2021-2022 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been to the open house? If so, what was your opinion of it? Debating whether to register for the upcoming one. It's quite long, but I'll go (or should I say e-go) if it's worth the time.

Congratulations to those with interview invites and acceptances! Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have about ACOM as deposit deadlines approach. I will answer them to the best of my ability and help you make the most informed decision regarding your medical education. To those waiting on interviews or on the waitlist, I wish you the best of luck. Stay hopeful! Many of my classmates were taken off the waitlist later in the spring. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, does anyone know if the committee also gives out interviews based on state residency? For example, if you look at previous year's matriculants, many are from Florida, while only one is from Utah. Does this mean they must have given out a lot more interviews to applicants from Florida, and only a handful to applicants from Utah?

Hi, does anyone know if the committee also gives out interviews based on state residency? For example, if you look at previous year's matriculants, many are from Florida, while only one is from Utah. Does this mean they must have given out a lot more interviews to applicants from Florida, and only a handful to applicants from Utah?
I don't think so. I think not many people from Utah applied maybe or there aren't many pre-meds in Utah compared to states like Florida and Cali.

No, its just based on volume of applications.

hi y'all! do you know if/ when ACOM offers any scholarships?
The only ACOM scholarship is a primary care repayment based one provided with an agreement from Blue Cross. You commit to specializing in FM, IM, peds or psych. They pay for your 3rd and 4th year tuition (~$120k) and in return you commit to working in an underserved county in Alabama with a population under 50k (which is all of them).

There's also two fellows programs with either the anatomy/osteopathic department or with clinical skills. You take a year in between 2nd and 3rd year to work as a TA/Fellow. Your 3rd year tuition is waived and you are paid ~$15k for the fellowship year. You also complete a masters in education during the fellowship year and get to pick your core site afterwards.

Reactions: 2 users
I know several Utah students in every year currently. It is just a response bias, alot more students from FL, GA, and AL apply here than UT and so alot more students from this area attend.

I know several Utah students in every year currently. It is just a response bias, alot more students from FL, GA, and AL apply here than UT and so alot more students from this area attend.
From what the director of admissions said at an event she hosted at my school, they do have a preference. She said preference is given to AL, FL, and GA students. However, anyone out-of-state can apply.

From what the director of admissions said at an event she hosted at my school, they do have a preference. She said preference is given to AL, FL, and GA students. However, anyone out-of-state can apply.
Yes, this is may be true but it is not a preference like schools that are state funded and have in and out of state requirements. I do not think an applicant that is not from the tri-state area is very disadvantaged.

Reactions: 1 user
No, its just based on volume of applications.

The only ACOM scholarship is a primary care repayment based one provided with an agreement from Blue Cross. You commit to specializing in FM, IM, peds or psych. They pay for your 3rd and 4th year tuition (~$120k) and in return you commit to working in an underserved county in Alabama with a population under 50k (which is all of them).

There's also two fellows programs with either the anatomy/osteopathic department or with clinical skills. You take a year in between 2nd and 3rd year to work as a TA/Fellow. Your 3rd year tuition is waived and you are paid ~$15k for the fellowship year. You also complete a masters in education during the fellowship year and get to pick your core site afterwards.
Thank you so much for your help!!! I really appreciate this info

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this is may be true but it is not a preference like schools that are state funded and have in and out of state requirements. I do not think an applicant that is not from the tri-state area is very disadvantaged.
You’re absolutely correct. The committee does not make their selection based on any of the criterion aforementioned. Chiefly, if the applicant can fit the mission and vision of the school, that holds more weight in the selection process.

Last edited:
I am coming to Dothan this Friday for a campus tour with a couple of my friends. I was wondering if any current students might have time to meet up and show us around (or provide suggestions).

I am coming to Dothan this Friday for a campus tour with a couple of my friends. I was wondering if any current students might have time to meet up and show us around (or provide suggestions).
I wont be able to meet up but DM if you want suggestions for food

It’s going to be hard finding current students willing to show you around right now because we have a decent amount of exams/OSCE this week and next.

Reactions: 1 users
I remember from the interview day that one of the faculty members mentioned how admissions committee would be assessing the waitlist before they leave for winter break. Then, they'll look again in the Spring. Just wanted to make sure-- did I remember that correctly? For students who were on the waitlist and got accepted, were any of y'all accepted in December? Just trying to gauge how the cycle runs as far as waitlist goes. Currently on the waitlist. Waitlist people we got this!!

Can someone message me how their interview at ACOM went and any advice they might have?

Can someone message me how their interview at ACOM went and any advice they might have?
I'll just say that it is a very laid back and no stress interview. Practice the basic interview questions and make sure you can articulate why ACOM specifically. It's very short compared to other interviews (about 25 minutes).

Reactions: 1 users
For those who have been accepted into the 2026 class please join this group chat: You're invited to my new group 'ACOM Class of 2026' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Hey does anyone know the attrition rate of ACOM? The only info I could find were from really old threads

Hey does anyone know the attrition rate of ACOM? The only info I could find were from really old threads
"Normal" attrition is 3-6%. Students finishing on time is 85-90%.
Last year was a bit rough due to COVID and restructuring the anatomy/molecular medicine courses and I think close to a quarter of the first year class failed out/had to repeat.

"Normal" attrition is 3-6%. Students finishing on time is 85-90%.
Last year was a bit rough due to COVID and restructuring the anatomy/molecular medicine courses and I think close to a quarter of the first year class failed out/had to repeat.
Wasn't a quarter, but was a lot. A bit above 10% iirc

Hello everyone! I'm currently sitting on an II and have been trying to come up with a strategy in between jumping for joy over my first II! I have a pretty strong application aside from my MCAT score and decided to retake in January. For 10 months I have worked as a medical scribe and it has been a great experience but it has also been very distracting. For those of you who are at ACOM or interviewed, how do you think ACOM will weight MCAT/ experiences? I've been pondering with the idea of resigning as a scribe and committing to the MCAT but I'm concerned that resigning as a scribe will be a red flag. I should also mention my MCAT is pretty low compared to last years cohort. Thanks y'all!

Hello everyone! I'm currently sitting on an II and have been trying to come up with a strategy in between jumping for joy over my first II! I have a pretty strong application aside from my MCAT score and decided to retake in January. For 10 months I have worked as a medical scribe and it has been a great experience but it has also been very distracting. For those of you who are at ACOM or interviewed, how do you think ACOM will weight MCAT/ experiences? I've been pondering with the idea of resigning as a scribe and committing to the MCAT but I'm concerned that resigning as a scribe will be a red flag. I should also mention my MCAT is pretty low compared to last years cohort. Thanks y'all!
Take what I am about to say with a grain of salt because I am obviously not an adcom. If you got an II they are fine with your MCAT. Also, how long have you been studying for the MCAT up until this point? If I were you I would focus on crushing your interview and getting your well deserved A!!! But again, just one pre-med's opinion!

Take what I am about to say with a grain of salt because I am obviously not an adcom. If you got an II they are fine with your MCAT. Also, how long have you been studying for the MCAT up until this point? If I were you I would focus on crushing your interview and getting your well deserved A!!! But again, just one pre-med's opinion!
Well I got a II, and my MCAT score is not the greatest. Therefore, I got waitlisted. They knew my MCAT score before I interviewed, but it got me a spot on the waitlist instead of an A. Sadly, I am unsure I will ever be removed from the waitlist, as I don't think this school has much movement. If it does, it hasn't thus far.

Well I got a II, and my MCAT score is not the greatest. Therefore, I got waitlisted. They knew my MCAT score before I interviewed, but it got me a spot on the waitlist instead of an A. Sadly, I am unsure I will ever be removed from the waitlist, as I don't think this school has much movement. If it does, it hasn't thus far.

The director of admissions said yesterday that 35-40% of the waitlist get moved up.

Wasn't a quarter, but was a lot. A bit above 10% iirc
I might be misremembering it as 25% instead of 25 students. Either way, it's a lot more than past years.

I head that a similar number are in danger of failing this year as well. Doesn’t seem like it would be a Covid issue. Maybe just the combo of anatomy and molecular medicine in the first semester?
First year has always been Anatomy + Molecular medicine. It used to be both classes ran parallel but they changed it up so you did one course at a time. It seemed like a good idea but there might've just been too much on the anatomy side.

I might be misremembering it as 25% instead of 25 students. Either way, it's a lot more than past years.

First year has always been Anatomy + Molecular medicine. It used to be both classes ran parallel but they changed it up so you did one course at a time. It seemed like a good idea but there might've just been too much on the anatomy side.
yeah it was about 25ish.

C/O 25 is back to parallel anat/molec, and they're having the same issues we did.

Do you know if ACOM is more lenient (will allow you to retake courses) or more strict (will outright dismiss you)? I was recently accepted and am ecstatic but am a little worried about the pressure of possibly facing remediation or dismissal if something went horribly wrong.

Do you know if ACOM is more lenient (will allow you to retake courses) or more strict (will outright dismiss you)? I was recently accepted and am ecstatic but am a little worried about the pressure of possibly facing remediation or dismissal if something went horribly wrong.
first semester, failing either anatomy or molec will result in instant remediation with the next class. Once you get to systems (second semester), you can remediate one block. If you fail 2 blocks, you're dismissed. it's a pretty strict system.

first semester, failing either anatomy or molec will result in instant remediation with the next class. Once you get to systems (second semester), you can remediate one block. If you fail 2 blocks, you're dismissed. it's a pretty strict system.
For a rough estimate, how many students did you know that got outright dismissed?

For a rough estimate, how many students did you know that got outright dismissed?
So far, from our initial class 2 that I know of outright dismissed. I think there are some people repeating who aren't going to make it again. So probably a couple more from that.

I should note that if you fail a systems course, and then fail the remediation exam for that system, that's also immediate dismissal.

I got an email today saying they reviewed my application and that "The Admissions Committee has not selected you for an interview at this time.". The email went on to say I should keep my application updated to increase my chances of an interview. Any pointers on where to go from here for people who have been in this position/are in this position? This school is ideal for me since it isn't too far from home and I am looking for a community-based model of medical education. I have an MCAT retake coming up in January as well since I am in the lower end of the MCAT score.

I talked with a current student who is taking molec and anatomy right now. Maybe I am misreading your response but are you saying that you take them simultaneously or separately?

I talked with a current student who is taking molec and anatomy right now. Maybe I am misreading your response but are you saying that you take them simultaneously or separately?
They switched it to separately for one year then went back to parallel I believe.

So far, from our initial class 2 that I know of outright dismissed. I think there are some people repeating who aren't going to make it again. So probably a couple more from that.

I should note that if you fail a systems course, and then fail the remediation exam for that system, that's also immediate dismissal.

Definitely some repeating that won’t make it unfortunately.

• Sad

It is back to simultaneously taken. It’s definitely doable. Just gotta keep your head down.

Paid my deposit 2 days ago and received a confirmation email from Dr. Reynolds the next day! So excited to have officially secured my seat and can’t wait to meet every single one of my future classmates and current students next Fall! :)

I was accepted back in August and ACOM was the first medical school to extend an offer to me. Because of that, this place holds a special place in my heart. It took 4 months of meticulously comparing the 8 programs that have offered me a seat in their program to FINALLY make a decision before the deadline, but I am confident that ACOM is the best fit for me!! I cant get over how much I fell in love with this place after visiting :)

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Paid my deposit 2 days ago and received a confirmation email from Dr. Reynolds the next day! So excited to have officially secured my seat and can’t wait to meet every single one of my future classmates and current students next Fall! :)

I was accepted back in August and ACOM was the first medical school to extend an offer to me. Because of that, this place holds a special place in my heart. It took 4 months of meticulously comparing the 8 programs that have offered me a seat in their program to FINALLY make a decision before the deadline, but I am confident that ACOM is the best fit for me!! I cant get over how much I fell in love with this place after visiting :)
Huge congratulations! That's awesome that you found such a great fit! Could you elaborate more on your favorite aspects of ACOM from your visit?

Just had my interview this morning with ACOM!!!!! Felt like it went pretty well, anyone have any ideas on how quickly I’ll hear back??? I’ve seen some people on this thread talk about hearing back the same day and others hear back a week later. Is there any reasoning behind this?

Just had my interview this morning with ACOM!!!!! Felt like it went pretty well, anyone have any ideas on how quickly I’ll hear back??? I’ve seen some people on this thread talk about hearing back the same day and others hear back a week later. Is there any reasoning behind this?
That's great! It is typically by the following Thursday. At least that's from what I understand.

Would anyone be willing to do a mock interview with me? Feeling nervous!

Would anyone be willing to do a mock interview with me? Feeling nervous!
If I wasnt at work right now then I definitely would but TRUST me the interview day put forth by ACOM is so relaxed!!

Hey now, no time to be nervous! Be confident in yourself! I mean think about it…out of the roughly 8000+ people that applied to their program, they select only ~700 students to interview…

Lemme repeat that: out of EIGHT THOUSAND APPLICANTS, they chose SEVEN HUNDRED to interview…
YOU are one of those 700 people and that ALONE is something that you should be so damn proud of.
Replay these words in your head over and over, know why you want to be a physician (specifically why DO), know why ACOM, and you my friend will be receiving some good news within a weeks time :)

They already want you, so go out there and prove to them that you deserve a seat in the incoming class!! Reaffirm what they already love about you on paper, prove them right!

If I wasnt at work right now then I definitely would but TRUST me the interview day put forth by ACOM is so relaxed!!

Hey now, no time to be nervous! Be confident in yourself! I mean think about it…out of the roughly 8000+ people that applied to their program, they select only ~700 students to interview…

Lemme repeat that: out of EIGHT THOUSAND APPLICANTS, they chose SEVEN HUNDRED to interview…
YOU are one of those 700 people and that ALONE is something that you should be so damn proud of.
Replay these words in your head over and over, know why you want to be a physician (specifically why DO), know why ACOM, and you my friend will be receiving some good news within a weeks time :)

They already want you, so go out there and prove to them that you deserve a seat in the incoming class!! Reaffirm what they already love about you on paper, prove them right!
Haha after reading this I definitely feel more confident and inspired. Thank you :)

I feel like you were the designated pep talker before any sporting activity, everyone needs someone like you around!