2020 Virtual NIH Graduate Professional Fair (NIH GP Fair) - All MD/PhD prospective applicants invited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
The 2020 NIH GP Fair will be happening on August 4-7, 2020. This is a virtual event opened to all prospective MD/PhD and PhD applicants across the country. You don't need to be a NIH post-bac. However, you need to pre-register at the link. Most MSTP and MD/PhD programs will be attending this multi-day event. As in prior years, I highly encourage you to interact with Program Directors and Administrators of the majority of programs in the US. A couple things to know... It is unlikely that they have read already your application or decided whether to interview you. You should have a one page resume/CV ready to email (from a professionally looking email) to the PD/admin for the program. Include your AAMC ID, and perhaps photo, so that they might remember the interaction in the near future.

Our National Association of MD/PhD programs has put together a few presentations for the program, but the real meat of this fair are the one-to-one interactions in Zoom, or other software. I will be there on Friday August 7th at my MSTP booth. I look forward to interact with you.

Here is the link for more information: GP Fair - Office of Intramural Training & Education at the National Institutes of Health
Here is how to prepare: Preparing for the 2020 Virtual GP Fair - Office of Intramural Training & Education at the National Institutes of Health
Here is the agenda: 2020 Virtual Graduate & Professional School Fair Program - Office of Intramural Training & Education at the National Institutes of Health
Here are the participating schools/programs:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
The 2020 NIH GP Fair will be happening on August 4-7, 2020. This is a virtual event opened to all prospective MD/PhD and PhD applicants across the country. You don't need to be a NIH post-bac. However, you need to pre-register at the link. Most MSTP and MD/PhD programs will be attending this multi-day event. As in prior years, I highly encourage you to interact with Program Directors and Administrators of the majority of programs in the US. A couple things to know... It is unlikely that they have read already your application or decided whether to interview you. You should have a one page resume/CV ready to email (from a professionally looking email) to the PD/admin for the program. Include your AAMC ID, and perhaps photo, so that they might remember the interaction in the near future.

Our National Association of MD/PhD programs has put together a few presentations for the program, but the real meat of this fair are the one-to-one interactions in Zoom, or other software. I will be there on Friday August 7th at my MSTP booth. I look forward to interact with you.

Here is the link for more information: GP Fair - Office of Intramural Training & Education at the National Institutes of Health
Here is how to prepare: Preparing for the 2020 Virtual GP Fair - Office of Intramural Training & Education at the National Institutes of Health
Here is the agenda: 2020 Virtual Graduate & Professional School Fair Program - Office of Intramural Training & Education at the National Institutes of Health
Here are the participating schools/programs:

Thank you Fencer! This is also funny because 1) this event has been announced at the bottom of an email yesterday in the context of FAES, and 2) OITE hasn't emailed us yet, so I don't think that many IRTA/CRTAs noticed :rofl:

That said, what are you guys looking for when we come to your booths? I always have anxiety about the representatives thinking less of me for being over-eager or not saying the "right" thing to them, or them just not having much interest in me...

Reactions: 1 users
It is an opportunity for you to ask the tough questions... we are not recording you.
  • What are the typical cGPA/MCAT numbers of interviewed/accepted?
  • Do you truly interview and accept International Students?
  • What about DACA applicant?
  • I have an unresponsive research mentor (no letter), would it affect me?
  • When are you interviewing?
  • When the last set of invitations to interview happens?
  • What kind of communications you want to see (i.e.: updates)?
  • What programs do you have and what is the time to graduation for those programs?
  • Am I a good match for you or my story is not appealing to you?
  • Do you review applications truly holistically?
For example, this is evidence for holistic review (PM me or consider applying to my MSTP) - it is easy to accept an applicant with 520/3.80/5000 hrs, are you willing to TRAIN a future physician-scientist with some flaws? Not all programs do that....

Attachments

• 2018-20 applicants invited accepted MSTP.jpg
    2018-20 applicants invited accepted MSTP.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @Fencer , thanks for the notification!

Is it okay if the email we use to send CVs is not the same email linked to our AMCAS application? Or would you recommend that we use the same one linked to our AMCAS?

@Fencer Thanks for the helpful info. What type of attire should one wear, I know it is virtual...

Business casual.... No need for tie/suit/etc. Just keep in mind that you want to look like one of the MD/PhD students in their program. T-shirt is fine. If you can/need, use a "plain" virtual background. Now, this depends on the software of each program.

Here is an example that I have used for interviewing: https://cdn.hipwallpaper.com/i/97/58/1dG58m.jpg
For equity among interviewees (and reduce bias among my interviewers), I plan to use this or a similar background for all my interviewees.

Here are four different takes:

I will be doing a webinar on virtual interviewing next week, Wednesday (i believe). PM me if you want more information.

Hi @Fencer, thanks for sharing this! As someone who is going to apply next cycle, I will definitely attend to get more info about these programs, but would PD's still find it helpful for me to share my CV with them? They usually accept when I offer, but I don't really want to waste their time with that if it's not beneficial.

I receive and read all CVs that I get that are 1-2 pages. Longer CVs are generally not that helpful and/or read. Get to the point of your experiences. Focus upon the scientific question/hypothesis that you investigated, less on techniques. Include contact information and a nice/professional looking photo. If you have scores and GPAs available, add them too, as well as AAMC ID if you are applying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user