2021-2022 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people who scheduled their interviews already, did you get a confirmation email?
It took a while for me to receive the confirmation email... like maybe 3-4 days.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how the interview format is this year? Will it be 1 on 1 with 3-4 interviewers? Is there that telehealth/role-playing like last year? Will there be MMIs? I'm not sure if these violate any NDA but if it does I do apologize.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed virtually 09/03. I obviously can't promise you the format will be exactly the same going forward, but for me there were 3 interview slots. They called it "MMI", but it really wasn't. At least how I understand MMI. They were literally "mini" interviews in that they were 15 minutes each, but there was no role playing, scenarios, or any of that sort.

The first slot was the most interactive. I interviewer for a group of 3 of us. The questions seemed to emphasize the importance of/assess our thoughts on team/group activities. Very relaxed though. Nothing out of left field.

The other two were 1 on 1 interview segments. Again, nothing really unexpected. Discussed my background, why medicine, why DO, etc.

Very informative and welcoming interview session.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ATSU SOMA asks us to "describe your experience with Community Health Centers or free clinics" but I have no experience working in these environments. The closest thing I've done is interned at a clinic for the disabled, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't free. Most of the patients did have Medicaid though.

Any ideas on how to approach this? Did everyone here have experience in a community health center or free clinic?

Last edited:
ATSU SOMA asks us to "describe your experience with Community Health Centers or free clinics" but I have no experience working in these environments. The closest thing I've done is interned at a clinic for the disabled, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't free. Most of the patients did have Medicaid though.

Any ideas on how to approach this? Did everyone here have experience in a community health center or free clinic?
I didn't have experience working in a CHC, so I chose to write about my other clinical experiences.

I didn't have any experience so I talked about benefits of learning at a CHC/why I'd enjoy it. Got an interview so guess it was fine

Is there anyone that completed on or near July 27 that has received an II or still waiting to hear back?

Just got the Acceptance Call this morning!!

Look out for phone calls from Arizona!

Interviewed 8/27
498 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, OOS.

I'm sharing my stats for full transparency. I believe my experiences are what shined through and ultimately led to this Acceptance.

I'm wishing you all the same success! 😀🙏

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Interviewed 8/27
498 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, OOS.

I'm sharing my stats for full transparency. I believe my experiences are what shined through and ultimately led to this Acceptance.

congrats!!!! DR!!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users

Interviewed 8/27
498 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, OOS.

Congrats ! Did you get the hometown scholars endorsement?

Anybody know how many people they interview each cycle and what’s the acceptance % for those that interview?

Just got the call for an acceptance. :) Interviewed 8/27, OOS

Reactions: 7 users
Is there anyone that completed on or near July 27 that has received an II or still waiting to hear back?
I was complete 7/14 and haven’t heard anything

Got an email earlier today that said I was "selected as an alternate." Interviewed 8/27
GPA: 3.6 MCAT: 507

Does anyone know if they have both an accepted pending list and an alternate list like last year's thread mentioned or just an alternate list this year?

I know this may be a dumb question but are we supposed to list hours worked per week for each semester of our undergrad? What do they mean by describe?
Is that what they are looking for?

Describe any hrs/week of employment that may have coincided/impacted your academic work during each semester.
what if you did not work while in undergrad?

Does anyone know if we can use 1 activity as one of the most significant for both clinical experience and community service? I volunteered at a hospital and was wondering if I could use it for both

Is it okay if we just copy and paste the AACOMAS works and activities descriptions for the questions on volunteering and clinical? Its very redundant. What has everyone else done?

Is it okay if we just copy and paste the AACOMAS works and activities descriptions for the questions on volunteering and clinical? Its very redundant. What has everyone else done?
this question can be answered by reading earlier messages on the thread!

I just copied pasted!

Interviewed 8/27
498 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, OOS.

Congrats!! What experiences do you think shined through? I have similar stats so jw. Also, did you apply to KCOM as well?

accepted people: We only need to pay the first deposit (acceptance deposit) to secure our CHC locations right? I know there's a second (pre-registration) deposit but I didn't know if I should rush to get that it to give me best chances at my top spot for CHCs.

accepted people: We only need to pay the first deposit (acceptance deposit) to secure our CHC locations right? I know there's a second (pre-registration) deposit but I didn't know if I should rush to get that it to give me best chances at my top spot for CHCs.
That's correct! following your acceptance call, you will have the chance to rank your CHCs (unfortunately, you won't know which CHCs are even still available when you rank....typically most of the desired CHC spots like the CA sites, NY, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Hawaii, and the AZ sites all fill up before any of the other sites). You then pay the first $1,000 deposit, and only then will you hear back which CHC you are assigned to. The 2nd $1,000 deposit is not due for a few months after that (I think December 1st for students that are now hearing back).

Keep in mind, some CHC sites require more traveling than others, so factor that into your selection (when you go to rank your CHCs, you will have access to various ppt slides of each of the different CHCs and contact info for the physicians leading that CHC should you have specific questions). Also, keep in mind, that plenty of shuffling happens as people withdraw their acceptances throughout the application year, so even if you don't initially get your top CHC choice, you may still get it later on in the cycle assuming that site opens up later on. In general, ATSU doesn't allow trading CHC spots with other students anymore.

That's correct! following your acceptance call, you will have the chance to rank your CHCs (unfortunately, you won't know which CHCs are even still available when you rank....typically most of the desired CHC spots like the CA sites, NY, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Hawaii, and the AZ sites all fill up before any of the other sites). You then pay the first $1,000 deposit, and only then will you hear back which CHC you are assigned to. The 2nd $1,000 deposit is not due for a few months after that (I think December 1st for students that are now hearing back).

Keep in mind, some CHC sites require more traveling than others, so factor that into your selection (when you go to rank your CHCs, you will have access to various ppt slides of each of the different CHCs and contact info for the physicians leading that CHC should you have specific questions). Also, keep in mind, that plenty of shuffling happens as people withdraw their acceptances throughout the application year, so even if you don't initially get your top CHC choice, you may still get it later on in the cycle assuming that site opens up later on. In general, ATSU doesn't allow trading CHC spots with other students anymore.

Why don't they allow trading spots?

Why don't they allow trading spots?
I've heard it previously was too much of an administrative headache for the school, so they did away with allowing trading...maybe things will be different this coming year with a new Dean / new curriculum but who knows...

Awesome thanks for the reply. Exactly what I was wondering

app considered complete on 7/13 and they've ghosted me.

What's your source for this information? It's a DO school and it's not even October. That seems... unlikely...
There was some information that was posted awhile back on this thread that stated that the school offered too many acceptances last year and many people chose to accept. Due to the limit of seats last year, the school deferred many of the students to this year. I believe this is what is being referred to.

Reactions: 2 users
There was some information that was posted awhile back on this thread that stated that the school offered too many acceptances last year and many people chose to accept. Due to the limit of seats last year, the school deferred many of the students to this year. I believe this is what is being referred to.
I see. To me, that suggests that they will send fewer acceptances this year, but I still wouldn't expect them to be completely filled by late September. I heard that they only overshot by a few students, not a large number like 50 that would severely cut the number of admits this cycle.

I see. To me, that suggests that they will send fewer acceptances this year, but I still wouldn't expect them to be completely filled by late September. I heard that they only overshot by a few students, not a large number like 50 that would severely cut the number of admits this cycle.
I had heard they overhot 150 students.

Oh geez, that's basically the whole class. Hopefully many of them had other acceptances.
Yeah... If you look at the school thread from last year, there were 160 accepted pending seat (APS), but around 60 or so ended up getting offered spots there or elsewhere, so the remaining 100 or so were offered admission for fall 2022 matriculation. They also get their first choice CHC.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got an email notifying me of my CHC selection has been locked in. Got my top choice, just for those concerned about spacing due to the overflow from last year's acceptances.

I submitted my selections and deposit on Sept 17 I think. Good luck to everyone trying to get a specific CHC location!

I just got an email notifying me of my CHC selection has been locked in. Got my top choice, just for those concerned about spacing due to the overflow from last year's acceptances.

I submitted my selections and deposit on Sept 17 I think. Good luck to everyone trying to get a specific CHC location!
How long did it take to receive the call from ATSU with an offer after the interview?