2021-2022 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting my application for BCOM, hopefully I will get in

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Feel free to ask questions! First-years have summer break coming up :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think are my chances with a 3.24 GPS and a 3.63 sgpa. I have years of medical experience and certs like acls. I have experience doing a lot of procedures too. I haven't taken my mcat yet but I dont expect anything more that average.

What do you think are my chances with a 3.24 GPS and a 3.63 sgpa. I have years of medical experience and certs like acls. I have experience doing a lot of procedures too. I haven't taken my mcat yet but I dont expect anything more that average.
I will answer by DM. These questions are hard to answer as a med school student given that I am not the BCOM Admissions Committee lols.

But for all of you who will read this as you scroll through here- know that everyone is different! You can have a high GPA/low MCAT, could be vice versa, or more average than that. You can be someone who grew a large scribing business, you can be someone who did collegiate-level tennis, or even someone who was an advocate for your grandparents during their period of ill health And I met some people like that in med school as well. Just because you have a "good" chance, does not mean you will get in. Neither does having a "low" chance mean that you will not get in. Holistic review is good for stuff like this as long as you meet minimum requirements. Keep hoping and trying while being real with yourself I guess.

BCOM definitely takes a holistic approach, and I echo what HelpfulDoc said. Your applications are so much more than GPA/MCAT. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. So while it's impossible to predict the probability of success, and low stats decrease the probability of success, you won't know if you don't try. I wish I'd learned sooner in last year's cycle to enjoy the process rather than worrying over which schools I thought I had the best shot at or no shot. But for what it's worth, I got a late II here with 3.3/509.

Reactions: 1 users
Feel free to ask questions! First-years have summer break coming up :)

Thanks for doing this! I know you're a first year, but I have some questions about clerkships if you've heard anything from upper years. How do you feel about the hub system for clerkships? Do people typically end up getting the sites they want? Also, for students who rotate at similar hub sites, what's the culture like -- do y'all have group chats/are people generally friendly with each other, both at the separate hub sites and as a class overall?

Thanks for doing this! I know you're a first year, but I have some questions about clerkships if you've heard anything from upper years. How do you feel about the hub system for clerkships? Do people typically end up getting the sites they want? Also, for students who rotate at similar hub sites, what's the culture like -- do y'all have group chats/are people generally friendly with each other, both at the separate hub sites and as a class overall?
Just answering bec no one else answered yet.

Don't want to spread rumors on my part- so DO NOT consider any of this as facts. Hopefully someone from upper years know.

What I HEARD from a 2nd year who was my Big (we have a Big/Little system being improved upon at BCOM) was that people get to rank their picks and that BCOM TENDS to consider those who have families or homes here or who come from here when assigning. They also may consider where you are from and other stuff- like those at the Florida Hub or Las Cruces Hub etc. Of course, if you want Las Cruces Hub, but are from FL or TX, then you can still rank as you wish.

But I also HEARD from 1st and 2nd years (UNCLEAR if true or not) that people from Texas are pushed into the Texas Hub with little or no choice of going anywhere else. ***Pls if there is another student at BCOM, pls confirm/refute this.

That said, there were some who definitely did not get their top 3 for sure. In fact, I HEARD from a 2nd year that there was one Hub (that must not be named lols) that people actually requested being taken out of and a majority/all were approved to move to another Hub. I heard BCOM is working on making that Hub better for students to be in- so don't worry too much imo. I count that as BCOM being nice and allowing already-assigned students to still go somewhere more desirable.

Also, each year tends to have their own (made and run) by students optional groupchat. I have no further info :)

Again, DO NOT consider any of this as facts. Hopefully someone from upper years know the full story/facts.

Just answering bec no one else answered yet.

Don't want to spread rumors on my part- so DO NOT consider any of this as facts. Hopefully someone from upper years know.

What I HEARD from a 2nd year who was my Big (we have a Big/Little system being improved upon at BCOM) was that people get to rank their picks and that BCOM TENDS to consider those who have families or homes here or who come from here when assigning. They also may consider where you are from and other stuff- like those at the Florida Hub or Las Cruces Hub etc. Of course, if you want Las Cruces Hub, but are from FL or TX, then you can still rank as you wish.

But I also HEARD from 1st and 2nd years (UNCLEAR if true or not) that people from Texas are pushed into the Texas Hub with little or no choice of going anywhere else. ***Pls if there is another student at BCOM, pls confirm/refute this.

That said, there were some who definitely did not get their top 3 for sure. In fact, I HEARD from a 2nd year that there was one Hub (that must not be named lols) that people actually requested being taken out of and a majority/all were approved to move to another Hub. I heard BCOM is working on making that Hub better for students to be in- so don't worry too much imo. I count that as BCOM being nice and allowing already-assigned students to still go somewhere more desirable.

Also, each year tends to have their own (made and run) by students optional groupchat. I have no further info :)

Again, DO NOT consider any of this as facts. Hopefully someone from upper years know the full story/facts.

Thank you for your response! This was helpful.

• Love
Hey homies! Does BCOM accept fee waivers for the secondary application? I can't seem to find anything about it on their website :(

The email they just sent -- I almost thought I got a pre-secondary rejection lol. Excited for BCOM's cycle to start

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received — my first one of the cycle! OOS, ORM, 3.77/3.62/513

Would you mind sharing the prompts, please?

1) What draws you to the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine? If admitted, what do you see yourself becoming involved in? (300 words)
2) If you could strengthen one area of your application, what would it be? What have you done, or what do you plan to do, to address it and improve going forward? (300 words)

And then some fill in the blank/multiple choice stuff about LORs, prereqs, etc.

1) What draws you to the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine? If admitted, what do you see yourself becoming involved in? (300 words)
2) If you could strengthen one area of your application, what would it be? What have you done, or what do you plan to do, to address it and improve going forward? (300 words)

And then some fill in the blank/multiple choice stuff about LORs, prereqs, etc.
THANK YOU <3 good luck!

• Care
Just received the first interest email today! Decided to check my portal since I'm a reapplicant and I am able to start working on my secondary for this cycle which I was not able to do earlier this week. Will wait for the official email but good to know they're making moves!

Is anyone opting to do the video response attached to the secondary app? Wondering if opting out of it would hurt my chances. Everything I needed to say about my character and motives for applying is already on the the app lol

Is anyone opting to do the video response attached to the secondary app? Wondering if opting out of it would hurt my chances. Everything I needed to say about my character and motives for applying is already on the the app lol
I didn’t and just submitted yesterday for the same reason because I didn’t want to regurgitate everything I already said. I watched samples of students in the pass who submitted and tbh I didn’t have the energy to watch their videos and ended up skipping which made me think that they may just fast forward through mine so it’s not worth it. I also looked back through past years and people got interviews and accepted without a video

I opted out. I did the same as the other commenter and watched other people's, and I didn't really feel like it added any new information. I also read from a BCOM student here that over half their class didn't submit one

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted this past Feb and I didn't make a video response. From what I could tell, making one doesn't really help or hurt you.

I was accepted this past Feb and I didn't make a video response. From what I could tell, making one doesn't really help or hurt you.
how did you go about answering the "what is the weak area of ur app and what do u plan on doing to improve?" I am not really sure what my weak area is

how did you go about answering the "what is the weak area of ur app and what do u plan on doing to improve?" I am not really sure what my weak area is
bad/not ideal grades (just improve study strategies), lack of some hours (clinical or volunteer and can do by giving COVID shots in certain areas in Las Cruces - not sure if still available tho), lack of life experience (kinda vague- no clue how to improve that), lack of research (can be done at BCOM in summer), there may be others but idk.

bad/not ideal grades (just improve study strategies), lack of some hours (clinical or volunteer and can do by giving COVID shots in certain areas in Las Cruces - not sure if still available tho), lack of life experience (kinda vague- no clue how to improve that), lack of research (can be done at BCOM in summer), there may be others but idk.
So can i mention my lack of substantial reserach hours and then mention how i want to be involved in research as a BCOM student?

So can i mention my lack of substantial reserach hours and then mention how i want to be involved in research as a BCOM student?
I am not an admissions member at BCOM, so in my non-expert opinion (got accepted with a month to spare)- that sounds like a good idea.

I also had 2 publications, other research activities, and over 100 hours of actually doing research-related work.

if you mention your lack of research hours, I think you WOULD be answering the question "what is the weak area of ur app and what do u plan on doing to improve"

It seems like you are weak there, so doing it at BCOM is a valid way to improve- just back it up with your knowledge of BCOM research options (can be found online) when you write the answer!

Sadly, I can't apply here because my MCAT is 3 months older than there oldest accepted date. However, for all who apply when I was in contact with the admissions office they were always extremely nice and willing to tell me what they wanted to see in an applicant. Good luck to you guys!

Hey guys, so I have two questions:
1. My english courses at my university were titled "mid ages to renaissance" and titles like that, instead of English 101 or the common course titles. On BCOM's secondary, it states "Approved English course subjects are those listed within the AACOMAS English category. For those courses not included in the AACOMAS English category list, applicants will be expected to provide a course syllabus and/or course catalog description". Would I need to go this route?

2. Did everyone mention on the secondary that their labs went virtual when it asks "how did you labs get impacted by COVID?" How in-depth are we supposed to answer? lol

thanks!

Hey guys, so I have two questions:
1. My english courses at my university were titled "mid ages to renaissance" and titles like that, instead of English 101 or the common course titles. On BCOM's secondary, it states "Approved English course subjects are those listed within the AACOMAS English category. For those courses not included in the AACOMAS English category list, applicants will be expected to provide a course syllabus and/or course catalog description". Would I need to go this route?

2. Did everyone mention on the secondary that their labs went virtual when it asks "how did you labs get impacted by COVID?" How in-depth are we supposed to answer? lol

thanks!
Hi for your first question i had a similar question and went that emailed my syllabus and they added it no problem! For your second question I just stated that they went online!

Hi for your first question i had a similar question and went that emailed my syllabus and they added it no problem! For your second question I just stated that they went online!
By syllabus u mean curriculum ? I don’t have my syllabi from undergrad anymore

By syllabus u mean curriculum ? I don’t have my syllabi from undergrad anymore
I found the syllabus from the class, but also had links of the course description that i found on my univeritys website, if that helps!

I found the syllabus from the class, but also had links of the course description that i found on my univeritys website, if that helps!
Yeah I did that, but I just realized my transcript does say lit and comp so I’ should be good! Thanks

After submitting the secondary there is no portal to check the status of your application, right?

Got the secondary. Hoping to submit today. Did anyone do the video?

I just got an email stating “continued application review” it says my application continues to be under review and they will let me know if anything changes. Is this a soft hold?

Received an II today. OOS no video

Last edited:
My mcat is relatively low. Anyone who got II mind sharing their MCAT score?