2021-2022 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an invite to complete the secondary! One important thing is that they include the questions in the email to complete the secondary and tell you to prepare your answers in advance. It says once you start the secondary you have to complete it, there is no option to save information and return later.

These are the questions:

STEP 1. ESSAY QUESTION: Before starting your supplemental application, you should prepare a response to the following essay question. You will be limited to a 500-word count for the question. Save the essay. You will be able to cut & paste your response in the specific text box in the application.

a. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

b. What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

In addition to the essay, a series of questions will follow that must be answered.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an invite to complete the secondary! One important thing is that they include the questions in the email to complete the secondary and tell you to prepare your answers in advance. It says once you start the secondary you have to complete it, there is no option to save information and return later.

These are the questions:

STEP 1. ESSAY QUESTION: Before starting your supplemental application, you should prepare a response to the following essay question. You will be limited to a 500-word count for the question. Save the essay. You will be able to cut & paste your response in the specific text box in the application.

a. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

b. What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

In addition to the essay, a series of questions will follow that must be answered.
I got the same email! Did they send you the second email with the portal necessary to complete the secondary? I only got the email you mentioned just now.

rising 2nd year, feel free to DM me with any questions you have about ACOM

I got the same email! Did they send you the second email with the portal necessary to complete the secondary? I only got the email you mentioned just now.
I did not get the portal to the secondary, I checked my spam too, they said it comes in a separate email but I don't have it yet

Reactions: 1 user
I did not get the portal to the secondary, I checked my spam too, they said it comes in a separate email but I don't have it yet
Same I did not get the email with the link to the portal yet

Secondary rcvd but haven’t received the other email either!

hey guys! I just called ACOM and they said they are aware of the issue and currently working on it. they'll let us know asap once its resolved :)

Reactions: 2 users
Did you guys see that the secondary questions have nothing to do with the two questions that they sent us on the email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait how do you access the portal...I never got the link to the personal site mentioned in the secondary email

EDIT: Never mind if anyone is having the same issue I am in keep searching in your junk mail mine was buried in there.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this! What would you say you like and dislike most about ACOM?
dislike- right now there is a 50% mandatory attendance policy, honestly have no idea what that will be like since we have been on zoom for the last year. The school is willing to listen to changes suggested by the students, but implementing any changes takes a long time so you might not see a change
Like- awesome sim lab run by duel certified GS/IM doc which was way better organized than any SIM center I saw while I interviewed. We have down to earth approachable faculty, for the most part. good advising as far as residency applications from what I heard from 3/4th years. they provide pathoma and Uworld subscriptions. I hear OMM is going p/f no conformations yet though. also a fishing pond on campus, where elese has that!

dislike- right now there is a 50% mandatory attendance policy, honestly have no idea what that will be like since we have been on zoom for the last year. The school is willing to listen to changes suggested by the students, but implementing any changes takes a long time so you might not see a change
Like- awesome sim lab run by duel certified GS/IM doc which was way better organized than any SIM center I saw while I interviewed. We have down to earth approachable faculty, for the most part. good advising as far as residency applications from what I heard from 3/4th years. they provide pathoma and Uworld subscriptions. I hear OMM is going p/f no conformations yet though. also a fishing pond on campus, where elese has that!

Thank you for this response :) ACOM is one of my top choices so I’m glad to hear the good and bad

Wait how do you access the portal...I never got the link to the personal site mentioned in the secondary email

EDIT: Never mind if anyone is having the same issue I am in keep searching in your junk mail mine was buried in there.
I made a new email just for admission and I didn’t get one. Guess I’ll email Monday morning doubt they will be working on the weekend

Did you guys see that the secondary questions have nothing to do with the two questions that they sent us on the email?
I saw that the second email had one question whereas the first email had two. Have you opened up the actual secondary? What were the questions?

I don’t want to risk answering the wrong prompt and then having to hurry and edit...

I saw that the second email had one question whereas the first email had two. Have you opened up the actual secondary? What were the questions?

I don’t want to risk answering the wrong prompt and then having to hurry and edit...
1. Describe how specific attributes of ACOM’s mission and core values align with your professional goals and personal attributes?
2. The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine promotes values and equity from various cultural, social, and economic backgrounds. Discuss the role that diversity played in your decision to become an osteopathic medical school applicant.
3. What are your personal attributes that demonstrate the osteopathic philosophy?

This is what I saw when I logged in and then I just copied the prompts onto a google doc to work on later. There is a 500-word limit on each!

1. Describe how specific attributes of ACOM’s mission and core values align with your professional goals and personal attributes?
2. The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine promotes values and equity from various cultural, social, and economic backgrounds. Discuss the role that diversity played in your decision to become an osteopathic medical school applicant.
3. What are your personal attributes that demonstrate the osteopathic philosophy?

This is what I saw when I logged in and then I just copied the prompts onto a google doc to work on later. There is a 500-word limit on each!
I have completely different questions…I wonder if they’re different for everyone.

I have completely different questions…I wonder if they’re different for everyone.

SAME!

Weird! I got the questions you typed in an email but when I log on into the portal I get the ones I typed :0

Weird! I got the questions you typed in an email but when I log on into the portal I get the ones I typed :0
How do I log in and see the secondary ? I go to the micro site and I just see my checklist and nothing else resembling here’s your secondary

Oh wow that is different! I heard you have to complete it once you start the application, where you able to go back later after you typed it on a doc?

How do I log in and see the secondary ? I go to the micro site and I just see my checklist and nothing else resembling here’s your secondary
In the second email they sent me there is a blue button that says "Supplemental Application" on it. Clicking that redirects me to their website where I am prompted to enter my password and then I can view the secondary.

Oh wow that is different! I heard you have to complete it once you start the application, where you able to go back later after you typed it on a doc?
Yep! I didn't click submit so I didn't encounter any problem with it when I exited out

Are you all hitting the 500 word count for

“what are your personal attributes that demonstrate the osteopathic philosophy “ question

I’m stuck at 300 and I want to get closer.

“what are your personal attributes that demonstrate the osteopathic philosophy “ question

I would try to dive a little deeper, get that word count up a tad!

Lol I am in the same boat. What was your word count for the other two questions, mine was nowhere near 500.

Lol I am in the same boat. What was your word count for the other two questions, mine was nowhere near 500.
Honestly I think as long as you guys are getting across what you are trying to convey then you should be fine. I wouldn’t worry too much about trying to be as close as possible to 500 words.

I reached 500 for the other two. Just think the osteopathic question may be more important.

It says my Casper test was graded and sent to ACOM but I have yet to receive what my percentile/quadrant my score fell into. I took it 5/20. Has anyone else not heard anything back for their Casper score? I'll probably call them soon

It says my Casper test was graded and sent to ACOM but I have yet to receive what my percentile/quadrant my score fell into. I took it 5/20. Has anyone else not heard anything back for their Casper score? I'll probably call them soon
Casper doesn’t give you a score. Atleast that’s how they did it when I took it 2 years ago.

Casper doesn’t give you a score. Atleast that’s how they did it when I took it 2 years ago.
This year they're giving out what quartile your score fell into. So not the score but like if you were in the 2nd quadrant it means you were in the 25-50th percentile. I've seen other people that get their report back but not me.

This year they're giving out what quartile your score fell into. So not the score but like if you were in the 2nd quadrant it means you were in the 25-50th percentile. I've seen other people that get their report back but not me.
interesting thanks for the information

Yes. Just checked to make sure I did the correct casper exam. Would hate to retake that.
Me too. I took the correct one so I was wondering if it was just a general email being sent out. Took it 06/03 and results were delivered, but it doesn’t show up as checked on my supplementary page.

How did you see which exam you took? Is there a way to check the code?
I just logged in take Casper and looked at my reservation for the exam I took. It tells you the code

How did your class do on Anatomy/Molec?
we did first 7/8 weeks anatomy rest of the semester molec. They are going back to anatomy/molec at the same this year so I guess they did not like how it went. I personally liked it but a lot of students did not.

we did first 7/8 weeks anatomy rest of the semester molec. They are going back to anatomy/molec at the same this year so I guess they did not like how it went. I personally liked it but a lot of students did not.
Any idea how many had to repeat?

Any idea how many had to repeat?
20 or so. Which we are a larger class and a lot of the repeat students said it was more to do with COVID restrictions and not being able to find a study group. But I think the combo of experimenting with the curriculum and COVID was just a 💩storm. How many repeated in your class? i keep hearing diffrent numbers for normal

• Care
20 or so. Which we are a larger class and a lot of the repeat students said it was more to do with COVID restrictions and not being able to find a study group. But I think the combo of experimenting with the curriculum and COVID was just a 💩storm. How many repeated in your class? i keep hearing diffrent numbers for normal
I believe 4 total. I think the curriculum flip and COVID honestly messed a lot of people up. I looked at a few first year schedules and it was just too much; especially for anatomy. I'm glad they're going back to the old schedule.