2021-2022 CA Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Before many of you decide on submitting secondaries to this school, I highly urge you all to read SDN threads and articles from news media sources, students, and admissions committee members from other medical schools.

Some quick notes on the school: only for-profit M.D. school in America, still not fully accredited even after graduating multiple batches, disliked and protested by the surrounding city of Elk Grove and Sacramento, hospital plans were rejected by city council, multiple lawsuit. I will not discourage you all from applying, but rather have everyone informed on the ethics of this school.

Here are a few SDN threads to read:
1) Besides CNU, are there any other bad US MD schools?
2) Do people here still hate California Northstate?
3) California Northstate University College of Medicine(CNUCOM): Avoid this school at all costs!

Reactions: 1 users
I actually got an offer from their BS/MD program back when I graduated from high school. It was surprising because I had not even applied for it! I guess I dodged a bullet as I graduated this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before many of you decide on submitting secondaries to this school, I highly urge you all to read SDN threads and articles from news media sources, students, and admissions committee members from other medical schools.

Some quick notes on the school: only for-profit M.D. school in America, still not fully accredited even after graduating multiple batches, disliked and protested by the surrounding city of Elk Grove and Sacramento, hospital plans were rejected by city council, multiple lawsuit. I will not discourage you all from applying, but rather have everyone informed on the ethics of this school.

Here are a few SDN threads to read:
1) Besides CNU, are there any other bad US MD schools?
2) Do people here still hate California Northstate?
3) California Northstate University College of Medicine(CNUCOM): Avoid this school at all costs!
What were the news links and law suits?

edit: sorry just read the threads. big yikes.

I was impressed since on reddit they had a high USMLE step 1 and 2 average.

IS received secondary:

Please complete the following essay questions.
1. (Required) Why have you chosen to apply to CNUCOM? (250 words maximum)*
0/1785
2. (Required) In the medical profession, you will be exposed to students, faculty, colleagues, and patients of various cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds. How has your involvement with diverse populations prepared you for potentially four years in Elk Grove, the greater Sacramento area, and the rest of the Central Valley? (250 words maximum)
0/1785
3. (Required) Did you have a Pre-Health Advisor at your undergraduate institution? If so, please tell us about your experience. How did it help you in your journey to to apply to medical school? If not, please let us know how you worked independently to find out more about applying to medical school and the path of your journey to apply?
0/1750
4. (Required) In which direction would you like to see healthcare progress over the next decade? (250 words maximum)
0/1785
5. (Required) If your education has not been continuous since high school, please explain why. Examples of discontinuities include time taken off while obtaining your undergraduate degree, in addition to gap years. (250 words maximum)
0/1785
6. (Required) If you have previously applied to medical school, what have you accomplished since that time that would warrant your admission now? (250 words maximum)
0/1785
7. (Required) Is there anything you would like the Admissions Committee to know that is not reflected elsewhere in your application? (250 words maximum)
0/1785
8. How do you feel about standardized tests? How did you prepare for the MCAT? What tools or preparatory courses/material did you use and how did you study? Do you feel like your score reflects how you will perform in medical school? From what you have learned, do you think it will help you in the way you will study or prepare for USMLE exams?
0/1000

I did a post bacc at this school, and all I can say is I would never go here unless it was the only choice I had.

When you guys submitted your application here did you get a confirmation that your file is complete?

When you guys submitted your application here did you get a confirmation that your file is complete?
i just got an email saying they received my app and if selected for an interview they'll email!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else not received a secondary? I submitted here over a month ago and nothing...

If I took AP Calc AB and scored a 4 and took 2 additional math college courses (Stats and Calculus BC), do I still have to take another college level class of math?

3. (Required) Did you have a Pre-Health Advisor at your undergraduate institution? If so, please tell us about your experience. How did it help you in your journey to to apply to medical school? If not, please let us know how you worked independently to find out more about applying to medical school and the path of your journey to apply?

Any guidance on this question? I did not have a Pre-Health advisor and my response is only a few sentences.

Anyone heard anything from this school? Complete in August here.

Yeah, primary processed 9/3, got the secondary invite 9/15. I think I'm going to withdraw though, after looking at the controversies people have been mentioning...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this school worth applying to if OOS/no ties to area?
It is not worth it. According to their statistics, only 4.9% of their class was OOS. The other 95% of students were California residents.

Yeah, primary processed 9/3, got the secondary invite 9/15. I think I'm going to withdraw though, after looking at the controversies people have been mentioning...
I was one of the outspoken SDN users regarding this medical school. Personally in terms of brand name and your own mental health, I would recommend withdrawing as you would be better off attending another M.D. school or other D.O. schools such as Western Pomona, Touro, PCOM, etc.

This is not a school that many students are thriving at due to its intimidating administration and lack of diversity (no african american or latino students). I had a phone call last week with a friend who is a MS2. The administration apparently is going head-to-head with many upperclassmen students and is extremely poor at taking in student feedback. In addition, none of the students know whether their school has been fully accredited by the LCME or not since the March 2021 visit. The administration is terrible at communicating information.

It is not worth it. According to their statistics, only 4.9% of their class was OOS. The other 95% of students were California residents.

I was one of the outspoken SDN users regarding this medical school. Personally in terms of brand name and your own mental health, I would recommend withdrawing as you would be better off attending another M.D. school or other D.O. schools such as Western Pomona, Touro, PCOM, etc.

This is not a school that many students are thriving at due to its intimidating administration and lack of diversity (no african american or latino students). I had a phone call last week with a friend who is a MS2. The administration apparently is going head-to-head with many upperclassmen students and is extremely poor at taking in student feedback. In addition, none of the students know whether their school has been fully accredited by the LCME or not since the March 2021 visit. The administration is terrible at communicating information.
I agree with 100% of what you said. I was a post bacc student here. The administration is not great. Their communication sucks. In the post bacc program, they would not tell us anything about the linkage until it was too late. I regret the one year I was at this school and the thousands of dollars I spent.

In addition, none of the students know whether their school has been fully accredited by the LCME or not since the March 2021 visit. The administration is terrible at communicating information.
You can check the accreditation status on the LCME website. Looks like it is still provisional accreditation. The findings from a March visit were almost certainly discussed at the LCME's June meeting.

I wasn't going to apply here after reading so many negative things about the school. Then, in the end, it's like, if I get in nowhere, literally nowhere else, I WILL go here, I will be a beggar who will not be choosy. Everyone knows about this school, that's why so dead

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, Im a current M1 here at CNU and I just wanted to give my take on the school just in case you guys wanted the scoop from a current student. Of course, this is just my personal story so it may not line up with everyone else’s and I’ve also only been in med school for a few months so its still early on, but here goes:

1. Our entire class is super friendly. Everyone is super welcoming and willing to share study resources. It really feels like one big family and like we’re all in this together. I’ve never been a part of group of students that cared this much about one another before. My undergrad was full of gunners so this has been a huge breath of fresh air.

2. The professors in general are super supportive and accessible. Ya, theres always gonna be one or two professors that you’re not gonna vibe with. But in general, they’re all pretty great.

3. As far as I understand the postbacc administration is different than the college of medicine administration so I feel like its not really fair to compare the two (but I could be wrong if so just ignore my newt three sentences). I mean I feel like every university has programs that are stronger than others. Not to say that the med school program is stronger than the postbacc program because I really don’t know anything about the post bacc program. But, I feel like just because someone had a bad experience in one program the university offers doesn't mean that all the programs are bad.

4. The schools not accredited yet, but accreditation is a long process. Theres a lot of back and forth between the LCME and the school so it takes time. BUT even if they don’t get accredited for whatever reason, they’ve reached provisional accreditation so all of our degrees will still be valid. And, if for whatever reason they need to close down (I can't really see this happening, but Im just throwing it out as a worst case scenario sorta thing) they have a plan with other medical schools to take all of their students so its not like you’re gonna be left hanging or anything.

5. Their match rate is pretty high. Say what you will about the school, but honestly at the end of the day what matters is matching into residency.

Long story short, I just wanted to say that a lot of whats out there on CNU is only on one side of the story so take it with a grain of salt. Not to say this school doesn’t have any faults, cuz it does. But, what school doesn’t? Even in undergrad there were things my school did that I didn’t like/agree with.

But at the end of the day, I truly do love it here :)

Also I wrote this in a quick break in between studying for my midterm so theres prolly some typos and poor grammar somewhere in there.

Also good luck to all of you applying this cycle! The application process is one wild ride, but you guys got this!!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hi, Im a current M1 here at CNU and I just wanted to give my take on the school just in case you guys wanted the scoop from a current student. Of course, this is just my personal story so it may not line up with everyone else’s and I’ve also only been in med school for a few months so its still early on, but here goes:

1. Our entire class is super friendly. Everyone is super welcoming and willing to share study resources. It really feels like one big family and like we’re all in this together. I’ve never been a part of group of students that cared this much about one another before. My undergrad was full of gunners so this has been a huge breath of fresh air.

2. The professors in general are super supportive and accessible. Ya, theres always gonna be one or two professors that you’re not gonna vibe with. But in general, they’re all pretty great.

3. As far as I understand the postbacc administration is different than the college of medicine administration so I feel like its not really fair to compare the two (but I could be wrong if so just ignore my newt three sentences). I mean I feel like every university has programs that are stronger than others. Not to say that the med school program is stronger than the postbacc program because I really don’t know anything about the post bacc program. But, I feel like just because someone had a bad experience in one program the university offers doesn't mean that all the programs are bad.

4. The schools not accredited yet, but accreditation is a long process. Theres a lot of back and forth between the LCME and the school so it takes time. BUT even if they don’t get accredited for whatever reason, they’ve reached provisional accreditation so all of our degrees will still be valid. And, if for whatever reason they need to close down (I can't really see this happening, but Im just throwing it out as a worst case scenario sorta thing) they have a plan with other medical schools to take all of their students so its not like you’re gonna be left hanging or anything.

5. Their match rate is pretty high. Say what you will about the school, but honestly at the end of the day what matters is matching into residency.

Long story short, I just wanted to say that a lot of whats out there on CNU is only on one side of the story so take it with a grain of salt. Not to say this school doesn’t have any faults, cuz it does. But, what school doesn’t? Even in undergrad there were things my school did that I didn’t like/agree with.

But at the end of the day, I truly do love it here :)

Also I wrote this in a quick break in between studying for my midterm so theres prolly some typos and poor grammar somewhere in there.

Also good luck to all of you applying this cycle! The application process is one wild ride, but you guys got this!!
is it worth it to apply OOS here? and no ties to IE/CA?

is it worth it to apply OOS here? and no ties to IE/CA?
Hmmm thats tough, there are definitely people in my class that were OOS applicants with no ties to CA, but I feel like if its worth it or not kind of depends on the particular situation so I cant really tell you right off the bat. But, if you wanna talk about it more, feel free to DM me!

This is the most dead thread I've ever seen for a California MD school. Has anyone interviewed here yet?
lmao dude I was about to comment the same thing. Not even 1 full page worth of content.
Is anyone even applying here?

lmao dude I was about to comment the same thing. Not even 1 full page worth of content.
Is anyone even applying here?
I did apply, but I withdrew my application after I got the secondary. I think the controversies regarding their accreditation status and the fact that the town they're in opposes their presence kinda put me off. StraightUpVibin up there is saying that it's not actually the mess that it sounds like, but I gotta say I'd prefer to go to a school that hasn't had any hiccups with their accreditation...

I did apply, but I withdrew my application after I got the secondary. I think the controversies regarding their accreditation status and the fact that the town they're in opposes their presence kinda put me off. StraightUpVibin up there is saying that it's not actually the mess that it sounds like, but I gotta say I'd prefer to go to a school that hasn't had any hiccups with their accreditation...
I live in the area and did their post bacc. They were going build a hospital but the city turned them down, and now they plan to build one about 30 mins from the schoool, in another location.

Did any of you get a confirmation email upon submitting your secondary? Apparently people on last year's thread received them around two weeks after submission, but I submitted over a month ago and haven't received anything.
Contact them, they are good at responding

For anyone who has already interviewed, would you be able to tell us what the writing sample entails? Are we just reading a scenario or do we have to write a response to a question?

For anyone who has already interviewed, would you be able to tell us what the writing sample entails? Are we just reading a scenario or do we have to write a response to a question?
bro idek if anyone APPLIED lmao. This thread is dead as hell

• Haha
I wasn't going to apply here after reading so many negative things about the school. Then, in the end, it's like, if I get in nowhere, literally nowhere else, I WILL go here, I will be a beggar who will not be choosy. Everyone knows about this school, that's why so dead
That's actually a good point. I know students who have graduated from this school and they all are able to go to a GME accredited residency program ranging from surgery to internal medicine, psychiatry, pediatrics, radiology, etc. When all is said and done, these students become doctors and they are actually good doctors. The students here come from top notch undergraduate colleges. They have passion for medicine. So yea, you can be picky, but in the end, it is so hard to get into medical school that it does become a solid choice for many.

That's actually a good point. I know students who have graduated from this school and they all are able to go to a GME accredited residency program ranging from surgery to internal medicine, psychiatry, pediatrics, radiology, etc. When all is said and done, these students become doctors and they are actually good doctors. The students here come from top notch undergraduate colleges. They have passion for medicine. So yea, you can be picky, but in the end, it is so hard to get into medical school that it does become a solid choice for many.
Their match rate is crazy good, huh? I was surprised.

What were the news links and law suits?

edit: sorry just read the threads. big yikes.

I was impressed since on reddit they had a high USMLE step 1 and 2 average.
Students who have gone here actually have matched successfully to top notch residency programs. The students are actually very bright and are successful. They have done well in their benchmarks. So in the end, it looks like students from this school get their MD degree then go on to become successful doctors and able to get to even top notch residency programs ranging from all specialties.

Their match rate is crazy good, huh? I was surprised.
Yup. Check out their match list. You'd be very surprised. Again, in the end, they learn how to become doctors and they get into good, solid residency programs.

Thanks. End of July
congrats! did they ever send you an email notifying you that your file was complete or officially under review. aka have you received any email from them in between submitting your secondary and getting an email for II.

congrats! did they ever send you an email notifying you that your file was complete or officially under review. aka have you received any email from them in between submitting your secondary and getting an email for II.
Just checked my email and I didn't see any email for under review.

I just received a "Supplemental Application Complete" email from them. ~7 days after I actually submitted the secondary

any results coming out tomorrow?
dont even know if anyone interviewed here yet or not lol. The only II seems to have been on 10/5, so I doubt they interviewed in the last 10 days, AND adcoms already made a decision:arghh:

it was not bad you have enough time to present yourself
Congrats for your interview invite!! I would be interested in applying to this school next cycle. I was wondering if those who receive II
mind to share you stats? I am wondering if I have a chance. I am from SFSU and my GPA about 3.85. I wonder what MCAT score I would need to get II here?

Thank you very much!!

any acceptance or post II R?
This might be the slowest thread in SDN history. The med schools in the Dakotas have more traffic than this school lmao. And they get like 1000 applicants per year

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users