared for the physiologic stuff - but they did warn that they would disappear.

anyone aware of anyone who failed the 18th exam ? lol

also do they tell us how many of each type of osce questions there are? in terms of ethical vs TEE vs monitors... or is it completely random. can get 7 ethical stations and zero tee/monitor? or is it same for everyone.. for those who failed, osce do they tell us why you failed or do they give you a big F and thats it

0kazak1

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
OH
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Would not be surprised if there is some form of NDA, but is there anyone here who has taken the virtual exam who can share their experience. All I really want to know is if the process was smooth and seamless. And how sterile my test area needs to be. (My office area in my apartment is also doubling as my gym, and I already know I’ll have to take down my second monitor.)

DaisyBuchanan

Quinn Morgendorffer
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2010
LA, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The impression I got from the webinar was that we could expect 1 TEE station, 1 monitor station, and the rest an assortment of the "soft skills."

I cannot wait to put this test behind me, so I can instead stress about the 60 patients shoehorned into my 20-patient ICU.

Thepassageofgas

7+ Year Member
May 7, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
anyone aware of anyone who failed the 18th exam ? lol

also do they tell us how many of each type of osce questions there are? in terms of ethical vs TEE vs monitors... or is it completely random. can get 7 ethical stations and zero tee/monitor? or is it same for everyone.. for those who failed, osce do they tell us why you failed or do they give you a big F and thats it
One of my practice board examiners said one of his former residents was told he needed to take it again, so yeah, they are failing people still.

Also it’s been a real treat practicing on Skype and having my audio cut out right when I say something critical to answering the question. Please jerbus let the sound quality be okay on Zoom.

anbuitachi

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Would not be surprised if there is some form of NDA, but is there anyone here who has taken the virtual exam who can share their experience. All I really want to know is if the process was smooth and seamless. And how sterile my test area needs to be. (My office area in my apartment is also doubling as my gym, and I already know I’ll have to take down my second monitor.)

i think only immediate area needs to be somewhat clean. in the q/a they said they can ask you to walk around with your laptop/camera to show the room. well i only got 1 room in my entire apartment (not including bathroom), so if t hey make me do that they will definitely see all the mess.

anbuitachi

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
One of my practice board examiners said one of his former residents was told he needed to take it again, so yeah, they are failing people still.

Also it’s been a real treat practicing on Skype and having my audio cut out right when I say something critical to answering the question. Please jerbus let the sound quality be okay on Zoom.

i am not even bothering with practicing on video. i think if i fail, next round will probably in person, unless covid restrictions still not lifted yet by september

anbuitachi

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
7 years. 3x has be scrapped for 7 years since your residency graduation. So possibly can be 7x

you are only allowed to take the board exam once per year? i was told you can only reestablish eligibility 1x upon approval by ABA.
so if its 1x per year, you are looking at 7 attempts minimum and 14 attempts maximum. Hopefully pass oral bords in 14 attempts. I wonder what is the max # of attempts someone tried before passing haha

i thought about postponing my exam since dont have time to study with how busy it is, but then itd be way later, and id just be wasting 1 attempt since its only 7 years.. so i figured might as wel just take it and see how it goes and hopefully pass at least 50% of it so future tests will be only 1200$.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads