2021-2022 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone explain to me the whole "hold" process. Was just put on hold and slightly confused on whether this is maybe a sign of a rejection or a sign of an interview. Also do all pre-ii rejects get hold status? Like how many people usually come off from it. *Complete late September

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone explain to me the whole "hold" process. Was just put on hold and slightly confused on whether this is maybe a sign of a rejection or a sign of an interview. Also do all pre-ii rejects get hold status? Like how many people usually come off from it
I was rejected after being on hold for like 2-3 months.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Of those who've received acceptances or interviews, I'd like to ask how many have grown up in DC/MD/VA or have other tangible ties to DC/MD/VA?
Went to school for 2 years in VA but that's it and I had an interview

Reactions: 1 user
Of those who've received acceptances or interviews, I'd like to ask how many have grown up in DC/MD/VA or have other tangible ties to DC/MD/VA?
I got an interview with no ties to the area, west coaster.

What was your golden ticket? Did you somehow fit GW's mission really well?
My entire personal statement was about serving underserved populations, as well as my volunteer activities. So I think I fit their mission pretty well for what it's worth, but I was put on the alternate list after my interview soooooo

Reactions: 2 users
I didn’t get an interview and I worked for the SMHS and graduated from GW. Not sure if ties really matter, it’s probably more mission fit oriented.

In what way do you believe your application profile failed to fit GW's mission?

Hi guys,
I have an interview soon, and I’m a bit nervous. Out of all the schools I applied to, there are three I felt I really liked and had a chance with: one I BOMBED BOMBED, one I haven’t heard back from, and this one.

I really don’t wanna bomb.

I’m planning on scrolling through here and the GW interview SDN page, but you know, figured why not just ask.

I’d greatly appreciate any heads up on anything particularly quirky that I should look out for. Any broad general feedback appreciated too!

Hi guys,
I have an interview soon, and I’m a bit nervous. Out of all the schools I applied to, there are three I felt I really liked and had a chance with: one I BOMBED BOMBED, one I haven’t heard back from, and this one.

I really don’t wanna bomb.

I’m planning on scrolling through here and the GW interview SDN page, but you know, figured why not just ask.

I’d greatly appreciate any heads up on anything particularly quirky that I should look out for. Any broad general feedback appreciated too!
Depending on your interviewer, you may have a very conversational interview according to some here or rapid-fire. Traditional questions, it’s closed file, be prepared to answer quickly and concisely in case it’s the latter. Either way, the time will FLY by as it’s much shorter than most other interviews. Breathe and good luck!

Interviewed here, haven't heard back yet. Went to college in DC, and lots of community engagement in the DMV area. I also think I really fit their mission!

For those that were put on hold and got a II, did you guys send any updates or anything in particular?

I was rejected after being on hold for like 2-3 months.
Did they email you about the rejection? I have not gotten any emails from GW. I only know I’m on hold because it says it on my application portal.

What was your golden ticket? Did you somehow fit GW's mission really well?
I honestly am not sure, I was really surprised when I got the interview. I do think I fit the mission well, but I also want to maybe say my background helped as well. I've experienced a lot of set backs like financial issues, losing my mother and etc. but I never gave up and have been working for 6 years to achieve my goal of becoming a medical student while working full-time. I'd say I have an unusual path for sure, so many be that's my ticket with a little bit of luck?

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly am not sure, I was really surprised when I got the interview. I do think I fit the mission well, but I also want to maybe say my background helped as well. I've experienced a lot of set backs like financial issues, losing my mother and etc. but I never gave up and have been working for 6 years to achieve my goal of becoming a medical student while working full-time. I'd say I have an unusual path for sure, so many be that's my ticket with a little bit of luck?
Definitely impressive

For those who interviewed, I know the portal says 8 weeks for a decision but is the wait that long?

For those who interviewed, I know the portal says 8 weeks for a decision but is the wait that long?
I applied both this cycle and last cycle and heard back within three weeks both cycles

... I got waitlisted both times but that's not the point 😂

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
You guys were right, my interview was rapid fire questions!

Reactions: 4 users
Alternate list just now, interviewed 10/1. Seems like the turnaround was quick for me, not sure how to interpret that. Bummed because I was really excited about GW

Last edited:
  • Care
Put on the alternate list today. Heard back pretty fast since I interviewed on 10/12

• Care
Got the R as well, been on hold since mid July
Did they send you an email about the R or just update your portal?
I am on hold too and but I have no clue how long I've been on hold because I forgot that you have to check the portal lol

I am on hold too and but I have no clue how long I've been on hold because I forgot that you have to check the portal lol
email

I apologize if this has been asked before but I had the good fortune of being accepted to GWU at a time when many of my applications to other programs are still being reviewed. Does signing the acceptance offer that GWU provides in their packet in any way bind the applicant to matriculation? If not and there is another program that offers an acceptance that is a better fit, am I able to rescind my acceptance? I am definitely grateful to be holding two A’s but want to let both programs know as early as possible so that another applicant can be released from the alternate list and the school can make preparations to receive me. Thank you all in advance!

where do we submit the PDF with the information for our interview? It says in the application portal so do we just submit it as an update?

I apologize if this has been asked before but I had the good fortune of being accepted to GWU at a time when many of my applications to other programs are still being reviewed. Does signing the acceptance offer that GWU provides in their packet in any way bind the applicant to matriculation? If not and there is another program that offers an acceptance that is a better fit, am I able to rescind my acceptance? I am definitely grateful to be holding two A’s but want to let both programs know as early as possible so that another applicant can be released from the alternate list and the school can make preparations to receive me. Thank you all in advance!
You are permitted to hold more than one offer of admission up until April, when you must narrow it down.
If you have come to a definite decision before then, what you will do is formally contact the school you wish to withdraw from and say "thank you for the offer of admission, but I have decided to attend a different school and I will withdraw from your school."

Email

Hey man, did you get an acceptance packet already? I was an ED acceptance and haven't gotten anything outside of the agreement to sign.

II received today!

Edit: Was on hold since late July, so don't lose out on hope!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 20 users
Hey man, did you get an acceptance packet already? I was an ED acceptance and haven't gotten anything outside of the agreement to sign.
No, I haven’t received any other notification or packet or steps forward since the acceptance offer. It may be that we are still very early in the season. Congrats btw.Also I am visiting DC this week and they told me their admissions office is closed for any tours or meet and greets until they organize something in the spring. I would ask more questions but I guess they are a little restricted due to covid-19. Kinda sucks but I guess I’ll just note it.

For an II, did ya'll get an email or did you just check the portal frequently?

Does anyone know how long people are typically on hold. I was complete mid September, and was placed on hold. It seems some people are on hold for 2-3 months before a R or II, but some people get taken off after a few weeks? Does everyone get put on hold, or do some people get II directly after submitting their secondary? Just trying to figure out if I should hold on to hope.

Does anyone know how long people are typically on hold. I was complete mid September, and was placed on hold. It seems some people are on hold for 2-3 months before a R or II, but some people get taken off after a few weeks? Does everyone get put on hold, or do some people get II directly after submitting their secondary? Just trying to figure out if I should hold on to hope.
Last year I was offered an interview after being on hold for a few months, this year I was offered an interview a few weeks after submitting the secondary. So there is definitely still hope, whether you have been placed on hold or not! Will also add that GW is pretty update friendly (came off of hold last year after submitting a significant update).

Interviewed close to 7 weeks ago, still nothing. Sent updates at 3 and 6 weeks mark. No news good news just saying that for those asking if the wait can be 8 weeks. I guess they can't choose what to do with me.

Interviewed today! It was super conversational unlike some other anecdotes I’ve seen in this thread and it FLEW by. Needless to say I’m super excited/nervous to hear back!

• Care
I interviewed 10/22, I know it wasn't that long ago now but is it a good sign if I haven't been placed on the alternate list yet? It seems like people who interviewed and were placed on that alternate list it happened really quickly for them.

I interviewed 10/22, I know it wasn't that long ago now but is it a good sign if I haven't been placed on the alternate list yet? It seems like people who interviewed and were placed on that alternate list it happened really quickly for them.
I was put on alternate list almost 8 weeks after interview so not really.

Lots of people went straight to AL, lets hope for some good movement this cycle!

Haven't heard anything yet. Been on hold since early August and I'm starting to worry. Is this normal?

Just received my acceptance via email. Interviewed in September — I don’t even know what to say. Overcome with emotion I feel like I’m in a dream. IM GONNA BE AN MD AHHHHH

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 32 users
Does anyone know how GW is about supporting letters post-interview?

Just received my acceptance via email. Interviewed in September — I don’t even know what to say. Overcome with emotion I feel like I’m in a dream. IM GONNA BE AN MD AHHHHH
Congratulations!! That is so exciting :). Out of curiosity when was your interview date?