2021-2022 Florida International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @LonelykingT for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Florida International University Secondary Essay Prompts:
1. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you. (1200 characters)

2. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you? (1200 characters)

3. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you will face in medical school. (1200 characters)

4. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment . You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?

5. Optional covid essay (character count?)

6. Optional academic difficulties essay (1000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Instate secondary received

Reactions: 1 user
Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you. (1200)

Given the unique mission of the FIU HErbert college of medicine how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?(1200)

describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you will face in medical school (1200)

your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment . You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation

Optional covid essay

Reactions: 2 users
Also an option 1000 character essay for academic difficulties

Also an option 1000 character essay for academic difficulties
For the question explain any exception to the prerequisite is just a question if we are missing anything correct ?

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the secondary itself, the submission button is not unlocking for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the question explain any exception to the prerequisite is just a question if we are missing anything correct ?

I believe so. Like if you did not take one of their prerequisites or subbed it for something else I’d assume

Hey guys, I had a quick question regarding the prompt about the investigational treatment. Do we assume the patient is underage or are the parents just the caretakers for a patient that cannot provide consent themselves? I doubt they're trying to throw a trick question at us but I was just unsure what they meant.

Hey guys, I had a quick question regarding the prompt about the investigational treatment. Do we assume the patient is underage or are the parents just the caretakers for a patient that cannot provide consent themselves? I doubt they're trying to throw a trick question at us but I was just unsure what they meant.
Like most MMI prompts, I think this is intentionally vague so that you can identify nuances that would affect how you approach the issue. In this case, if the child is a minor or is unable to give consent, then the parents have the right to make decisions, otherwise their child is a consenting adult.

Like most MMI prompts, I think this is intentionally vague so that you can identify nuances that would affect how you approach the issue. In this case, if the child is a minor or is unable to give consent, then the parents have the right to make decisions, otherwise their child is a consenting adult.
Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the help!

If I studied abroad in Spain would that count as a diverse background?

for this prompt "Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school." does it have to be a personal challenge that I overcame in college? Or is it okay if it was in high school?

for this prompt "Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school." does it have to be a personal challenge that I overcame in college? Or is it okay if it was in high school?
If it was a very significant/life-changing event in high school, you could probably use it. However, if you can think of something more recent, it would probably be better. Stick to the best story you can tell.

If I studied abroad in Spain would that count as a diverse background?
I'm a third year student here - I don't think I wrote about it specifically in my application, but I talked about travel and studying abroad during my interview when asked what made me "diverse" (I said my "diversity of experiences", essentially) and it went over well. If you speak Spanish, big bonus points with the studying abroad in Spain thing.

Any current FIU HWCOM students on here? I would love to hear your thoughts about the school and why you chose it! I am super interested in attending and is currently a top choice for me.

So just to confirm, I got a confirmation for the secondary app submission but does FIU email me once my entire app is complete?

Any current FIU HWCOM students on here? I would love to hear your thoughts about the school and why you chose it! I am super interested in attending and is currently a top choice for me.
Current student, feel free to ask any questions. General advice for this app process and residency though, I wouldn’t get too hung up on top choices until you see where you get interviews. Submit your apps etc but whole thing is really out of your control after that until then and it can be a wild ride.

I chose FIU to be in a big city with the accompanying resources ie labs and hospitals as well as for cheap tuition/scholarship

Current student, feel free to ask any questions. General advice for this app process and residency though, I wouldn’t get too hung up on top choices until you see where you get interviews. Submit your apps etc but whole thing is really out of your control after that until then and it can be a wild ride.

I chose FIU to be in a big city with the accompanying resources ie labs and hospitals as well as for cheap tuition/scholarship
What do you like about FIU?

How are the clinical experiences so far? What is your least favorite part about attending FIU?

Has anyone received interview from FIU?

Secondary submitted. How long did it take to receive an email confirmation confirming the secondary was complete?

Secondary submitted. How long did it take to receive an email confirmation confirming the secondary was complete?
Took me almost 3 days to get my complete email, submitted 7/23 with complete email on 7/26!

I never got a confirmation email and its been a week or more now. Anyone else?

If anyone has anyone questions about FIU, feel free to message :)
Good luck everybody!

I just got a secondary. When it asks about: if I am a reapplicant to medical school, do I answer even though I did not apply here last cycle?

Hi, do you know when II's are sent? Also, do you have any tips for interview day?
I don't know when IIs are sent - I believe the first interviews will be in September but that could be incorrect. Interviews will be virtual this year but still have the same format, to my knowledge. You'll have two one-on-one interviews, one with an upperclassmen (tends to be more relaxed) and one with a faculty member. The faculty member who interviewed me had my application printed out in front of her. This isn't always the case, but be prepared to elaborate on anything you wrote about in your essays and have things in mind to discuss that you haven't written about already! There will be an opportunity to talk with current students as well. PM me if you have any more specific questions.

I think the portal means actual interviews will be starting in September but MSAR says II’s will start coming out in august