2021-2022 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heard today that the entire class is full at ACOM. Is that true? I know someone who got in from the waitlist yesterday. They are interviewing until end of March, so why would they if the class is full?
On my interview day back in December, an administrator said they only had 60 students deposit so I don’t know how accurate that is. I highly doubt that they would fill up the class this early. That would imply that all interviews from this point would result in a WL or R.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I have my interview soon, does anyone have any tips? I was just wondering about the format, if it was blind, if it was more conversational/ethics-based/MMI or patient simulation based, enjoyable, who the interviewer was, etc. Thanks so much! A little nervous especially since it's so late in the cycle, but I'd really appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone! I have my interview soon, does anyone have any tips? I was just wondering about the format, if it was blind, if it was more conversational/ethics-based/MMI or patient simulation based, enjoyable, who the interviewer was, etc. Thanks so much! A little nervous especially since it's so late in the cycle, but I'd really appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance!
They were incredibly kind, very conversational. Relax and be yourself. I personally used the SDN questions about ACOM and I felt prepared. It was open file because they asked me specific points in my application.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
You're the first person i've heard actually bad-mouth ACOM online. Can you elaborate further on why you feel this way?
Meh it’s because threads get buried. When I was a student there was a lot of comments on the school. I was even vocal myself. Looking back, ACOM is not great (paternalistic to a fault) but having many DO students rotate through my service as a resident, it’s not the worst by any stretch.
I see your points but still hold true to my stance. There are only study spaces available because of the hybrid model in place because of COVID. The numbers faculty provides for the failure rate are incorrect and misleading to prospective students. There were around 30 students and around 20 students fail the past two years in their first semester. The things to do outside of college are kind of subjective so I won't touch on that. The faculty and staff do not review each others' slides before lecturing and many contradict each other. The advising department is not proactive in trying to help students and their curriculum is being experimented with every new class. I would recommend going to a more established institution that have proven their curriculum works and has a more dedicated staff.
ACOMs advising was absolute trash when I was there and I don’t expect it to be better.
I am just sending a warning to prospective students about the ever-changing ways that ACOM has implemented. They rarely place students in competitive residences unless they have connections into those fields. The MATCH rates for any school are skewed because of PGY-1 or PGY-2 students or students who had to repeat during their time there; so incoming students should really look into the data themselves and not go by the percentages advertised. They also don't include their grading policies, such as having over a 70 average on exams-only in molecular medicine, in their handbook but rather only disclose this to students when they receive the syllabus when they are already enrolled. To be successful in any medical school you have to be an outstanding student and dedicated but the policies and lack of in ACOM's case do not promote a student's success. Any prospective student should evaluate their options before deciding to come here.
My class had a decent number of competitive matches. Only one had connections (optho) the 5 orthos had none. They just busted their tail.
Good choice. This place is not worth it to go to. This is coming from a second year who has been through most of what ACOM has to offer.
You’ve seen almost half of what ACOM has to offer. Their preclinical rotations are sub par for sure but their clinical rotations are better than most new DO schools. Most ACOM students that rotate through our service have good reviews. There are a fair few other new schools (and more established than ACOM too) that can’t even present a patient, make a ddx, or have a decent management plan. Even though ACOM is preceptor based, they do a decent job of preparing a student for audition rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
Meh it’s because threads get buried. When I was a student there was a lot of comments on the school. I was even vocal myself. Looking back, ACOM is not great (paternalistic to a fault) but having many DO students rotate through my service as a resident, it’s not the worst by any stretch.

ACOMs advising was absolute trash when I was there and I don’t expect it to be better.

My class had a decent number of competitive matches. Only one had connections (optho) the 5 orthos had none. They just busted their tail.

You’ve seen almost half of what ACOM has to offer. Their preclinical rotations are sub par for sure but their clinical rotations are better than most new DO schools. Most ACOM students that rotate through our service have good reviews. There are a fair few other new schools (and more established than ACOM too) that can’t even present a patient, make a ddx, or have a decent management plan. Even though ACOM is preceptor based, they do a decent job of preparing a student for audition rotations.
advising is still bad haha

I have my interview coming up and would be forever grateful if someone wants to volunteer their time to do a mock interview with me! I took the week off from work and can work around your schedule.

Hi all, I plan on declining my interview which is scheduled for next friday. I was accepted into my top program and want to give another applicant a chance. however, I was wondering if i should email to decline in addition to canceling on the microsite? this is the first time i am declining an offer and i dont want to put myself in a bad light.

Hi all, I plan on declining my interview which is scheduled for next friday. I was accepted into my top program and want to give another applicant a chance. however, I was wondering if i should email to decline in addition to canceling on the microsite? this is the first time i am declining an offer and i dont want to put myself in a bad light.
probably both?
and thanks for declining. As someone with no II, I appreciate it <3
and congrats on the A!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my first A !! Interviewed 1/28

Waitlisted unfortunately, hopefully some movement later in the cycle!

Waitlisted unfortunately, hopefully some movement later in the cycle!
I just wonder how late is later in the cycle. I have to look for housing at the place I plan to attend and I was hoping to hear from this school and a couple of others before I started paying for housing other places.

I just wonder how late is later in the cycle. I have to look for housing at the place I plan to attend and I was hoping to hear from this school and a couple of others before I started paying for housing other places.
I think everyone who gets waitlisted somewhere they'd like to attend is in the same boat. While I am quite happy with the acceptances I do have, I am on waitlist for my top choice. I think once May/June comes around we should have a better sense of where we're going and just have to scramble to get housing. If you have an acceptance though, I would definitely look into housing around april at least casually.

Still on interview waitlist sigh wishing for some hope

• Care
Accepted 2/10! Interviewed last week!

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted, but I was anticipating that. I had a great interview, but you just can’t beat something concrete like stats. Hoping for the best.

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted, but I was anticipating that. I had a great interview, but you just can’t beat something concrete like stats. Hoping for the best.
Fellow waitlister. Don’t sell yourself short! You did your best and there will be plenty of movement/turnover in the coming months. Best to stay patient and remain hopeful!

Reactions: 2 users
Was taken off pre-II waitlist, so it is not a de facto R. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.
Edit: A 2/17

Last edited:
On the waitlist as well. Interviewed a few weeks ago.

Was accepted but decided to decline my offer! Does anyone know where I can actually decline the offer?

Really wish I could have interviewed at ACOM. But they wouldn't accept my physician LOR and I couldn't get it fixed within a reasonable time. Oh well.

yup and not sure if they are still interviewing.
When I went to the open house. I believe they said they are interviewing till April but they might have sent out all the interview invites a while ago….

When I went to the open house. I believe they said they are interviewing till April but they might have sent out all the interview invites a while ago….
I did see someone get an interview in like December for April so I do think they might be done sending out the invites.

Hi everyone, would applying here with a 496 MCAT score be alright?

Just got the call and was invited to interview in a week after being on Pre-|| waitlist since the end of August! HOPE!! I'm incredibly nervous and if anyone has any tips that would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the call and was invited to interview in a week after being on Pre-|| waitlist since the end of August! HOPE!! I'm incredibly nervous and if anyone has any tips that would be greatly appreciated.
Congrats! Mind sharing stats?

My one tip is to be yourself! Show them why you would be an excellent contribution to their medical school. I had a great interview day experience and am sure you will too.

Anyone else having trouble getting accepted to the class of 2026 facebook group?

Hey everyone! I did my interview at ACOM back in 09/17/2021. I got WAITLISTED 09/22/2021.

What are my chances of getting off the waitlist? During my interview, they said that people would get off the waitlist around April - May. However, it seems that someone posted that they got off the waitlist and had interviewed around the same time I did.

This is a school that I would really like to attend!

II through PHONE on 3/2/22 for 3/4/22 interview. Apparently, there was an opening!

• Wow
Just withdrew my acceptance here! Hope it goes to one of y’all

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else having trouble getting accepted to the class of 2026 facebook group?
Students that run the Facebook group add people as the administration updates the list of accepted students, so it can take some time. It took me a couple weeks when I was accepted 2 years ago

Can anyone provide insights into how fast Summerfield fills up? Do I need to reserve it now, or can I wait 'til later and still find a spot? I'm still unsure of what school I'll end up at, and the housing deposit on top of the seat deposit is quite a lot of money.

Can anyone provide insights into how fast Summerfield fills up? Do I need to reserve it now, or can I wait 'til later and still find a spot? I'm still unsure of what school I'll end up at, and the housing deposit on top of the seat deposit is quite a lot of money.
I emailed them and they told me they were out of 1 bedroom apartments, it may change closer to the semester

Summerfield typically fills up pretty quick, but in my opinion if you don't mind a 3 minute drive to campus there are much better housing options, and cheaper