2021-2022 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone getting an error when trying to sign up for the group session?
the only available sessions are after 9/20 now

source: i also got the error for trying to sign up on 9/16 (wanted to do an earlier session but i guess theyre all filled šŸ˜« )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm taking the Kira soon and was wondering if I should prepare for it like a normal interview? Also, for those who have taken it, would you say it was difficult?

Hey guys, I'm taking the Kira soon and was wondering if I should prepare for it like a normal interview? Also, for those who have taken it, would you say it was difficult?
Not too difficult. Practice as many times as you need on the platform, itā€™s a great resource. I canā€™t predict how I did but it was fairly low stress

Prepare like a normal interview, but make sure you can get your answers down to 90 seconds. I felt pretty comfortable answering the questions and agree with others that it was fairly low stress. Platform was easy to use, too. Good luck!

Adding to this, anyone just hovering above a 3.0 gpa get an II?
Current first year. My undergrad GPA was a 2.5. MCAT 511, Graduate GPA of 4.0, and multiple years out of school.

For anyone else wondering if they actually "holistically" review applications, they definitely do.

Reactions: 4 users
Current first year. My undergrad GPA was a 2.5. MCAT 511, Graduate GPA of 4.0, and multiple years out of school.

For anyone else wondering if they actually "holistically" review applications, they definitely do.
Thank you for the reassurance. Glad to know I'm not going to get tossed in the trash ASAP. Do you mind if I PM you a question?

So I'll go ahead and post my stats so people get a feel of my whole deal:

I was accepted off the wait list in the second quartile. I had a 3.6 GPA and a 511 MCAT. I was out of school for 3 years (will be 4 when I enter) and I've done 2 years of scribing with leadership experience and travel work. While scribing I worked in 7 specialties however at the time I applied I only had 1 year of experience with no leadership and I only had experience in 2 specialties.

Life story wise I'm a bit unusual. I'm not super diverse, but I am transgender so there is that. I'm a leukemia survivor and was low income for all of my childhood. I've also been homeless before during my senior year of high school.

I'm not the best interviewee and I'm a bit socially awkward. At the time of applying I only had 1 year of scribing with a large gap between getting out of school and starting scribing.

Edit: Should add that I had some research but nothing ever published. I think my letters of eval were okay. I had one letter from an MD. Should add that when I talk with someone for more than like 10 minutes my ADHD comes out a bit and I can jump around subjects a bit.

Edit 2: Should add, I went in kind of knowing what I wanted to do (either family medicine or peds) which isn't the norm i'm pretty sure.

Edit 3: If you have any questions for me about my stats, background, or just getting to know me as we might be classmates next year feel free to ask here or shoot me a DM. I'm very chatty. I don't remember Kira at but I know I did it, however we're not allowed to talk about what it entails anyways so nbd.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone getting an error when trying to sign up for the group session?
Also got multiple errors while signing up for September slots. Their earliest available slots for the zoom call are currently oct. 7, 8, 14th etc.

II just received it this evening. Complete early June OOS

Last edited:
II OOS this evening. First of the cycle, incredibly excited!

• Love
II received! First of cycle. OOS, ORM, 514 MCAT, 3.3 sGPA, 3.28 uGPA (last 90 credits @ 3.98).

Can anyone expand on what the group session might entail? Is it going to be more of a Q&A or will there be an interview portion?

Guysssss, y'all are scaring me I got an II with 3.69 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 503 MCAT URM OOS.

And now for the important question... Has anybody received a swag bag yet?

Reactions: 2 users
for those who have done interviews, can you guys describe how you did the kira thing?

for those who have done interviews, can you guys describe how you did the kira thing?
i prepped for kira the same way I would for any other interview and then I got more comfortable with the format using their practice questions!

What are some some things about DMU and Des Moines in general I canā€™t learn from the website (culture, student personalities, social mores, etc.). Interview coming up in a few days!

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like thereā€™s been 8/26 and 8/27 group sessions? How were they? Does anyone have one coming up?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the acceptance text from DMU.. so surreal!!!

Edit: 8/19 Group

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
For those invited to interview, did Kira provide you with a practice platform before taking the actual assessment? If so, where is it located?

EDIT: Found it!

Last edited:
So I'm a little behind and haven't submitted the secondary yet, but I'm a little confused. Is the Kira what the II is or is Kira a separate thing from an II?
There is no secondary this year itā€™s just questions in your primary for the school.

Complete today, how long have people been waiting for interviews?

i'm not sure what you mean bc interviews have been going out for multiple weeks now. i have yet to be marked complete so if i'm mistaken, someone else pls jump in with something more helpful TIA!

I'd say anywhere from 4-6 weeks. I was complete early July? Got my II first week of August.

So I'll go ahead and post my stats so people get a feel of my whole deal:

I was accepted off the wait list in the second quartile. I had a 3.6 GPA and a 511 MCAT. I was out of school for 3 years (will be 4 when I enter) and I've done 2 years of scribing with leadership experience and travel work. While scribing I worked in 7 specialties however at the time I applied I only had 1 year of experience with no leadership and I only had experience in 2 specialties.

Life story wise I'm a bit unusual. I'm not super diverse, but I am transgender so there is that. I'm a leukemia survivor and was low income for all of my childhood. I've also been homeless before during my senior year of high school.

I'm not the best interviewee and I'm a bit socially awkward. At the time of applying I only had 1 year of scribing with a large gap between getting out of school and starting scribing.

Edit: Should add that I had some research but nothing ever published. I think my letters of eval were okay. I had one letter from an MD. Should add that when I talk with someone for more than like 10 minutes my ADHD comes out a bit and I can jump around subjects a bit.

Edit 2: Should add, I went in kind of knowing what I wanted to do (either family medicine or peds) which isn't the norm i'm pretty sure.

Edit 3: If you have any questions for me about my stats, background, or just getting to know me as we might be classmates next year feel free to ask here or shoot me a DM. I'm very chatty. I don't remember Kira at but I know I did it, however we're not allowed to talk about what it entails anyways so nbd.
Hi my apologies if you have said it before; i haven't had a chance to fully catch up on this thread yet. when did you get accepted off the waitlist and do you currently attend this uni? no worries if you're not comfortable answering.