2021-2022 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2021-2022 Emory Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. (200 words).
2. Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences. (200 words).
3. Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected. (200 words).
4. What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community? (200 words).
5. If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below. (200 words).
----------------------------------------
Extra Dual-degree questions:

• Optional: Please describe your interest in public health and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine (500 words or less).
  • Optional: Please describe your interest in bioethics and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine (500 words or less).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For everyone considering applying, here's last cycle's secondary questions:
  • Optional: Please describe your interest in public health and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine (500 words or less).
  • Optional: Please describe your interest in bioethics and how you wish to combine this interest with a career in medicine (500 words or less).
  • List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. (200 words).
  • Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences. (200 words).
  • Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected. (200 words).
  • What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community? (200 words).
  • If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below. (200 words).

Reactions: 3 users
Is everyone listing their health experiences in a list format or in a paragraph form? And are you just including a description of what your role was or what you learnt from it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone listing their health experiences in a list format or in a paragraph form? And are you just including a description of what your role was or what you learnt from it?
Always go paragraph form. And maybe add like a story or anecdote, preferably something that isn't already in your primary. Lists generally aren't very helpful when attempting to describe an "experience".

Reactions: 1 users
Wait, are the first 2 questions only for students applying to dual degree programs?

Did anyone receive their secondaries for Emory yet? I was verified day 1 and still have not gotten anything back

Did anyone receive their secondaries for Emory yet? I was verified day 1 and still have not gotten anything back
In the same boat as you, haven't received any secondaries just yet, no worries I believe it's still very early in the process.

Reactions: 1 user
a lot of schools don't send them out the first day or send them out in waves, nothing to be worried about

Does anyone know how much Emory prefers in-state? I'm still contemplating if it's worth applying or not - my mcat is 518 and my cGPA/sGPA is 3.92/3.88 but im out of state & don't want to spend more money than I already have if they strongly prefer in-state

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much Emory prefers in-state? I'm still contemplating if it's worth applying or not - my mcat is 518 and my cGPA/sGPA is 3.92/3.88 but im out of state & don't want to spend more money than I already have if they strongly prefer in-state
Emory does not have a stated preference for in-state applicants. MSAR data shows that in-state applicants have a higher interview rate, but they don't state explicitly that they prefer in-state.

Emory does not have a stated preference for in-state applicants. MSAR data shows that in-state applicants have a higher interview rate, but they don't state explicitly that they prefer in-state.
Yeah I looked at the MSAR data and saw that they had <1% acceptance from out of state applicants compared to ~6% in state so I decided not to apply

Anyone receive secondaries yet? I got verified 6/28 so I am not sure if/when they would send them to me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I looked at the MSAR data and saw that they had <1% acceptance from out of state applicants compared to ~6% in state so I decided not to apply
MSAR doesn't show acceptance rates. I'm assuming you were dividing matriculated students by applied students, which will definitely be a lot higher for in-state students who are much more likely to accept an offer.

Reactions: 3 users
MSAR doesn't show acceptance rates. I'm assuming you were dividing matriculated students by applied students, which will definitely be a lot higher for in-state students who are much more likely to accept an offer.
I'm not sure why you would say this. You are, of course, correct that the IS yield is far higher than OOS, but, the school certainly knows this and could (and, to an extent, does) adjust for it in its relative II and A rates for IS and OOS.

No matter how you slice it, @writingsucks101 is correct and there is a very significant IS bias for a private school. IS accounts for 7% of their applicants, 24% of their IIs, and 33% of their enrollment. That's a HUGE bias. 19% of IS applicants receive IIs while only around 4% of OOS applicants do.

Hello. I'm planning to submit my primary to Emory and was wondering if anyone had insights on their MD/MBA or MD/MPH programs. Is it important to apply jointly to these programs or can I decide on this during medical school?

A significant narrative in my application involves how underserved populations are impacted by social determinants of health, so an MD/MPH seems intriguing and insightful toward that end. MD/MBA floats in my mind also as an interesting way to gain insights into the business aspects of healthcare.

I suppose these questions can also be applied to all schools with these dual degree programs.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Hello. I'm planning to submit my primary to Emory and was wondering if anyone had insights on their MD/MBA or MD/MPH programs. Is it important to apply jointly to these programs or can I decide on this during medical school?

A significant narrative in my application involves how underserved populations are impacted by social determinants of health, so an MD/MPH seems intriguing and insightful toward that end. MD/MBA floats in my mind also as an interesting way to gain insights into the business aspects of healthcare.

I suppose these questions can also be applied to all schools with these dual degree programs.
I don't know about Emory specifically but I think it does depend on the school. I've seen some schools where you can apply to the MD/MPH during your first year, but that might not be an option everywhere. Best to research each school your applying to

IS just received secondary at 4:03PM EST!

Two weeks ago I was excited to receive new secondaries... I was a fool.
True! But the value of these posts is to alert us as to what's on the way, and to start checking spam folders if we weren't already, rather than to celebrate an achievement when the school doesn't screen. Unbridled enthusiasm is always welcome, plus, these posts really do serve a purpose, at least for me! :)

• Okay...
OOS received secondary! is it just a pure stats screen? seems like it from the email

True! But the value of these posts is to alert us as to what's on the way, and to start checking spam folders if we weren't already, rather than to celebrate an achievement when the school doesn't screen. Unbridled enthusiasm is always welcome, plus, these posts really do serve a purpose, at least for me! :)
Wasn't knocking the post, was more of a comment on my current mental state now that I am expecting another secondary to be added to my list

Reactions: 4 users
Wasn't knocking the post, was more of a comment on my current mental state now that I am expecting another secondary to be added to my list
I know -- I just didn't want OP (or anyone else) to feel discouraged from posting, at least not until all of my secondaries have been received! :)

what did the email say?
We are happy to report that we have received your verified AMCAS application for 2022. You meet our minimum MCAT score requirements, and you have been granted access to the Emory School of Medicine Supplemental Application.

if we aren't applying for MD/MPH or MD/Bioethics do we have to answer the two questions related to it?

if our school does not have a committee we can just leave the "why no committee" box blank right? The application says " If your school has a Pre-Health or Pre-Medical Committee, and your letters are submitted by three individual letter writers rather than your school's Committee, please explain why you are not submitting a Committee letter"

if our school does not have a committee we can just leave the "why no committee" box blank right? The application says " If your school has a Pre-Health or Pre-Medical Committee, and your letters are submitted by three individual letter writers rather than your school's Committee, please explain why you are not submitting a Committee letter"
Just to be safe, why not note that your school does not have a committee?

Just to be safe, why not note that your school does not have a committee?
thats what i was thinking lol just freaked that they specifically say "if you have a committee and you didnt use it" but its probably okay to just be extra clear

Has anyone else not gotten a secondary yet :D

Edit: patience is a virtue, i got it now lmao

Last edited:
Looks like a pure stat screen based on the email they sent, just received!

thats what i was thinking lol just freaked that they specifically say "if you have a committee and you didnt use it" but its probably okay to just be extra clear
Yup! The reason they say that is because that's precisely what they are interested in (i.e., there is a negative inference when you have access to a committee and don't use it, and they are giving you a chance to address it).

If you leave it blank, assuming your school produces more than one one med school applicant every few years, they very likely know you don't have access to a committee, and you're fine. Just saying that in the box makes it clear and lets you sleep a little better! For the record, I do the same thing every time a similar box appears. No reason to leave anything to chance when it is avoidable. :)

Whoa the 18 credit hours of social sciences...? Does psychology apply here?

Whoa the 18 credit hours of social sciences...? Does psychology apply here?
I don't see any info on their website about what they count as social sciences but I included psychology, sociology, anthropology, etc.