2021-2022 Geisinger Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @sweatysweetpotato79 for sharing this year's questions! **If anyone discovers a word limit for these, post it & we'll update**

2021-2022 Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine Secondary Essay Prompts:

1a. Given Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine's unique mission and values, please tell us why you believe you are a good fit for our institution.
2. List the five most important attributes you believe a physician should possess. Please choose one that you believe you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait.
3. Geisinger Commonwealth values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How will you contribute to our commitment to diversity, social justice, equity, and inclusion?
4. If you have previously applied to Geisinger Commonwealth's Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year's application and your previous application.

If you are not a previous applicant, please type, "N/A" in the response area.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming this is Geisinger, I just received secondary today (OOS).

Questions are the same as last year, although the character count is not specified.

1a. Given Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine's unique mission and values, please tell us why you believe you are a good fit for our institution.
2. List the five most important attributes you believe a physician should possess. Please choose one that you believe you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait.
3. Geisinger Commonwealth values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How will you contribute to our commitment to diversity, social justice, equity, and inclusion?
4. If you have previously applied to Geisinger Commonwealth's Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year's application and your previous application.

If you are not a previous applicant, please type, "N/A" in the response area.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how many spots are available for the Scholars Program? Are they mostly for PA applicants?

Does anyone know how many spots are available for the Scholars Program? Are they mostly for PA applicants?
Not sure about the # of spots but one of their selection criteria is the likelihood of staying at Geisinger beyond service obligation. So I would imagine applicants who have strong ties to the Scranton region would have an upper hand compared to someone from other parts of PA or another state entirely.

The lack of restriction on words/characters makes these essays super hard to gauge. Anyone willing to share a rough estimate of their word/character count for these essays? My current word count range is 150-250, curious if I should be adding more.

The lack of restriction on words/characters makes these essays super hard to gauge. Anyone willing to share a rough estimate of their word/character count for these essays? My current word count range is 150-250, curious if I should be adding more.
~200-300

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they take AP credit for prereqs or writing intensives for the English requirement?

Brace yourselves, SJT comments are coming. (76 percentile btw)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys taking the SJT even though it’s recommended only?

Are you guys taking the SJT even though it’s recommended only?

Yes. You should take it too. Geisinger “strongly” encourages us to take it. Definitely take the sample and read the answer explanations beforehand!

Reactions: 3 users
For this prompt: 2. List the five most important attributes you believe a physician should possess. Please choose one that you believe you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait.

Are student really listing the attributes or doing a list plus a bit of description (perhaps about a sentence)? Since they specifically say list, I am inclined to do as they ask.

Thanks!

For this prompt: 2. List the five most important attributes you believe a physician should possess. Please choose one that you believe you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait.

Are student really listing the attributes or doing a list plus a bit of description (perhaps about a sentence)? Since they specifically say list, I am inclined to do as they ask.

Thanks!
I listed in sentence form. I think bulleted lists look bad lol.

Thanks!
I did paragraph 1: list them all (in paragraph form); paragraph 2: give examples of why I think each is important.

Is it too late to take SJT? I am thinking of just submitting without since it is only "strongly recommended". At this point seems like data collection.

edit: next SJT test is September 16th at the earliest. I guess I shouldn't have cancelled my July 16th date.

Is it too late to take SJT? I am thinking of just submitting without since it is only "strongly recommended". At this point seems like data collection.

edit: next SJT test is September 16th at the earliest. I guess I shouldn't have cancelled my July 16th date.
no, you should still take it if you're strongly considering Geisinger. It won't delay your app review

I am taking my SJT on August 3rd but I might submit my application before that date. Should I wait to submit my secondary application or will they know I have an SJT score pending for them?

So the consensus is there’s no max word limit? Looks like last year was 1500 characters but they must of changed it.

Just received an II: I was complete on 7/6! I also haven't even taken my SJT yet, so I was surprised. OOS.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
+1 II received today 8/2. I was complete 7/24. IS.

• Love
II today 8/2, IS complete on 7/15 and not planning on taking SJT

• Love
  • Care
II today! IS, LM 74, complete on 7/2, took SJT 7/15

• Love
II today! OOS. Haven't done the SJT, should I still bother?
Also, I don't see an option to choose a date under the "interview" tab. Just "living in scranton" and "sample schedule", anyone else?

Last edited:
  • Love
II today! Haven't done the SJT, should I still bother?
Also, I don't see an option to choose a date under the "interview" tab. Just "living in scranton" and "sample schedule", anyone else?
Congrats! Once you click the "Interview" tab you'll see a calendar. You have to scroll to September or October to see dates, and then you click on the date you want.

Secondary submitted 7/19; marked complete same day

II received today 8/4!!!
Complete 7/13!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I just saw on the MSAR page for Geisinger that we only have 2 weeks to accept/reject an offer after we are accepted. How the heck does that work, especially since they start giving offers in Oct/Nov? In all likelihood, I may not even have received interview for other schools all the way into December and January, so obviously I can't make a decision on Geisinger too soon. Should we schedule interview dates later in the cycle as to avoid getting offers too early? I'm just really confused why this is a policy. It's actually kind of infuriating if this is how it works.
for AMCAS schools, you are allowed to accept and hold on to more than one offer, all the way until April 2022.

Now if you are lucky enough, as time goes on, to get quite a few offers and there are some you absolutely prefer over others, it is considerate to contact the schools lower in your priorities and let them know you are withdrawing from your spot.

Refer to AMCAS PTE and CTE information to see the rules and dates by which you need to narrow your schools down to 3, and then to 1.

Thank you for clarifying. That makes a lot more sense. I just read about the acceptances policy.
It’s a money racket. Schools make you accept early so you have to pay the 1200 holding fee while you wait through the season to actually know where you are going

It’s a money racket. Schools make you accept early so you have to pay the 1200 holding fee while you wait through the season to actually know where you are going
Isn't that for DO though and not MD? That was the main reason I ended up not applying DO because I couldn't afford it.

I think MD tends to be like $100 and I am not entirely sure if that is when you accept it or if it's when you CTE. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Isn't that for DO though and not MD? That was the main reason I ended up not applying DO because I couldn't afford it.

I think MD tends to be like $100 and I am not entirely sure if that is when you accept it or if it's when you CTE. Please correct me if I am wrong!
Most MD schools have a small deposit or none

I signed up for the SJT but now want to cancel it. Do any schools see that I signed up and now am cancelling it?

Hello all! Is anyone having trouble getting their SJT results to this school? I added this school to my list after my SJT and although I filled several authorization forms to release the score to this Geisinger, they said they still have not received it.

II 8/9, Secondary complete 8/1, OOS

• Love
II 8/9. Secondary complete 7/19. IS. SJT results not available yet.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
II received last week. 3.4 sgpa, 3.5 gpa, 513 MCAT, ORM, IS

• Love
Reactions: 4 users