2021-2022 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted pending open seat just now! 496 MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Do we actually need a windows machine??? or will we be fine using apple products?

Do we actually need a windows machine??? or will we be fine using apple products?
Not really.. most of us use Apple products but it’s easier to navigate the lectures via windows bc most people use one note to access the lectures

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not really.. most of us use Apple products but it’s easier to navigate the lectures via windows bc most people use one note to access the lectures
I was curious if signing the chc contract or the other agreement was binding. I’m still waiting to interview at another school.

I was curious if signing the chc contract or the other agreement was binding. I’m still waiting to interview at another school.
The only thing that is binding to soma is when you pay the $1000 deposit. Unfortunately, most people end up paying it once the 2 week grace period passes to secure their spot but ends up giving up the spot once they get a better spot somewhere else. You end up losing that $1000.

Does anybody have any info on the availability of CHC locations? I recently was accepted pending open seat and being from Seattle, would love that location, but this late in the cycle i’m worried only the non desired locations are left.

Does anybody have any info on the availability of CHC locations? I recently was accepted pending open seat and being from Seattle, would love that location, but this late in the cycle i’m worried only the non desired locations are l
If you got an accepted pending a seat, that would imply all the sites are taken including Seattle. Should something open up, it will likely be in a less desirable site (but hey at least the COL is less in the non-coastal states).

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if anyone has moved up in chc preference after originally being locked in to one.

I wonder if anyone has moved up in chc preference after originally being locked in to one.
I locked in at the Brooklyn CHC in February and got offered the Portland site about a month later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if you need a car to attend this school, is transportation available? or can you walk to the grocery store, restaurant, etc.. ( is everything close by, Thanks).

Does anyone know if you need a car to attend this school, is transportation available? or can you walk to the grocery store, restaurant, etc.. ( is everything close by, Thanks).
I heard it's really impt to have a car during 1st year. I'm sure you can survive w/out one but it will be really inconvenient

They would have explicitly told you on the phone when they called you that it’s pending a seat. The email they send afterwards is worded a little strangely but it says something along the lines of a guaranteed spot next year if a seat doesn’t open up this year.
how long do they send the email afterwards?

Got the acceptance pending a seat call today! Does anyone know what the movement's like for these seat pending acceptances - do most get deferred to the guaranteed acceptance next cycle or do many get a spot this year?

Got the acceptance pending a seat call today! Does anyone know what the movement's like for these seat pending acceptances - do most get deferred to the guaranteed acceptance next cycle or do many get a spot this year?
It depends on where you rank relative to others with the same status. Consider the "Accepted pending a seat" status a glorified WL with the main benefit being a deferred admission for the following year w/ 1st dibs on your CHC. Several applicants were deferred here last cycle.

Did you get an email yet? Still waiting for one

I like to walk so I'd rather save the money. Thank you

There are some apartments that are walking distance to school, but I wouldn't recommend not having a car unless you know for sure your roommate has one/can drive you around. It gets hot .... I do remember at least one classmate walking to class and not having a car all year so it's possible.

I'm happy to answer any other questions about the school!

There are some apartments that are walking distance to school, but I wouldn't recommend not having a car unless you know for sure your roommate has one/can drive you around. It gets hot .... I do remember at least one classmate walking to class and not having a car all year so it's possible.

I'm happy to answer any other questions about the school!
Thank you for your answer. I'm still thinking about it. I know Phoenix is one of the hottest cities in the world. But I don't drive, so I know my car insurance will be high. In NY, transportation is popular.

I would recommend a car in Mesa. Walking in the 100+ degree heat for 2/3rds of the year is going to be miserable and you'll be limited in what you can do since everything spread out.

The following CHCs have open spots as of 3/27

Ridgeland, SC
Mt. Orab, OH
Alton, IL
Scranton, PA

I would recommend a car in Mesa. Walking in the 100+ degree heat for 2/3rds of the year is going to be miserable and you'll be limited in what you can do since everything spread out.
I'm not used to this weather, so a car will be better. Thank you

For people with the Mesa CHC, do most people live IN Mesa, or do a lot branch out to Chandler, Phoenix, Scottsdale etc?

Please save yourself from this school. The associate dean for student success just announced her resignation (one out of the many who has left the school) and the morale within the staff and the classes are at an all time low. We don’t even know who is teaching us anymore and we’re always using past years’ lectures to learn. Go spend your $60k+ tuition somewhere else. Even if this is your only acceptance, you are better off reapplying again.

And they do not plan on hiring new faculty members because they don’t see the need for that anymore with this PBL bull****. The dean refuses to meet with students and **** is behind all of this **** show. Don’t come here. They will blame your poor performance on not knowing how to study but when 91 people fail a final, that’s a glaring sign that the quality of education that they want to push on us is not working.
While this is disturbing to hear, is there at least a remediation process for not passing? Or what are the actual ramifications of not passing a final exam - do you get held back a year or what? Does the school intend to actually fail more than half their class b/c that would obviously look bad for the school's PR.

Last edited by a moderator:
While this is disturbing to hear, is there at least a remediation process for not passing? Or what are the actual ramifications of not passing a final exam - do you get held back a year or what? Does the school intend to actually fail more than half their class b/c that would obviously look bad for the school's PR.
They will only allow you to remediate if you fail the whole course. A lot of students were borderline passing before the final exam. From what I know, they will allow you to take another exam much later on that is completely revised from the original one. The school cares about their image so they do adjust the scores, but this clearly show the poor quality education that we are receiving. We were told that we failed because we don’t know how to study. How ridiculous must admin get to blame students for not knowing how to study if more than half of the class failed? This is even more worrying when the boards come. It’s not like the boards will adjust the scores so most of us will pass.

They will only allow you to remediate if you fail the whole course. A lot of students were borderline passing before the final exam. From what I know, they will allow you to take another exam much later on that is completely revised from the original one. The school cares about their image so they do adjust the scores, but this clearly show the poor quality education that we are receiving. We were told that we failed because we don’t know how to study. How ridiculous must admin get to blame students for not knowing how to study if more than half of the class failed? This is even more worrying when the boards come. It’s not like the boards will adjust the scores so most of us will pass.
Is this new curriculum only impacting the first year education? How does the education differ from CHC to CHC.

Is this new curriculum only impacting the first year education? How does the education differ from CHC to CHC.

In regards to the CHC, every site gets the same OMM/med skills/epidemiology/biostats course materials. How the RDMEs want to you to learn the material in-class differs.

In the terms of the clinical experience, it differs greatly between CHCs. It’s safe to say that most rural CHCs provide more opportunities to be hands-on than urban CHCs.

Any accepted students start the Fundamentals course? Wondering how much time I can expect to dedicate to it?

EDIT: I went ahead and signed up and looks like the program says you can expect to dedicate 4-6 hours a week on it. FYI for anyone curious

Last edited:
Deferred admit for Class of 2026 here, feel free to pm me if you have questions about the application / interview process, etc.
Hi! I received APS this past Feb., do you happen to know how many folks were deferred for the following year in your app cycle? Also, what month did you interview? I interviewed late Jan 2022. TIA

Last edited:
Hi! I received APS this past Feb., do you happen to know how many folks were deferred for the following year in your app cycle? Also, what month did you interview? I interviewed late Jan 2022. TIA
Dont know exactly how many were deferred. I think i interviewed around March last year

Just got a full seat after being APS since late March! Is there a facebook group or groupme? Thanks!

Nope ...which i'm surprised no movement since there's been many folks withdrawing and stuff
Could it be that they are reviewing everyone on the list and sending out acceptances on a specific day? One can only dream

Could it be that they are reviewing everyone on the list and sending out acceptances on a specific day? One can only dream
The CHC movement is after you are accepted, sorry for confusion

Looks like there's movement in one of the CA movement, anyone else got that too?