2021-2022 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the prompts the same as last cycle?
Not sure what they were last year but these are the prompts this year
  1. Describe a significant challenge you have experienced in your life, share the strategies you employed to overcome the challenge, and what you learned from the experience. (500 words)
  1. Professionalism and respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance in medical school and as a physician. What three professional qualities do you believe a Student Doctor must demonstrate and describe how you will demonstrate these qualities as a medical student at VCOM? (500 Words)
  1. How do your professional ambitions align with osteopathic medicine? (500 words)
  2. What influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? (e.g., personal or medical experiences; influences of friends/family/physicians/mentors; etc.) (500 words)

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure what they were last year but these are the prompts this year
  1. Describe a significant challenge you have experienced in your life, share the strategies you employed to overcome the challenge, and what you learned from the experience. (500 words)
  2. Professionalism and respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance in medical school and as a physician. What three professional qualities do you believe a Student Doctor must demonstrate and describe how you will demonstrate these qualities as a medical student at VCOM? (500 Words)
  3. How do your professional ambitions align with osteopathic medicine? (500 words)
  4. What influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? (e.g., personal or medical experiences; influences of friends/family/physicians/mentors; etc.) (500 words)

Thank you so much!!

I was verified a few days before 6/15 and still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
I was verified on 06/02 and still haven't received a secondary...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get the secondary invite but has not received a link to create a password?

For the cv portion, should we list publications or just research as one entry that includes posters and publications?

Is the 3.2 sGPA a hard cut off for secondaries? I meet the MCAT requirements and have an upward trend in my GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
How are you all answering the last question of what influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? Like I found it on an internet search for DO schools and that's all...

Has anyone not received secondaries yet from VCOM? I had it verified already on June 15

Has anyone not received secondaries yet from VCOM? I had it verified already on June 15
I was verified on the 28th and sent mine to the Louisiana location. I haven’t received one either

Last edited:
I have been trying to log into my portal (tried with both chrome and Microsoft edge) and it keeps saying session timed out. I received the secondary link just this morning and I keep receiving this error. I even reset my password again, still nothing

I have been trying to log into my portal (tried with both chrome and Microsoft edge) and it keeps saying session timed out. I received the secondary link just this morning and I keep receiving this error. I even reset my password again, still nothing
Same with me. I think the website is new so its probably down for the weekend or something.

I submitted my secondary and when I go to status, it says that my application is incomplete. I will retake the MCAT in July so is that why it is incomplete? Will they review my secondary or hold my application until they receive the second score?

Same with me. I think the website is new so its probably down for the weekend or something.
Yea, the website is a bit buggy. When I submitted a few days back it was somewhat more stable, but anytime I try to login now I usually get the same until I refresh a time or two

I submitted my secondary and when I go to status, it says that my application is incomplete. I will retake the MCAT in July so is that why it is incomplete? Will they review my secondary or hold my application until they receive the second score?
I've already taken the MCAT and not planning to retake it and mine says the same thing

We’re you able to log on?

At the end of the secondary, it says that a DO letter of recommendation must be turned in following admission. I don’t have any DO shadowing or even know a DO. I have been actively trying to find shadowing opportunities but I haven’t been able to. How stern are they with this requirement?

Anyone attending the zoom meeting today that’s focusing on the simulation center and standardized patient labs? If so are you dressing up?

At the end of the secondary, it says that a DO letter of recommendation must be turned in following admission. I don’t have any DO shadowing or even know a DO. I have been actively trying to find shadowing opportunities but I haven’t been able to. How stern are they with this requirement?
Don't hold me to this, but I believe I read on last year's thread that this letter is more of a formality than anything. In other words, people were saying to find any DO and explain to them your situation - you've been accepted on the condition that the school is provided a LOR from them. Explain the situation the best you can and I'm sure the doctor will understand and provide you with some generic letter. Remember, at this point, you've been accepted into the school. They want you.

I'm in the same boat, though. I don't have any DOs that I've worked directly with, all MDs. So my plan is to reach out to them and see if they know any DOs that can write a LOR should I get accepted. I also believe I read that some people started going to a DO as their primary doctor and after a few check-ups they asked them to write the letter, haha.

Anyway, the feeling I get is that this isn't something you should stress over.

Anyone else submit their secondary a long time ago and have all materials in, but still have their application marked incomplete?

Anyone else submit their secondary a long time ago and have all materials in, but still have their application marked incomplete?
Mine is marked incomplete as well. Yet, my status also says that it's still in the screening process. Not sure what yours says. But I reached out about this the other day and got the below response. Basically, they check everything manually, and it's a slow process. But, they will let you know if anything is missing.

Also, as someone has already mentioned, they're very quick to respond to emails.

"Thank you for contacting VCOM Admissions.

VCOM goes in manually to check for completeness. This can take a while due to the amount of applicants in the system. You will want to keep an eye on your email (junk/spam) this is how we will contact you to let you know if something is missing or to let you know your application is complete. Please let us know if you have any further questions."

How are you all answering the last question of what influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? Like I found it on an internet search for DO schools and that's all...
Current student… when schools ask this… and most of them did ask this and why DO… do a little homework on their mission statement, the surrounding area and why their program is a good fit for you.

I submitted my primary to Auburn campus on 2nd June. Still haven't received secondary. Should I send primary to other location as well ? Or 1 primary for all 4 locations?

I submitted my primary to Auburn campus on 2nd June. Still haven't received secondary. Should I send primary to other location as well ? Or 1 primary for all 4 locations?
from what I seen from past threads as long as you sent your application to one location it will be sent to all 4. I didn't know this and submitted to 3 of them :\

got an email saying my application is scheduled to be reviewed by the committee on whether I will receive a secondary or not, and that the process could take a few months.

Forgot I signed up for a couple of VCOM's Zoom sessions and got too excited when I saw an e-mail from VCOM with the subject "See you soon!" Thought I'd gotten an II. Nope. Just a Zoom over Specialties in Medicine. A rollercoaster of emotions within a 30-second span. HaHa

Forgot I signed up for a couple of VCOM's Zoom sessions and got too excited when I saw an e-mail from VCOM with the subject "See you soon!" Thought I'd gotten an II. Nope. Just a Zoom over Specialties in Medicine. A rollercoaster of emotions within a 30-second span. HaHa
ME TOOO AHHHH!!!!!