2021-2022 Arizona, Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Morningnight for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Arizona, Phoenix Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. For re-applicants, 1000 characters to explain how you are a stronger applicant this cycle.
  2. If you were to describe the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix to someone else, what would you share with them? (1000 character limit)
  3. What achievement are you most proud of in your life? What aspect(s) of this achievement will you bring to our medical school? (1000 character limit)
  4. The UA College of Medicine - Phoenix practices Inclusive Excellence, which celebrates the differences, talents, and unique qualities of all individuals. Please describe how you will pursue Inclusive Excellence in your studies while contributing to the collaborative environment at the College of Medicine - Phoenix. (1000 character limit)
  5. Servant Leadership is a Core Value and Attribute we deem essential for our students to possess. To us, it is service to others where one possesses personal humility along with a strong professional will. Describe a time where you have practiced this skill or have seen this in another. What traits were exemplified, and how will you apply these traits to your career in medicine? (1000 character limit)
  6. Were there any significant disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? (OPTIONAL) (1000 character limit)
  7. Please reflect on your entire application, is there anything you would like to further share with the Admissions Committee? Items to consider: connection(s) to Phoenix and/or our medical community, why College of Medicine - Phoenix, your plan during this application season, gap(s) in your education, personal and/or academic challenges. Do not repeat any information already mentioned in the primary or secondary applications. (OPTIONAL) (1000 character limit)
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
just got an email confirming AMCAS has received my application! IS
+1 IS! :) In the email it said we needed to have one LOR submitted to get started on secondaries, should we wait to submit all of our LORs at once or just submit one if we already have one and then send the rest of them in later?

+1 IS! :) In the email it said we needed to have one LOR submitted to get started on secondaries, should we wait to submit all of our LORs at once or just submit one if we already have one and then send the rest of them in later?
I'm not sure how long it takes them to process LORs, but you might as well submit all of them so you don't worry about that holding up the review of your app.

I'm not sure how long it takes them to process LORs, but you might as well submit all of them so you don't worry about that holding up the review of your app.
Awesome! I should have the rest of mine in by July 1st so I'll just assign them all then, thank you so much! :)

Reactions: 1 user
If my school submits a letter packet consisting of a committee letter and two individual letters, would that satisfy their three-letter requirement?

@wysdoc For anyone who needs the prompts!
  1. For re-applicants, 1000 characters to explain how you are a stronger applicant this cycle.
  2. If you were to describe the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix to someone else, what would you share with them? (1000 character limit)
  3. What achievement are you most proud of in your life? What aspect(s) of this achievement will you bring to our medical school? (1000 character limit)
  4. The UA College of Medicine - Phoenix practices Inclusive Excellence, which celebrates the differences, talents, and unique qualities of all individuals. Please describe how you will pursue Inclusive Excellence in your studies while contributing to the collaborative environment at the College of Medicine - Phoenix. (1000 character limit)
  5. Servant Leadership is a Core Value and Attribute we deem essential for our students to possess. To us, it is service to others where one possesses personal humility along with a strong professional will. Describe a time where you have practiced this skill or have seen this in another. What traits were exemplified, and how will you apply these traits to your career in medicine? (1000 character limit)
  6. Were there any significant disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? (OPTIONAL) (1000 character limit)
  7. Please reflect on your entire application, is there anything you would like to further share with the Admissions Committee? Items to consider: connection(s) to Phoenix and/or our medical community, why College of Medicine - Phoenix, your plan during this application season, gap(s) in your education, personal and/or academic challenges. Do not repeat any information already mentioned in the primary or secondary applications. (OPTIONAL) (1000 character limit)

Hey so the original UA Phoenix email said I wouldn’t get a secondary until I have a letter of rec in, but then a few days later I was invited to complete the secondary without a change in my letter of rec status. Did anyone else have this issue? Is it an error? I’m OOS if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really sure how to approach the "If you were to describe the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix to someone else, what would you share with them?" question. I was originally thinking that this was a Why Us? question, but it seems like they would prefer to have a Why Us? in the Anything else? section. How have others approached/plan to approach this question?

I'm not really sure how to approach the "If you were to describe the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix to someone else, what would you share with them?" question. I was originally thinking that this was a Why Us? question, but it seems like they would prefer to have a Why Us? in the Anything else? section. How have others approached/plan to approach this question?
It almost seems like a way to prove that you've done your homework by describing the school's mission/values/unique characteristics. I don't want to sound like I'm just regurgitating their website, though. This is a tough one.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey so the original UA Phoenix email said I wouldn’t get a secondary until I have a letter of rec in, but then a few days later I was invited to complete the secondary without a change in my letter of rec status. Did anyone else have this issue? Is it an error? I’m OOS if that makes a difference.
I had the same issue! I'm IS though, but I hadn't assigned any of my letters and I still received a secondary- strange!

Primary verified 7/2 and secondary received 7/2. OOS!

is this "personalized student portal" their secondary app portal?

is this "personalized student portal" their secondary app portal?
No, secondary app portal is different. They use the AAMC Gateway, and the link is sent in a separate email.

Anybody have access to the “personalized student portal” and not have access to secondary yet? I’m IS and applying md PhD

Anybody have access to the “personalized student portal” and not have access to secondary yet? I’m IS and applying md PhD
I got and completed secondary already, but never got an email about the student portal? What do they have on it/is it important? OOS.

I got and completed secondary already, but never got an email about the student portal? What do they have on it/is it important? OOS.
As stated by the email, the personalized student portal is for the purposes of signing up for events like Second Look and campus revisit days. It's also how you'll navigate enrollment as an admitted student.

As stated by the email, the personalized student portal is for the purposes of signing up for events like Second Look and campus revisit days. It's also how you'll navigate enrollment as an admitted student.
Should I be worried if I didn't get an email regarding this?

Should I be worried if I didn't get an email regarding this?
Considering how the secondary was/is sent out in waves, I'm assuming this student portal is also being sent in waves. Also, doesn't seem like there's anything pressing on here for applicants, but I can update if there is!

Considering how the secondary was/is sent out in waves, I'm assuming this student portal is also being sent in waves. Also, doesn't seem like there's anything pressing on here for applicants, but I can update if there is!
Thank you!

If you have more classes than the required prerequisites, are you entering all of them on the coursework page? Or only the minimum number?

If you have more classes than the required prerequisites, are you entering all of them on the coursework page? Or only the minimum number?
I entered the minimum number of classes to fulfill the pre-reqs

For the competency matching part, did you guys put your shadowing experiences under clinical?

does anyone know if UA sends out complete emails after submitting?

IS Interview invite received

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
OOS received an II today! Also got secondary complete email 10 min before the invite.

FYI: they're offering 1 date for virtual interview at the moment, but might extend to 2 dates depending on space.

Reactions: 3 users
OOS received an II today! Also got secondary complete email 10 min before the invite.

FYI: they're offering 1 date for virtual interview at the moment, but might extend to 2 dates depending on space.
oh wow so early! When were you complete?

oh wow so early! When were you complete?
Complete literally 10 minutes before they sent me the interview invite today. I submitted the secondary app on 06/29 and had all of my LORs and everything ready to go by then too.

Reactions: 2 users
I got this email today
“The Office of Admissions and Recruitment has received your completed secondary application and appreciates the time you took to tell us more about your education, your experiences, and what you could potentially add to The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix as a new medical student. We look forward to continuing the review of your application, and we hope to have the opportunity to invite you to campus in the near future.”
+1

I'm trying to match my courses to their prerequisites and was wondering if we should add extra courses.
E.g. they ask for 1 other chemistry course, should we add more if we took more than one other chem course?

Are you able to share about what month the interview will be?

For those of you who got an interview invite, has anyone gotten a confirmation email with interview details after confirming your time?

Wow...I really wanted to apply to UofA but don't meet the physiology requirement. Anyone know for OOS if its ok if we have physics credit instead? There's seriously >5000 OOS applicants that meet the physiology requirement?

Wow...I really wanted to apply to UofA but don't meet the physiology requirement. Anyone know for OOS if its ok if we have physics credit instead? There's seriously >5000 OOS applicants that meet the physiology requirement?
A lot of people take A&P during undergrad. I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine that they would accept physics in place of physiology. They're pretty different.