2021-2022 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @featherbrain for sharing this year's questions!
2021-2022 East Tennessee (Quillen) Secondary Essay Prompts:
1. What obstacles have you faced gaining experiences important to your medical school application and what were your solutions? (1500 characters)

2. Social justice, systemic racism, and equity for all have been at the forefront of national conversations. Quillen College of Medicine recognizes that many barriers still exist for persons of color and those from historically underrepresented communities. As a physician you will have opportunities to foster an environment of change for your patients and community. Please share with us your reflections on how your life experiences have impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with backgrounds or values different from your own. (3000 characters)

3. Discuss how your attitudes and perceptions will help foster a positive learning environment while in medical school and how they will benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine. (1500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone received a secondary yet?
No but I got an email this morning saying they received my primary but be patient while waiting for secondaries because they're doing orientation rn so its pretty hectic

Members don't see this ad :)
lol rejected as OOS with 513 MCAT. didn't receive secondary and was told im not a competitive applicant for out of state. good luck to the rest of y'all

lol rejected as OOS with 513 MCAT. didn't receive secondary and was told im not a competitive applicant for out of state. good luck to the rest of y'all
They have strict rules for in-state or close ties, you’re competitive they’re just picky!

Reactions: 1 user
This happened to me too! They were like don't even apply again in the future.

• Sad
Has anyone received a secondary yet? Or know when they sent out secondaries last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit your application?

OOS just got the pre-secondary rejection email today. Good luck to everyone else applying though

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
@wysdoc

1. What obstacles have you faced gaining experiences important to your medical school application and what were your solutions? (1500 characters)

2. Social justice, systemic racism, and equity for all have been at the forefront of national conversations. Quillen College of Medicine recognizes that many barriers still exist for persons of color and those from historically underrepresented communities. As a physician you will have opportunities to foster an environment of change for your patients and community. Please share with us your reflections on how your life experiences have impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with backgrounds or values different from your own. (3000 characters)

3. Discuss how your attitudes and perceptions will help foster a positive learning environment while in medical school and how they will benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine. (1500 characters)

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a pre-secondary R! OOS. Good luck to the rest.

Submitted, Altus Suite was distributed 6/3 and is shown as not delivered, leaving my application incomplete. Anyone else in this boat?

Submitted, Altus Suite was distributed 6/3 and is shown as not delivered, leaving my application incomplete. Anyone else in this boat?
+1
My Casper is also not marked as received by the school. I took the test 6/3 (and already had ETSU on the distribution list). Not sure what date it was actually distributed but it should have been received long ago.

@wysdoc

Are the character counts including spaces?

Definitely don’t forget to check your spam. I use a Gmail account and I found my email in spam.

Has anyone that submitted 5/29 or after for IS gotten a secondary yet?

I'm IS and My timeline was:
Submitted primary near June 8th.
Received Quillen's secondary on Aug 9th.

I'm IS and My timeline was:
Submitted primary near June 8th.
Received Quillen's secondary on Aug 9th.
Yeah Im a bit concerned, I was verified on June 28th and my primary was sent right away, havent received a secondary yet. I am from the Knoxville area as well

My app is now complete, casper came through without any further action by me. Hopefully yours is the same way!

are y'all treating the first question- the one about obstacles in gaining important experiences- as a COVID question?

Yes, that's what I did because it sounded like a COVID question also designed to catch any other troubles you may have had.

IS primary submitted June 7th…. Still no secondary. I’m starting to worry.(specifically cause someone who submitted after got the secondary already)

are y'all treating the first question- the one about obstacles in gaining important experiences- as a COVID question?
Yeah that's what I did. My guess is that they wanted to include COVID troubles but didn't want to exclude any other obstacles that may have been a less direct result of COVID.

what is the secondary screen for Quillen's secondary?

IS primary submitted June 7th…. Still no secondary. I’m starting to worry.(specifically cause someone who submitted after got the secondary already)

Primary submitted 7/19, no secondary. OOS but within the 250-mile radius for favorability.

I know that patience is a virtue in the medical school admissions cycle, but hearing nothing is so hard because I have no idea whether I'm being considered or if my application has been essentially thrown out.