2021-2022 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS, submitted early June, and still not a word. GPA 3.74 and 511 MCAT. honestly they must be doing some intense screening
I checked the old thread yesterday and it looks no OOS applicants got a secondary last year, or at least those posting on SDN. I wish I had seen that sooner lol.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I checked the old thread yesterday and it looks no OOS applicants got a secondary last year, or at least those posting on SDN. I wish I had seen that sooner lol.
i feel that those OOS have strong ties to Cali. Like UC riverside

Members don't see this ad :)
i feel that those OOS have strong ties to Cali. Like UC riverside
I don’t think the ones with strong ties got one last year, either. It looks like IS only, which is weird because that’s not on their website.

yea but also they are very slow with secondaries for even those in state, so idk what the screening process is.
From what I saw on the previous thread, they basically used the primary to screen for an II and some people even got IIs before submitting a secondary. Could be wrong though, that’s just what appeared to happen last year.

I don’t think the ones with strong ties got one last year, either. It looks like IS only, which is weird because that’s not on their website.
On MSAR it shows that 1 person out of 3 overall interviews from OOS got in :/

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
IS secondary received. I was verified late July. This screening process is definitely very heavy forsure and is NOT going in any particular order

I'm super confused. I got a rejection email from them ~48 hours after submitting my primary months ago. Now I just got a secondary. Any advice? Should I do the secondary or contact admissions?
I think they might have just done a mass send of secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm super confused. I got a rejection email from them ~48 hours after submitting my primary months ago. Now I just got a secondary. Any advice? Should I do the secondary or contact admissions?
I would definitely contact admissions in case there might have been a glitch in their system or something

Does anyone know what their screening process is like? Any idea of what they were looking for?

Does anyone know what their screening process is like? Any idea of what they were looking for?
probably in state for sure, maybe mission fit, and maybe some type of stats range. btw I have not gotten a secondary yet but that's what I heard when I asked them in an email about a month ago.

probably in state for sure, maybe mission fit, and maybe some type of stats range. btw I have not gotten a secondary yet but that's what I heard when I asked them in an email about a month ago.
Absolutely mission fit. While the school is private, they are dedicated to training and retaining physicians that will serve the IE. Honestly, it's probably pretty similar to UCR.

Secondary received earlier today. CA ORM verified mid August, LM 79.
n=1 but I made no indication in my primary that I wanted to serve IE populations or the underserved in general. I don't think mission fit is a necessary prerequisite to be sent a secondary from this school.
Do you have any ties to the IE such as background or highschool or living some part of your life there, etc

Secondary received earlier today. CA ORM verified mid August, LM 79.

n=1 but I made no indication in my primary that I wanted to serve IE populations or the underserved in general. I don't think mission fit is a necessary prerequisite to be sent a secondary from this school.
Sorry, should have been more clear. I think the mission fit is important for the II and acceptance stages but agree, I don't think it factors as much into the secondary invite portion.

Why are there SO MANY questions? This is onerous.

• Haha
>be me, CUSM adcom
>make ridiculously long secondary
>secondary length screens out applicants that would likely not attend (losers)
>applicants that spend the time required for the secondary have less time remaining for others, thereby decreasing their interview odds at other schools
>CUSM yield rate improved
>profit
Once again, adcoms confuse competence and tenacity with busywork.

After submitting the secondary, do they send out a completion email? Haven't received anything of that sort, so kinda worried

After submitting the secondary, do they send out a completion email? Haven't received anything of that sort, so kinda worried
I submitted the secondary July 26th and received a 'Secondary Received' email Aug. 4 "Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application to CUSM-SOM! Your application is now under review for consideration to receive an interview. Due to the large volume of applications, please be patient. This process takes a significant amount of time as we want to make sure that your file receives every consideration. Thank you again for your interest in our school of medicine. Best wishes and good luck!"

Why are almost all students from CA if it’s not a state school? Worth it to add now?
OOS btw

Why are almost all students from CA if it’s not a state school? Worth it to add now?
OOS btw

Because while it is a private school, it's mission is treat the underserved communities around the Inland Empire. They are a big community oriented school seeking to train physicians to rectify the imbalance in physicians per capita in the area (ideally, of course).

OOS btw
Nobody OOS on here has gotten a secondary and nobody OOS on the SDN thread last year got a secondary, either lol. So probably not worth it to add at this point if you are OOS, but obviously all this is just observation.

Nobody OOS on here has gotten a secondary and nobody OOS on the SDN thread last year got a secondary, either lol. So probably not worth it to add at this point if you are OOS, but obviously all this is just observation.
I'm OOS with extremely strong ties to the area and got this secondary a couple days ago! There's still hope!

Secondary submitted yesterday and just received “complete email”.

Does anyone know the recommended time to submit this secondary? I know some schools say within a month and others recommend a week. Haven't seen anything so maybe should try for the 2 week mark?

Anyone else struggling to finish this secondary? So many questions agh

Anyone else struggling to finish this secondary? So many questions agh
Yeah, it's a doozy. That 1500 character limit is plenty of room too. Luckily they don't have any "creative" questions. One of my MD secondaries asks "Create a superhero for your current city, town or municipality. What would they fight? Describe their appearance, name and special powers." Like... can I not?

• Wow
Has anyone figured out how to respond to the first question regarding, "If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below." There is no entry box for the question.

Has anyone figured out how to respond to the first question regarding, "If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below." There is no entry box for the question.
Email adcom about it?

I emailed them. They said they want you to answer both questions in the same box. So

"If you were enrolled in fewer than 12 units/credits for more than 1 semester/2 quarters during your undergraduate education, please provide a brief explanation below.

Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses that tested your coping skills. What did you do?"

both go in one box, 1500 characters max.

complete 8/4

spent hours considering and crafting a response to every single question they asked on the secondary.

still nothing.

hi all! for those who submitted their secondary, did you get a "complete" email? I could have sworn I received one, but now that I'm looking through my email I can't find it.

Looks like IIs started coming out on 09/19 during the 2019-2020 cycle and 09/22 during for 2020-2021 cycle. Hopefully, we'll hear back soon sometime next week!

complete 8/4

spent hours considering and crafting a response to every single question they asked on the secondary.

still nothing.
man, your post history is depressing. It's still early in the cycle, especially with a lower GPA. Schools have different ways of prioritizing applications, they'll get to it eventually.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
man, your post history is depressing. It's still early in the cycle, especially with a lower GPA. Schools have different ways of prioritizing applications, they'll get to it eventually.
haha. yeah, maybe it takes awhile to get to me because of my low GPA. i made bad mistakes in college. I collected maybe like 7 or 8 Fs, that is why it is so low. I was actually under the impression that my GPA was a 3.6 because my institution replaces the grades, come to find out medical schools consider me a 3.2. what a joke.

maybe these schools are just not eager to accept applicants with low GPAs, IAs, criminal backgrounds, and no "systemic barriers" (lol) to contend with. I guess all that qualifies me to do is give them money.

maybe these schools are just not eager to accept applicants with low GPAs, IAs, criminal backgrounds, or no "systemic barriers" (lol) to contend with. I guess all that qualifies me to do is give them money.
You have IAs and a criminal background as well? How big of a deal were the IAs? Real plagiarism/cheating or more "misread what's allowed on open note exams"?

You have IAs and a criminal background as well? How big of a deal were the IAs? Real plagiarism/cheating or more "misread what's allowed on open note exams"?
like I said, i got like 7 Fs, 5 of them being in my first semester, so I got kicked out of the university for "poor academic performance." my criminal background amounts to a DUI in 2008. not a big deal obviously, but schools may look at that and want nothing to do with me. i got it expunged. but whatever. it still exists.

there has got to be a better use of my time than sitting on my couch refreshing my inbox for my next R.

hi all! for those who submitted their secondary, did you get a "complete" email? I could have sworn I received one, but now that I'm looking through my email I can't find it.
haven’t received my complete email yet…

there has got to be a better use of my time than sitting on my couch refreshing my inbox for my next R.
Yeah man! Go outside and enjoy the crisp fall air! Read an interesting book! Learn how to knit! Bake some fudgy brownies. Do something that you enjoy instead of something that depresses you.

Reactions: 3 users
I got my complete email 6 days after I submitted :)