2021-2022 Graduate School Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Program/School: University of Indianapolis
Type of Program (i.e., PhD, PsyD): PsyD Clinical Psychology
Date Invitation Received: 1/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email from admissions committee
Interview Dates Offered: January 29th or February 5th

Program/School:
Marshall University
Date Invitation Received: 1/14
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email from faculty
Interview Dates Offered: February 12th or 15th

Program/School:
Eastern Kentucky University
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email from program director
Interview Dates Offered: January 22nd, January 29th, January 30th

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
@qyzhu98 Not yet but now I’m terrified, do you think that’s a bad sign? My application on the portal still says “congratulations! Your application is under review”
Is GWU the only school you applied to? I applied to GWU last year and got my rejection decision (with no interview) via email on 1/18. But don't panic, it's probably because there are more applicants this year than last year so the admissions need more time to review :)

Program/School: PCOM
Type of Program (i.e., PhD, PsyD): Clinical PsyD
Date Invitation Received
: 11/23
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email. Interview was on Dec 7
I was waitlisted via email in early January.

As per the other 4 schools, I have not received interviews/rejections. I understand that Ferkauf already sent their invitations. Does that mean I won't be interviewed, or is there another round of interviews? Do they promptly send rejections when you have been removed from their pool of applicants?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As per the other 4 schools, I have not received interviews/rejections. I understand that Ferkauf already sent their invitations. Does that mean I won't be interviewed, or is there another round of interviews? Do they promptly send rejections when you have been removed from their pool of applicants?
When I applied and interviewed for grad school five years ago, I was not notified of a rejection from the schools who did not send an invite. I emailed two that I was particularly interested in in mid-January to ask about my status. Those sites clarified my rejection upon inquiry.

i don’t know how similar or different things are now but I can imagine that sites are still quite busy and that sending rejection notifications may be pretty low priority for them.

tl;dr and IMO - at this point, wouldn’t hurt to ask but I also wouldn’t hold my breath

When I applied and interviewed for grad school five years ago, I was not notified of a rejection from the schools who did not send an invite. I emailed two that I was particularly interested in in mid-January to ask about my status. Those sites clarified my rejection upon inquiry.

i don’t know how similar or different things are now but I can imagine that sites are still quite busy and that sending rejection notifications may be pretty low priority for them.

tl;dr and IMO - at this point, wouldn’t hurt to ask but I also wouldn’t hold my breath
Yup. We often send formal rejections at the same time for everyone we are not admitting. This simplifies the process for our faculty and staff. This means that once we conclude interviews, make offers, have all offers accepted, we classify people on their final outcomes within the school system (admitted, declined offer, rejected by program), with the later triggering letters.

Not sure if we are posting rejections here or if I am simply humiliating myself LOL, but I have received rejections from:
Fordham University
Washington University at St. Louis

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Program/School: DePaul
Type of Program: PhD
Date Invitation Received
: 1/7
Method of Invitation: Phone call
Interview Dates: 2/5
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane
: watching movies with my kids and partner, baking bread.

Only interview so far (1 rejection and waiting on response from 2+ places) BUT ITS MY TOP CHOICE and I'm having so much anxiety. I'm pretty sure there's only one other person who is interviewing with this PI. I have prepared so much for the interview but am nervous about choking up and saying something silly/not well thought out.

What does it mean if you have made the shortlist? How many people make it?

@medicabruja congrats! similar situation here, interviewing this week. I even spent a week studying philosophy lectures, epistemology to methodology to the questions du jour. The corpus of science behind current area interests, the nexus between my projects, next interests, the program's foci. The only thing I haven't done to prepare is get a haircut, but I think I'll get a pass on that ha

Program/School: Nova Southeastern University
Type of Program (i.e., PhD, PsyD): PsyD - clinical psych
Date Invitation Received: 2/2/21
Method of Invitation: Email
Interview Dates Offered: Monday Feb 15th

Program/School: Alliant International University- California School of Professional Psychology
Date Invitation Received: 1/21/2021
Method of Invitation: Email and call from admissions counselor
Interview Dates Offered: March 1

Program/School: The Wright Institute
Date Invitation Received: 2/5/2021
Method of Invitation: Email from director of admissions
Interview Dates Offered: February 26
If & How you're staying sane:keeping myself busy with a FT job and learning French!

What does it mean if you have made the shortlist? How many people make it?
It means that you made the first cut and now its to the extremely competitive stage where only a handful of folks are being seriously considered. Everyone at this point is super well prepared and these decisions are painfully hard.

In terms of how many? It depends on how many slots the professor has, how competitive the pool they had was, and how much they were able to cut off before digging in super deep.

Yeh... I know... it doesn't tell you much. Take this as a sign of being competitive and having done things right, regardless of the outcome. These decisions are extremely hard for faculty to make.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It means that you made the first cut and now its to the extremely competitive stage where only a handful of folks are being seriously considered. Everyone at this point is super well prepared and these decisions are painfully hard.

In terms of how many? It depends on how many slots the professor has, how competitive the pool they had was, and how much they were able to cut off before digging in super deep.

Yeh... I know... it doesn't tell you much. Take this as a sign of being competitive and having done things right, regardless of the outcome. These decisions are extremely hard for faculty to make.
Thank you!!

Program/School: Loma Linda University
Type of Program (i.e., PhD, PsyD): PsyD - Clinical Psychology
Date Invitation Received: 22Jan
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Interview Dates Offered: 25Feb

Program/School: Nova Southeastern University
Type of Program (i.e., PhD, PsyD): PsyD - Clinical Psychology
Date Invitation Received: 3Feb
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Interview Dates Offered: 12Feb --> currently waiting offer/no offer!
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: hiking with my Rottie and collecting plants

Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email from admissions committee

Program/School:
Marshall University
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email from faculty

Program/School:
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email from program director
Congratulations!

If you don't mind, how was your interview experience for EKU? Have you heard back after the interview? Thanks!

Congratulations!

If you don't mind, how was your interview experience for EKU? Have you heard back after the interview? Thanks!
Thank you! I will say that just overall it wasn't the best interview that I had and it wasn't the worst. The faculty are really great and you can tell that they all really want you to succeed. I would say that it felt hectic moving between all of the zoom links and everyone seemed a little frazzled, but as I said, the faculty were great, they asked good questions (answered my questions pretty well), and the students that they had for our Q&A were amazing at answering our questions.

I actually got waitlisted for EKU, and received that decision on February 13th.

Reactions: 1 user

Program/School:
Marshall University

Program/School:
To update...

I got waitlisted at Marshall University as well as Eastern Kentucky University.
I got denied for the University of Kentucky.

I GOT ACCEPTED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF INDIANAPOLIS

Thank you! I will say that just overall it wasn't the best interview that I had and it wasn't the worst. The faculty are really great and you can tell that they all really want you to succeed. I would say that it felt hectic moving between all of the zoom links and everyone seemed a little frazzled, but as I said, the faculty were great, they asked good questions (answered my questions pretty well), and the students that they had for our Q&A were amazing at answering our questions.

I actually got waitlisted for EKU, and received that decision on February 13th.
Heyyyy congratulations!! I am so happy for you. University of Indianapolis is a great program I've heard about it though I didn't apply.
Thank you, for sharing your experience at EKU. I wasn't offered an interview and currently waitlisted. Haven't heard back yet. When did you recieve your rejection from EKU, if you don't mind?
Do you know, are all the acceptance out? Hoping and praying for the best.
Thank you and wish you the best. :)

Heyyyy congratulations!! I am so happy for you. University of Indianapolis is a great program I've heard about it though I didn't apply.
Thank you, for sharing your experience at EKU. I wasn't offered an interview and currently waitlisted. Haven't heard back yet. When did you recieve your rejection from EKU, if you don't mind?
Do you know, are all the acceptance out? Hoping and praying for the best.
Thank you and wish you the best. :)
I didn't receive a rejection from EKU, just a waitlist, on February 13th. All of the acceptances should be out, but they said that people can be taken off of the waitlist until the day before the deadline (April 15th)

To update...

I got waitlisted at Marshall University as well as Eastern Kentucky University.
I got denied for the University of Kentucky.

I GOT ACCEPTED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF INDIANAPOLIS
Another update
got offered admission to Marshall University yesterday!

I didn't receive a rejection from EKU, just a waitlist, on February 13th. All of the acceptances should be out, but they said that people can be taken off of the waitlist until the day before the deadline (April 15th)
Sorry, my bad. My status was updated on 17th March. Unfotuanlety, I was rejected from the EKU waitlist. Congratulations once again. If you wanna connect with a current student from the University of Indianapolis let me know.

I was accepted off the waitlist for UMSL last week! 3rd cycle was indeed the charm.
If anyone has any insider info about St. Louis send it my way!

What are the chances of getting off waitlist at this point?slim?